HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Volchenkov

Old
01-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Alex28*

vCash: 500
Volchenkov

What would it take for the Capitals to get him?

Assuming Ovechkin, Backstrom, Laich, Semin, Green, Alzner and Varlamov are protected.

He's injured a lot for Ottawa and doesn't seem like a good fit for their lineup, but seems like just the type of guy Caps are missing (reliable, gritty defender who's a beast in his own end but limited enough to be signed long term at 4 million)

I'd think Volchenkov for Fleischmann would be a win for both sides. Willing to go up as far as Fleischmann, Lepisto, Osala and a 1st.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Pabst Plays Westboro

Send a message via MSN to Pabst Plays Westboro
A-train is on a ****ing amazing contract and is as close to unmovable as it gets. He only recently has gotten hurt a lot and its pretty remarkable considering how many shots he blocks and how physical he plays. I can't say I know the caps lineup well but it would take a serious overpayment to get Volcheknov out of Ottawa.

You can have Schubert though!

Pabst Plays Westboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:32 AM
ClubSandwiches

Yeah that's actually a pretty misrepresentation of Volchenkov and his situation in Ottawa. He's not injured that often, and the Philips Volchenkov pairing is about as close to reliable as we've had this season or any.

The offer isn't bad value wise, other Sens fans will probably say no since he's a fan favorite.

ClubSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:34 AM
Alex28*

Thought as much. If Ottawa keeps struggling though they might go into desperation mode. Still, Fleischmann's contract is very good (on pace for almost 30 goals for 725,000, Ottawa needs secondary scoring), Lepisto can become a very good puck mover and has played at .5 ppg this year (Ottawa needs puck movers), and a good supporting player (another forward prospect or regular Dman) with a shower of picks can seem appealing if Ottawa is going for a rebuild/semi-rebuild. What would it take to get Murray to do the unthinkable?

Green Poti
Alzner Volchenkov (mega shutdown pair)
Jurcina/Schultz/Plug Carlson

That seems like an elite D corp and a perfect fit for what the caps have going offensively and system-wise.

Oh and we already have Schubert. His name is Schultz, Jurcina and Erskine.

Old
01-11-2009, 08:04 AM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
What would it take for the Capitals to get him?

Assuming Ovechkin, Backstrom, Laich, Semin, Green, Alzner and Varlamov are protected.

He's injured a lot for Ottawa and doesn't seem like a good fit for their lineup, but seems like just the type of guy Caps are missing (reliable, gritty defender who's a beast in his own end but limited enough to be signed long term at 4 million)

I'd think Volchenkov for Fleischmann would be a win for both sides. Willing to go up as far as Fleischmann, Lepisto, Osala and a 1st.
I am not exactly sure how is he not a good fit for our line up?

His game and 6+ blocked shots a game are good for any line up.. The only way Volchenkov leaves Ottawa is for a big overpayment.. Murray will need to be blown away..

Many who say Ottawa needs to rebuild do not realize that... for 1 Ottawa is playing about half as good as they should be.. and that a Top Prospect (so far looking like Tavares or Hedman) as well as a #1 D-man are all we need..

I do not want Volchenkov to go, the kid is a battleship, will replace Phillips in the future when he retires.. and IMO should be a candidate for Assistant Captain (only reason he wouldn't get it is because his English is quite bad I believe).

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:28 AM
trentmccleary

Volchenkov won't be traded, but you can have Smith for virtually nothing.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:36 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Willing to go up as far as Fleischmann, Lepisto, Osala and a 1st.
That's a pretty good offer. While I like Volchenkov, in a year or two this might seem like a steal for the sens. Fleischmann is awfully talented. Also, that would give the sens three first rounders, which makes trading up a bit easier if they're set on one of the top two picks.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Gus Fring

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
That's a pretty good offer. While I like Volchenkov, in a year or two this might seem like a steal for the sens. Fleischmann is awfully talented. Also, that would give the sens three first rounders, which makes trading up a bit easier if they're set on one of the top two picks.
Looks like we're playing ourselves into a top two pick anyway.

Gus Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:54 AM
4rde

Quote:
Fleischmann, Lepisto, Osala and a 1st.
You serious? You seem to like Volchenkov alot, because only way Caps would offer all those would be in case of a superstar coming their way.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:00 AM
rumman

don't think he's going anywhere, but he's the type of player 29 other teams would wet their pants to have, enough said!

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Asquaredx2

So you want basically our best defenceman when age and contract are considered and a fan favourite, someone who lead this team to the Stanley Cup Finals but 2 years ago and you wont give up Brooks Laich?

We're interested in Semin, but assume these players are off the table:
Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson, Vermette, Karlsson, Volchenkov, and our 1st are protected.

Volchenkov is a great fit in our line-up and someone who fits into the future of this team as the defensive stud to complement Karlsson and potentially Hedman. We're not looking to give him away unless you blow us away with an offer of quality, not quantity as you've tried to do.

Would you trade Semin for Vermette, Wiercioch, O'Brien and SJs 1st?

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquaredx2 View Post
So you want basically our best defenceman when age and contract are considered and a fan favourite, someone who lead this team to the Stanley Cup Finals but 2 years ago and you wont give up Brooks Laich?

We're interested in Semin, but assume these players are off the table:
Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson, Vermette, Karlsson, Volchenkov, and our 1st are protected.

Volchenkov is a great fit in our line-up and someone who fits into the future of this team as the defensive stud to complement Karlsson and potentially Hedman. We're not looking to give him away unless you blow us away with an offer of quality, not quantity as you've tried to do.

Would you trade Semin for Vermette, Wiercioch, O'Brien and SJs 1st?
Fleischmann - 24 year old forward on pace for 30 goals and rapidly improved from last year, 2 year 725,000 contract.

Lepisto - Caps best puck moving prospect, averaged .5 ppg while called up.

Osala - solid power forward prospect with great history at juniors.

1st - probably a mid 20s draft pick in a deep draft.

Assuming Caps also give up Morrisson, who's a proven defensive defenseman (though obviously not as good as Volchenkov), I fail to see how it's not a win for Ottawa, since all the guys the Caps are giving up are younger with Volchenkov and have excellent potential.

Ottawa needs a boost on secondary scoring, and this would also light up its prospect pool. None of the guys I mentioned are even remotely busts, or have bad contracts.

Old
01-11-2009, 03:16 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Fleischmann - 24 year old forward on pace for 30 goals and rapidly improved from last year, 2 year 725,000 contract.

Lepisto - Caps best puck moving prospect, averaged .5 ppg while called up.

Osala - solid power forward prospect with great history at juniors.

1st - probably a mid 20s draft pick in a deep draft.

Assuming Caps also give up Morrisson, who's a proven defensive defenseman (though obviously not as good as Volchenkov), I fail to see how it's not a win for Ottawa, since all the guys the Caps are giving up are younger with Volchenkov and have excellent potential.

Ottawa needs a boost on secondary scoring, and this would also light up its prospect pool. None of the guys I mentioned are even remotely busts, or have bad contracts.
There's no way the Caps give up that much, no way at all, even if Volchenkov is great.

What about Phillips?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
There's no way the Caps give up that much, no way at all, even if Volchenkov is great.

What about Phillips?
A fearless defensive defenseman of his caliber is pretty much the only piece they're missing to go deep in the playoffs.

They've been holding up admirably in the regular season with a crappy defensive corps but they won't go far in the playoffs because that's when everyone starts crashing the net, putting up screens and harassing you in the offensive zone.

Only one Caps have in the system who can become that fearless stay at home guy is Carlson, and that's in a couple of years assuming he gets the best development imaginable. That's why I think Volchenkov's worth an overpayment. He's young, still developing, ballsy as hell, has a good contract and we'd be able to resign him long term. All the parts we're giving up are worth a lot but not integral to the franchise the way it's structured right now. We're set on those positions for the near future. We have 3 or 4 guys in Hershey that would be on most NHL teams but aren't up on the Caps (even though Clark's partially responsible for that). Fleischmann to me would be the biggest loss since he has 40 goal potential, but none of them are crucial, but we didn't miss a beat any time Flash was out this year.

Alzner/Poti + Volchenkov = perfect shutdown pair. One guy to take all the shots and bodies, one highly technical guy to scoop the puck up amidst the chaos and transfer it up front.

Phillips is quite good at what he does, but I don't see him as being nearly as valuable to the Caps in the long term.

Old
01-11-2009, 03:31 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
A fearless defensive defenseman of his caliber is pretty much the only piece they're missing to go deep in the playoffs.

They've been holding up admirably in the regular season with a crappy defensive corps but they won't go far in the playoffs because that's when everyone starts crashing the net, putting up screens and harassing you in the offensive zone.

Only one Caps have in the system who can become that fearless stay at home guy is Carlson, and that's in a couple of years assuming he gets the best development imaginable. That's why I think Volchenkov's worth an overpayment. He's young, still developing, ballsy as hell, has a good contract and we'd be able to resign him long term. All the parts we're giving up are worth a lot but not integral to the franchise the way it's structured right now. We're set on those positions for the near future. Fleischmann to me would be the biggest loss since he has 40 goal potential, but none of them are crucial, but we didn't miss a beat any time Flash was out this year.

Alzner/Poti + Volchenkov = perfect shutdown pair. One guy to take all the shots and bodies, one highly technical guy to scoop the puck up amidst the chaos and transfer it up front.
That's beside the point. GMGM doesn't lose trades, he either wins, draws, or doesn't make them. He's not going to overpay for someone like Volchenkov, even if he's exactly the type we'd need (and I agree on that, although GMGM might not given his apparent vision for the team).

If he does pick someone up it's probably not someone that young, either. He's a lateral move in terms of "veteran-ness" from Morrisonn, even if he's got more playoff experience.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
That's beside the point. GMGM doesn't lose trades, he either wins, draws, or doesn't make them. He's not going to overpay for someone like Volchenkov, even if he's exactly the type we'd need (and I agree on that, although GMGM might not given his apparent vision for the team).

If he does pick someone up it's probably not someone that young, either. He's a lateral move in terms of "veteran-ness" from Morrisonn, even if he's got more playoff experience.
At some point, unless you're Detroit, you have to lose trades to become a contender. If a guy is just the piece you're missing and would make a major difference for your team (as I believe Volchenkov would) and has franchise player potential, he's worth giving up young talent that probably won't play half the role it could on your team because you're already so stacked in those departments. I don't see us losing out with this trade the way Pens had with Hossa since Volchenkov would be resignable. Osala seems like a potential 30 goal scorer/roleplayer on any other team but with us he'll most likely be stuck behind Fehr forever. Fleischmann isa solid second line talent on about 27 teams out there (Ottawa included) with first line potential who's not making much of a difference for the Caps even despite his newly found scoring touch. Same with Lepisto, we're loaded with puck movers but so short on reliable stay at home types we have Collins up over him.

As for veteran-ness, we have Poti for that. This guy will lie down before an artillery round and shake it off like it's nothing. Those tend to be the things that fire our group up the most. They're always buzzing for 10 minutes straight after each time Laich does his heroic shotblocking acts or Bradley gets his ass kicked.