HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

So I play hockey backwards

Old
01-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Headcoach is the man.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:25 PM
3hirty6ix

vCash: 500
Out of curiosity, do you people hold your stick the same way as you would hold/use a broom or a shovel?

3hirty6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Section311

I play baseball, golf, football and write righty but I play hockey and lacrosse lefty.

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hirty6ix View Post
Out of curiosity, do you people hold your stick the same way as you would hold/use a broom or a shovel?
I do.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 10:53 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Come to think of it, yes.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:36 PM
wcb231*

Quote:
What do you mean "you people"...

But hmm...yes, yes I do

I didn't mean to make this a "Am I doing it wrong" because it's a matter of comfort and it is what it is. Basically what it comes down to is my upper body is good on both sides but my lower body is so strong on the left side which pretty much contradicts what a left handed hockey player needs, which is good balance on their right side

wcb231* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Yes I do. I do everything righty.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:52 AM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Usually people hold a broom with an opposite grip (like a canoe paddle basically). So no.

Shovel, yes.

kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
No that's somebody else's job

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:02 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I do. I also hold it like I hold my rake.

Thread derailment in 3...2...1...

http://marketplace.diynetwork.com/Pr...id=3151-711093

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Many players, myself included, want their strongest hand to be the top hand. Any time you take your bottom hand off the stick to extend your reach, either for a poke check or just to corral the puck, it's beneficial to have that extra strength.
yep. poke-checking with my stronger hand on top makes a world of difference for me. my bro shoots righty and i grabbed his stick just to fool around with a 'smartball' and it felt inefficient. my swooping poke check is key with my dominant hand on top.

when i was really young, my parents bought me a righty stick because i'm a righty. i had a backwards stick until a coach spotted it and told me to get a lefty. lol.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:30 AM
hckyfan0099

I am somewhat like that myself. I write left handed but in sports I am predominantly right handed. I play the guitar lefty but shoot righty. I cant explain it.

hckyfan0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:29 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Boy you have just opened a whole can of worms with this post.

This is not the first time this question has been asked. In fact, I did a whole write up about this on the forum and It was pretty heated for a while.

So, here what 35 years of hockey experience is going to tell you. First, lets look at these three things... stick, stickhandling and shooting.

The stick, which I perfer, I like using wood use wood. Plus it's a little cheaper when they break. I want to have the maximum amount of flex I can get. The more the flex...the better! Why? Make the stick work for you, not the other way around.

Next, lets look at the way you write. The top of the stick is the protion of the stick that controls the artistic side of stick handling. When you stick handle, the hand that is down the shaft, kind of holds the stick shaft, allowing the shaft to move up and down freely. This bottom hand holds the stick while you stick handle or deke the opponent.

So this means that if you write with your right hand, that is the artistic side. This means that you place your hand at the top of the stick. So this means that you shoot left.

The bottom hand is use for the power side of the shot during a slap shot.

Now let look at shooting.

Do you know what a fulcrum is? Here's an example: It's the point of balance in a "teeter-totter.

Now, the bottom hand acts like a teeter-totter. If you place a box on the ice and you place you stick blade underneath the box, the folcrum will be at your wrist if you try and pick it up with one hand. Chances are really good that your wrist will strain or break if you try to pick up the box.

But, if you place a fulcrum, say the tip of your skate, then what you have done is add a fulcrum to the stick. Then you can press down on the stick with your finger and the box will come off the ice with ease.

Now, shooting is kind of the same way. The bottom hand is used as a fulcrum durning the shot. Make sure that as you follow through with the shot, that the top hand moves away from your body. Once both are at maximum distance, take the top hand, leave the bottom hand still. Take the top hand and move the stick towards your body. This will provide you maximum leverage for the shot.

Now for slat shots, the bottom hand is for power in the shot! This is the hand that help drive the shaft down to help it bend during the slap shot. This is where the flex of your stick comes in. The more flex you have the better. It's like a compound bow, but without the pulley system.

And because you are shooting left and you are moving that shot across your body, you need to balance your weight on your right leg and follow through with the shot. It's ok to pick up that left leg to help counter balance the shooting motion. However, the more you try and keep that leg down, the more stability you will have in your balance, the better the shot will be.

Head coach
I didn't read all your post but skimming it, you're right. The dominate hand on top is great for wrist and snap shot power and accuracy(most common shot in hockey). The dominate hand on the bottom is great for powerful and accurate slap shots. Typically baseball in the US effects dominate hand placement, while Canadian players are taught "properly."

BUT, it's all personal preference. I switch-hit in baseball and can throw a football left handed or right handed but I am right hand dominate. I shoot right handed because it's comfortable for me. Puckhandling LH... hands of stone. RH and my hands are as soft as a goal against Trevor Kidd.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:02 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
I didn't read all your post but skimming it, you're right. The dominate hand on top is great for wrist and snap shot power and accuracy(most common shot in hockey). The dominate hand on the bottom is great for powerful and accurate slap shots. Typically baseball in the US effects dominate hand placement, while Canadian players are taught "properly."

BUT, it's all personal preference. I switch-hit in baseball and can throw a football left handed or right handed but I am right hand dominate. I shoot right handed because it's comfortable for me. Puckhandling LH... hands of stone. RH and my hands are as soft as a goal against Trevor Kidd.
I think what you said is true mostly. The funny thing about being right handed but shooting lefty is you can have a plenty good slapper, since you'll notice a lot of the power from the slapshot comes from the upper body and shoulder torque of the right side, e.g. the more powerful side for a right-handed person. You can also have a plenty weak wrister. It depends on a really high number of factors, then factor in how much you work out and are willing to practice

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 08:06 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
...and overall how coordinated you can teach your top hand, regardless whether it's your dominate hand or not. Some are just going to be more/less coordinated than others.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Danglous

I write and throw left handed, but always played baseball/hockey righty. For some reason (maybe playing those sports with my right hand growing up) my right arm is stronger than my left, so I have good hands and a wicked shot

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 05:41 PM
kingfisher

i write with my right hand, shoot right.

does that tell me i'm always gonna have these hands of stone?

at least there's always a spot in hockey for us grinders

kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Reckless Abandon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I believe the bolded pieces are the parts of your post that may have created a lot of contention. You're partially correct with both comments, however most people have the same 'artistic hand' as they have a 'power hand'. And while a considerable amount of manual dexterity is needed in your top hand in order to stickhandle, poke check, battle for loose pucks, etc, a large amount of coordination is required in your bottom hand in order to receive passes, and shoot and pass with power and accuracy.

I don't think there's any 'right way', really. It's all about what's comfortable.
Yes there is. Righties exist.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
I had this discussion with a few players who play or played pro.

I started playing right shot but when I was getting it together for my son to play goal I read in a book that right handed folks shoot left and left handed folks shoot right. (Vice versa for goalies)

Anyway I had to take some time off to heal a pulled groin and when I came back I brought a left shot stick. I could never figure out why my shot was so week right handed. since switching to a left shot I feel like I have started to improve my skills. I some times switch hands and shot and everyone starts yelling "Gordie Howe" My shot sucks in either hand but I think shooting feels better left, stick handling feels better right. I'm developing my left.

Anyway when I came back a few guys asked why I switched my shot and I gave them my story about reading ,, etc, etc. One of the guys was Mike Knight from the Johnstown Chiefs who agreed that "most rights shoot left" but he shoots right and he is right handed. Then a few others all weighed in agreeing that most right handed players shoot left but allot of them shoot right too.

I think that if you have a shot with either hand you should just play it. most people get there shot by using what ever stick is in the basement (dads, big bros old stick)

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:59 PM
SiouxPride

It's about comfort imo.

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 12:14 AM
LarryO

I do everything right-handed. But for sweeping and shoveling, I'm a switch hitter. I play guitar right-handed like most, so my fretting hand is my left hand, requiring more strength. I think it has mostly to do with whatever side you randomly started with when you were young and kept practising with.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 01:01 PM
kingfisher

when i was little my dad gave me a flat stick,

i dunno if it was the jeremy roenick influence or not, but for some reason shooting right stuck with me, even though im right handed

kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 01:19 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MECHLER View Post
when i was little my dad gave me a flat stick...
yeah I started right with a flat stick playing right when I was little then switched it up and after a while I stuck with playing left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josra33 View Post
From what I understand most Canadians are trained in that way. Where if they are right handed in everything else they learn to play hockey left handed. I could be wrong but thats what I had heard.
I've heard that alot too and I've had a lot of people ask if I'm canadian after they find out I'm right handed and see me play hky left. I'm not sure of the numbers but I assume that 70-80% of the lefty hockey players are right handed. Something interesting: I haven't met too many left handed people who play righthanded (although there are some.)

After more intense hockey training and working out in high school and college I can now bat right or left for baseball too!

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 01:56 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Abandon View Post
Yes there is. Righties exist.
Touche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajic View Post