HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just curious how you feel about the All-Star game?

Old
01-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Bruins8778

vCash: 500
Just curious how you feel about the All-Star game?

hey,

I'm a Bruins fan and I actually appreciate the passion you guys have for your team and usually end up hanging out with Montreal fans after the games here in Boston because I enjoy talking hockey with you.

My question is basically, what's the consensus among Montreal fans about the All-Star voting? It seems like the voting process was taken advantage of and will now have to be changed because of this. Do people in Montreal feel a little frustrated that their fans would ruin the voting process or is it more of a proud feeling that you got your players voted in when you obviosuly know that some of those players should not be starting?

Bruins8778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:56 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I think they should do away with the fan vote altogether but at the same time, if Montreal fans (or any fans) want to vote in someone who isn't deserving, then more power to them. The only thing I had a problem with were the people using scripts and bots and the like.

The way I see it, if people don't like it, they should complain to the NHL...not to the Hab fans who only playing by the rules.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Iwishihadacup

It was fair, if a fanbase wanted to elect a player in, they could do it

But the vote manipulating that the penguins got at the end was ridiculous

I'm sure that if the All star game is hel in Boston one day, and that your fanbase/city/bandwagoners wants some of your players In, and that you manage to put 4 of your guys in, I won't complain

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:12 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
It's a proud feeling. It's our 100th year, city's buzzing, we want our players to play with the elite, to be part of it. Some may not be deserving, but they are our all-stars. We respect them and are showing them how much we do.

That being said, the voting is a joke. They should make the players vote who gets in. However, the league prob wants fan interaction or something, so I don't know how we can change this. They should do 1 per account, one per phone # if they keep it this way.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Darz

The all-star game is useless. The voting process is useless. The league would be better off scheduling the game for the offseason and deciding on the players that should go...and not worry about having to take one player off each team. That wasn't so bad in a 21 team league, but in a 30 team league, it's a joke.

01-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
It's a proud feeling. It's our 100th year, city's buzzing, we want our players to play with the elite, to be part of it. Some may not be deserving, but they are our all-stars. We respect them and are showing them how much we do.

That being said, the voting is a joke. They should make the players vote who gets in. However, the league prob wants fan interaction or something, so I don't know how we can change this. They should do 1 per account, one per phone # if they keep it this way.
That's a good idea. But as you say, the league wants the fans to have a say in all of it. I'd let the players vote the players into the all star game, but I'd let the fans make the lines and the defensive pairings.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:18 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
How about players/coaches/Gms vote players(but they can't vote their own team) and the top players make the team. After that, fans vote starting line up out of those selected.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Yup, that would be an alternative.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Magic33

It might not be fair that other quality players dont get a shot at the game. However, it is not our fault, which is why i dont feel bad. Everyone has the same opportunity to vote. Its cool to see habs fans come together and vote. Also, the game means nothing, so once again I dont feel bad. If it were like baseball where the all-star game meant something, then it would be a different story. Right now, its just a good time.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

vCash: 246
Booo Luke Schenn in the youngstars game.

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

The voting process is a joke,however they let fans decide who to vote in the All Star game therefore we shouldn't be punished because we voted more then others or have a bigger fan base.Should Kovalev be a Starter?No but we wanna see him there and at the end of the day that's all that matters.Pens cheated too but the league didn't do anything so screw them,their system and the all star game

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

I'm excited to watch the game as I have been for every all-star game, I can't remember the last one I missed.

The amount of whining that has gone on from other fan bases is astonishing. If people really don't care about the game like many say they don't, what is the big deal with who starts then. There are glaring omissions every year (Kovalev last year), this year will be no different.

Any fan base could have voted their players in but Montreal fans mobilized and voted their favorites in during their centennial year celebration, oh how classless. This is not the the first time as there were questions of ballot stuffing from Dallas, Atlanta and San Jose in the past.

Anyways it will be fun to watch......................................... Chara get booed!

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:57 PM
7th Player

It will be the best ASG......EVER!!!

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Turbo

-Each fanbase votes for their top 2 or 3 representative candidates

-The all-star game coach from each conference must take a player from each team (15 players), preferably the #1 choice of each fanbase, but it's at their discretion to take the #2 or #3 choice if there are too many forwards, defensemen, or goalies, or if a completely asinine vote took place for one of the teams (i.e. fitzpatrick).

-The rest of the line-up is then filled by the all-star coach with the other conference all-stars

---
reasoning:

-this keeps the fan participation and voting

-since each fanbase only votes for their own players, you don't have the same kind of abuse we've been seeing

-maintains the at-least-one-player-per-team standard that seems obligatory

-since there is some discretion given to the coach, it can counter fitzpatrick-type jokes

-you don't need to worry about the league omitting a good candidate from the ballot - each team has their own ballot with all their players on it, so fans can nominate who their think their actual "all-star" has been since the season started.

EDIT: the "starters" can either be selected by the coach or better yet, put to a new vote by the fans in the last 2-3 weeks before the ASG weekend, after the line-ups are revealed, and they can even add some suspense by announcing them just before puck drop.

Last edited by Turbo: 01-09-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I feel no embarrassment by the way our fans voted. Fan voting is designed to get people to vote for their favorite players and that's what people here did. If they didn't, we'd have a wonderful all-Penguins lineup including a goalie that is not as good as Price and a couple guys who have been injured all year.

I don't really like the concept of fan voting, but I absolutely hate the implementation of it. If the NHL wants to have voting, fine -- let each person vote once per valid email address or phone number. I don't think text votes should be allowed by team either, just individual players. It was extremely lame that anyone could just text the team's name to the same number 10 times in one message and rack up thousands of votes like that.

The problem is the system, not the fans.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Lone Rogue

The All-Star Game is a circus show so fans can see the best players in the league at mid point play a meaningless game of hockey and go through stupid human tricks like skill competitions for bragging rights.

It means absolutely nothing, and as such, should be viewed as nothing but pure entertainment.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Mustafa*

we were striped from 20% of our vote when they found out about the script. This vote was great, i beleive we are all proud to have proven once again that we are the best fan base in the NHL.

And by the way this thread is clearly trolling.

Quote:
It seems like the voting process was taken advantage of
Quote:
Do people in Montreal feel a little frustrated that their fans would ruin the voting process or is it more of a proud feeling that you got your players voted in when you obviosuly know that some of those players should not be starting?

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
although the game is always a little boring...

cant wait for the whole weekend... its gonna be crazy in the city

Kovalev is gonna leave u speechless

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins8778 View Post
My question is basically, what's the consensus among Montreal fans about the All-Star voting? It seems like the voting process was taken advantage of and will now have to be changed because of this. Do people in Montreal feel a little frustrated that their fans would ruin the voting process or is it more of a proud feeling that you got your players voted in when you obviosuly know that some of those players should not be starting?
Well, I haven't watched an All-Star game in over a decade, didn't vote for any players this year, generally think it's all a waste of time, etc. But that said, I still find myself taking mild issue with the bolded phrases above.

The voting process that was in place was used by some fans, not by others. Blame the NHL for putting in a dumb process, or blame some fans for not making full use of it if they cared so much. Some of our fans, some Penguins fans, seem to have cared. Good for them if they did, I say. The process wasn't ruined by anybody's fans. It's just a dumb process that the NHL put in place.

I think I'll probably try to watch this All-Star game. It's in Montreal and there are 4 Habs in it, so it's worth a shot. I appreciate the efforts of those fans who worked hard voting to make that happen. At least for now. If Komisarek or Kovalev get hurt there and the game hurts my eyes to watch, then maybe in hindsight I'll wish our hardworking fans hadn't worked quite so hard to get them in the game.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:19 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

F the all star game, it's f'ing stupid and boring and I wish no Habs played in the game so they can rest up for games that are actually worth watching. Kovalev should have a field day though

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Plekanetzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
F the all star game, it's f'ing stupid and boring and I wish no Habs played in the game so they can rest up for games that are actually worth watching. Kovalev should have a field day though
The All-Star game is boring but the skill competition is fun to watch

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Treal

I can't believe people care that much about the All Star game, it's amazing. Script cheating aside, the people who voted fairly should feel no shame at all. The point of the "game" is to vote for whoever is on the ballot. People shouldn't have the Scoring Leaders list in hand when they make their choice.

I'm so tired of hearing people say the "so and so deserves/doesn't deserves" argument. I wish I could take them all to my job and let them tell my boss that I deserve a raise and my coworker doesn't because I was shut down pretty quickly

Treal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:34 PM
zx81

They should cancel this totally uninteresting event and just finish the season a bit earlier.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:40 PM
habdynasty

The good old all-shiny game, I have not watched one these games for about 10 years but seeing the game is in montreal I will probably watch the first period. Quick prediction west 17 east14....

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Habs

The process and weekend has been polluted for years now. Every year 5-6 undeserving players are voted in, without too much of a wimper. Now that Montreal fans take the initiative to actually vote for their own players, the league takes notice.. lol

The irony in the uproar, should not be lost on anyone, who actually gives a crap about the ASW.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote