HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Penguins extend Staal (4 yrs @ 16M)

Old
01-09-2009, 02:20 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCallex View Post
Wow, what an over-payment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP View Post
This is a GREAT signing by the Penguins, for fair value on a rising star.
I'm confused on how these two comments are in the same thread.

xCallex: What did you want to give him? The lowest possible price for Jordan Staal is 3.5M I would say. He's 20 w/ all the talent in the world. I just don't understand what else you could do? Someone would've given him more if he hit FA.

I think it's a fair signing by my black & gold.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTR View Post
But that 1 time out of 10 it can makes sense to trade someone like Crosby or Malkin. I really like Staal, but honestly can't see a GM trading for him unless he gets a little closer to the level he is paid for statistically. It isn't always fair, but $ in contracts equal production and right now Staal isn't producing 4 million worth.
So you would go with 10% odds over 90%? It makes no sense...

Like I said, Staal is on pace for 20 goals this season and already has a 29 goal season under his belt.

He has so much potential and the fact that he is playing behind Crosby and Malkin further enhances his value on the market... not to mention cost certainty now that he has been locked up for 4 years.

If he is traded there is zero doubt in my mind he will fetch a nice return. Anyone who thinks Shero can't find two or more GMs who need a big, talented center like Staal for their team have other motives for that line of thinking... I'll just leave it at that.

Quote:
It isn't like trading on of Crosby or Malkin is a no brainer. It is a risk, but to say ther eis no package out there that would make the Pens better I think is dissing the many excellent players in the league. All hypotehtical but would a signed

Kovalchuk, several 1sts, and several blue-chip prospects get your attention. I think it should personally. It moves Staal up to 2nd C which he is getting paid for and it fills out a line with a stud winger and stud center.

Or Nash, Brassard, 1st rnders, plus
If even half of those picks or prospects pan out, plus having to pay Nash or Kovy... you are right back in the same boat as you are now in regards to the CBA.

You build around your top two centers and everyone else becomes a movable asset. You know what you have with them... there is no risk. It is simply being logical and not playing fantasy GM without regards to how a move like that if wrong can set your franchise back years...

Crosby and Malkin are worth every cent they make. Staal is a gamble... so Shero's most logical move is to make another GM assume that risk while fetching a nice return.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:29 PM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Do you take into account that the Pens have had several major injuries and a coaching staff that couldn't organize a panty raid, let alone a competent power play?

Of course not. There's only one variable in vcv's world. And trading the league's leading scorer is the only solution. Superb.
disclaimer: this is not a pens bashing response by any means!
Success starts from the top with attitude and works it's way down... look at the capitals for example... despite missing up to 9 starters and playing at times with 3 or 4 AHL callups on just the Defense, yet they have risen to 4th overall in the NHL...

-the coach expects players to do well that are called up and holds them accountable... the result: players feel a part of the team and feel they have more than just a role to hold the fort until the injured get better!

-The GM keeps his words tight and hints very little to the press about moves... the result: less media conversation about what the GM said about this player needing to step up or he'll get moved or that player feeling more pressure... the players have respect for a GM that punched a coach in pre-season several years ago when rough players were dressed to try and injure his team... yes he got suspended for that but that's a players GM right there if you could ever define one!

-the philosophy of the org is to build from within and tweak when the time is right, maybe!... the result: players play for long periods of time with each other, as a unit, a line or as a team... and they have formed stronger bonds... they know that while it's a business that they GM will look after them

-the affiliations all play the same style!... Hershey and South Carolina play the same style of hockey so callups are not learning a new system... this can be huge depending on the player's skill and/or intelligence

I don't follow the Pens but your team should be in the top half of the East standings in my opinion... so that tells me that maybe it's a coaching issue or lack of confidence in the system...

thoughts?

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

The Pens will NEVER trade Malkin or Crosby. If they are strapped they will trade Staal and Whitney for a combined 8M.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
Success starts from the top with attitude and works it's way down... look at the capitals for example... despite missing up to 9 starters and playing at times with 3 or 4 AHL callups on just the Defense, yet they have risen to 4th overall in the NHL...

-the coach expects players to do well that are called up and holds them accountable... the result: players feel a part of the team and feel they have more than just a role to hold the fort until the injured get better!

-The GM keeps his words tight and hints very little to the press about moves... the result: less media conversation about what the GM said about this player needing to step up or he'll get moved or that player feeling more pressure... the players have respect for a GM that punched a coach in pre-season several years ago when rough players were dressed to try and injure his team... yes he got suspended for that but that's a players GM right there if you could ever define one!

-the philosophy of the org is to build from within and tweak when the time is right, maybe!... the result: players play for long periods of time with each other, as a unit, a line or as a team... and they have formed stronger bonds... they know that while it's a business that they GM will look after them

-the affiliations all play the same style!... Hershey and South Carolina play the same style of hockey so callups are not learning a new system... this can be huge depending on the player's skill and/or intelligence

I don't follow the Pens but your team should be in the top half of the East standings in my opinion... so that tells me that maybe it's a coaching issue or lack of confidence in the system...

thoughts?
It's amazing what a team can do with a good coach with a good system. The Caps have obviously bought into Bruce's system and it works because it doesn't revolve around hoping the OV and Semin can score more goals then the other team.

If you have watched the Pens this year (not saying you personally) then you will see about 12 different lines in the first 2 periods, then Sid and Malkin together for the 3rd in desperation mode. Although it was working at the beginning of the year when only Whit and Gonchar was out, that is not how successful teams play.

I agree with you. With this roster the Pens should be in the tops of the East, but a combination of bad coaching, a crappy FA pool, and injuries to key players have all let to the Pens' current slide.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Awesome. Now we will consider a trade for him But seriously, it is good that the kid got a new contract and he can work on revitalizing his career, it has got to be hard coming into the league being under Malkin and Crosby.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post

thoughts?
Yep. It is most definitely a coaching issue.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote