HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Torp a Bulldog next year?

Old
01-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

vCash: 500
Torp a Bulldog next year?

Don't know if that was mentioned already, but clearly, Niklas Torp wants to come over next year.

"I want to make Montreal but if I have to, then I'd play in Hamilton, that's what I want to do," Torp said. "PK is a really good player, and I hope we'll play on the same team next year. I just need to play a lot of games. I was injured last year and didn't play any games. So I want to come to North America, play a lot of games, and from that I think I can jump to the bigs."

Gauthier considers Torp, taken 163rd in the same draft as McDonagh and Subban, "a prospect," and said that bringing him to Canada next year "is something we'll have to talk about."

http://www.thespec.com/article/491269

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Pascal

Swedish prospects tend to take longer to develop/mature, so i think he'll play with the Dogs for a while... especially with McDo and co. joining him there. The Habs will have a logjam on D, which is never a bad thing.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 09:53 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
This is awesome news.
I hope it is not all talk no action like Emelin and Valentenko whom both deceived this franchise.

Torp had a great tournament and I am excited to see all of these young defenseman chomping at the bit to get NHL action.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Le depisteur

I didn't expected this, it's a very good news!!!

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Pascal

what did you guys see out of him in the WJHC? I only saw him a couple of times in the gold medal game but nothing really stood out.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FrankMTL

He could end up being a little Francis Bouillon version 2.0

I woulden't mind seeing him in Hamilton next year as we could have a lot of d-men rookies making the jump to the 'Dogs. He sure looks like he plays a North American type game and looks like a little pitbull.

What are your predictions for the Bulldogs defence next year?

Mathieu Carle
Yannick Weber
Ryan O'Byrne
PK Subban
Nichlas Torp

Maybe

Ryan McDonagh
David Fischer
Pavel Valentenko
Alexei Emelin
Philippe Paquet (I hope they sign him, really liked what I've seen from him)

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I hope it is not all talk no action like Emelin and Valentenko whom both deceived this franchise.
The door isn't closed with either of them...let's just be patient here.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 09:58 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
what did you guys see out of him in the WJHC? I only saw him a couple of times in the gold medal game but nothing really stood out.
We saw that he's a human torpedo and that he loves launching himself into players for huge hits. Borderline dirty...but i think that style translates well to the North American game. I would love to see him on the ice at the same time as Emelin

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
I thought that he had played a fine tournament until the last game where he was either invisible or not that great, keep being beat for pucks, losing battles, clearly was overpowered during the game......especially on the first goal when the tank with the name of PK Subban just was too strong for him....But then that's what happens with smaller d-man. Who does look strong and feisty, we saw it with the Air Torpedo he did in the exhibition games against Canada....He kinda slowed down on that, great for him. So he is a feisty little player who has a booming shot that wasn't use properly during those Worlds. He should have had more icetime on the PP. I understand not using on the first PP with Karlsson and Hedman but on the 2nd? He would have been an asset and we saw it on the goal he scored but that didn't count 'cause the period just ended. Precise and hard shot from the point. Skates well and works hard.

Obviously, would need to be stronger and use his offensive asset if he has the chance. But I had liked what I'd seen from him at the dev. camp and still think he's an interesting prospect.

Old
01-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Mustafa*

Seriously from next year till a long time Montreal Blue line will be realy domagable for the ennemy, both physicaly and pointwise. We already have one of the best d corp in the league, our top four is one of the best we had since the 93' cup run.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Torp likes to hit people.

However Torp also likes to let people beat him to the puck in the corners so he can hit, rather than take the hit to make a play. IMHO, that's something he'll have to stop as it gives possession to the other team in "our" zone. Something you can work on though, I suppose.

I noticed that in the couple of games I saw him at the WJHC. Admittedly that's a small sample size and in no way allows me to make an informed opinion.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
He could end up being a little Francis Bouillon version 2.0

I woulden't mind seeing him in Hamilton next year as we could have a lot of d-men rookies making the jump to the 'Dogs. He sure looks like he plays a North American type game and looks like a little pitbull.

What are your predictions for the Bulldogs defence next year?

Mathieu Carle
Yannick Weber
Ryan O'Byrne
PK Subban
Nichlas Torp

Maybe

Ryan McDonagh
David Fischer
Pavel Valentenko
Alexei Emelin
Philippe Paquet (I hope they sign him, really liked what I've seen from him)
Something tells me that the Cincinnati Cyclones will have a heck of a defense next year....Not enough room for all these guys that's for sure. And Habs could want to keep some experienced guys like Belle and Henry, so that's 2 less spots right there. Jancevski might go somewhere else or finally be a #7 d-man somewhere in the NHL. But how about Kemp? What if he does better than expected? I don't see Andersen back but it would take way more spots to bring everybody......

So that's probably why Gauthier said "We'll have to talk about it" instead of "We'll be glad to have him..."

I really wish we'd sign Paquet as well. Tons of injuries that slowed down his development but still an interesting package of a shut-down d-man and really tough as nails as well. Seems to me though that if he's signed, he's a candidate for Cincy. I don't expect Valentenko back but that's just my opinion. I would've thought that Fischer might be a candidate to finish his 4 years in College but the way he progresses this year, makes me think he could make the jump next year.....But it's also possible that McDo stays another year to find his 2-way game back a little.

Old
01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

I really wish we'd sign Paquet as well. Tons of injuries that slowed down his development but still an interesting package of a shut-down d-man and really tough as nails as well. Seems to me though that if he's signed, he's a candidate for Cincy.
I never asked myself or anyone before, but can Paquet drop the gloves?

Old
01-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I really don't know. Never seen him fight, don't know if he had despite being in the NCAA. Sure look like he would want to go in a few occasions I've seen him...

Old
01-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Torp does like to hit people, but he is small. He also has leadership qualities and some offensive skills. The coaches in Hamilton are world class and will do a great job with this kid.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Bullsmith

This kid's a better prospect than his draft position would indicate. Don't know if he'll make the NHL, but I bet the Dogs would find him useful. Of course he might be better served staying in Sweeden because there is a LOT of competition coming for pro d slots. What if Fischer and/or McDo turn pro?

Sigh. Sooooooo many d prospects, but none ready to handle a regular NHL shift. Too bad O'Byrne's had such a struggle.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
This kid's a better prospect than his draft position would indicate. Don't know if he'll make the NHL, but I bet the Dogs would find him useful. Of course he might be better served staying in Sweeden because there is a LOT of competition coming for pro d slots. What if Fischer and/or McDo turn pro?
Flip the extras for forwards, of course.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:10 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Swedish prospects tend to take longer to develop/mature, so i think he'll play with the Dogs for a while... especially with McDo and co. joining him there. The Habs will have a logjam on D, which is never a bad thing.
Well, it's never a bad thing for the team but I don't like the fact that we can't maximise our prospect development because of it. A lot of guys could become good bottom pairing or even top 4 Dman if givent the chance to develop properly. O'byrne may be an exemple( I hope not).

It's funny, but I think we need 2 AHlL teams for all the Dman we have coming up.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:26 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

I would think that management will wait and see how McDonagh and Fischer do this year, if they will want them to turn pro or not. With Subban on the way next year, assuming Paquet is signed, and the unknown future of the Russia D prospects, I have to wonder if it wouldn't be better for Torp to stay another year in Sweden if we see a number of D joining Hamilton, as we need to get them good ice time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Don't recall ever seeing or hearing him dropping the gloves.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:30 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
This is awesome news.

Torp had a great tournament and I am excited to see all of these young defenseman chomping at the bit to get NHL action.
Emelin didn't really deceive the franchise. In fact didn't he regret signing in the KHL for two years after it was done? He didn't know about the Habs offer or something along those lines.

Valetenko on the otherhand did act like a ***** and went home like a baby. He'd probably be playing on this team right now because of the injuries.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:38 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

im pretty sure we have to sign fischer or he goes back to the draft

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Freebooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Emelin didn't really deceive the franchise. In fact didn't he regret signing in the KHL for two years after it was done? He didn't know about the Habs offer or something along those lines.

Valetenko on the otherhand did act like a ***** and went home like a baby. He'd probably be playing on this team right now because of the injuries.
Classy.

Valentenko left for the money in the KHL, which he needed because his family is penniless and his father is very ill, and decent medical care in Russia is very expensive. He shouldn't have done it while under contract, but the circumstances are understandable. Calling him names is a little over the top.

Freebooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebooter View Post
Classy.

Valentenko left for the money in the KHL, which he needed because his family is penniless and his father is very ill, and decent medical care in Russia is very expensive. He shouldn't have done it while under contract, but the circumstances are understandable. Calling him names is a little over the top.
You dont know Le_sean? This guy is an internet thug, you shouldn't confront him, he can be realy mean with a keyboard.

Old
01-08-2009, 04:42 PM
peperebougon*

Good to hear!!! I liked the pick from day one... Barring injuries he would have been taken earlier... I love hard hitters

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:44 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want The 25 View Post
im pretty sure we have to sign fischer or he goes back to the draft
No that's not the case. We own Fischer's rights until August 15th, 2010, if we don't sign him then he will become a UFA and we would get the 50th overall pick in the '11 draft.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote