HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Thank you Bob for Pacioretty!

Old
01-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Hey, Pierre McGuire.
GNick is so busted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Hence my question what REAL GM's ever do this, not what 'people on an internet forum called Hockey's Future' ask for it.
Sure he's a GM and has to think about various things. But I don't think Bob was that high on Sourey. I think he knew the team wasn't in enough good shape to go far.

Quote:
ROTFLMFAO

Rivet
Rivet was still important to the club. A good veteran. He's a healty scratch for one game, then he's mad and suddenly it should be the biggest thing ever and the reason why they traded him? It felt like spring cleaning and the Habs needed that. And it wouldn't be surprising for Sourey to be next.

I'm saying all the cards were there to trade Sourey. And for some reasons he didn't pull the trigger.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-11-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:59 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Sure he's a GM and has to think about various things. But I don't think Bob was that high on Sourey. I think he knew the team wasn't in enough good shape to go far.

Rivet was still important to the club. A good veteran. He's a healty scratch for one game, then he's mad and suddenly it should be the biggest thing ever and the reason why they traded him? It felt like spring cleaning and the Habs needed that. And it wouldn't be surprising for Sourey to be next.

I'm saying all the cards were there to trade Sourey. And for some reasons he didn't pull the trigger.
i agree 100%, i liked Rivets game, he would always stand up for his teammates.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If we had another first round pick, I guarantee we wouldn't have picked Esposito. Probably would've been Jim O'Brien, a big center that Ottawa picked, I believe. Plus, he's American.

Bottom line is, even if Pacioretty doesn't continue to put up points, if he goes to the front of the net and creates space for Pleks and Kovalev, and those two put up points. It'll be difficult for him to be sent down.
I thought they were looking at MacMillan or Perron. Gainey and Timmins were coy whenever they were asked about drafting Esposito. They just kept saying that they were looking hard at a couple of players from the Q (i.e., not necessarily Quebec-born players).

About Rivet and Souray, I think the difference was pretty clear. For whatever behind-the-scene reason, Rivet played himself off the team. I seem to recall there having been issues about him openly questioning the coaches and their strategies. So, despite his admirable service to the Habs prior to that season, he had become expendable, or maybe even had-to-be-traded-able for the good of the team.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I thought they were looking at MacMillan or Perron. Gainey and Timmins were coy whenever they were asked about drafting Esposito. They just kept saying that they were looking hard at a couple of players from the Q (i.e., not necessarily Quebec-born players).

About Rivet and Souray, I think the difference was pretty clear. For whatever behind-the-scene reason, Rivet played himself off the team. I seem to recall there having been issues about him openly questioning the coaches and their strategies. So, despite his admirable service to the Habs prior to that season, he had become expendable, or maybe even had-to-be-traded-able for the good of the team.
Rivet was mad for one game! This wasn't enough to trade him.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:52 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Rivet was much too slow. He was finished. Pacs is like a big cat growing up. He will be deadly.
Quote:

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

MaxPac is unreal for an 19 years old! But to be more effective in front on the net and in the corner, i'm pretty sure that he will play all his career around 210-220 pounds...!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:05 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Rivet was part of the other Three Amigos clique with Koivu and Souray.

Since Gainey broke all those cliques, the team has become a TEAM and is playing way much better.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:10 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Rivet was part of the other Three Amigos clique with Koivu and Souray.

Since Gainey broke all those cliques, the team has become a TEAM and is playing way much better.
The old Koivu-Rivet vs Ribeiro-Dagenais quarrels I don't miss them and we managed to keep the best one out of the 4 players.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:25 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
It would be unfortunate if they did a move like that this year and I would certainly hope they don't but Gainey would have to get authority from the owner to make such a drastic move and no, he would not be fired because of it if he was given the green light.
Just so you know the Habs are not the Leafs or some other hockey team that is run like a bureaucracy. Gainey does whatever he wants when ever he chooses.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:27 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Please provide evidence of when a GM from a real team with real playoff aspirations in the real world traded away their contributing UFA veterans at the deadline. How often has it happened?

Souray was contributing, despite his defensive flaws. Rivet was ill and not contributing and San Jose was totally DESPERATE for a RH defenceman so they vastly overpaid. Also don't forget, the Habs got Gorges in the deal, so it wasn't a pure vet for draft pick deal. We got a roster player back too who was arguably just as good or better than the guy we gave up.

If in 2009 Bob Gainey trades Saku Koivu, Alexei Kovalev, Alex Tanguay, Robert Lang and Mike Komisarek at the deadline for five first round draft picks and a couple of lower picks, he should be fired. What Timmins could do with those picks is irrelevant.
Well for one Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay have no trade clauses so your "what if" doesn't even apply to the question.

Most experts and pundits alike said Souray wouldn't resign in Montreal and Gainey wouldn't give him the lenghty deal he was wanting either.

Here is a link from Spector in Feb.2007 saying what the West Coast teams may have been offering for Souray who they knew wanted to get to the coast to be by family;

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs...zz_over_Souray

It is alll rumor, but it a better "what if scenario" than the trade the UFA's and leaders on the Habs you are saying.

How many people here are still mad at Gainey for not trading Souray, and how many critics also said the same?

I'm just saying we got two good 1st rounders because of Rivet (our own with McDonagh and the SJ pick in Patches), we may have had a nice 3rd 1st rounder and a great prospect as well with Souray.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
MaxPac is unreal for an 19 years old! But to be more effective in front on the net and in the corner, i'm pretty sure that he will play all his career around 210-220 pounds...!
I think people just don't know or ignore that Tom Kostopolous is the same size as Tomas Holmstrom.

It's just as much skill as size to play in front of the net. Phil Esposito was a big guy in the 70s, but he also had one of the quickest sticks. That's why he was phenomenal in front of the net.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:41 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post

My impression of Rivet's situation was that he just wasn't buying in. He disagreed with the on ice philosophy and it became an issue. I don't think it was a dramatic thing, but he just wasn't on the same page. I've seen it before in business, when a heart n soul guy all of a sudden isn't loved by a new regime. It's tough to handle as you were there sacrificing when things were at their worst. That's what I read into it anyways.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:53 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Please provide evidence of when a GM from a real team with real playoff aspirations in the real world traded away their contributing UFA veterans at the deadline.
Not that I was for trading away Souray because I definitely wasn't, but does trading Huet at the deadline count?

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:14 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Not that I was for trading away Souray because I definitely wasn't, but does trading Huet at the deadline count?
No, because the organization decided to go with Price down the stretch, and basically did Huet a favour rather than keeping him around to be miserable and NON-contributing.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 08:20 PM
conquest8089

Max will be the captain of this squad in 5 years. Mark my words. He may not put up the points of Crosby/Ovechkin, but he's the type of player that leads a team. Does it all well and will improve. Reminds me of a young John LeClair.

conquest8089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 08:38 PM
la25ecoupe

What about Ryder not being traded?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:16 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by conquest8089 View Post
Max will be the captain of this squad in 5 years. Mark my words. He may not put up the points of Crosby/Ovechkin, but he's the type of player that leads a team. Does it all well and will improve. Reminds me of a young John LeClair.
I really don't think he'll be our captain in 5 years. Though i think judging him either way is kind of foolish, my money is on komisarek. You're a bit premature here.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I really don't think he'll be our captain in 5 years. Though i think judging him either way is kind of foolish, my money is on komisarek. You're a bit premature here.
Yeah, he's kind of behind Higgins, Komisarek, Chipchura, Lapierre and Gorges I'd say in that list.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:16 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Yeah, he's kind of behind Higgins, Komisarek, Chipchura, Lapierre and Gorges I'd say in that list.
i really can't see gorges being a captain of anything.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:34 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
What about Ryder not being traded?
Rumor was the Bruins were interested, but the Habs wanted no part of that incase it came back to haunt them in the playoffs and the return may have not been what Gainey wanted.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Viggo Mortensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I agree with you, Komi is a true leader

The best example for that:

When behind the bench when he was scratch, It was a good experience for him, and another step before he gets the C

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 07:13 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Rumor was the Bruins were interested, but the Habs wanted no part of that incase it came back to haunt them in the playoffs and the return may have not been what Gainey wanted.
The talk was that he was nearly dealt for Ference 2 years ago, and Tanguay last year.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Boulette Cannon

Pacioretty jersey coming up.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:08 AM
LyleOdelein

The thing about Pacioretty that has impressed me most is his acceleration. For a guy his size, he has a great first step. I'm extremely happy with his potential to be an impact player for years to come.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote