HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

who uses wood sticks still?

Old
01-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Koval17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGirardi5 View Post
Spezza and Statsny also still use woodies. I believe Naslund still used one up until this year too.
spezza went to composite this year i think.....

Koval17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:07 PM
PIMking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koval17 View Post
spezza went to composite this year i think.....
traitor.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Brisebois, ironic given the name. Which means "Wood Breaker"

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:28 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
traitor.
Actually, as mentioned earlier in the thread, he's using a composite shaft with a wood blade.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:46 PM
DevsFan84

Not for anything, but there are good deals to be had on composites if you are willing to look around. I think hockeygiant has 4 different ones for 50 bucks right now.

And, if your pro team has an end of season equipment sale like the devils do...you can do even better. I have 3 Parise s17's I got for 50 bucks a piece...one looks brand new, the other 2 just a little scraped up. I'll admit, I bought them because I was going to ebay them...but I've been using them occasionally. Though, for the amount of time I spend playing foward...my grandchildren will probably inherit 2 of them.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:12 AM
iceman17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
Not for anything, but there are good deals to be had on composites if you are willing to look around. I think hockeygiant has 4 different ones for 50 bucks right now.

And, if your pro team has an end of season equipment sale like the devils do...you can do even better. I have 3 Parise s17's I got for 50 bucks a piece...one looks brand new, the other 2 just a little scraped up. I'll admit, I bought them because I was going to ebay them...but I've been using them occasionally. Though, for the amount of time I spend playing foward...my grandchildren will probably inherit 2 of them.
Thats a great deal. The Islanders sell sticks at the game starting at $100. And none of their players are even close to Parises caliber.

iceman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:36 AM
87vert

How do you guys find out about the pro sales?

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:46 AM
tgarrett29

I've stuck with the wood sticks ... the Bauer 3030 primarily as I bought a few of these quite a while ago and they still serve the purpose for me. I don't what it is about the composite sticks ... they all feel too light and whippy for me. This is the same issue I have with composite golf clubs too - I just like the weighted feeling of wooden sticks. I guess based on this line of thinking that technology is bad, I should get rid of all my DVDs and go back to VHS (I'm past the BetaMax phase at least!)

tgarrett29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:30 AM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
How do you guys find out about the pro sales?
The Devils had their equipment sale at their past draft day party, I don't think they have any other sales during the year.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:02 PM
87vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
The Devils had their equipment sale at their past draft day party, I don't think they have any other sales during the year.
They have partys? haha I've never heard about anything like that around here. Maybe I need some connections

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:28 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I have been using a RBK crosby $20 woodie and its lasted me over 30 games and I do my fair share of lumberjacking.
This is a quality light wooden stick (RBK 1K). I use it when playing D. Same pattern ( I wish RBK copied SWD Crosby curve, but the difference is in loft only).

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:29 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgarrett29 View Post
I've stuck with the wood sticks ... the Bauer 3030 primarily as I bought a few of these quite a while ago and they still serve the purpose for me. I don't what it is about the composite sticks ... they all feel too light and whippy for me. This is the same issue I have with composite golf clubs too - I just like the weighted feeling of wooden sticks. I guess based on this line of thinking that technology is bad, I should get rid of all my DVDs and go back to VHS (I'm past the BetaMax phase at least!)
I'm the same way. The driver and woods of my golf clubs all had composite shafts. I just used them without thinking, assuming the composite gave me an advantage. But for fun, one day I threw an old steel-shafted 3-wood in my bag, and I could hit farther with that old Spalding 3-wood than my fancy 9 Taylormade driver.

In the next few weeks I took my driver in to be re-shafted with a steel shaft, to the amazement of the guys at the store. They warned me it'd throw off the weight of my club, but switching to steel gave me more control *and* distance.

The funny part? They had two dozen kinds of composite shafts, anywhere from 5 - 10 of each kind... but only one steel driver shaft.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 09:18 AM
lucky haskins

I use both. I have a one piece Montreal, but nothing beats a good Sherwood 7000 Coffey pattern.

lucky haskins is offline   Reply With Quote