HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JJ as an RFA

Old
01-06-2009, 05:21 PM
grncobra76

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
The Indiana Pacers?
He loves Reggie Miller.

grncobra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

My main concern is that the UFA pool of defenseman is rather weak. It would not surprise me if someone made a push for JJ. Especially if he has a decent rest of the year. I highly doubt that it will be anything we can't match but when is to much going to be to much? Hopefully DL can get a decent contract with JJ.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 06:35 PM
SLang

Well, let's hope that it's not ALL about money (I know, naive, huh?) and that the team culture the Kings are creating, along with the fact that Johnson's around the same age as most of his teammates, and the fact that they're all growing together as players will make Johnson actually WANT to stay in LA.

I know, crazy, huh? A player wanting to be a King. But that's the way it seems to be going......

My biggest concern about Johnson's injury is the fact that he's not been on the ice, or on the bench, during the time this team's been gelling. Anyone know, is he at every game, practice, team meeting, etc?

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Well, let's hope that it's not ALL about money (I know, naive, huh?) and that the team culture the Kings are creating, along with the fact that Johnson's around the same age as most of his teammates, and the fact that they're all growing together as players will make Johnson actually WANT to stay in LA.

I know, crazy, huh? A player wanting to be a King. But that's the way it seems to be going......

My biggest concern about Johnson's injury is the fact that he's not been on the ice, or on the bench, during the time this team's been gelling. Anyone know, is he at every game, practice, team meeting, etc?
I'm pretty sure he's been practicing with them for about a month now, just non-contact.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post

He still practices non-contact, but he undergoes full practices. Also Murray said that Johnson has been traveling with the team this whole time. I think they are trying to keep him with the guys and keep the chemistry fresh.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 07:00 PM
SLang

Cool, I figured as much but good to hear. It's important.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Throwing in the towel usually means the player is dumped for nothing. Getting 4 1st rounders is a gigantic return. 4 years, 12 million I can see. His skating ability alone as a defensemen puts him in a different category. But, if a team makes a 4 year, 16 million dollar offer I take the 4 picks. 4 1st rounders can change the fortunes of the Kings for many years down the road. One thing is for certain, when he comes back from inury he has to step up his game otherwise I would not expect a big raise just on potential alone. If he bombs out to end the season I think it puts Lombardi in a real tough position.
A 4 year, $16 million offer sheet won't bring you close to 4 first round picks (the amounts will change for 2009-10 but not by much).
Quote:
WHAT IS THE COMPENSATION REQUIRED FOR SIGNING A RFA TO AN OFFER SHEET?
For 2008-09, the compensation due for signing a RFA to an Offer Sheet is:

Amount - Compensation Due

$863,156 or less - None
$863,156 - $1,307,812 - 3rd round pick
$1,307,812 - $2,615,625 - 2nd round pick
$2,615,623 - $3,923,437 - 1st and 3rd round pick
$3,923,437 - $5,231,249 - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick
$5,231,249 - $6,539,062 - Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick
$6,539,062 or more - Four 1st round picks

The amount is determined by taking the total compensation due in the Offer Sheet, and dividing by the number of years specified in the Offer Sheet, or five (5) - whichever is less.
http://www.nhlscap.com/offer_sheets.htm

Last edited by Sam: 01-06-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:19 PM
ZedzDead

Before the Bigs Series on JJ

Don't know if any of you have seen this 30 minute show on JJ on FS West. It's a pretty good history of JJ's development. Highlights include his close relationship with Sid. The best part is his MOM telling everyone what the "MF" in JMFJ stands for. They tell his little brother that is stands for "My Friend".

ZedzDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:21 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedzDead View Post
Don't know if any of you have seen this 30 minute show on JJ on FS West. It's a pretty good history of JJ's development. Highlights include his close relationship with Sid. The best part is his MOM telling everyone what the "MF" in JMFJ stands for. They tell his little brother that is stands for "My Friend".

then he talks about how him and Sid beat the hell out of their opposing baseball team because some kid threw at sid.. Jacks a bad ass

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Doughty always seems to make the right play to me, I guess we're watching different games.
This notion that Doughty is playing a near-flawless defensive game out there every night is insane. Doughty HAS been caught flat-footed on many occasions. When we see Doughty flopping around doing the Snow Angel Poke Check that makes Staples Center Ooh and Ahhh, we're seeing a defenseman that is out of position. Take a closer look at which penalties he's been guilty of as evidence beyond first-person anecdotes.

After 39 games, Drew Doughty has taken 16 penalties for 32 PIMs. Of those 16 penalties, Doughty has been guilty of Hooking 6x, Tripping 5x, Interference 2x, Charging, Cross Checking and Puck Over Glass 1x each.

The 13 impedance infractions are concerning, to say the least, but there's no need to panic. Doughty needs plenty of work in his own end if he hopes to be the elite two-way d-man we all hope he can be.

Just for comparison's sake, after 39 games last season, Jack Johnson had 34 PIMs/17 minors. Johnson was guilty of 6 impedance infractions. His penalties breakdown as follows: 3 roughing, 3 holding, 3 slashing, 2 hooking, 2 elbowing, 1 charging, 1 interference, 1 high-sticking and 1 cross-checking.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
This notion that Doughty is playing a near-flawless defensive game out there every night is insane. Doughty HAS been caught flat-footed on many occasions. When we see Doughty flopping around doing the Snow Angel Poke Check that makes Staples Center Ooh and Ahhh, we're seeing a defenseman that is out of position. Take a closer look at which penalties he's been guilty of as evidence beyond first-person anecdotes.

After 39 games, Drew Doughty has taken 16 penalties for 32 PIMs. Of those 16 penalties, Doughty has been guilty of Hooking 6x, Tripping 5x, Interference 2x, Charging, Cross Checking and Puck Over Glass 1x each.

The 13 impedance infractions are concerning, to say the least, but there's no need to panic. Doughty needs plenty of work in his own end if he hopes to be the elite two-way d-man we all hope he can be.

Just for comparison's sake, after 39 games last season, Jack Johnson had 34 PIMs/17 minors. Johnson was guilty of 6 impedance infractions. His penalties breakdown as follows: 3 roughing, 3 holding, 3 slashing, 2 hooking, 2 elbowing, 1 charging, 1 interference, 1 high-sticking and 1 cross-checking.
No doubt his puck over the glass penalty was a brutal rookie mistake but if we're talking who is better positionally and you take Jack Johnson you're crazy. He's a YouTube player at it's finest.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:48 PM
DeeMeck

Jack "Kimbo Slice" Johnson??

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Best case scenario, Jack comes back after the All Star break and nets 5-10 goals over the remaining 40 games and an equal number of assists. With stats like that Lombardi can sign him for three or four years at 3-4 per and I think everyone walks away happy.

As tough as it's been to miss Jack this season, it's only increased the probability of him signing a much cheaper contract.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Brodie562

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Best case scenario, Jack comes back after the All Star break and nets 5-10 goals over the remaining 40 games and an equal number of assists. With stats like that Lombardi can sign him for three or four years at 3-4 per and I think everyone walks away happy.

As tough as it's been to miss Jack this season, it's only increased the probability of him signing a much cheaper contract.
I thought that from the begining, only problem i could see is DL feeling that at this point he's still not worth 3-4 million. He won't give an inch, will JJ?

DL will make a heavy case for JJ to sign cheap (Cammalleri all over again). That would be why i was never happy with the way the Cammalleri situation was handled and what we could be in store for when its time for the other kids to sign their 2nd contracts.

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post

Thrice Doughty is 19 years old and your concerned about his infractions? The guy plays 25 minutes a game he's playing against the best players in the world he's going to get beat many times more in his career. Doughty by far out of any player on the King's should be the person your least concerned about. Let him play and in a few years he will be a top 5 defenseman in the NHL. Now if you want to be concerned think Sniper we have none. Also TM neutral zone trap is going to keep us in games but were going to have alot of 2-1 games.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Thrice Doughty is 19 years old and your concerned about his infractions? The guy plays 25 minutes a game he's playing against the best players in the world he's going to get beat many times more in his career. Doughty by far out of any player on the King's should be the person your least concerned about. Let him play and in a few years he will be a top 5 defenseman in the NHL. Now if you want to be concerned think Sniper we have none. Also TM neutral zone trap is going to keep us in games but were going to have alot of 2-1 games.
That's the point really. Johnson doesn't get cut near the slack that Doughty in this regard, and it's silly. Jack Johnson DID NOT suck last year, and he was game in and game out one of our best defensemen, and yet there are still people who want to trade him because he didn't score 20 goals last year.

As I've said for years the Kings don't deserve a Cup because their fans are too big of idiots to learn from the past, be patient and let these kids develop before we trade them the first time that they don't live up to expectation.

Hell if it were up to some Kings fans, Brown would have been traded two years ago. But hey, such is the wisdom of Kings fans. Oh, well.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:57 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
That's the point really. Johnson doesn't get cut near the slack that Doughty in this regard, and it's silly. Jack Johnson DID NOT suck last year, and he was game in and game out one of our best defensemen, and yet there are still people who want to trade him because he didn't score 20 goals last year.
even with how crappy our defense was last year, this statement doesn't hold water. come on man...

that said, trading him is silly. But he's no Doughty, there is definately a difference between the two.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
even with how crappy our defense was last year, this statement doesn't hold water. come on man...

that said, trading him is silly. But he's no Doughty, there is definately a difference between the two.
Huh? Did you not watch the Kings last year? Easily.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:19 AM
JMFJ 3

I could see JMFJ signing a similar deal to Patrick O'sullivan after next season, can't wait till he comes back in early February.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:17 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post

that statement actually does hold plenty of water.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post

As I've said for years the Kings don't deserve a Cup because their fans are too big of idiots to learn from the past, be patient and let these kids develop before we trade them the first time that they don't live up to expectation.

Hell if it were up to some Kings fans, Brown would have been traded two years ago. But hey, such is the wisdom of Kings fans. Oh, well.
Thank you.

I get attacked by some Kings fans on the main boards by making these same statements, but it's nice to see Kings fans that know better.

Good on you.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote