HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Thank you Bob for Pacioretty!

Old
01-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Shred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Is that english or it is just a bad translation, because if it's a bad translation it got me rire.
The québécois expression is 'dormir sur la switch'. Doubt you'll find it in many dictionaries though, and it's always hard to translate a butchered anglicism properly =/

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:54 AM
NewHabsEra*

the pass that he made to Pleks on his second goal was a beauty, this play showed me that this kid has some incredible offensive instinct.. No way he is sent back to Hamilton, is here to stay, brings too much at the table..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:11 AM
WildWolfdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
1st round - 12. Ryan McDonagh
1st round - 22. Max Pacioretty
2nd round - 43. P.K. Subban
3rd round - 73. Yannick Weber

2005 : Price, Latendresse, D'Agostini, Sergei K.

Message to George Gillet and Bob Gainey: When it's time to resign Trevor Timmins, give him the first number he comes up with.
I'm a Leafs fan, but damn @ your '07 draft.

WildWolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:11 AM
Michael Scott*

I actually think Patches is like Steve Mason...

They play better, the higher the level of Hockey because they are more challenged...

This actually happened to me when i played hockey, i played on a team that wasn't good and the league level i felt was a bit boring, but when i got called up to a better level and had decent players to play with, i played SO much better, and i tried even harder given the talent level was so much better.

Michael Scott* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:39 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolfdog View Post
when you REALLY think about it

the 05 one was better... i mean lets be REAL here bro

although i DO think mcdonaugh is gonna be AMAZING, i think pax is the only REAL amazing catch from that draft, but pk subban MIGHT surprise us! hes lookin real, real good

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:48 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
seriously?
no, jokes

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:06 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
1st round - 12. Ryan McDonagh
1st round - 22. Max Pacioretty
2nd round - 43. P.K. Subban
3rd round - 73. Yannick Weber

2005 : Price, Latendresse, D'Agostini, Sergei K.

Message to George Gillet and Bob Gainey: When it's time to resign Trevor Timmins, give him the first number he comes up with.
Just imagine if we would of traded Souray away at the time. We ended up losing him in the summer anyway for nothing. Gainey probably could of gotten another first round pick.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:25 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Imagine, we could have had another 1st rounder as well if Bob would have traded Souray away instead of letting him walk.

Who knows what other high draft pick we might be bragging about right now?
Please provide evidence of when a GM from a real team with real playoff aspirations in the real world traded away their contributing UFA veterans at the deadline. How often has it happened?

Souray was contributing, despite his defensive flaws. Rivet was ill and not contributing and San Jose was totally DESPERATE for a RH defenceman so they vastly overpaid. Also don't forget, the Habs got Gorges in the deal, so it wasn't a pure vet for draft pick deal. We got a roster player back too who was arguably just as good or better than the guy we gave up.

If in 2009 Bob Gainey trades Saku Koivu, Alexei Kovalev, Alex Tanguay, Robert Lang and Mike Komisarek at the deadline for five first round draft picks and a couple of lower picks, he should be fired. What Timmins could do with those picks is irrelevant.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:52 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I'm excited about paciroetty's potential, but lets remember that he has yet to go through an 82 game season at any level.

Like d'agostini, he has exploded out of the gate, but I'd like to see this kid when the initial adrenaline wears off.

I think patches will be a solid hab for years to come, but I'm not going to say that I expect him to sustain his current production rate. Sooner or later, he's going back to Hamilton.

What he's doing right now is showing the habs brass that he is a dead serious contender to make this team right out of camp for next season.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:08 AM
Tusk

BaseballCoach is a great poster, just sayin'.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:37 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
I'd rather have Rivet back at 4 mil than Georges and Pacioretty.
Gorges alone is better than Rivet... and cost like 1/4 of his salary.

Need some judgment here.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Doc McKenna

Don't forget that the reason a number of these guys have made the ransition is playing on the dogs, Timmons, Gainey, and even savard could have drafted almost anyone, but if they didn't get playing time and good player management at the AHL level we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 08:08 AM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Madsen View Post
Don't forget that the reason a number of these guys have made the ransition is playing on the dogs, Timmons, Gainey, and even savard could have drafted almost anyone, but if they didn't get playing time and good player management at the AHL level we wouldn't be having this discussion.
^Under spoken point.

hogtownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:02 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'm excited about paciroetty's potential, but lets remember that he has yet to go through an 82 game season at any level.

Like d'agostini, he has exploded out of the gate, but I'd like to see this kid when the initial adrenaline wears off.

I think patches will be a solid hab for years to come, but I'm not going to say that I expect him to sustain his current production rate. Sooner or later, he's going back to Hamilton.

What he's doing right now is showing the habs brass that he is a dead serious contender to make this team right out of camp for next season.
Well, even though the question was what to do when the guys ALL come back, I will agree with Hackett's point that someone currently hot could cool off if we are projecting far ahead.

I would rather focus on the more realistic near future with Koivu and Higgins being the two first guys back.

From last night's lineup, the two guys to come out would be Chipchura and Begin.

D'Ago would then play with Koivu and Higgins on the newly reconstituted line.

GUY LAFLEUR'S FOUR FOURTH LINES:
Plekanec-Kovalev-Pacioretty
Koivu-d'Agostini-Higgins
Lang-SKost-AKost
Lapierre-Kostopoulos-Latendresse

Now, if not a single one of the above 12 guys is hurt, and Tanguay comes back in another 4 weeks, the choice will be MIGHTY TOUGH. It will have to be made based on how the guys are playing at that time.

Maybe we could pull a Mike Keenan or Scotty Bowman and kill two birds with one stone. We could solve the forward logjam and our "6th defenceman problem" at the same time by moving Alexei Kovalev back to the blueline.

Okay, I was just kidding about that one!

Old
01-11-2009, 09:03 AM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Madsen View Post
Exact same reason why Detroit has been having so much success over the last 15 years.
Player development at the AHL level. When they call up guys, they already know the system and are already molded to fit with the team's mentality. This is what's happening in Montreal since Gainey and Timmins took over.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolfdog View Post
I'm amazed about it myself. It's all about the Timmins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leave Sidney Alone View Post
I actually think Patches is like Steve Mason...

They play better, the higher the level of Hockey because they are more challenged...

This actually happened to me when i played hockey, i played on a team that wasn't good and the league level i felt was a bit boring, but when i got called up to a better level and had decent players to play with, i played SO much better, and i tried even harder given the talent level was so much better.
There's even some guys that are average everywhere they go. But when they reach the top levels and things become serious they ****ing shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Imagine, we could have had another 1st rounder as well if Bob would have traded Souray away instead of letting him walk.

Who knows what other high draft pick we might be bragging about right now?
We might have had the chance to get Esposito. Plus it seems to me the Habs were not ready to give the moon to keep Sourey. And Burke in Anaheim was mad at Bob that the Sharks got one of our Ds. Bob could have just offered him Shelton.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-11-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Please provide evidence of when a GM from a real team with real playoff aspirations in the real world traded away their contributing UFA veterans at the deadline. How often has it happened?

Souray was contributing, despite his defensive flaws. Rivet was ill and not contributing and San Jose was totally DESPERATE for a RH defenceman so they vastly overpaid. Also don't forget, the Habs got Gorges in the deal, so it wasn't a pure vet for draft pick deal. We got a roster player back too who was arguably just as good or better than the guy we gave up.

If in 2009 Bob Gainey trades Saku Koivu, Alexei Kovalev, Alex Tanguay, Robert Lang and Mike Komisarek at the deadline for five first round draft picks and a couple of lower picks, he should be fired. What Timmins could do with those picks is irrelevant.
People forget we were one win from 8th that year. I thought we had that win too then we had to go out and choke in the final 25 minutes. Without Souray, there was no way we had that chance. Without Rivet, who was benched, we did. That's why the trade was made.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Max Pacioretty is the PERFECT winger to play with Alex Kovalev, He can follow up with his speed, doesn't mind getting his nose dirty in the corners, stays put in front of the net like a true powerforward laving Kovy with more space to set-up his plays, makes great passes. I know that he probably won't continue at this pace for very long just like D'Agostini, but man is he ever promissing for the future, it's what we have been dreaming for years....
Maybe it's just me but given that we don't have big talented centers, especialy in our prospects, I would love Max Pac to be more in control of the play by become a centerman. The guy possesses everything that there is to succeed as far size, skating, vision. He's unbelievably calm and poised for his age. It says to me he would have the kind of attitude to be a great center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
People forget we were one win from 8th that year. I thought we had that win too then we had to go out and choke in the final 25 minutes. Without Souray, there was no way we had that chance. Without Rivet, who was benched, we did. That's why the trade was made.
I seem to remember most people wishing for a trade even if we were near a playoff spot. We're talking about a team that had been underachieving for years and that no playoff spots would have lead to anything. And it was time to clean the air. Rivet was first and Sourey would probably go next.

The only problem for Bob would have been with the press. They would have found it unacceptable for the Habs to sacrifice a playoff spot for the futur. Bertrand Raymond said:"it would have meant, "we gave up" ". Not realising that trading Rivet was essentialy that too!

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-11-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:58 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
We might have had the chance to get Esposito. Plus it seems to me the Habs were not ready to give the moon to keep Sourey. And Burke in Anaheim was mad at Bob that the Sharks got one of our Ds. Bob could have just offered him Shelton.
If we had another first round pick, I guarantee we wouldn't have picked Esposito. Probably would've been Jim O'Brien, a big center that Ottawa picked, I believe. Plus, he's American.

Bottom line is, even if Pacioretty doesn't continue to put up points, if he goes to the front of the net and creates space for Pleks and Kovalev, and those two put up points. It'll be difficult for him to be sent down.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:05 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Max Pacioretty is the PERFECT winger to play with Alex Kovalev, He can follow up with his speed, doesn't mind getting his nose dirty in the corners, stays put in front of the net like a true powerforward laving Kovy with more space to set-up his plays, makes great passes. I know that he probably won't continue at this pace for very long just like D'Agostini, but man is he ever promissing for the future, it's what we have been dreaming for years....
Patches kind of reminds me of a Mike McPhee only little better finisher.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:08 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Gorges alone is better than Rivet... and cost like 1/4 of his salary.

Need some judgment here.
sarcasm is spelled sarcasm !

Quote:

great post bbc !!

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:13 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Patches kind of reminds me of a Mike McPhee only little better finisher.
Hey, Pierre McGuire.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:16 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Hey, Pierre McGuire.
yep no doubt, i heard McGuire say it on the broadcast against the Leafs !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:18 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I seem to remember most people wishing for a trade even if we were near a playoff spot.
Hence my question what REAL GM's ever do this, not what 'people on an internet forum called Hockey's Future' ask for it.

Quote:
We're talking about a team that had be en underachieving for years and that no playoff spots would have lead to anything. And it was time to clean the air. Rivet was first and Sourey would probably go next.

The only problem for Bob would have been with the press. They would have found it unacceptable for the Habs to sacrifice a playoff spot for the futur. Bertrand Raymond said:"it would have meant, "we gave up" ". Not realising that trading Rivet was essentially that too!
ROTFLMFAO

Rivet

Old
01-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Good post but the return would be more then 5 1st round picks and a couple of lower picks and no, if this happened, Gainey would not be fired.

If we gave away the Leafs 2nd round pick (high 2nd rounder probably) for Lang, at the trade deadline when he isn't 4 mil anymore, he should be worth a bit more. Same with Tanguay, we gave a 1st and a 2nd, at the deadline when his salary is irrelevant, he'll be worth more. I would imagine 5-8 first rounder, a handful of young players and a lot of lower picks, not a couple. We would have so many draft picks that I think it would be very probable that we find a superstar, maybe even more.

It would be unfortunate if they did a move like that this year and I would certainly hope they don't but Gainey would have to get authority from the owner to make such a drastic move and no, he would not be fired because of it if he was given the green light.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote