HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque will be back when his mind is on hockey

Old
01-09-2009, 02:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Please... if what we want is our players getting their ass kicked we already have Kostopoulos filling that position. Losing a fight is NOT doing the job, that's why Kostopoulos fights are non-factors.

Be serious for a moment. Arrête de niaiser là.
Kosto fought artuykhin, got destroyed. Artuykhin was quiet physically rest of game.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Lebeau47

vCash: 500
yadda yadda yaddda

yea lets trade BGL so we can get bounced from the second round of the playoffs, BGL serves almost no purpose in the regular season, look at our record

hes not in shape thats it thats all, and it doesnt really matter right now cuz we only need him come grind time, however yes i would be upset if i was carbo and BGL shows up to camp out of shape and pulling groins left and right

and for everybody complaining when he does play he doesnt fight LOL, do you guys actually watch the games, he challenges people when its needed however unfortunately only about 30% accept the challenge because he is THE CHAMP of the league

as for tony maranara sauce, some of you guys are taking his words for like gold, come on, sure he has "some connections" but theyre not that serious, i mean to be honest with you the whole habs coverage on team990, although they are good guys it is a lil amateur night at the apollo

this team is perfectly fine the way it is for this year, this team is matured and just looking for the playoffs, they coasted the first half of the season and still ended up with better stats in pretty much every category except the powerplay (which means nothing in the playoffs) so calm down and leave BGL alone, the time when his job really starts hasnt even come up yet

Lebeau47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

BGL was practicing off the ice today, BTW. So he's not missing anymore.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:48 PM
wolfinhabsclothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebeau47 View Post
yadda yadda yaddda

yea lets trade BGL so we can get bounced from the second round of the playoffs, BGL serves almost no purpose in the regular season, look at our record

hes not in shape thats it thats all, and it doesnt really matter right now cuz we only need him come grind time, however yes i would be upset if i was carbo and BGL shows up to camp out of shape and pulling groins left and right

and for everybody complaining when he does play he doesnt fight LOL, do you guys actually watch the games, he challenges people when its needed however unfortunately only about 30% accept the challenge because he is THE CHAMP of the league

as for tony maranara sauce, some of you guys are taking his words for like gold, come on, sure he has "some connections" but theyre not that serious, i mean to be honest with you the whole habs coverage on team990, although they are good guys it is a lil amateur night at the apollo

this team is perfectly fine the way it is for this year, this team is matured and just looking for the playoffs, they coasted the first half of the season and still ended up with better stats in pretty much every category except the powerplay (which means nothing in the playoffs) so calm down and leave BGL alone, the time when his job really starts hasnt even come up yet
Uh, I don't know what you mean by "grind time", but if you're suggesting that Laraque will play in the playoffs you're sorely mistaken. The only ice BGL will see when the games really count is in his drink in the press box. Look at our depth at forward - who do you take out to make room for him:

Lang, Andrei, Sergei, Plekanec, Kovalev, Pacioretty, Lapierre, Latendresse, Kostopoulos, Chipchura, Begin, D'Agostini, Koivu, Higgins, Tanguay, Maxwell (in Hamilton) - I don't see where George fits in unless the Habs trade several forwards for a big name player (D-man). He needs to pass four of those guys on the depth chart IMO to be the #12 forward. Perhaps he's ahead of Maxwell, maybe Chipchura and D'Agostini depending on the opponent, but who else? I'd rather have Max Pac or Begin in the lineup - sorry.

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:49 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

Practice ... we talkin'bout practice ???

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Oh boy. Here we go again. Enough gossip material for everyone for a few weeks.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

I couldn't care less if he plays another game all season, as long as he's ready to go in the post season. IMO if we meet Boston 1st or 2nd round we could be in trouble without GL it'll be just like last year. 2 rounds against 2 physical teams and their big guys running our without protection we're done for again. If it isn't GL then someone in comparison plz

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I wonder if Edmonton would still want BGL? I'd take Stortini for him in a second.

Is this what happens when do you don't have a true heavyweight for a couple of years? You get this clueless about the concept of fighting or intimidation. A point has to be made, alot (most but whatever) have never played the game at a relatively high level and simply have no idea whatsoever of how players like Laraque or Brashear or Boogard ****s with other players minds.First andd foremost, and please get this threw your heads for the last time .They don't prevent hits from happening because no player can, i.e the Sauer/ Kostitsyn story, Brashear nor Boogard nor Stortini () could or would of done anything to prevent it. No real heavyweight goes after players for the hell of it. Yes some explode once in a while, some more often then others. There use is to prevent players form checking with high elbows, it's to prevent some players of taking liberaties with Price or Halak, it's so that stronger players like Brashear or Niel to run their mouth off and challenge everybody who's unmatched, thus brigning our confidence to a low like it has been done many times before. I'm flabergasted with our last game againts Ottawa plus yesterday's fiasco how some of you can even question the use of a heavyweight goon. Now, would it be better if he was healthy half the time, hell ya it would! But what are we supose to do, you think this is bad, look at the Wild with how Gaborik's hip injurie keeps on haunting him this year. I had the exact same thing 2 years ago. For a moment i thought i was never going to get rid of it. You can't start bashing players because of injuries and if we have to lose him to a surgery so be it. Call Flynn or go get somebody off waivers for the rest of the year. Better off having a Georges Laraque well rested and healthy for 2 full years after.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post

Is this what happens when do you don't have a true heavyweight for a couple of years? You get this clueless about the concept of fighting or intimidation. A point has to be made, alot (most but whatever) have never played the game at a relatively high level and simply have no idea whatsoever of how players like Laraque or Brashear or Boogard ****s with other players minds.First andd foremost, and please get this threw your heads for the last time .They don't prevent hits from happening because no player can, i.e the Sauer/ Kostitsyn story, Brashear nor Boogard nor Stortini () could or would of done anything to prevent it. No real heavyweight goes after players for the hell of it. Yes some explode once in a while, some more often then others. There use is to prevent players form checking with high elbows, it's to prevent some players of taking liberaties with Price or Halak, it's so that stronger players like Brashear or Niel to run their mouth off and challenge everybody who's unmatched, thus brigning our confidence to a low like it has been done many times before. I'm flabergasted with our last game againts Ottawa plus yesterday's fiasco how some of you can even question the use of a heavyweight goon. Now, would it be better if he was healthy half the time, hell ya it would! But what are we supose to do, you think this is bad, look at the Wild with how Gaborik's hip injurie keeps on haunting him this year. I had the exact same thing 2 years ago. For a moment i thought i was never going to get rid of it. You can't start bashing players because of injuries and if we have to lose him to a surgery so be it. Call Flynn or go get somebody off waivers for the rest of the year. Better off having a Georges Laraque well rested and healthy for 2 full years after.
You think having BGL in the lineup is going to keep guys like Downie and Ruutu from running the goalie? You think Grabovski won't high stick Kovalev in the face because he'll have to fight Laraque? Come on. Ruutu elbowed Lapierre in the face earlier in the year, and BGL was ON THE ICE. These guys aren't going to be intimidated out of doing what got them to the NHL in the first place.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:10 PM
wolfinhabsclothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NhlGuy View Post
I couldn't care less if he plays another game all season, as long as he's ready to go in the post season. IMO if we meet Boston 1st or 2nd round we could be in trouble without GL it'll be just like last year. 2 rounds against 2 physical teams and their big guys running our without protection we're done for again. If it isn't GL then someone in comparison plz
Again - he has ZERO chance of playing the post-season - just like he hardly dressed in the post-season for Pittsburgh. Carbo/Gainey aren't going to sit a Begin, Kostopoulos, or even a kid like Pacioretty to play Laraque. If they do, the other team has already won half the battle.

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:11 PM
bib
#believe

This is stupid, and here is what really happened in Pittsburgh:

Carbonneau also announced that winger Georges Laraque will be placed on the injured reserve list and will return to Montreal. "He hasn't been able to play two games in a row for us and we have to get to the bottom of this," Carbonneau said of Laraque's recurring groin problem.

http://habsinsideout.com/main/13029

You don't place players on injury reserve because they've been blogging. Laraque has been on the injured reserve since December 27 because of his groin, and that's all there is to it.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Fido22

So this "controversy" comes out the day after it was apparent we could of used BGL last night.

Ah, the coincidences in life....

You can almost do a play by play of how some of this stuff is made up.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
You think having BGL in the lineup is going to keep guys like Downie and Ruutu from running the goalie? You think Grabovski won't high stick Kovalev in the face because he'll have to fight Laraque? Come on. Ruutu elbowed Lapierre in the face earlier in the year, and BGL was ON THE ICE. These guys aren't going to be intimidated out of doing what got them to the NHL in the first place.
People exaggerate exactly when an enforcer is supposed to come in.

The truth is, Grabs high stick on Kovalev last night wasn't malicious or Kovalev would have been laying. Another truth is that Toronto was not a threat to anyone in Montreal. Their toughest guy was May, and all May did was fight Cube.

BGL's job isn't more defined until the second half of the season when games (like Toronto) get heated up. The first half there isn't much to do. It's when the playoffs are really on the line and the health of your stars is important. So far, with exception to the Komisarek fight, none of the Habs injuries are due to malicious moves by opposing players. That's a good thing.

Laraque does follow the code too close to the wire, but if management sends him a direct message, I wonder how aggressive he'll be to ensure he keeps a spot in the NHL. If Laraque is bought out because he wasn't aggressive enough, I don't see how people would take a chance on him. He'll be looked upon as a glorified heavyweight, not an enforcer. That's the real importance here.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
I made my point about Ruutu earlier, he's a clown who has to play dirty and duck because if not he would be out of an NHL job, he has no choice but to hope he keeps all of his teeth at the end of this season. After that happend he ran towards Bouillon because he was scared that Laraque would jump him (if you don't remember). Good luck expecting Zach Stortini would make a difference

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
It's hockey!!! there will always be cheapshot! We need BGL to take care of Grabovski! are you joking again? Ruutu got himself suspended instead of facing george Laraque. This would have been **** fest if Laraque wouldn't have been on our team.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing View Post
Again - he has ZERO chance of playing the post-season - just like he hardly dressed in the post-season for Pittsburgh.
Laraque played 15 games for Pittsburgh last year in the playoff. I wouldn't call that "hardly dressed".

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:22 PM
znk

It's Tony Marinaro speculating...

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Lebeau47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing View Post
Uh, I don't know what you mean by "grind time", but if you're suggesting that Laraque will play in the playoffs you're sorely mistaken. The only ice BGL will see when the games really count is in his drink in the press box. Look at our depth at forward - who do you take out to make room for him:

Lang, Andrei, Sergei, Plekanec, Kovalev, Pacioretty, Lapierre, Latendresse, Kostopoulos, Chipchura, Begin, D'Agostini, Koivu, Higgins, Tanguay, Maxwell (in Hamilton) - I don't see where George fits in unless the Habs trade several forwards for a big name player (D-man). He needs to pass four of those guys on the depth chart IMO to be the #12 forward. Perhaps he's ahead of Maxwell, maybe Chipchura and D'Agostini depending on the opponent, but who else? I'd rather have Max Pac or Begin in the lineup - sorry.
since when did the nhl roster limit become 50 players? by the time the playoffs come around chips, maxwell, dago and unfortunately as much as I like him too MaxPac will be back in hamilton

dandy will be back by playoff time too

and it has nothing to do with offensive skill depth when it comes to playoffs, BGL has played in the playoffs before and contributes, unless you wanna get bounced from the playoffs early again BGL is in the lineup

Lebeau47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Why is it dumb? It's his job to fight, he chose to do that, he should just do it.

Simple as that, really. :p
Because it's been answered hundreds of times and on these very boards and still people have to ask "why doesn't he fight all the time?"

And because you brought up a 'Quebecer' playing at home as a reason to go around picking fights.

There's more to a 'policier' than picking fights with every idiot on the ice, and pummeling people who run goalies and throw dirty elbows does nothing to stop them from doing it again.

NOTHING. Get it though your head - pounding the crap out of people who play dirty doesn't stop them from playing dirty against your team. Zero, zip, nada.

Having the threat of being pounded - there are players out there who back off due to that threat. But some players truly don't care, and will just retaliate after a beating by throwing an even dirtier hit.

So then we're supposed to retaliate in kind? How does this end?

I am reminded of Ken Dryden's stance on fighting in hockey every time I see people posting how BGL is being too clean, or not fighting enough. Bah.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:31 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebeau47 View Post
since when did the nhl roster limit become 50 players? by the time the playoffs come around chips, maxwell, dago and unfortunately as much as I like him too MaxPac will be back in hamilton

dandy will be back by playoff time too

and it has nothing to do with offensive skill depth when it comes to playoffs, BGL has played in the playoffs before and contributes, unless you wanna get bounced from the playoffs early again BGL is in the lineup
aren't we allowed to carry extra roster players in the playoffs?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:35 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
It's Tony Marinaro speculating...
short simple, but true. Unless we learn to read the lines, we can't read between them.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Good luck expecting Zach Stortini would make a difference
The reasons I mentioned Stortini:

- Edmonton made an offer to BGL, so would be a likely trade partner
- Stortini is cheaper than BGL
- Stortini can actually play the game, and not bleed goals against

Quote:
It's hockey!!! there will always be cheapshot! We need BGL to take care of Grabovski! are you joking again?
Exactly, that's what I'm saying. There will always be cheapshots. Don't expect BGL's presence to deter anyone.

Quote:
Ruutu got himself suspended instead of facing george Laraque. This would have been **** fest if Laraque wouldn't have been on our team.
Oh really, like what? Ruutu would have elbowed Lapierre, poked Plekanec in the eye, and stolen Gorges' lunch money if BGL wasn't there? Come on, BGL didn't prevent anything from being a "**** fest."

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:38 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
Because it's been answered hundreds of times and on these very boards and still people have to ask "why doesn't he fight all the time?"

And because you brought up a 'Quebecer' playing at home as a reason to go around picking fights.

There's more to a 'policier' than picking fights with every idiot on the ice, and pummeling people who run goalies and throw dirty elbows does nothing to stop them from doing it again.

NOTHING. Get it though your head - pounding the crap out of people who play dirty doesn't stop them from playing dirty against your team. Zero, zip, nada.

Having the threat of being pounded - there are players out there who back off due to that threat. But some players truly don't care, and will just retaliate after a beating by throwing an even dirtier hit.

So then we're supposed to retaliate in kind? How does this end?

I am reminded of Ken Dryden's stance on fighting in hockey every time I see people posting how BGL is being too clean, or not fighting enough. Bah.
So laraque is there to be a threat. People would think twice, but the people who do it anyway...nothing happens. It's at that point he should fight. No one's asking him to pick a fight, but if the really dirty players are going to be dirty anyway, and he's not going to do anything about it, what's the point? Did he scare the legit players away? Because i was really worried about the clean hits and soft players. Know what I mean? No one expects him to fight every game(actually some do, and it's crazy) but we expect this guy to be able to play 2 games in a row, to play a regular shift , to defend his teammates...but he rarely does it. He goes around asking people, fine, but for 1.5 million I could go ask people questions too. We want him to be intimidating, he does that, but when push comes to shove, when the going gets tough, the tough need to get going, if they don't, they're useless. You're telling us this guy is worth 1.5 mil just because of his name? It's crazy. He lives off a reputation. If his name were Scott Smith and he were the same age, doing **** all, same contract, he would've been traded or put on waivers right now. People j!zz in their pants when they hear his name. I actually got fooled, i'm not a fan of fighting but sometimes I'd start thinking "laraque is going to teach those goons a lesson", boy was I ever wrong. He asks them politely, they say no, he returns to the bench. He barely hits either, he's slow as ****, he's one of the few players on our team with a negative rating on plus minus. He's out of shape.

I honestly feel like laraque gained his reputation in the NHL. He said he'd never come to mtl because of the media. Now he's come, it's not because he changed his mind, but he now knows his reputation can retract any comment someone makes about him. So he came here when his reputation was at his peak, he has nothing to lose, nothing to prove. He came home to retire.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

His mind is off hockey?I knew he would join "les gangs de rues" when he signed here

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:42 PM
mcphee

Quote:
The reasons I mentioned Stortini:

- Edmonton made an offer to BGL, so would be a likely trade partner
- Stortini is cheaper than BGL
- Stortini can actually play the game, and not bleed goals against

Exactly, that's what I'm saying. There will always be cheapshots. Don't expect BGL's presence to deter anyone.

Oh really, like what? Ruutu would have elbowed Lapierre, poked Plekanec in the eye, and stolen Gorges' lunch money if BGL wasn't there? Come on, BGL didn't prevent anything from being a "**** fest."
If fighting is part of the game, you pretty well need a guy willing, but it helps if he can at least win his fair share. I'm not arguing what should be, just the effect that it has on a team. In the long run, I don't think players really want loose cannons running around, esp. on a skill first team, it creates a sideshow that works against your strength.

Laraque's presence matters imo, maybe not that much in the playoffs but in molding a team atmosphere heading in, it matters. They all love Kostopolous but I'm sure they'd admit to enjoying seeing Laraque win a few. I wouldn't say he's a pure deterrent, but he stabilizes to an extent.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote