HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kaberle hints at waiving his no- trade as per TSN

Old
01-08-2009, 04:11 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Fly high, while I respect your opinion normally, I disagree. If the cap stagnates, it means salaries will to, since most FA contracts were based on the fact the cap would increase.

I think we will see Briere waive his NCM before this team deals Carter. Gagne is a matter of health, but he is still only 27.

Plus, if we are in cap trouble, so are a LOT of teams. This team will make sacrifices to keep Richards, Gagne and Carter as it's core.
I don't think so. I mean hypothetically, what if the cap stays at 56 mill? If Carter puts up 45 goals for the next 3 seasons, he will find a team that will pay him 7 mill, even with the cap stagnating. A team like ATL or the NYI with no long term commitments would absolutely love a stud like Carter to build around and they'd be willing to pay a lot for him.

And there's no way Briere is waiving his NMC, he moved down here, he signed an 8 year deal, he put his kids in school here, he's staying, so I don't think it's realistic for him to decide to pack up and leave.

And I think we'll be in more cap trouble than most teams, let's look at our 3 year commitments.

JVR (assuming he signs, which he will)
Lupul
Briere
Gagne
Carter
Richards
Kimmo
Hartnell
Carle

That's literally 41 mill in commitment we have without including JVR. Lupul leaving isn't going to solve that. Guys are going to get dealt and Gagne is one of the very few on that least who will be relatively expendable.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Why would you trade your young and promising prospect for an old-ish defenseman when we have our D pretty figured out as is?

Last edited by Pwood: 01-08-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I don't think so. I mean hypothetically, what if the cap stays at 56 mill? If Carter puts up 45 goals for the next 3 seasons, he will find a team that will pay him 7 mill, even with the cap stagnating. A team like ATL or the NYI with no long term commitments would absolutely love a stud like Carter to build around and they'd be willing to pay a lot for him.

And there's no way Briere is waiving his NMC, he moved down here, he signed an 8 year deal, he put his kids in school here, he's staying, so I don't think it's realistic for him to decide to pack up and leave.

And I think we'll be in more cap trouble than most teams, let's look at our 3 year commitments.

JVR (assuming he signs, which he will)
Lupul
Briere
Gagne
Carter
Richards
Kimmo
Hartnell
Carle

That's literally 41 mill in commitment we have without including JVR. Lupul leaving isn't going to solve that. Guys are going to get dealt and Gagne is one of the very few on that least who will be relatively expendable.
Lupul is less expendable than Gagne?

Old
01-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
I think JVR and Jones is a great idea. Since we're already a few mill over the cap with Briere coming back...the best thing to do would probably be to go even further over the cap.
Great Post

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:58 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwood View Post
Lupul is less expendable than Gagne?
Lupul is definitely gone already, just a matter of time at this point.

The point is that we're going to have to lose Lupul and Gagne.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Mike Richards 18

Breire is easier to move then most think. im not saying it will be easy but look what has happened to players in the past with NMC. yes we may not be able to move him but its not completely impossible.

IMHO lupul is gone long before gagne s name is even thought about.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Lupul is definitely gone already, just a matter of time at this point.

The point is that we're going to have to lose Lupul and Gagne.
You have to move Gagne? I think if we see Gagne in another jerseys it's because of a rental in the last year of his contract or he signs with someone else as a UFA.

Old
01-08-2009, 05:16 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 250
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I liked Kaberle a year ago. Not anymore. We really dont need him and anything we'd have to give would be too much.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 05:33 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Jones and JVR for Kaberle???

For a guy named "facts" you threw out one truly hilarious offer.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 05:42 PM
mm6492

We could preessure Briere to waive his NMC, if it came to that. It may not be easy, and it may not be the nicest or best thing to do publicly, but if its neccesary, we would take that step

also, hartnell would be goone before gags (if healtrhy) IMO. I lovce Hartnelland I understand what he does for this teams. But Gagne is a top 10 winger in the NHL, he is good offensively and defnsively, he can put up points on the PP, he can PK, he can do everything

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
We could preessure Briere to waive his NMC, if it came to that. It may not be easy, and it may not be the nicest or best thing to do publicly, but if its neccesary, we would take that step

also, hartnell would be goone before gags (if healtrhy) IMO. I lovce Hartnelland I understand what he does for this teams. But Gagne is a top 10 winger in the NHL, he is good offensively and defnsively, he can put up points on the PP, he can PK, he can do everything
Which is why other teams want him and why I highly doubt we'd give him up.

Old
01-08-2009, 07:16 PM
silver surfer

vCash: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
3 thoughts:

1) Salary doesn't work, would have to shed 3-4 mil more in payroll

2) Kaberle's style of play is fairly redundant considering our current defense

3) Not a way in the world I'd deal JVR for Kaberle
Agree on all points. Although I've admittedly never been a huge fan of Kaberle. He looks good on a bad team, but I think he would look absolutely average on a good team.

The thing I can't figure out, is if the general consensus is that he's a great puck moving D-man with a cap friendly contract, why wouldn't the Leafs want to keep him and build around that??? They seem pretty eager to get rid of him.

silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Terence Peterman

in the debate to move gagne or carter it makes more sense to move gagne because of two facts: 1) carter's a center. 2) JvR plays wing. it just makes sense.

i'd hate to see gagne go, but if we're talking logic here, he'd be gone in such a situation. it doesn't matter if he's a top ten winger in the league, because JvR could be the same damn thing, especially at that point. and carter could very well be a top center in the league at that point.

And how many times do people have to see that hartnell does things NO ONE else on this team does? i don't see him going before gagne at all. at the time we'd even be considering this, knuble would be well out of the picture, and gagne would be closer to redundant, while more expensive at the same time.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 09:04 PM
ELab2

Kaberle is not what we need. If we're going to add someone I'd be looking who plays solid D and is very physical.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:53 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

You were going to give up Carter and a 1st last year for him, what will it take this year.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaLeaf View Post
You were going to give up Carter and a 1st last year for him, what will it take this year.
a lot less. he's unnecessary and redundant on this team as of now.

Old
01-09-2009, 03:09 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
a lot less. he's unnecessary and redundant on this team as of now.
Holmgren disagrees with you, those slow footed defenceman will be exposed come playoff time. You don't appreciate what he brings to the table, this isn't the 70's.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
That was before carter scored 27 goals in 40 games

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Holmgren disagrees with you, those slow footed defenceman will be exposed come playoff time. You don't appreciate what he brings to the table, this isn't the 70's.
They will not get an offer that even includes carter unless they are giving us a 1st++

Kaberle didn't want to coem here last year, well have fun where ever you go. Jeff Carter is, what, 23?? He is in teh all star game, on pace for 50+ goals while being a great PK'er for us

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
i'd say, "are you serious?"

but i'm just going to say, "go away" as nice as possible.

go away.

Old
01-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Raffl House

Can we just /thread this? This thread to me is like saying "hey, Radulov feels like coming back to the US, we should take a look" or "I think that Redden might become available, but they want JVR."

It's useless, pointless, and does not fit what this team needs or what they should do in any format.

I'm fairly confident that Timonen, Coburn, and Carle are here to lead us into the future, especially if Coburn can overcome his struggles this season and Carle can continue to improve at the rate that he has.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Holmgren actually disagrees with you. I don't think you've taken cap figures into consideration. Pre-cap era...were possibly interested, but not with Carter involved at this junction.

Where we stand today, Kaberle doesn't fit a team 'need'. We now have Carle, were good.

Thanks for coming out.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post

Thanks for coming out.

We're so mean. I love it.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:09 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
Well, we all appreciate the time you took to post here telling us what is wrong with Flyers defence without bothering to actually research who the Flyers have on defence. I wouldn't say Timonen, Coburn, Carle, Sbisa, Jones, Alberts are what you would call slow-footed defencemen, even probably our worst skating defenceman Vaananen is an average skater.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:49 PM
CharlieGirl
Go Rangers Go

Quote:
You're right. It's not the 1970's. It's not 2006 either.

Watch the game tomorrow night, and tell me which Flyers defenseman is slow footed.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote