HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Laraque will be back when his mind is on hockey

Old
01-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Okay I have another name in mind....let's use the Tampa Bay Lighting and let's go get Artyukin.....Anybody interested? As great as their latest trades, were we may have that giant for cheap and he's a pretty good skater for a guy his size.
Interesting idea, he played great against us. Unfortunately, judging from Bolts fans' comments, and his numbers on the year (he gets outshot by the opposition, worse than any Tampa forward other than Roberts), I think we saw him play way over his head.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Bet you it’s because he doesn’t like fighting and he realizes he has no other choice if he’s going to play.
For $1.5 million a year and a no trade clause and the ****ing fact I'm a Quebecer in front of my fans, why the **** wouldn't I want to fight?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
No real source, just a thread that will stir up a bunch of **** from the overreacting contingent on the board.

I've got 6 pages before it's closed. Anyone else?
I'd like this thread to be closed right ****ing now. The usual hate, i can't stand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Interesting idea, he played great against us. Unfortunately, judging from Bolts fans' comments, and his numbers on the year (he gets outshot by the opposition, worse than any Tampa forward other than Roberts), I think we saw him play way over his head.
He's not a figther, he's a chacker, i dont see why he would replace George.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:13 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Bet you it’s because he doesn’t like fighting and he realizes he has no other choice if he’s going to play.
He's been fighting his whole career...was he expecting to play with Kovalev now that he signed with us or something?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:14 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
For $1.5 million a year and a no trade clause and the ****ing fact I'm a Quebecer in front of my fans, why the **** wouldn't I want to fight?
Read about what it's like to be a fighter, read the comments of guys that have done this for a living, then you'll have your answer.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
We should've picked up that David Koci a while back, he's almost as big as Chara, even though the latter kicked his ass a while back.
In the category of "should've", Brashear have contacted the Habs a while back to come back and play for us.....the top heavyweight from Laraque's mouth himself, and a better hockey player, better skater.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
.... help indeed with this dumb post.

This thread is intensely stupid and a good reason not to visit these boards between games.

Even managed to draw a Bruins troll, wtg OP.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Roulin

I wonder if Edmonton would still want BGL? I'd take Stortini for him in a second.

Old
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
No real source, just a thread that will stir up a bunch of **** from the overreacting contingent on the board.

I've got 6 pages before it's closed. Anyone else?
I heard Marinaro talking about the signing, didn't hear that exact comment, not saying he got it wrong, but context has never been our strong point here. Add that Tony M is usually speculative and doesn't spend time around the rink on a daily basis.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
.... help indeed with this dumb post.

This thread is intensely stupid and a good reason not to visit these boards between games.

Even managed to draw a Bruins troll, wtg OP.
Why is it dumb? It's his job to fight, he chose to do that, he should just do it.

Simple as that, really. :p

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:17 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I wonder if Edmonton would still want BGL? I'd take Stortini for him in a second.
Stortini is the worst fighter in the league and an all-around joke. You must be kidding.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Team 990, mid morning guy. I heard him talk about how by next year and the year after, the contract could be a burden, but didn't here that quote, so I'd wonder about context. He was the first, to my knowledge to announce that the CH had the inside track on signing him.

I think they're frustrated that they appear to have signed damaged goods.
That's what it looks like to me too.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Stortini is the worst fighter in the league and an all-around joke. You must be kidding.
Back to back fights involving Kosto and Stortini and I guarantee you the opponent scores 5 unanswered goals right after.....

Old
01-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
In the category of "should've", Brashear have contacted the Habs a while back to come back and play for us.....the top heavyweight from Laraque's mouth himself, and a better hockey player, better skater.
I think it's quite debatable.

George Laraque 651GP 52G 98A 150Pts 0,23PPG

Donald Brashear 962GP 85G 119A 204Pts 0,21PPG

Old
01-09-2009, 02:23 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
That's what it looks like to me too.
Carbo made a comment about him not being able to put a string of games together, and I took it that the frustration was that if he's hurt, stay off the ice or seek medical help, but stop the 1 game in 1 game out stuff.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I think it's quite debatable.

George Laraque 651GP 52G 98A 150Pts 0,23PPG

Donald Brashear 962GP 85G 119A 204Pts 0,21PPG
Not necessarily as far as stats are concerned, but all-around game. Especially since Brashear is a much better skater. He plays much better defensively. In the end, you don't really care if those guys put some points on the scoreboard, still you want them to give you some momentum and mostly not being scored on.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:24 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Back to back fights involving Kosto and Stortini and I guarantee you the opponent scores 5 unanswered goals right after.....
Oh boy...that's too much hugging for me to take...

Old
01-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Stortini lol.

Seriously guys, we don't know what's up yet. I'd be very suprised if Laraque can't handle "the pressure", what pressure? The guy is paid to fight, not to play hockey.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:26 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Carbo made a comment about him not being able to put a string of games together, and I took it that the frustration was that if he's hurt, stay off the ice or seek medical help, but stop the 1 game in 1 game out stuff.
Exactly the way I took it, unfortunately that won't stop the lemmings from reading too much into Marinaro's comments

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Not necessarily as far as stats are concerned, but all-around game. Especially since Brashear is a much better skater. He plays much better defensively. In the end, you don't really care if those guys put some points on the scoreboard, still you want them to give you some momentum and mostly not being scored on.
Are we realy saying that Brashear is a responsible defensive player? Maybe better than Laraque because he can retreat faster. Laraque is more dominant in the offensive zone he protects the puck better, and he manhandle other players more than Brashear.

Seriously we got laraque on a 3 years contract, people should realy calm down and let him heal, when he will be back for good everybody will look back and laugh at what we said.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Nope, dead serious. I don't care if the guy loses every fight he gets into, as long as he does the job. And Stortini is a much better player than BGL.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:31 PM
wolfinhabsclothing

This whole debacle is a great lesson in why you should NEVER, ever, ever sign an enforcer, in his 30's, to a long term contract. These guys stay in shape, fight, and contribute all they can when they're on one-year deals and don't know where, or if, they'll be playing next year. Sign a guy like Laraque to a three-year deal and he knows he has a meal ticket and watch him show up out of shape and unwilling to go at it. Sorry, but Laraque gets a big fail from me so far. To those who can say he can keep up and actually play hockey - I haven't seen it so far this year.

Incidentally, we had to sit Begin to get Weber in the lineup yesterday. In time, Koivu, Higgins, and Tanguay will make their way back to the lineup. Where exactly does everyone think Big George will fit in when he's ready to go again? I just don't see a way he makes it back in the lineup. It's a crying shame that D'Agostini, Chipchura, and Pacioretty will likely wind up back in Hamilton when (if?) we're finally clear of injuries.

My guess is that Big George gets bought out at year's end and the Habs go back to trying to punish people for taking liberties via a great power play.

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Nope, dead serious. I don't care if the guy loses every fight he gets into, as long as he does the job. And Stortini is a much better player than BGL.
Please... if what we want is our players getting their ass kicked we already have Kostopoulos filling that position. Losing a fight is NOT doing the job, that's why Kostopoulos fights are non-factors.

Be serious for a moment. Arrête de niaiser là.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Please... if what we want is our players getting their ass kicked we already have Kostopoulos filling that position. Losing a fight is NOT doing the job, that's why Kostopoulos fights are non-factors.

Be serious for a moment. Arrête de niaiser là.
Again, I'm being absolutely serious. Kostopolous and Bouillon fought so that D'Agostini and Komisarek didn't have to, they get punched a cople of times, and the Habs win 6-2. That's doing the job. If Bouillon had punched May more times, do you think the Habs would have won 8-1? Honestly, the Habs don't need a super-heavyweight. Someone like Stortini can fight guys like May to a draw so that Kostopolous or Bouillon doesn't have to, and then the game goes on.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Thinkbig

He saw Bye Bye 2008 and freaked out!

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote