HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who would you take before Komisarek back at the 2001 draft?

Old
01-11-2009, 02:11 AM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Who would you take before Komisarek back at the 2001 draft?

Which players would you take before Komi in that list?

Here are some names:

Kovalchuk
Spezza
M.Koivu
T.Ruutu
Hamhuis
Hemsky
D.Roy
F.Tyutin
M.Cammalleri
J.Pomminville
Plekanec
P.Sharp
Ehrhoff
Wellwood
K.Bieksa
M.Zidlicky
J.Jokinen
Huet
Svatos

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 01-11-2009 at 02:24 AM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:16 AM
Clumsyhab

Kovalchuk

Maybe Spezza and Mikko.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:19 AM
Kriss E

Is it really a question?..

Kovalchuk hands down.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:27 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Kovalchuk

Maybe Spezza and Mikko.
Personally I think its very close between Mikko and Komo..

Spezza is a joke, I would take about anyone in that list before him..

Old
01-11-2009, 02:32 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
plekanec. oh wait..
Dont considere what teams they are playing for, just select the ones you think that bring more to the table for a team.. Plekanec was a steal in the third round, could have been a first pick easily in that draft..

Old
01-11-2009, 02:47 AM
Brownies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post

The guy who have scored over 90 points and who's not in his prime yet ? You may not like him, but him and Kovalchuk are the clear #1 and #2 in this draft. I like Komisarek, but he's not in their league.

Brownies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:50 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

To be honest only kovalchuk and the younger koivu and speaking of mikko koivu, this week ive heard (somewhere) at the 2001 draft timmins (who was with ottawa at the time) at mikko koivu ranked as the 2nd best prospects in the draft after kovalchuk but was out ruled by marshall johnson at the draft table because speeza was an ontario kid!!!

7 years later i would take mikko koivu on my team before speeza any days of the week and twice on sunday lol

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:09 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownies View Post
The guy who have scored over 90 points and who's not in his prime yet ? You may not like him, but him and Kovalchuk are the clear #1 and #2 in this draft. I like Komisarek, but he's not in their league.
Playing with guys like Heatley, Alfredsson, spending about all the PP long on the ice..

Spezza has elite hands but plays soft as hell and is a high risk player, a turnover machine.. I wouldnt want this guy on my team for free.. Komi is way more important for a team than Spezza will ever be.. Its one thing to reach points, but when you cheat offensively, you will be scored against too.. Spezza has nothing different of Yashin, both are soft, both are cold most of the time, they desapear when the game becomes more physical.. Spezza isnt a competitor and thats the reason why Sens fans cant stand him anymore and that no GM in this league with a head would take a chance to waste 7-8 millions per year.. If you go for the show, I could understand but if you go by reliability and overall package, its not even close, Komi is the king!

Old
01-11-2009, 03:12 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
To be honest only kovalchuk and the younger koivu and speaking of mikko koivu, this week ive heard (somewhere) at the 2001 draft timmins (who was with ottawa at the time) at mikko koivu ranked as the 2nd best prospects in the draft after kovalchuk but was out ruled by marshall johnson at the draft table because speeza was an ontario kid!!!

7 years later i would take mikko koivu on my team before speeza any days of the week and twice on sunday lol
the obvious choice, Mikko has basically nothing around him and still put alot of pts on the board playing a pretty solid overall game at the same time..

Old
01-11-2009, 03:17 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
the obvious choice, Mikko has basically nothing around him and still put alot of pts on the board playing a pretty solid overall game at the same time..

yep but looking back at the 01draft i was really high on tummo ruutu (more than koivu) but injury really hurt ruutu over the years

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:06 AM
GNick42

The Spezza contract will end up being a albatross around the Sens neck. He's a cap killer, too good to release but too expensive too trade. Similar to the Yashin contract, ironic they were once traded for each other

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:38 AM
ReVeuF

The Habs are 18-3 when Komi is healthy... he is far more important for a team, only Kovalchuk might help more.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:07 AM
SooperSingh

considering what was left after the 7th pick, i'd take komi over any one of those guys. Wow, that makes you realize how weak of a draft '01 was.

SooperSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Even if Komisarek is a better player NOW, I'd still take Spezza with the pick and trade him as he has twice the trade value.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:23 AM
John Belushi

vCash: 50
Quote:

Here are some names:

Kovalchuk
Spezza
M.Koivu
T.Ruutu
Hamhuis
Hemsky
D.Roy
F.Tyutin
M.Cammalleri
J.Pomminville
Plekanec
P.Sharp
Ehrhoff
Wellwood
K.Bieksa
M.Zidlicky
J.Jokinen
Huet
Svatos
The ones bolded are the players I'd snag before Komisarek... still a great player though and someone I would certainly take on the Canucks.

John Belushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 08:17 AM
znk

Quote:

Thank god you aint no GM.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 08:26 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Is it really a question?..

Kovalchuk hands down.
Ya but in that list I think he is about the only one I would take.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:

Here are some names:

Kovalchuk
Spezza
M.Koivu
T.Ruutu
Hamhuis
Hemsky
D.Roy
F.Tyutin
M.Cammalleri
J.Pomminville
Plekanec
P.Sharp
Ehrhoff
Wellwood
K.Bieksa
M.Zidlicky
J.Jokinen
Huet
Svatos
Kovalchuck, Spezza, M. Koivu....MAYBE Hemsky and Cammerelli, but the first 3 for sure

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:10 AM
kostitsyn1489

Kevin Bieksa maybe. Both are great D, but Bieksa brings more then Komisarek in alot of area, but Komisarek is great for the team too, more reliable defenively then Bieksa. Either one I'd be happy with.

Beside that, on draft day my guy was Mikko Koivu, but was picked just before our pick which pissed me off at the time. Not sure if it was U18 or U20 but he really impressed me during his draft year.

Beside that, I've always been a big Hemsky fan, not sure if he brings more then Komi, but maybe i would take him over Komi cause he's one of my favorite player. Derek Roy great player too.

And obviously Kovlachuk and Spezza, who is to me the most underated player in the league. Everybody says he sucks, turns the puck over like crazy and all, but it's blown out of proportion quite a bit to me. The guy has got some sick skills.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:36 AM
le_sean

Bieksa? Come on. Vancouver was just about the same when he went down whereas this team really suffers when Komisarek is hurt.

People need to watch Spezza live to see just how bad he really is. Yes he's great in the offensive zone, but that's it. Just terrible decisions elsewhere.

Komisarek's worth cannot be measured statistically other than in block shots and hits. He's much more to us than that though.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:44 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Savard thought Kovalchuk was the real deal and made a bid to Atlanta to get the pick.

I'm still happy that we got Komisarek though.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:46 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Bieksa? Come on. Vancouver was just about the same when he went down whereas this team really suffers when Komisarek is hurt.

People need to watch Spezza live to see just how bad he really is. Yes he's great in the offensive zone, but that's it. Just terrible decisions elsewhere.

Komisarek's worth cannot be measured statistically other than in block shots and hits. He's much more to us than that though.
We are scoring like 6 goals per game lately without Koivu Higgins and Tanguay, so they are useless? That's pretty much what i understand from your first statement.

Spezza isnt the only forward in the league that is average in the D zone. It's not like Komi is any kind of hot in the offensive zone either... I think Spezza can be better in defensive zone, he's just not consistent and when your team sucks and wont make the playoff it shows more.

And it's no knock on Komi, he's a great player for us no doubt about that. Sometimes we tend to "overate" what our players bring. Bieksa is a leader too, he fights as well, he's gritty too. I'm pretty sure he's a really good guy in the locker room like Komisarek, but hey who cares he's in Vancouver.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:49 AM
x-bob

Quote:

Here are some names:

Kovalchuk
Spezza
M.Koivu
T.Ruutu
Hamhuis
Hemsky
D.Roy
F.Tyutin
M.Cammalleri
J.Pomminville
Plekanec
P.Sharp
Ehrhoff
Wellwood
K.Bieksa
M.Zidlicky
J.Jokinen
Huet
Svatos
I'm not the biggest fan of Mike Komisarek but I still appreciate what he brings to the team. I think that I would take Spezza, Kovalchuk, Roy (One of th eleagues most underrated players) and Koivu.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:52 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
We are scoring like 6 goals per game lately without Koivu Higgins and Tanguay, so they are useless? That's pretty much what i understand from your first statement.

Spezza isnt the only forward in the league that is average in the D zone. It's not like Komi is any kind of hot in the offensive zone either... I think Spezza can be better in defensive zone, he's just not consistent and when your team sucks and wont make the playoff it shows more.

And it's no knock on Komi, he's a great player for us no doubt about that. Sometimes we tend to "overate" what our players bring. Bieksa is a leader too, he fights as well, he's gritty too. I'm pretty sure he's a really good guy in the locker room like Komisarek, but hey who cares he's in Vancouver.
Those three being out has nothing to do with what I said. The only new player contributing with Koivu, Tanguay and Higgins out is Pacioretty and that is expected with his first few games. Are you going to deny Komisarek is a huge part of this team? You think it's just a coincedence that when Markov is out too this team suffers? There is a different dimension to this team with Komi in. He was hurt last playoffs and you could tell the Habs were being dominated physically.

Spezza is not average in the defensive zone, he's bad. To be an elite player in the league you need to at least pick up your game in all zones and that's what stops him. Heatley and Alfredsson got the memo and they are more vital to the Sens' success.

I just don't really like Bieksa. It took him a long time to establish himself and even then he's only had one good year.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:01 AM
TheCH*

Komisarek turned out to be a real good pick. Not much point in saying i would have taken guys like Kovalchuk or Mikko before him, because they actually did go before him so i wouldn't have had that choice anyway.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote