HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Streit be booed at the all-star game?

Old
01-08-2009, 04:02 PM
E_Godard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
See this is the thing I don't get. Streit is a supposed All-Star, yet he wouldn't crack our top 7 defensemen. He puts up stats, but he's no All-Star.
Oh please

Quote:
If you look at who they picked, seems like they still pick one player per team, whether official or unofficial.

As for Streit, he's -5. Gorges is +18 and our 5-on-5 play is much, much better than last year. Those things are related. I think we have a better chance int he playoffs this season with our 5-on-5 play so much better.
Is the +- really valid when comparing two players from teams on opposite ends of the spectrum? The Isles have barely won a dozen games this year. It would be a miracle for anyone on our team to have a positive +- rating.

I understand tho.. Losing a player that goes on to excel makes old fans bitter.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-08-2009 at 07:17 PM.
E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
If you look at who they picked, seems like they still pick one player per team, whether official or unofficial.

As for Streit, he's -5. Gorges is +18 and our 5-on-5 play is much, much better than last year. Those things are related. I think we have a better chance int he playoffs this season with our 5-on-5 play so much better.
At the beginning of the season, Gorges wasn't our #4. I thought he would be ahead of O'Byrne, but it was obvious they wanted Hamrlik to take O'Byrne under his wings like he had done with Phaneuf and like Markov did with Komi.

That being said, if we had resigned Streit I'm sure he'd been paired with Hamrlik.

Streit was not the reason our 5on5 wasn't that good last season. He wasn't even used on D that much last year, so..I don't know what he has to do with the 5on5 production.

As for his -5, it's not that bad when you look at the horrible team he's on. It's actually pretty decent when you see only 2players are above -1, and both of them don't even combine for as many games played by Streit.

We could have used him around 14-15min at ES and then use him around 5Min on PP, where he's tied 5th in the league for Pts.

Do you realize he has more points than our leading scorer?

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I agree. I feel much more comfortable.
-5 on the Islanders is like being a +30 in Montreal.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:12 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
Should he; probably not, will he; of course.

Habs fan booed Rivet who was traded after giving 100% every night for his entire career as a Hab.
Rivet .... give me a break.

is it worth a thread ?

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:21 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
Is the +- really valid when comparing two players from teams on opposite ends of the spectrum? The Isles have barely won a dozen games this year. It would be a miracle for anyone on our team to have a positive +- rating.

I agree, but it doesn't make all old fans bitter, just the uneducated ones.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:22 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Watched an interview with Souray yesterday and he reminded reporters that his nickname in Montreal was "lou" and he figures that's how the fans will greet him. Good laugh. If he would have said "Boourns" I'd have spit coffee out my nose.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:30 PM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
I think all the booing will be focused on Crosby so Streit will get a polite cheer.

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrehice View Post
No surprise that our old players are all getting booed at home, but for me, that was always to throw them off their game.

Streit played well for us, and went somewhere where the management actually made him an offer (who can blame him?).

Personally, I hope he doesn't get booed, and gets one of the louder cheers.
Fixed it for ya

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 05:11 PM
mikeg

Somehow, I don't think that the kind of fans that can afford 1,000$ for ALl-Star tickets is the kind of fan that will boo

Edit: Except maybe Chara, or other hated opponents. But not one of our own former players

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 05:35 PM
boredmale

Quote:
See this is the thing I don't get. Streit is a supposed All-Star, yet he wouldn't crack our top 7 defensemen. He puts up stats, but he's no All-Star.

They really have to stop this selecting one player per team deal. It's really weak.
I understand what you are saying, but do you think the fact he is (tied for) the league leader for defensemen in Points has anything to do with his selection? The fact he is doing it on an offensively challenged team makes it even more an accomplishment(to be honest I figured he would get 40-50 points)

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Etienne

I hope he's not gonna get booed. I was never a big fan of him when he was here, but he never complained about being used as forward or things like that.

There's 3 Bruins on the Eastern team. Let's focus on them.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

There's no doubt in my mind that a bunch of gutless cowards, to borrow one a Gainey's expression, will be booing both Streit and Souray. Sad, really, but what to expect from fans with an IQ lower than the downtown rats!

EDIT: If I were there, I'd give them both a good ovation!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:18 PM
TheWhiteTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
There's no doubt in my mind that a bunch of gutless cowards, to borrow one a Gainey's expression, will be booing both Streit and Souray. Sad, really, but what to expect from fans with an IQ lower than the downtown rats!

EDIT: If I were there, I'd give them both a good ovation!
Me too, let's just hope that most people there also thinks that way.

TheWhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:26 PM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Watched an interview with Souray yesterday and he reminded reporters that his nickname in Montreal was "lou" and he figures that's how the fans will greet him. Good laugh. If he would have said "Boourns" I'd have spit coffee out my nose.
Saw that too. Just about lost it, I think the quote was something like "I hope the fans in Montreal remember that my nickname is Looooouuuuuuu"

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:26 PM
ROEN
@OrenWeizman

Studly Wonderbomb will get booed !

Anyone who thinks Streit didn't deserve this should look at where our powerplay ranks

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-08-2009 at 07:19 PM.
ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:34 PM
HabsoluteFate

people who boo him are classless. he never had attitude problems when he was here. montreal never came close to offering what he got...there is nothing wrong with him going for the money....looking at how much he got and what he produces Gainey made the mistake not him

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
people who boo him are classless.
They also pay to see the games, so they can be as classless as they want. Just saying. Remember, we're the team who tossed vegetables at the Commissioner because he suspended a player for attacking a referee. It's not like we got this huge history of class.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:36 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrehice View Post
No surprise that our old players are all getting booed at home, but for me, that was always to throw them off their game.

Streit played well for us, and went where the money was (who can blame him?).

Personally, I hope he doesn't get booed, and gets one of the louder cheers.
Streit's playing for the east, so why would Montrealers boo their own team?

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:37 PM
TheCH*

Why would anybody boo Streit? Him and his agent have publically stated that they threw an offer of $2.5M per year at Gainey, who never even got back to them. We could have had him for a steal. Its Gaineys fault he isn't here no more, Streit actually WANTED to stay but Gainey had not intentions on that which is why he never even so much as countered Streits offer.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:37 PM
DaHabMan

i hope streit doesnt get booed, its not his fault that gainey has a ****** policy for signing ufas but i do hope souray gets booed. I f i remember correctly, during his ufa season, he said the habs had to sign markov first because he was the priority and thats what we did. Then we offered him hamrliks contract and he refused. During the next season, he said he complained that the habs did not respect him and did not make him a priority.....hes a damn hippocryte(sp?) if you ask me and i would boo him if i was there

DaHabMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:41 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post

Oh come on. We're Habs fans in here. We KNOW Streit. He didn't even play as a defenseman last season except for the powerplay. O'Byrne, Brisbois, Bouillon, Dandenault, everybody was ahead of him as a D-man.

I like him as a PP quarterback, but he couldn't even dress as a D for us last season. That's not something alot of people around the league knew last year.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:50 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Oh come on. We're Habs fans in here. We KNOW Streit. He didn't even play as a defenseman last season except for the powerplay. O'Byrne, Brisbois, Bouillon, Dandenault, everybody was ahead of him as a D-man.

I like him as a PP quarterback, but he couldn't even dress as a D for us last season. That's not something alot of people around the league knew last year.
It was Carbo's decision to use him up front. For you to say that Brisebois and O'Byrne are better d-men then Streit? No way. Streit would have made a perfect 5th D for us this year and been racking up the points on that pp. Powerplay is where he really earns his keep.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 07:19 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Streit's playing for the east, so why would Montrealers boo their own team?
that made me lol at first since you make a point...

then i remembered that has never stopped them from booing Brisebois before...

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 07:55 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
that made me lol at first since you make a point...

then i remembered that has never stopped them from booing Brisebois before...
Damn! I completely forgot about that. I must be getting old.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 08:09 PM
HockeyF3ind

I doubt it....since he's going to be playing with Markov, Komi, Price and Kovy...they will probably find themselves cheering him.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote