HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Midseason Report Card

Old
01-08-2009, 10:30 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Midseason Report Card

Okay, so we're halfway done.

Flyers after 41 games in 2008 are 22-10-9 for 53 points. Compared to 22-15-4 for 48 points at the same point last year. So I figured we could do a player by player report card, I'll start.

Jeff Carter, 27 G, 17 A, +9: A - Been outstanding all season, we always knew he had it in him, but is shining and completely earned his All-Star berth.

Mike Richards, 15 G, 28 A, +16: A - Can't think of much he could do better. Consummate leader, outstanding special teams player, outstanding ES player, proud to have him as captain.

Simon Gagne, 18 G, 22 A, +18: A - Done a fantastic job bouncing back, hit a cold patch over recent weeks, but still on pace for a 35 goal season and is always excellent in his own end.

Scott Hartnell, 16 G, 14 A, +5: B+ - Still takes his share of stupid penalties, but has really raised his play and proved many doubters wrong (including me ). Indispensable part of our future.

Mike Knuble, 15 G, 11 A, +3: B - It's never pretty with Mike and he's obviously in decline, but he continues to tally goals, particularly on the PP. I am personally a bit scared to see our PP without him. Also don't underestimate his presence as one of the few veterans left on the team.

Kimmo Timonen, 3 G, 34 A, +5: A - Where to begin? Surely the MVP of our team. Has taken his play to another level this season at both ends of the ice. While the emergences of Carter and Richie are publicized, the single most important element in the Flyers' return to contender-status has been the signing of Kimmo Timonen.

Joffrey Lupul, 13 G, 12 A, -4: C+ - I like the guy and he has the tools, but work ethic has certainly been a problem at times. Also injury prone and has been streaky. Despite this weaknesses, he's a strong contributor when used in a top-6 role.

Braydon Coburn, 5 G, 12 A, +2: B - Has undoubtedly regressed somewhat. Not much confidence in his own zone and overthinks way too much. That being said, still plays solid minutes and he's still only 23. Also some offensive potential, should be a 40 point guy.

Scottie Upshall, 6 G, 9 A, +2: B - Maybe not the 50 point guy some of us thought we might have when we acquired him, but is an excellent 3rd liner. He's quick, he's a pest, and he'll put up some points. Needs to work a little more on the double Ds: Discipline and Defense.

Glen Metropolit, 1 G, 9 A, -1: B - Not very noticeable, but he has played with numerous AHLers, defensemen, and disgruntled top-6 forwards and always does a solid job. Shifty little guy who should probably have more than 10 points. Been a very nice signing and has stepped up nicely in Briere's absence.

Daniel Briere, 5 G, 4 A, -3: INC - Not much of an impact due to injury, same concerns remain from last year. Future role remains uncertain.

Ossi Vaananen, 1 G, 8 A, +4: A - Probably the signing of the season for us and one of the steals of the UFA market. Has been solid as a rock and has even put up a few points. Probably directly saved about 5 goals for us in the past 3 games. Hope that he and Parent talk a lot.

Matt Carle, 2 G, 7 A, +6: B+ - One of my personal favorites, his arrival has undoubtedly helped this team jumpstart itself. Still displays some worrying tendencies such as inopportune d-zone turnovers and occasional ill-advised pinches, but has been very good overall, particularly with an inconsistent partner.

Andrew Alberts, 0 G, 9 A, +6: B - Pretty solid acquisition, nothing too special, but has logged nice bottom pairing minutes.

Luca Sbisa, 0 G, 9 A, -5: INC - I am giving Luca a pass here because he's been put in an awful situation that isn't his fault. He should absolutely be back in junior, not sure what Holmgren is doing.

Arron Asham, 3 G, 3 A, E; B - Does what he's paid to do. Decent 4th liner who can step up to play 3rd line if needed.

Martin Biron, 14-7-5, 2.86, .904: C+ - Has been up and down without a doubt, but seems to have turned a corner recently. Still plays behind a leaky defense that gives up too many chances.

Antero Niittymaki, 8-3-4, 2.62, .913 B+ - I'd never trust him as a starter, but he's done a more than adequate job as the backup.

Okay, that's all I'm doing, someone else can do the rest of the roster if they want. Curious to see what you guys think. I gave everyone a fairly high grade, but then again, no one has really underachieved.

I think everyone has done a great job this year considering the injuries, the new faces, and some inconsistent Flyers goaltending.

So great job team, let's keep it up!

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Besides putting a few +++ besides Timonen, there's not much to argue. Well done.

I just wanted to say that Kalinski, Powe, and Ross have performed admirably during their call-ups. I don't understand the icetime that Nodl gets. Cote and Gratton have done their jobs well, even if we'd all like to see Riles win more fights. Giroux would be an incomplete to be fair, but looks promising.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Corduroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Okay, so we're halfway done.

Flyers after 41 games in 2008 are 22-10-9 for 53 points. Compared to 22-15-4 for 48 points at the same point last year. So I figured we could do a player by player report card, I'll start.

Jeff Carter, 27 G, 17 A, +9: A - Been outstanding all season, we always knew he had it in him, but is shining and completely earned his All-Star berth.

Mike Richards, 15 G, 28 A, +16: A - Can't think of much he could do better. Consummate leader, outstanding special teams player, outstanding ES player, proud to have him as captain.

Simon Gagne, 18 G, 22 A, +18: A - Done a fantastic job bouncing back, hit a cold patch over recent weeks, but still on pace for a 35 goal season and is always excellent in his own end.

Scott Hartnell, 16 G, 14 A, +5: B+ - Still takes his share of stupid penalties, but has really raised his play and proved many doubters wrong (including me ). Indispensable part of our future.

Mike Knuble, 15 G, 11 A, +3: B - It's never pretty with Mike and he's obviously in decline, but he continues to tally goals, particularly on the PP. I am personally a bit scared to see our PP without him. Also don't underestimate his presence as one of the few veterans left on the team.

Kimmo Timonen, 3 G, 34 A, +5: A - Where to begin? Surely the MVP of our team. Has taken his play to another level this season at both ends of the ice. While the emergences of Carter and Richie are publicized, the single most important element in the Flyers' return to contender-status has been the signing of Kimmo Timonen.

Joffrey Lupul, 13 G, 12 A, -4: C+ - I like the guy and he has the tools, but work ethic has certainly been a problem at times. Also injury prone and has been streaky. Despite this weaknesses, he's a strong contributor when used in a top-6 role.

Braydon Coburn, 5 G, 12 A, +2: B - Has undoubtedly regressed somewhat. Not much confidence in his own zone and overthinks way too much. That being said, still plays solid minutes and he's still only 23. Also some offensive potential, should be a 40 point guy.

Scottie Upshall, 6 G, 9 A, +2: B - Maybe not the 50 point guy some of us thought we might have when we acquired him, but is an excellent 3rd liner. He's quick, he's a pest, and he'll put up some points. Needs to work a little more on the double Ds: Discipline and Defense.

Glen Metropolit, 1 G, 9 A, -1: B - Not very noticeable, but he has played with numerous AHLers, defensemen, and disgruntled top-6 forwards and always does a solid job. Shifty little guy who should probably have more than 10 points. Been a very nice signing and has stepped up nicely in Briere's absence.

Daniel Briere, 5 G, 4 A, -3: INC - Not much of an impact due to injury, same concerns remain from last year. Future role remains uncertain.

Ossi Vaananen, 1 G, 8 A, +4: A - Probably the signing of the season for us and one of the steals of the UFA market. Has been solid as a rock and has even put up a few points. Probably directly saved about 5 goals for us in the past 3 games. Hope that he and Parent talk a lot.

Matt Carle, 2 G, 7 A, +6: B+ - One of my personal favorites, his arrival has undoubtedly helped this team jumpstart itself. Still displays some worrying tendencies such as inopportune d-zone turnovers and occasional ill-advised pinches, but has been very good overall, particularly with an inconsistent partner.

Andrew Alberts, 0 G, 9 A, +6: B - Pretty solid acquisition, nothing too special, but has logged nice bottom pairing minutes.

Luca Sbisa, 0 G, 9 A, -5: INC - I am giving Luca a pass here because he's been put in an awful situation that isn't his fault. He should absolutely be back in junior, not sure what Holmgren is doing.

Arron Asham, 3 G, 3 A, E; B - Does what he's paid to do. Decent 4th liner who can step up to play 3rd line if needed.

Martin Biron, 14-7-5, 2.86, .904: C+ - Has been up and down without a doubt, but seems to have turned a corner recently. Still plays behind a leaky defense that gives up too many chances.

Antero Niittymaki, 8-3-4, 2.62, .913 B+ - I'd never trust him as a starter, but he's done a more than adequate job as the backup.

Okay, that's all I'm doing, someone else can do the rest of the roster if they want. Curious to see what you guys think. I gave everyone a fairly high grade, but then again, no one has really underachieved.

I think everyone has done a great job this year considering the injuries, the new faces, and some inconsistent Flyers goaltending.

So great job team, let's keep it up!

Great job -- the only grades I would lower would be Metro and Lupul --- Lupul to much talent to be streaky -- Metro -- not all that much of an upgrade over Jimmy "the Brick" Dowd for 2X the salary

Corduroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Gert B Frobe

I'd give Metro and Coburn solid Cs. Both the goalies deserves a C at best too. Asham - C.

Actually for Coburn's potential I might even go with a D.

On the bright side though the Penguins have deserved a big, fat F the last couple of weeks. I love it.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Chainsaw

Quote:

Sbisa is easily an A
18 year old D man getting huge minutes until Carle came to Philly. Has filled in at forward when needed. Has done everythin g asked of him. The fact he's not in junior yet speaks volumes how good Sbisa is, But yes a move to junior is probobly a good idea
Everything else's grades look spot on to me.

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
I'd give Metro and Coburn solid Cs. Both the goalies deserves a C at best too. Asham - C.

Actually for Coburn's potential I might even go with a D.

On the bright side though the Penguins have deserved a big, fat F the last couple of weeks. I love it.
Mountains out of molehills. I think many of us really underappreciate the many solid minutes he does put up. It's true that he is making more blunders this season, but he is becoming independent, which will be much more valuable to us in the long run.

I'd give Carle a lower rating. He seemed great in his first few games, but he has trailed off since then and made countless mistakes.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:32 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
Mountains out of molehills. I think many of us really underappreciate the many solid minutes he does put up. It's true that he is making more blunders this season, but he is becoming independent, which will be much more valuable to us in the long run.

I'd give Carle a lower rating. He seemed great in his first few games, but he has trailed off since then and made countless mistakes.
Only if you look at the bad and ignore the good.

He makes less mistakes than anybody not named Timonen and Vaananen, and has overall been our second best defenseman.

I think a lot of people are still colored by the fact that we traded Downie for him and evaluate him harder.

He's the only defenseman on the team other than Timonen who's the best at something.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:33 PM
TheKingPin

We are doing very well from last year cause this is the time where we lost 10 in a row. If we dont do that then we might push off the Pens/Devils/Rags for the Division.

One thing Id like see improve is our faceoffs. I think we are getting better but it sucks when you want Carter and Richards out there s much and against the other team's best, but you give them the puck right off the bat. I think both players mentioned could be great with all little time.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Tommy D

Quote:

I think you really did a good job on most of the above. However, to be fair I think if Frank gets a B+ then Marty should earn one too.

I would rate them both as C.

Nitty has looked small <short?> recently... perhaps that groin just dosen't let the guy stand up straight!

As For Marty is the Playoffs started tomorrow, I would light a candle.

Tommy D

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:02 AM
broadstreet bullies

Very nice job with the grades, i think they were all done fairly. Just to add a few words, these past couple games i think Alberts has been one of our top defensemen, when we were looking for a D and got him i was extremely pissed, as were many i assume. I wanted Bouwmester but after watchin Alberts in his last 10 games or so i think he was a great acquisition.

Another one would be Asham, not just a fighter but produces out there. he fights when its needed, not just to do so (unlike Cote haha, but i love it on his part!) He doesnt have the stats but has been a great 3rd liner, since our 4th have been all call ups.

Hell ya Flyers! Keep up the good work!

broadstreet bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:11 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Nice feedback, glad to see most of us are concurring that the guys are doing well.

Storm/Dig, I was going to include Gratton, Powe, Kalinski, and etc., but I got tired of typing and looking up stats. I agree that they've been very good though.

I am an admitted Metro homer as well, I really like what he brings to the table, watched him a lot in Boston last year. I still think he's done an underrated job holding our bottom 6 together, he's been the one constant on that unit and they've done a generally good job. Just my .02 though.

Coburn I think a lot of us (including me) have been rough on. He's definitely been rocky, but you have to keep in mind our lack of defensive system/tactics in that. He's not a real cerebral guy, he needs some more instruction IMO and needs to keep the game simple.

As for the goalies, I graded Nitty as a backup and Marty as the starter. Nitty I think has done very well as the backup. He's come in when Marty's needed a break and he stepped up nicely when Marty got hurt. I'd be fine with keeping him around next year.

On the other hand, Marty as the starter has been too inconsistent. Soft goals were a problem, particularly early in the season. He seems to have started to turn it around and is looking solid again, so hopefully it keeps him up, but I can't rate him higher based on his early season performance.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:29 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Always hard to make heads or tails of what a grade is for disparate players. What constitutes an A for Carter is wildly different from what constitutes an A for Asham.

I'd grade by blending 1) performance versus expectations and 2) performance versus you average NHL player:

A - Producing much more than was expected and/or just a fine, fine player:

Carter
Richards
Gagne
Timonen

--------------------

B - Producing better than expected and/or a good player:

Knuble
Hartnell
Coburn
Carle
Upshall