HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade Gomez for Gaborik in June?

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2009, 02:11 PM
DontStepanMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I'll echo Fletch's sentiments here and say who cares what that team was "picked" to do. Take a look at the roster from that year again and tell me if you really think that was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Where was the youth outside of Lundqvist, Tyutin and Prucha. It was definitely a "rebuilding" year in that the team was significantly modified from the previous season in Jagr's image, but it was no way assembled to simply "stay in games" or to develop core youth.

Again, this all goes back to uncertainty in my opinion. This board is teeming with people who believe that youth is the answer to every problem, that the key to playoff success is to jettison off "aging" and high-priced veterans. My take is that it is not that simple. The chances of this team winning a Cup and/or making more money are greater with Gomez and Drury than they are with "unidentified young superstar that may or may not be available #1" and "unproven prospect #2".
I'm definately not one who says youth is the answer to every problem. I was for resigning Jagr, Nylander and wanted to sign Sundin. Veterans are important to a team and I understand that.

What I am saying is that Gomez, Drury, and Redden ARE THE PROBLEM. Youth just happens to be replacing it. I would trade Gomez for anybody (as long it wasn't another big bad albatross contract), youth or veteran. Just to get him off the team. Same goes w/ Drury and Redden. Their crap contracts, and crap play are the problem w/ this team. they are not the Solution, nor are they going to lead this team anywhere. Furthermore w/ their contracts it will be damn hard to A) keep our youth and B) bring in some high level talent that we desperately lack.

Old
01-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
That team was basically thrown together to be full of hard-working players who were not supposed to be around for a long time. How many players from that team are still here? The reason for that is because Sather and Renney were waiting for their draft picks to grow and develop and to slowly integrate them into the NHL team. However, wiht he play if Jagr and Hank there was no way the rangers couldnt just build from there on out and spend some money, which they did.
That team was "thrown together" to compliment a motivated Jaromir Jagr, who proved that he was still a dominant player. I'll concede that Henrik's emergence went a long way in allowing them to be successful, but I refuse to believe Jagr had any plans to mail it in that year.

Old
01-08-2009, 04:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
This team is hamstrung. It's hamstrung from a cap point of view and personnel. This isn't getting solved overnight.
More than 2/3 of the NHL teams have the same problems. Pittsburgh can't afford a decent winger to play with the Malsby's.

Old
01-08-2009, 05:51 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
More than 2/3 of the NHL teams have the same problems. Pittsburgh can't afford a decent winger to play with the Malsby's.
But they have Crosby, Malkin, and Gonchar eating up their cap space, not Gomez, Drury, and Redden.

Old
01-08-2009, 09:00 PM
trilobyte

My understanding is that the hip operation being performed is the same one that he had already, just the other hip, forget which one was first. Now, this may or may not be true, but there has been talk that the condition was known and that The Wild wanted to entertain offers for him anyway. Make of that what you will.
Apparently, this is not a complicated operation, and the one performed first was successful. So yes, what I say is hearsay, but it was said and I did hear it. I mean, any talk about Gaborik is hearsay anyways.

I would not say with any certaintly that he is or is not healthy. If he recovers from this corrective surgery, who knows? There's always some team willing to gamble, I would bet.

Old
01-08-2009, 09:29 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
But they have Crosby, Malkin, and Gonchar eating up their cap space, not Gomez, Drury, and Redden.
And now Staal.

Old
01-09-2009, 06:52 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Fair enough, but the sad state of affairs is that our young guys aren't as good as other team's young guys, so I'm not sure this approach would work for us. I would argue that this team is already being built around Lundqvist, so he should be taken out of your argument.

Staal is great, I love him, a steadying presence on the blueline that should be here for years. But I really just don't think he is dynamic enough to anchor a defense corps, to be a true #1, I mean. We are all hoping he develops into that, but I really haven't seen the dormant offense many people clamor about, and I'm afraid his ceiling is more of a Kevin Lowe than a Brian Leetch if you want to reference past Rangers success.

Dubinsky is a nice player right now, with the potential to be better, but he sure as hell hasn't shown that he is or will be in Getzlaf or Perry's league. Anisimov has yet to secure a spot on the roster, so we have no idea how he will perform. We'll be lucky if either of those guys develop into scorers as good as Drury or Gomez, which might seem like a hard pill to swallow, but it's the truth. But tell me, just for fun, let's say Sather is somehow able to rid the team of all of our albatross contracts and Drury, Gomez and Redden are all gone come summer. Fill in the blanks:

???-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Prucha-Anisimov-???
Voros-Korpikoski-???
Sjostrom-Betts-Orr

Staal-Rozsival
Girardi-???
???-???

Lundqvist
???

Is that a team that you could honestly see developing into a legitimate SC contender?
You're right. I guess I should have stated that I don't believe that Dubinsky, Anisimov and Staal are Perry, Getzlaf and Niedermeyer/Pronger. And no, I don't see any of our forwards being the centerpiece of a SC team. I do feel like Staal can be that guy on defense, not a Niedermeyer/Lidstrom type but a stellar defenseman none the less.

But let's go with the SC goal as the barometer. Gomez, Drury, Redden and Roszival aren't going to anchor a team to the finals. So we can gut it out with these guys and have moderate success for the next 6 years or we can try to move them for 1) cap space and 2) if we can, missing ingredients. I point to Staal and Dubinsky because they are our best young guys right now. Focus on them as the core and build towards a SC team in 5 years.

Old
01-09-2009, 03:40 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Crosby and Malkin still need someone(s) to put the puck in the net. Sort of like when the Rangers had Wayne Gretzky and he was playing with Tim Sweeney,John MacLean,Kevin Stevens and Niklas Sundstrom.

My point is the cap will force most of the teams in the NHL to make significant adjustments.Besides some of the financially weak sisters of the NHL,nearly all of the NHL teams are a tough spot.They have long term contracts on their books and have to re-sign their young players and/or re-sign their top players who are approaching group III.

The Rangers could eat a contract or two in Hartford.Dolan is paying Marbury $21 million this season to take a vacation.I'm still waiting for the Knicks to release or buy him out.

Old
01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
You're right. I guess I should have stated that I don't believe that Dubinsky, Anisimov and Staal are Perry, Getzlaf and Niedermeyer/Pronger. And no, I don't see any of our forwards being the centerpiece of a SC team. I do feel like Staal can be that guy on defense, not a Niedermeyer/Lidstrom type but a stellar defenseman none the less.

But let's go with the SC goal as the barometer. Gomez, Drury, Redden and Roszival aren't going to anchor a team to the finals. So we can gut it out with these guys and have moderate success for the next 6 years or we can try to move them for 1) cap space and 2) if we can, missing ingredients. I point to Staal and Dubinsky because they are our best young guys right now. Focus on them as the core and build towards a SC team in 5 years.
I've been calling for this for a while, but no one seems willing to suffer through the PROVEN METHOD of success: rebuilding. They'll tell you that Lundqvist won't allow it, or that his performances won't, but I contend that if Lundqvist would rather be a contender in 5 years, even if it means suffering for 2-3, then having to face early postseason exits for years to come.

Closed Thread