HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"So Much (Scoring) Funk We All Get Seconds!" - 1/8/09 - Nashville vs. Pittsburgh

Old
01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
I liked what I saw from Santorelli... his passes were sharp, through traffic.

Erat had a good game, you could tell he was frustrated after he scored.

I felt bad for Ellis, I mean to get pulled for the 2 goals that were scored... He was ticked too I read a quote:

I know why Trotz did it and it worked out, but still.

It's going to be interesting to see what Trotzy does with Sully.
I read that quote too..what does he mean by last year exactly?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:30 PM
katzencd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
I felt bad for Ellis, I mean to get pulled for the 2 goals that were scored... He was ticked too I read a quote:

Quote:
Dan Ellis - "I think it was stupid. Bottom line. It's the exact same thing as last year. So yeah I was frustrated. Absolutely. I can't stop both teams."

I know why Trotz did it and it worked out, but still.

It's going to be interesting to see what Trotzy does with Sully.
RollingPredFan, where did you find this quote from Ellis? Anyone else think we saw the end of the Ellis-as-starter era last night? Trotz said he was just trying to change the teams luck with the change (Rotoworld), but that was an awfully quick change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
The only time Mi. Santorelli's line got pinned in the d-zone is when VK failed to keep a puck in at the blueline resulting in an odd man rush the other way. Sure the puck was bouncing but he played it the same way Zidlicky used to.... Why is it that "offensive" defensemen from Europe don't understand that the most important thing is "keeping the zone" and not making SportCenter?
I'm a BIG fan of Koisti's. It looked like the coaching staff must have told the D-men to start jumping the plays last night in an attempt to create some opportunities. I noticed Zanon and Klein pushing into the offensive zone several times as well last night. Koisti's worth having just because of his offensive awareness, and if the coaches tell their defensemen to sell out and take risks, the players can't be blamed if they get burned. I thought the Koisti - Klein pairing worked well. I also liked the first two lines last night; Trotz should keep those two lines in tact and let Sully work his way back in slowly.

katzencd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzencd View Post
RollingPredFan, where did you find this quote from Ellis?
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Brand...h-5-3/94/18773

At the bottom. I'll re-post my commentary on Felder's use of the quote as soon as the NP.com boards decide to start working again...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:07 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
2 thoughts

1. I was going to stop by the Pens GDT and talk some hockey but there are a few posters over there spitting venom on the Nashville name and now Im glad they lost.

and speaking of jerks...

2. did anyone see Mark Howard's interview with Sidney Crosby's father?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
1. I was going to stop by the Pens GDT and talk some hockey but there are a few posters over there spitting venom on the Nashville name and now Im glad they lost.

and speaking of jerks...

2. did anyone see Mark Howard's interview with Sidney Crosby's father?
uh, yeah. WTF was that all about? I guess we all know where Crosby gets his crybaby skills from.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
uh, yeah. WTF was that all about? I guess we all know where Crosby gets his crybaby skills from.
Yeah, his dad was either paralyticaly nervous or a total jerk. He didn't even look at Mark, gave the stupidest answers I have ever heard, and frankly, he pissed me off and I wasn't even the one giving the interview.

01-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
that's why I'm a fan of Nashville North

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Brand...h-5-3/94/18773

At the bottom. I'll re-post my commentary on Felder's use of the Ellis quote as soon as the NP.com boards decide to start working again...
As promised...

First, from this morning as I was rushing to get to practice:
Quote:
Sorry, know I'll take heat on this opinion, but that is irresponsible for Felder to print that quote. He essentially just went to a guy that was yanked out of the game and not allowed to continue trying to help the team, only to see the team comeback and win with him on the bench. Ellis is a professional hockey player, this is his lively-hood, he is going to be upset, he should be upset, that shows he is passionate.

However, for Felder to give him a baited question in a situation where I'm sure that he wanted nothing more than to get changed and go home, that is irresponsible. Sit on that quote. Don't print it and certainly don't put a player in that situation publicly where he is criticizing the coach. It is irresponsible. If anyone thinks Ellis and Trotz didn't talk by now...a goalie getting pulled is going to be addressed face to face prior to the practice the next day at the latest.

Felder, I know you read these boards, to me printing that quote shows me a lack of understanding of the game, the way the team works, and most importantly the player-coach relationship. You don't put a player in that situation minutes after the game ends and the adrenaline is flowing. If you were approached by that player, then go for it - they want it printed and are trying to get attention. But printing that you asked that question, then actually printing the answer given is something I think that is very amateur and unnecessary.
And my follow-up from this afternoon, after I returned from practice:
Quote:
Still feel the same way about Felder as I did earlier, probably even stronger now. Thanks to Boro for pointing out his own remarks in his running game commentary. I was at the game and have no intentions of ever reading through that. Therefore, based on his own words, he asked a loaded question to an upset individual and got the response he wanted. That's where the disconnect comes from in my opinion. Last night's story should have been about the TEAM sticking together despite being down 3-0 and scoring five unanswered goals in about every conceivable way to comeback and win the game 5-3. That was a team effort where no one player was head and shoulders above the rest. They all busted their butts and gave it their best effort while they were out there - and that includes Ellis.

My biggest problem has to come from the idea that Felder, who is an outsider regardless of credentials - he is not a full-time media member and does not travel to games or attend practice on a daily basis, went into the locker room and sought out Ellis to ask that question. Yes, he was there to do his job and got other quotes, but from his own words, it is clear that he approached Ellis and he asked what is clearly a loaded question to illict the response he got. What makes this worse in my opinion is that he just threw the quote out there. It isn't part of a story, doesn't have any commentary to go along with it, and really isn't a part of the storyline from last night. What is the point of the quote? Was it necessary to prove to people that Ellis didn't like getting pulled? I'd be more concerned if Ellis didn't care, that would be a big story to break and an important piece of information to be shared.

Honestly, I've gone to his blog on a couple occasions to read the quotes. I think it's interesting and provides a peek inside the locker room on most nights. But I have to weigh that against someone trying to create a story based on their feelings, which is what this quote is a prime example of to me. It was unnecessary, unprofessional, and amateur. Feel free to report what you see and what you hear (within reason - common sense has to be applied and there are certain things that are never reported regardless of what market you are in), but don't go into that locker room to seek out an impact quote from an individual high on adrenaline and emotion that they might regret when they see it in print. Felder sought out Ellis. Dan was not preaching this standing in the middle of the locker room for everyone to hear. Felder used a question designed to get one response and one response only. Felder got that response and then did the disservice of taking it outside of the locker room and sharing his opinion through the words of Dan Ellis.

As FCM said, that is the type of behavior that might allow you to keep your press credentials, but will ultimately make it near impossible to do your job because no one will want to get played like that if they can help it.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:58 PM
darth5
No!

Crosby's dad came off as a total jerk. Maybe he gets tired of similar questions week after week, too freaking bad. He raised a prodigy for a sport that needs good ambassadors. And he gets the benefit of that gold mine indirectly I am sure. That is just the price you have to pay. Nothing comes free.

If you don't want to talk, just refuse the interview off-camera. At least then the whole TV audience doesn't see you for who you are.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:00 PM
darth5
No!

Oh, and I completely agree with your analysis, SLake, on quoting Ellis like that. Felder is pretty stupid if he does not understand what asking that question post-game is going to result in. I don't have a sky-high opinion of Brandon but I think he is at least that smart.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
braindead

I came back to this thread today to post about Crosby's dad so glad to see I wasn't the only one in awe of his jack-assedness. Felt sorry for Mark Howard. Particularly the question where he lobbed up a chance for dad to talk about Sid's off-ice charity work and he gets the complete dust-off. He could take some lessons from his son who, while he can be a crybaby, works hard to promote the game in a professional manner. 30 seconds ruined his dad's reputation for a few hundred people. Obviously he doesn't care but he should.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I came back to this thread today to post about Crosby's dad so glad to see I wasn't the only one in awe of his jack-assedness. Felt sorry for Mark Howard. Particularly the question where he lobbed up a chance for dad to talk about Sid's off-ice charity work and he gets the complete dust-off. He could take some lessons from his son who, while he can be a crybaby, works hard to promote the game in a professional manner. 30 seconds ruined his dad's reputation for a few hundred people. Obviously he doesn't care but he should.
AMEN!!!!!!!

------

SLake, I read your comments on the other board, and I am in full agreement.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Nitrous Mafia

I like Mark Howard. And Crosby's ole man WAS a superdouche. But I will never ever feel sorry for Mark Howard because of something like that. I will never forget the time when MH, during a phone interview on the radio, asked Legwand if he had his teeth in. If MH had had some more time with him I'm sure he would've been able to pull a jackass moment of his own.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
I like Mark Howard. And Crosby's ole man WAS a superdouche. But I will never ever feel sorry for Mark Howard because of something like that. I will never forget the time when MH, during a phone interview on the radio, asked Legwand if he had his teeth in. If MH had had some more time with him I'm sure he would've been able to pull a jackass moment of his own.
Now that's true, they're both uber-douches

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 03:05 AM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I had been looking forward to this day all year. I had a wonderful day. I love the Pens, they were my first team. Seeing them in person, seeing Sid, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, MAX!, Sykora, Letang and all of them was so freaking awesome.

Legwand!!!! I love when he scores. There's a guy that every game screams about how Legwand is a bum and can't do anything right and should be traded. But when Legwand scored Thursday, at least 6 of us were yelling at him Legwand actually scoring and the jerk wouldn't even look at anyone. Just sat there staring out towards the ice.

I was surprised Ellis got the hook so quick. But I get the whole wake everyone up thinking. And Rinne played great in relief.

Loved the Jones-Santorelli-Dumont line. It was weird seeing Legwand on the wing but it worked.

Congrats to Santorelli for his first NHL game!

I can't believe they scored 5 goals! Maybe this will be the jump start we've all been hoping they get.

You know what's nice. On Wednesday in the Wehatehockeyssean there was a big color photo with the caption in big bold print of the Avs winning the season series v. Preds. Friday, after a Preds win v. Pens, there wasn't a photo or story until a b/w pic on page 4.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Soundgarden

Yeah I hate how they posted a team winning a championship that wasn't even in our state, when we get the fourth page.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote