HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's a better fit for Habs? Kaberle or Kubina?

Old
01-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeysense View Post
We're rebuilding.
Can't say the same for you guys... enjoy your first round exit.
As winners going to the second round, hell yeah!!!

Enjoy the many many many many years of rebuilding, and having a first line center who can't have more than 1 point every two games.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Again, the Leafs are not going to trade one of their top-pairings to a division rival. To even think of it is asinine.
Yeah, like the leafs wanted to trade Sundin for Higgins, but only Sundin wouldn't lift his NTC. Be more realistic, it almost happened and he was worth way more than kubina and Kaberle

Old
01-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Pax Macioretty

How bout this for next year

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Subban
Kaberle-Georges

now woudn't that be the most outstanding top 6 in the history of the NHL

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:50 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Again, the Leafs are not going to trade one of their top-pairings to a division rival. To even think of it is asinine.
I agree they won't. This is a debate as to who would be the better choice if somehow it magically happened.

Plus Burke basically gave a starting goalie to Phoenix last year. So I wouldn't really be surprised if they traded within the division.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:51 PM
hockeysense*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Yeah, like the leafs wanted to trade Sundin for Higgins, but only Sundin wouldn't lift his NTC. Be more realistic, it almost happened and he was worth way more than kubina and Kaberle
Sundin is THIS close to retirement.
It would very very very weird seeing him in a Habs jersey.

I hate you all, but I can at least live with Habs' fans that watch games outside of their own teams - I'm getting the impression that some of you don't.

hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:52 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
We're rebuilding.
Can't say the same for you guys... enjoy your first round exit.
We had our rebuild mode and it was during those hilarious years of the Leafs trading for washed up veterans and getting second round exits themselves. The Habs actually have young contributing players unlike the Leafs of those years. Nice try though.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Sundin is THIS close to retirement.
It would very very very weird seeing him in a Habs jersey.

I hate you all, but I can at least live with Habs' fans that watch games outside of their own teams - I'm getting the impression that some of you don't.
I know you seem to have a hard time to understand this, but the point is THE LEAFS WERE ABOUT TO TRADE SUNDIN TO THE HABS, only Sundin didn't lift his NTC, so your argument isn't worth a dime, as past events shows that they were willing to trade in their division. Only now, would Burke want to do that? Probably not as he was peeved that Gainey didn't give him a call in Anaheim when the Habs traded Rivet to SJ.

Old
01-08-2009, 02:57 PM
hockeysense*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
We had our rebuild mode and it was during those hilarious years of the Leafs trading for washed up veterans and getting second round exits themselves. The Habs actually have young contributing players unlike the Leafs of those years. Nice try though.
How many times have you made it to the Semi-finals after 1993? You know I really have no comeback for this, but since I have to reiterate, the Habs have no chance in hell of making a run with the kind of defense and lack of heart they have right now.

Quote:
I know you seem to have a hard time to understand this, but the point is THE LEAFS WERE ABOUT TO TRADE SUNDIN TO THE HABS, only Sundin didn't lift his NTC, so your argument isn't worth a dime, as past events shows that they were willing to trade in their division. Only now, would Burke want to do that? Probably not as he was peeved that Gainey didn't give him a call in Anaheim when the Habs traded Rivet to SJ.
I saw. Maybe you need help understanding this in crayons, but it's a trade offset by the fact that Sundin would retire before the Leafs go into contention again. Kaberle/Kubina would still be playing most likely.

Understand now?

Old
01-08-2009, 03:11 PM
ugotmybeef*

Burke has no problem trading within in the division. Most of Anaheim's players got traded to LA and Phoenix.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:15 PM
hockeysense*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Burke has no problem trading within in the division. Most of Anaheim's players got traded to LA and Phoenix.
List them. Because I'm pretty sure they won't be of Kaberle's or Kubina's calibre.

Old
01-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
How many times have you made it to the Semi-finals after 1993? You know I really have no comeback for this, but since I have to reiterate, the Habs have no chance in hell of making a run with the kind of defense and lack of heart they have right now.

I saw. Maybe you need help understanding this in crayons, but it's a trade offset by the fact that Sundin would retire before the Leafs go into contention again. Kaberle/Kubina would still be playing most likely.

Understand now?
That kind of defense? You mean the one with the sixth lowest GAA in the league all the while having to rely on their backup goalie for almost 40% of the season because their starter is hurt?

Just because a team wants to add to their defense does not mean it isn't already doing well. But I assume you were one of the Leafs posters who at the beginning of the season actually thought their team had a better top 6 than the Habs.

Sounds like you should start watching other teams...

What do I expect from someone who brags that their team is in rebuilding mode?

Bill McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:17 PM
CPrice

Quote:
List them. Because I'm pretty sure they won't be of Kaberle's or Kubina's calibre.
Why don't you list them and do some of your own research. We could care less about convincing a laughs troll.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Roulin

Quote:
..it's a trade offset by the fact that Sundin would retire before the Leafs go into contention again. Kaberle/Kubina would still be playing most likely.
The way I see things, the Leafs' window, as far as contending, opens when the '09 draft class is ready to contribute. Which means 2013-2014, at the earliest. There just aren't enough good young players/prospects to contribute cheaply until then. The Finger and Blake contracts, and the Tucker buyout, mean the Leafs won't be able to solve anything quickly with UFA's.

Honestly, trading Kubina or Kaberle to a division rival should not be a worry. By the time the Leafs are anywhere near Montreal, Boston or Buffalo's level, those players will be gone or in their declining years.

Last edited by Roulin: 01-08-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:37 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABIMUS-MAXIMUS View Post
I don't see a lot of the Leafs games, so I was wondering for those who know more about them than I do, who's better? Or who's a better fit for us..........PLUS, who would cost more?

Kaberle: Offensive?
Kubina: Defensive?

Thanks for the info.....
I have a leafs phobia ... but their best dmen is van ryn , imo.

I never thought there would be a sustainable thread involving the leafs on the habs board...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:38 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
The way I see things, the Leafs' window, as far as contending, opens when the '09 draft class is ready to contribute. Which means 2013-2014, at the earliest.
They dont have a 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, or a 4th rounder this draft. Unless they acquire some picks, they will not be getting much out of the 2009 draft.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:39 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
They dont have a 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, or a 4th rounder this draft. Unless they acquire some picks, they will not be getting much out of the 2009 draft.
we have a 3rd rounder.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Understand now?
You don't seem to understand that there's barely a one year difference between when Sundin will probably retire and when Kaberle will be UFA. You,re finding excuses because I've shown that your little theory makes no sense whatever. They are willing to trade to a divisional rival even for high end talent. And like someone else said, a rebuilding takes several years and by then Kaberle would hit free agency.

Understand that? (don't answer, it was a rhetorical question)

How can I hope for you to understand when you make comments such as Grabovski outscores The Kost bros, when AKost is 3 points (and 1 goal) away while having played 5 games less, with less time on ice and with a team filled with talent where many other players pitch in.

Old
01-08-2009, 03:42 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I am shocked Eklund hasn't jumped on the NTC of Kaberle and said "Kaberle to MTL (e4)"

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
I'm assuming Kaberle and Antropov will get some 1st rounders back, and possibly Kubina. If they end up with, say, baby Schenn, Kassian and Roy, that's a pretty good core to add to big Schenn.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:45 PM
hockeysense*

Quote:
The way I see things, the Leafs' window, as far as contending, opens when the '09 draft class is ready to contribute. Which means 2013-2014, at the earliest. There just aren't enough good young players/prospects to contribute cheaply. The Finger and Blake contracts, and the Tucker buyout, mean the Leafs won't be able to solve anything quickly with UFA's.

Honestly, trading Kubina or Kaberle to a division rival should not be a worry. By the time the Leafs are anywhere near Montreal, Boston or Buffalo's level, those players will be gone or in their declining years.
That's a very far off time-line and I thank you for being so realistic because it makes a lot of sense. But Burke won't let the team roll over completely until that time. I think what will happen is that the following players are traded within a year's time:

-Kaberle
-Antropov (re-signed later?)
-Ponikarovsky
-Mayers
-Moore (would rather not trade)
-Blake

I think Kubina's safe. After the 2010 draft, there should be a litany of UFAs and RFAs for Burke to consider to start making the team competitive as he continues to retool. I don't see Kaberle being moved to a division rival and while I appreciate the Habs' interest in our players, it's just not feasible - Sundin to Montreal was a confirmed rumour, but it wasn't exactly welcomed with open-arms here in Toronto. I don't see a high-end player with several more years to play at a high-level being traded to a division rival when there are too many unknowns going on with the Leafs right now.

As one of the posters alluded: it's unlikely that Gainey will trade a first-rounder when the draft will be held in Montreal. It's what we expect and have placed a value on of both Kaberle and Kubina.

This whole speculation should just stop. We're more than happy to trade Finger though.

Old
01-08-2009, 03:45 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm assuming Kaberle and Antropov will get some 1st rounders back, and possibly Kubina. If they end up with, say, baby Schenn, Kassian and Roy, that's a pretty good core to add to big Schenn.
I'd b surprised if Antropov was tradedd. But hey I'm just spit balln here

Old
01-08-2009, 03:46 PM
hockeysense*

Quote:
You don't seem to understand that there's barely a one year difference between when Sundin will probably retire and when Kaberle will be UFA. You,re finding excuses because I've shown that your little theory makes no sense whatever. They are willing to trade to a divisional rival even for high end talent. And like someone else said, a rebuilding takes several years and by then Kaberle would hit free agency.

Understand that? (don't answer, it was a rhetorical question)

How can I hope for you to understand when you make comments such as Grabovski outscores The Kost bros, when AKost is 3 points (and 1 goal) away while having played 5 games less, with less time on ice and with a team filled with talent where many other players pitch in.
Is he not out-scoring the Kostitsyn brothers individually? I don't see where I said combined.

Old
01-08-2009, 03:51 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Is he not out-scoring the Kostitsyn brothers individually? I don't see where I said combined.
Hes out scoring them in also gamesplayed, shifts per game, and time per game. Grabovski is forced to play a franchise player role, getting all the ice time he needs. That's why he wouldn't do well here, he didn't have the ice time needed. So its an unfair comparison. They are all in different situations.

Old
01-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Guy Caballero

I could see a Kaberle for Higgins deal going down. With our surplus of young forwards, it seems to make sense to put the money into veteran D.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:54 PM
hockeysense*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Hes out scoring them in also gamesplayed, shifts per game, and time per game. Grabovski is forced to play a franchise player role, getting all the ice time he needs. That's why he wouldn't do well here, he didn't have the ice time needed. So its an unfair comparison. They are all in different situations.
As far as I saw last year, Andrei was getting as much ice-time as Grabovski is now.
In addition, this year... Grabovski is getting 1.5 minutes more than Andrei and just over two minutes more than Sergei. That's not as large of a difference as you're making it out to be. Grabovski rarely gets PP time as well - in fact, both brothers get more than him individually.