HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Valentenko's BLOG

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2009, 08:32 PM
  #51
FeedDaPuck
Registered User
 
FeedDaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Everywhere
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So....did they cut the 2 guys already and not cutting him 'cause he's injured? Anyway, that blog of is doesn't sound like the guy is coming back soon or have any intent of coming back. He is still talking about possibly coming back in 2 years....

Even if he's cut by his team, don't you think his services will be offerend in the KHL first since he was to be close to his family? I don't see that changing soon...
Quote:
The KHL actually is kind of weird to me. More space, more passing; really not used to it. The level of hockey is good, I just really have to get used to it. Have to admit – I like Canadian style of hockey a lot more.
That to me sounds like he is not too happy. Would you want to offend your employer by saying flat out - I hate it here???? Especially when you are getting paid well? Also, I doubt that there is a team in Russia, currently that can afford his contract, with the economy being the way it is... I would say next season - the latest - he is back.

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:36 PM
  #52
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
That to me sounds like he is not too happy. Would you want to offend your employer by saying flat out - I hate it here???? Especially when you are getting paid well? Also, I doubt that there is a team in Russia, currently that can afford his contract, with the economy being the way it is... I would say next season - the latest - he is back.
What it sounds to me is that he prefers the style of hockey here, but him going back is much more than hockey....Also, having to get use to the style seems that he'll be trying to get use to it.....

Anyway, we'll see. I know I don't expect him at all, at least not before the 2 years he mentions.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:42 PM
  #53
Dark4ng3l
Registered User
 
Dark4ng3l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Bah you guys need to understand that this kid came over here to make himself a pro career and earn a good living. He is from a different culture, in a foreign country where everyone speaks a different language far away from all his friends and family... He made a choice and I understand him. Imagine if the KHL was the highest playing league and you were in his place. Hopefully he changes his mind and comes back eventually.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:23 PM
  #54
FeedDaPuck
Registered User
 
FeedDaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Everywhere
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark4ng3l View Post
Bah you guys need to understand that this kid came over here to make himself a pro career and earn a good living. He is from a different culture, in a foreign country where everyone speaks a different language far away from all his friends and family... He made a choice and I understand him. Imagine if the KHL was the highest playing league and you were in his place. Hopefully he changes his mind and comes back eventually.
+1000. Agreed

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:34 PM
  #55
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Life View Post
It's the habs fault that he left. They could have been considerate and offered him a little bit more money to stick around since he was one of our best prospects.
That would have been a violation of the CBA.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:42 PM
  #56
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
they call up a guy who isn't even close to as ready as I am.
You're close to ready?

Ready to do what?

Order from the drive through at McDonald's?

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:46 PM
  #57
FeedDaPuck
Registered User
 
FeedDaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Everywhere
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
You're close to ready?

Ready to do what?

Order from the drive through at McDonald's?
OWNED!!!!

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:47 PM
  #58
lou4gehrig
Registered User
 
lou4gehrig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
F him. He's gone...
Yeah F him. Why should somebody be allowed to be in their home country and near their family and earn a living?

I wonder if the Russia fans say F Ovechkin, or F Malkin when they decided to come over here?

Even Chistov defected from Russia back in the day, yet is playing back there today.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:13 PM
  #59
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
Let him stay there. Montreal owed him nothing. He was in Hamilton to try to make the big club and it didn't work on the short term. I don't care. And Gainey is surely not losing sleep over this guy.

deandebean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:23 PM
  #60
Nedved
Registered User
 
Nedved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
You're close to ready?

Ready to do what?

Order from the drive through at McDonald's?
can you get me 10 nuggets, and some barbecue sauce.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:21 PM
  #61
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Yeah F him. Why should somebody be allowed to be in their home country and near their family and earn a living?

I wonder if the Russia fans say F Ovechkin, or F Malkin when they decided to come over here?

Even Chistov defected from Russia back in the day, yet is playing back there today.
Next time you post read the entire thread before. I've already defended myself more times then I can count in this thread alone. I didn't mean "I hope he dies". I meant forget about him, move on... I have no problem with Russian who want to play in Russia. On the contrary, I feel for the guy because his family robbed him of his goal to play in the NHL. You know, I'm tried to have to waste my time with this one post. I'm erasing my original post...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:03 AM
  #62
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Next time you post read the entire thread before. I've already defended myself more times then I can count in this thread alone. I didn't mean "I hope he dies". I meant forget about him, move on... I have no problem with Russian who want to play in Russia. On the contrary, I feel for the guy because his family robbed him of his goal to play in the NHL. You know, I'm tried to have to waste my time with this one post. I'm erasing my original post...
Breathe deeply Belso. We'll have to get used to the idea that players are going to exercise options from contract to contract. Perez simply decided that his Russian option was better than his Mtl option at that point in time. Next time, he may decide differently, but in a free market, all parties will do what's best for themselves. Mtl won't walk away from a good player, if they want him.

PV"s a bit different in that he walked out on a contract mid deal, but they are aware that the circumstances are individual. If he is judged desirable and both parties are willing, they wouldn't cut off their collective noses to spite their collective faces.

I did get a brief glimpse of him with Dynamo and coupled with his pre season, he doesn't seem to play a very good positional game, so who knows how much they want him.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:00 AM
  #63
FeedDaPuck
Registered User
 
FeedDaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Everywhere
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Breathe deeply Belso. We'll have to get used to the idea that players are going to exercise options from contract to contract. Perez simply decided that his Russian option was better than his Mtl option at that point in time. Next time, he may decide differently, but in a free market, all parties will do what's best for themselves. Mtl won't walk away from a good player, if they want him.

PV"s a bit different in that he walked out on a contract mid deal, but they are aware that the circumstances are individual. If he is judged desirable and both parties are willing, they wouldn't cut off their collective noses to spite their collective faces.

I did get a brief glimpse of him with Dynamo and coupled with his pre season, he doesn't seem to play a very good positional game, so who knows how much they want him.
I watched him in Hamilton - the kid was the best Dman on the Hamilton's roster. Also - you can't forget that his play does not really fit KHL style best. I know for a fact, that his agent tried to talk him out of moving there; he wrestled with the decision for quite some time. He will be back, and thats just a matter of time. (I also know that MTL will take him)

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:10 AM
  #64
Kman777
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
I really hope he comes back soon, I was looking forward to him being on the team.

Kman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:18 AM
  #65
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,041
vCash: 50
"Why I left. You have heard the reasons already. Don’t have much to add. I was extremely lonely. Honestly, got tired of buses and promises of “getting a call up”. That’s all I had to deal with there – promises, promises, promises and buses, buses, buses.

I did not cut Canadiens off completely. My contract here allows me to leave after two years. Then I might entertain the idea of going back. If someone will want me J."


Honestly this quote in his blog tells me that we can close the book on his career in Montreal. If Grabo was dealt essentially for skipping out on a flight (exaggeration, but you know what I mean) then you have to think that an obviously high maintenance player like Valentenko who skipped out on his contract won't be welcome back.
Good for him, no hard feelings, but as George Walker Bush once so eloquently mused:
There's an old saying in Tennessee. I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee, that says: "Fool me once...”
[pause]
"... shame on...”.
[pause]
"Shame on you...”
[pause]
"If fooled, you can't get fooled again."

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:39 AM
  #66
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
I watched him in Hamilton - the kid was the best Dman on the Hamilton's roster. Also - you can't forget that his play does not really fit KHL style best. I know for a fact, that his agent tried to talk him out of moving there; he wrestled with the decision for quite some time. He will be back, and thats just a matter of time. (I also know that MTL will take him)
I won't try and sell myself as a Valentenko expert, we have enough guys willing to argue about players they haven't seen. I may have seen him once or twice last year, and I followed Qui Gon Dave's Hamilton reports wherein he indicated that he improved as the year went on. I was very surprised at what I saw in camp this year, he seemed to rush around, chase the puck, have poor intincts, in other words, all the things you don't want a d man to do.

I admit that I'm basing this off of 2 games, so maybe he came into camp looking to do too much. I hope you're right, teams need guys on the lower pairings with a mean streak and I've always liked the reports I've read about him.

Bob Gainey understands that kids will be kids. He had more than his share of experience dealing with young players who were prone to questionable decsions, when he was captain. He'd be silly to close the door on someone who could make the team better.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:40 AM
  #67
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,938
vCash: 500
At least he's honest, seems like a decent kid.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 01:07 PM
  #68
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,548
vCash: 50
Damn, I wish I was ripped like that.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 03:54 PM
  #69
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
"Why I left. You have heard the reasons already. Don’t have much to add. I was extremely lonely. Honestly, got tired of buses and promises of “getting a call up”. That’s all I had to deal with there – promises, promises, promises and buses, buses, buses.

I did not cut Canadiens off completely. My contract here allows me to leave after two years. Then I might entertain the idea of going back. If someone will want me J."


Honestly this quote in his blog tells me that we can close the book on his career in Montreal. If Grabo was dealt essentially for skipping out on a flight (exaggeration, but you know what I mean) then you have to think that an obviously high maintenance player like Valentenko who skipped out on his contract won't be welcome back.
Good for him, no hard feelings, but as George Walker Bush once so eloquently mused:
There's an old saying in Tennessee. I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee, that says: "Fool me once...”
[pause]
"... shame on...”.
[pause]
"Shame on you...”
[pause]
"If fooled, you can't get fooled again."
The kid was awful during training camp and it seems it was also the case with Hamilton this year, why did he thought he might get called up that soon?

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:58 AM
  #70
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,150
vCash: 500
Sorry nothing new to be seen. The link provided was from January 9th and is already posted in this thread.

__________________
To me, Desharnais is like pop/radio music. No matter how hard I try, I just can't like him. - PyrettaBlaze
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 06:32 PM
  #71
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Well I can check into that, if true great.
We are January 15th... Where is Pavel ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:26 PM
  #72
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
I watched him in Hamilton - the kid was the best Dman on the Hamilton's roster. Also - you can't forget that his play does not really fit KHL style best. I know for a fact, that his agent tried to talk him out of moving there; he wrestled with the decision for quite some time. He will be back, and thats just a matter of time. (I also know that MTL will take him)
I would agree that he was, for the most part, Hamilton's best defenseman in games I watched.

That being said, I can't say I was overly impressed with him. He was more adequate that admirable. It just seemed that you weren't seeing a lot of areas of his game that got you excited about his potential. He sort of seemed to already be as good as he was gonna be. There was no growth in his game, no changes to his style as his confidence grew. He didn't assert himself more or open up his game at all. He was sort of a frustrating prospect in that way.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:46 PM
  #73
Strong and Free
Registered User
 
Strong and Free's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oshawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
I know more about his game from the hype on HF but reading his two posts makes him sound like a pretty stand up guy. I have a good vibe about him and think this will all be left in the past when he cracks the big club in a few years. Gainey knows character and I think this kid has it.

Strong and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:18 AM
  #74
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
That being said, I can't say I was overly impressed with him. He was more adequate that admirable. It just seemed that you weren't seeing a lot of areas of his game that got you excited about his potential.
How excited do you or anyone else usually get about defensive Dmen drafted in the later rounds?

He did his job, he took the body, blocked shots and improved his positional play through the year up until a slight dip late in the year when the team gave up after getting eliminated from post-season contention.

For a late rounds, defensive Dman, playing his first year in N. America while being one of, if not the youngest player on the team, I think he showed more than enough to suggest he could be useful in later years. How excited people choose to get over that is up to them, but he showed enough ability to be worth closer observation in following seasons, which is all that could be realistically asked of him, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
He sort of seemed to already be as good as he was gonna be. There was no growth in his game, no changes to his style as his confidence grew. He didn't assert himself more or open up his game at all. He was sort of a frustrating prospect in that way.
He seemed to be as good as he was going to be? Based on his first season in a new league playing a different style to the one he grew up with? That's quite a statement. I don't see any benefit to limiting expectations about a young players development on their 1st year in the pro's. If we did that, Andrei Kostitsyn would be a sure fire bust and Mathieu Carle would be an injury prone hazard in his own zone with the occasional standout play. Nothing is gained from giving a kid one year and saying 'that's as good as they will get'.

As far as the growth in his game, I don't know how many games you saw or from which points in the season those games were, but I'd disagree that he didn't change. The biggest change came after the first 4-6 weeks. Prior to that point, he ran around on most shifts, getting out of position, made a number of bad plays but had the occasional great play. After that point, he learned to pick his moments for physical play much better, drastically improved his positioning and became the best Dman on the team as a result. I think his confidence was reflected in him being a more consistent player and regularly making smart decisions instead of rushing around making mistakes. As the season wore on, he showed he could harness the danger of his shot much better: firstly by being willing to shoot, then using a quicker release, hitting the net more than he had and even faking a few shots to set up scoring chances/goals with nice passes.

Despite the slight dip in his play at the end of the year, I thought he showed more than enough development through the year for him to be an interesting option for the Habs franchise going forward. Maybe not one to get really excited about, but a player who could develop into a useful guy that could make the NHL at some point. To say he got as good as he could be is, I think, a disservice to him. But that's just my take on it...

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:27 AM
  #75
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
For anyon ethat believes that a propsect who bolts for Russia,Moose Jaw or anyone lese shouldn't be welcmed back, read Red Fisher's article about Sam Pollock in today's Gazette. The article was pretty well stuff I've read too many times before but there was one passage that I thought applied here.

Fisher was speaking to Pollock and Pollock informed him that he had just signed Rejean Houle. He said 'the same Houle you were ranting about when he bolted to the WHA ?'

'Red, he can help our team'.

I don't know if the kid will make it or not, but if they think he can help, and they can bring him back, they will.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.