HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What the hell is wrong with gomez?

Old
01-08-2009, 12:22 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I agree about Zherdev and Dubi. But as we know, this team is still a bit thin up front.

As for breaking up the Drury line - I'm actually fine with that, depending on who Drury's replacement is. I think Prucha looks good with those two (and vice versa), but I also think that he looks, and has looked good with Dubi and long term that's a better fit (I just don't like the smurf line's size). Of course the issue is balancing the lines. Do you create a real first line, which would be Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev? That would then create a line of Dawes-Drury-Callahan, which hadn't done great in the past, and is still smurfish, but I think both Dawes and Drury are playing better and Cally can play bigger than Prucha. That would leave Prucha-Dubi-Korps, which for all my criticisms of Korps, I actually like because all three like to cycle, and while you hope for the goals here and there, I think they would give quality shifts each and every shift. I kind of like those lines because centermen are playing center, right wings are playing right wing and left wings are playing left wing.

The fourth line would remain status quo.

That leaves Voros out, but aside from his first 8-10 games, I don't know what he's really done. It's a shame because he's exactly what they need. Perhaps he was just in good shape and other teams weren't ready for that line which clicked early. In November they caught on and they haven't been so good since. Kudos to Renney, however, for matching that early on as it no likely led to this team's quick start that has kept them comfortable in this race.

I do believe there are optimal lines out there to increase offense while not sacraficing defense. Unfortunately right now Renney's really going with the flow and not too willing to stick with a lot, although he seems to be trying out the Naslund-Gomez-Cally line and has kept pairs (Dawes-Drury and Dubi-Zherdev). A couple more tries and he'll get it.
To me it comes down to chemistry. Dawes-Prucha-Drury have been, to me, the best line over the last two games. Gomez and Callahan seem to have chemistry. It's the Dubi-Zherdev combo that seems stale (for lack of a better word). I think Dubi might benefit from the presence of a veteran on his line. I have no problem swapping out Voros. So maybe try:

Zherdev-Gomez-Callahan
Dawes-Drury-Prucha
Korpikoski-Dubinsky-Naslund
Sjostrom-Betts-Orr

01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Fletch

Dubi Zherdev is definitely stale. I hear you about chemistry, and can't argue that logic. The main point is moving Zherdev off Dubi. Everything else I'm fine with. I'm not too concerned if Prucha went back to play with Dubi because I feel as though those two have played well together (including last season). But again, Gomez needs a jumpstart, as does Zherdev, and getting those two going is what's most important for the Rangers' offense.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I didn't see any success with Zherdev and Gomez at all. Dubinsky having success with him at one point is better than none at all.

I like Naslund and Zherdev together. I don't like Gomez in the middle of that line though, I think he gets in the way more than anything else.
Agree with both statements. Thus, how about putting Drury between Z and Naslund? I remember that being a line for 1 game and working pretty well together. Gomez and Z seem to need the same thing, the puck on their stick most of the time, to be effective. Also, Drury despite his struggles this year, is still miles ahead of Gomez defensively. I think that's an important consideration for centering Zherdev.

I'd leave the 4th line alone, and drop Gomez between Dawes and Prucha. That would leave Dubi between Cally and Korps, a hard forechecking unit if they can mesh. Something needs to snap him out of his long slump. He seems to be overthinking things, may be with these two he'll feed off their energy and just play. Btw, if one wants to continue playing Cally with Gomez, just flip him and Prucha. I think they would bring similar things to Dubi's line. Finally, unless it's a total disaster immediately, I'd love to see a 3 to 5 game stretch with the same lines.

Naslund-Drury-Zherdev
Dawes-Gomez-Prucha/Cally
Korps-Dubi-Prucha/Cally
Sjostrom/Voros-Betts-Orr

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:41 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I would be hesitant to see the current Dawes-Dru-Pru line break up, but the team is greater than one line. I might like to see a lineup of:

Prucha-Gomez-Zherdev
Dawes-Drury-Cally
Naslund-Dubi-Korpedo
The Ol' Reliable 4th

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:22 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I don't ever want to see Gomez and Zherdev on the same line. It's just redundant. I also don't see how the Z/Dubi pairing is "stale." Who hasn't Dubi looked stale with? Fact is, if you want to get Dubinsky going, there isn't anyone else for him to play with but Zherdev.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I would be hesitant to see the current Dawes-Dru-Pru line break up, but the team is greater than one line. I might like to see a lineup of:

Prucha-Gomez-Zherdev...
There is no way Renney will trust these 3 together defensively. Nor should he really, they're almost a lock to be outscored at even strength.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:57 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
There is no way Renney will trust these 3 together defensively. Nor should he really, they're almost a lock to be outscored at even strength.
What I like about the line, though, is that both Pru and Z can create turnovers in the offensive zone, and all three are capable of transporting the puck out of our zone and getting it deep. As long as Renney is careful with matchups, I don't think it would be much of an issue.

Old
01-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Fletch

is Dubinsky that much better defensively than Gomez? The Prucha-Dubi-Zherdev line was not a liability on the ice.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
is Dubinsky that much better defensively than Gomez? The Prucha-Dubi-Zherdev line was not a liability on the ice.
Dubinsky is better defensively... at grinding down players... checking them, that kind of defense. Gomez might be better at stripping a puck in the neutral zone, or breaking up a pass.

I agree with Sting that Zherdov with Gomez is redundant. They're your two most creative players put on one line. Both guys like to have the puck. If they can get chemistry, and a give and go style, then it would work

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
Dubinsky is better defensively... at grinding down players... checking them, that kind of defense. Gomez might be better at stripping a puck in the neutral zone, or breaking up a pass.

I agree with Sting that Zherdov with Gomez is redundant. They're your two most creative players put on one line. Both guys like to have the puck. If they can get chemistry, and a give and go style, then it would work
Well then there's no way it will. I haven't seen a simple give and go from the Rangers in who knows how long. Just seems like no matter who's on the team, the concept of such a simple play is too much for the Rangers' roster. Meanwhile those kinds of plays routinely burn us when performed by lesser teams.

Sorry, just a little venting over a long held gripe...

Old
01-09-2009, 12:29 PM
NYROrtsFan

Always go with chemistry....

Dawes Drury Prucha have been good. Keep them.

Go back to Naslund Gomez Zherdev. Those guys created offense when they were together. Not too good on the defensive end, but we can live with that out of one line.

Naslund Gomez Zherdev
Dawes Drury Prucha
Korpedo Dubinsky Callahan
Sjostrom Betts Orr

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:22 PM
ecemleafs

gomez needs to be with a sniper. zherdev and gomez is not a good combination as both players like having the puck and look to make plays over looking to score the goals.

Naslund Gomez Prucha
Dawes Drury Zherdev
Korpikoski Duby Callahan
Sjostrom Betts Orr

the 3rd line when on will be able to score and when they are not clicking offensively they are still sound defensively and have lots of physicality and energy.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:06 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Hmmm, thinking it over, what would people think of this line:

Prucha-Gomez-Cally

Keeps Pru on his off-wing, and maintains the Gomer-Cally connection we've been seeing. They can all retrieve a dump in of skate the puck, and Pru and Cally both go to the tough parts of the ice.

Old
01-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Ke11y96

"One observation: I was in the locker room. I don't think many guys were "PO'd". No one was laughing, but no one was kicking chairs. I did see Glen Sather briefly speaking alone with Scott Gomez as if he were instructing him about something, motioning as if he had a stick in his hand."

-this is from steve zipays blog, but I think it's pretty interesting all of these rumors about wanting to move gomez and rarely is glen sather around let alone do we hear him talking to players. So just something to think about even more...

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote