HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The real target should be...

Old
01-09-2009, 09:34 AM
gusfring

vCash: 500
The real target should be...

Nathan Horton. This is the kind of guy we need. I think we can help our defense with a lower priced guy, like Preissing, and save our cap space for Horton.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:37 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Nathan Horton. This is the kind of guy we need. I think we can help our defense with a lower priced guy, like Preissing, and save our cap space for Horton.
Kaberle plz

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Fire Brunet*

Ovechkin plz

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:38 AM
AH

Horton is a poser.

That's all we need, a big dude who doesn't know how to 'bring it'.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:43 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
no thanks. he is big but doesn't use his size all the time, besides we already have a center that can put up the same type of point totals. he wears a turtleneck !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:10 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Horton is a poser.

That's all we need, a big dude who doesn't know how to 'bring it'.
How many games have you seen him play this year? I guarantee that Horton is not a guy that will be the least bit intimidated in a play off series against Philly or Boston - something that I can't say about some of the forwards we have now.

Old
01-09-2009, 10:14 AM
AH

I have seen plenty. Guys like him should not be on the trade market. But he is. There has to be a reason for it.

Old
01-09-2009, 10:45 AM
gusfring

Quote:
I have seen plenty. Guys like him should not be on the trade market. But he is. There has to be a reason for it.
So all guys on the trade market suck?

Old
01-09-2009, 10:48 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Kinda like how if Laraque was as good as we thought he was going to be, Pittsburgh would've re-signed him :

All though, I still think Laraque if he actually PLAYS can be effective for what he is there for.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:48 AM
AH

Quote:
So all guys on the trade market suck?
Guys who are supposed to be franchise players who make $4 million per year long term should not be on the trade market.

Old
01-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Roulin

Picking up Horton could work for the Habs. His ability to play center or wing would give Gainey some more options this offseason. However, with the current surplus of forwards, with a number of them becoming UFA's, the timing might be better for this trade in June.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:02 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
How many games have you seen him play this year? I guarantee that Horton is not a guy that will be the least bit intimidated in a play off series against Philly or Boston - something that I can't say about some of the forwards we have now.
Our boys kept up physically in the playoffs against both those teams you mention.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Guys who are supposed to be franchise players who make $4 million per year long term should not be on the trade market.
Franchise players don't make $4 million a year long term. Horton is NOT a franchise player.

But I'd take him on my team in a heart beat! Size, grit and skills, something we truly lack. On the other hand, we have too many dipsy-doodlers, players in the same mold, such as Andrei and Sergei, Plekanec, Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay, D'Agostini, Higgins (to a lesser point). Nothing wrong with that type of players, but I'd like a better balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Our boys kept up physically in the playoffs against both those teams you mention.
No they didn't. They got pushed around way too easily.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-09-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Horton and the Florida Panthers if they keep this up are gonna end up being buyers at the deadline

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:07 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
No they didn't. They got pushed around way too easily.
Don't kid yourself. The whole talk during the boston series is how we were the more physical team! Everybody noticed this, not just habs fans.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Don't kid yourself. The whole talk during the boston series is how we were the more physical team! Everybody noticed this, not just habs fans.
I'm not kidding anyone, especially not myself. I've watched the series, no worries.

Old
01-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Panthers are in it. For Horton they'd want someone who can produce similarly so we'd be making some sort of a lateral move.

We could add a big guy, but his effort-level is inconsistent and he has little to no playoff experience.

Makes for good discussion but realistically we have the luxury of time and players returning to the line-up. At the deadline the Habs needs will be clearer.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Nathan Horton plays with very little grit or passion or effort. Ask the Panthers fans on their board.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Nathan Horton plays with very little grit or passion or effort. Ask the Panthers fans on their board.
Horton has 45 hits so far this season. Although not an amazing number, he would still be 5th on our team in that category.

One thing that people need to consider as well is the fact that the motivation might simply not be there anymore for Horton in Florida. I remember when we traded for Kirk Muller from New Jersey. His production wasn't what it could be but he sure turned it around when he came here, in a hockey environment.

Horton is Canadian and I feel that he just needs a shot in the arm, getting back at playing the game that he loves and where better than in Canada to do that?

Old
01-09-2009, 12:50 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Horton has 45 hits so far this season. Although not an amazing number, he would still be 5th on our team in that category.

One thing that people need to consider as well is the fact that the motivation might simply not be there anymore for Horton in Florida. I remember when we traded for Kirk Muller from New Jersey. His production wasn't what it could be but he sure turned it around when he came here, in a hockey environment.

Horton is Canadian and I feel that he just needs a shot in the arm, getting back at playing the game that he loves and where better than in Canada to do that?
Perhaps, but why would the Panthers trade Horton if they're in playoff position? It's no secret that Jacques Martin desperately wants to make the playoffs, might even be necessary to save his job. Maybe they'd trade him sure, but it's likely they will want an upgrade? Or another top-six forward? I doubt Montreal will part with that kind of player.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:00 PM
WeezyHabFan

No, we dont need him. We need JayBo!!

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
No, we dont need him. We need JayBo!!
It would be nice to get both in a package but like I said right now the Panthers might wanna gamble and take a shot at the playoffs and maybe trade for some players show Bouwmeester that they are serious and getting him under contract long term before July 1

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Stan

I'd trade Plekanec and a mid prospect for Horton. Maybe throw in a draft pick. I agree. I think we need a player who goes to the net.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Lone Rogue

The real target should be Mario Lemieux. He's just sitting in the offices of Pittsburgh because the team has three top centers. Mario is always ready for a comeback, so why not pick up Super Mario? He's French Canadian, a big center, it makes sense!

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Stradale

I want the other Kovy.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote