HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

2009 Roster Moves and Contract Talks. Contract Numbers (Post #1/#826).

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2009, 04:29 PM
  #51
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.
 
Zetsyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
Why has Zetterberg fallen out of favor so quickly with Wings fans? He's coming off a Conn Smythe, scoring at a PPG pace while playing elite defense, and everyone is throwing him under the bus... This guy is the Wings' future captain.

Amazing what a "slow start" can do to a guy's reputation. Datsyuk has been better so far this season, but it's still arguable as to who the better player is. The bottom line is that on any given night, either of them can play like the best forward in the league.

PS: No he can't. The player has to be on an entry-level contract or over 35 years old to sign an incentive-based deal.

I'll trust the Wings management (that has brought the team and fans four cups in eleven years) over HF's armchair GM's -- look at what you just said: Dump Zetterberg, re-sign Hossa and Franzen, then throw Gaborik a contract that isn't allowed under the CBA. Sounds easy the way you put it.
Agreed. Everyone has to realize that Zetterberg's role is much different. He's been on the 2nd line for the most part, and is setting people up, instead of having Datsyuk to work with. Give the man a break.

Zetsyuk is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 04:59 PM
  #52
ThatOneGuy*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
Why has Zetterberg fallen out of favor so quickly with Wings fans? He's coming off a Conn Smythe, scoring at a PPG pace while playing elite defense, and everyone is throwing him under the bus... This guy is the Wings' future captain.

Amazing what a "slow start" can do to a guy's reputation. Datsyuk has been better so far this season, but it's still arguable as to who the better player is. The bottom line is that on any given night, either of them can play like the best forward in the league.

PS: No he can't. The player has to be on an entry-level contract or over 35 years old to sign an incentive-based deal.

I'll trust the Wings management (that has brought the team and fans four cups in eleven years) over HF's armchair GM's -- look at what you just said: Dump Zetterberg, re-sign Hossa and Franzen, then throw Gaborik a contract that isn't allowed under the CBA. Sounds easy the way you put it.

Edit: After doing some research, signing Gaborik to an incentive-based deal will probably be possible (he'd have to sign a one year deal and be disabled for 100+ days) but there's no chance he'd do that. Teams are going to line up to sign him regardless of his injury history.
Don't question my posts and than do "Research". Gaborik can absolutely sign with the Wings next season on a purely incentive based deal. More than like based around just games played.

And its nothing to do with Zetterberg "Falling out of favor" it has more to do with him coming back down to earth. Instead of being insanely overrated, hes right where he should be.

The Wings have won a single cup under the cap. And the major reason that happened was because guys like Lidstrom and Datsyuk took less than they were worth for the betterment of the team. A lesson Z could learn.

I still don't see the point of the "Next captain" tagline. Its nothing more than something you'd see on a t-shirt. Datsyuk outperforms Zetterberg in every aspect of the game and it has nothing to do with his line mates.

It isn't a coincidence that Zetterberg's best season and a half came while playing with Datsyuk. Datsyuk on the other hand, lost Z as his linemate and is still performing as if nothing happened. So that tells me one of two things..

1. Datsyuk can play with anyone and Zetterberg needs Datsyuk to perform at last seasons pace.

2. Zetterberg and Hossa are equal, which means, whoever takes less stays.

Holland is smart and hes playing both of them against each other. People need to realize that the second Hossa signs, Zetterberg is gone or vice versa.

Its either...

Hossa/Z + Hudler, Samuelsson, Conklin

or

Hossa and Z

Id rather have depth as oppossed to paying Crosby money to Zetterberg and im sure Holland feels the same way. We're not talking about Yzerman here.. or even Fedorov for that matter. Zetterberg hasn't been around long enough to be labeled untouchable.

ThatOneGuy* is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 05:02 PM
  #53
ThatOneGuy*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk View Post
Agreed. Everyone has to realize that Zetterberg's role is much different. He's been on the 2nd line for the most part, and is setting people up, instead of having Datsyuk to work with. Give the man a break.
A break?

Datsyuk is more than likely going to play the majority of the season with Homer and Franzen. Zetterberg will play with Cleary/Hudler and Hossa.

Its arguable who has better line mates. What I see is Zetterberg struggling from the loss of Datsyuk on his line, not the other way around.

Thats why Datsyuk's value is higher, he can play with anyone. I also feel thats why Hossa's value is higher, he can play with anyone because he carries lines. He doesn't need a "Elite" center to score 40.

Up until this point we do know for a fact that if you want Zetterberg to play like he did for the last season and a half, than he has to play with Datsyuk. Which is fine but it makes the team top heavy and less balanced.

ThatOneGuy* is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 05:20 PM
  #54
Ricelund
We like our team.
 
Ricelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zune View Post
Don't question my posts and than do "Research". Gaborik can absolutely sign with the Wings next season on a purely incentive based deal. More than like based around just games played.
Okay, how about after I do my research, we question some of your "logic." These are the requirements (that would apply to Gaborik) for an incentive based contract, directly from the CBA:



He'd have to sign a one-year deal to have an incentive based contract. Explain to me just why Gaborik will turn down multi-year, guaranteed money to sign with the Wings. Don't bring up Hossa, because Hossa turned down term but had a guaranteed $7.45 million waiting. Gaborik would be out of his mind to take an incentive based deal when there are going to be teams throwing mega deals his way -- and there will be.

Quote:
And its nothing to do with Zetterberg "Falling out of favor" it has more to do with him coming back down to earth. Instead of being insanely overrated, hes right where he should be.
What? Insanely overrated? He led the team in playoff scoring, won the Smythe, and was a Selke runner-up. He has been the Wings leading goal-scorer since the lockout and by a fair margin.

Quote:
The Wings have won a single cup under the cap. And the major reason that happened was because guys like Lidstrom and Datsyuk took less than they were worth for the betterment of the team. A lesson Z could learn.
Excuse me? Has Zetterberg signed his contract yet? He's going to re-sign and it's going to be below market value. Book it. He could get $8 or $9 million on the open market. I guarantee he'll re-sign for less than that.

Quote:
I still don't see the point of the "Next captain" tagline. Its nothing more than something you'd see on a t-shirt. Datsyuk outperforms Zetterberg in every aspect of the game and it has nothing to do with his line mates.
Since when was being a captain based purely on performance? If that were the case, you'd see the arrangement of captains in the league switched around quite a bit. Zetterberg has been praised for his leadership abilities since day one by management, players, and coaches. It's arguable, but Zetterberg's been better in the playoffs than Datsyuk, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zune View Post
A break?

Datsyuk is more than likely going to play the majority of the season with Homer and Franzen. Zetterberg will play with Cleary/Hudler and Hossa.

Its arguable who has better line mates. What I see is Zetterberg struggling from the loss of Datsyuk on his line, not the other way around.

Thats why Datsyuk's value is higher, he can play with anyone. I also feel thats why Hossa's value is higher, he can play with anyone because he carries lines. He doesn't need a "Elite" center to score 40.

Up until this point we do know for a fact that if you want Zetterberg to play like he did for the last season and a half, than he has to play with Datsyuk. Which is fine but it makes the team top heavy and less balanced.
Zetterberg scored 39 goals in '05-'06 playing primarily with Samuelsson and Holmstrom.

Looking forward to the second half of the season when Zetterberg heats up. It'll be interesting to see people jump back on the bandwagon.


Last edited by Ricelund: 01-11-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Ricelund is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 05:24 PM
  #55
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.
 
Zetsyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zune View Post
A break?

Datsyuk is more than likely going to play the majority of the season with Homer and Franzen. Zetterberg will play with Cleary/Hudler and Hossa.

Its arguable who has better line mates. What I see is Zetterberg struggling from the loss of Datsyuk on his line, not the other way around.

Thats why Datsyuk's value is higher, he can play with anyone. I also feel thats why Hossa's value is higher, he can play with anyone because he carries lines. He doesn't need a "Elite" center to score 40.

Up until this point we do know for a fact that if you want Zetterberg to play like he did for the last season and a half, than he has to play with Datsyuk. Which is fine but it makes the team top heavy and less balanced.
That's what I said... Zetterberg isn't getting as many points because of the absence of Datsyuk.
This was never an argument of linemates in general, rather how Hank and Datsyuk's chemistry was incomparable by any other tandem in the league. They both have great linemates who can finish, but Datsyuk is above and beyond any of Hank's current linemates.

Zetsyuk is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 05:29 PM
  #56
ThatOneGuy*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk View Post
That's what I said... Zetterberg isn't getting as many points because of the absence of Datsyuk.
This was never an argument of linemates in general, rather how Hank and Datsyuk's chemistry was incomparable by any other tandem in the league. They both have great linemates who can finish, but Datsyuk is above and beyond any of Hank's current linemates.
And thats what im pointing out. He doesn't need a "break". A lot of fans still think its up in the air as to which of the two is better. But the stats and overall play show that Datsyuk can perform with or without Zetterberg. On the other hand, Zetterberg is still a great player but hes not a superstar without Datsyuk.

If thats the case, than Z shouldn't be making a million or more than Datsyuk, especially with the cap going down.

ThatOneGuy* is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 05:35 PM
  #57
ThatOneGuy*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
Okay, how about after I do my research, we question some of your "logic." These are the requirements (that would apply to Gaborik) for an incentive based contract, directly from the CBA:



He'd have to sign a one-year deal to have an incentive based contract. Explain to me just why Gaborik will turn down multi-year, guaranteed money to sign with the Wings. Don't bring up Hossa, because Hossa turned down term but had a guaranteed $7.45 million waiting. Gaborik would be out of his mind to take an incentive based deal when there are going to be teams throwing mega deals his way -- and there will be.


What? Insanely overrated? He led the team in playoff scoring, won the Smythe, and was a Selke runner-up. He has been the Wings leading goal-scorer since the lockout and by a fair margin.


Excuse me? Has Zetterberg signed his contract yet? He's going to re-sign and it's going to be below market value. Book it. He could get $8 or $9 million on the open market. I guarantee he'll re-sign for less than that.


Since when was being a captain based purely on performance? If that were the case, you'd see the arrangement of captains in the league switched around quite a bit. Zetterberg has been praised for his leadership abilities since day one by management, players, and coaches. It's arguable, but Zetterberg's been better in the playoffs than Datsyuk, IMO.


Zetterberg scored 39 goals in '05-'06 playing primarily with Samuelsson and Holmstrom.

Looking forward to the second half of the season when Zetterberg heats up. It'll be interesting to see people jump back on the bandwagon.
No team in the league is going to give Gaborik $7 million a season long term, it won't happen. Hes going to have to try out first, with a one year incentive based deal. I won't argue that Gaborik could get a multi year deal but it certainly wouldn't be worth seven million or more.

Goals since lockout:

Datsyuk: 108

Zetterberg: 131

23 more goals over five seasons is really not that impressive. Leading the team in scoring just once would have been nice.

ThatOneGuy* is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 05:47 PM
  #58
Ricelund
We like our team.
 
Ricelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zune View Post
Goals since lockout:

Datsyuk: 108

Zetterberg: 131

23 more goals over five seasons is really not that impressive. Leading the team in scoring just once would have been nice.
PPG since the lockout:

Zetterberg
05/06: 85/77 = 1.1
06/07: 68/65 = 1.04
07/08: 92/75 = 1.2
Total: 245/217 = 1.13

Datsyuk
05/06: 87/75 = 1.2
06/07: 87/79 = 1.1
07/08: 97/82 = 1.2
Total: 271/236 = 1.15

A .02 PPG difference is really not that impressive. A Conn Smythe would've been nice.

We can go back and forth all day.


Last edited by Ricelund: 01-11-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Ricelund is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 05:59 PM
  #59
ThatOneGuy*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
PPG since the lockout:

Zetterberg
05/06: 85/77 = 1.1
06/07: 68/65 = 1.04
07/08: 92/75 = 1.2
Total: 245/217 = 1.13

Datsyuk
05/06: 87/75 = 1.2
06/07: 87/79 = 1.1
07/08: 97/82 = 1.2
Total: 271/236 = 1.15

A .02 PPG difference is really not that impressive. A Conn Smythe would've been nice.

We can go back and forth all day.
Theres no "back and fourth". Datsyuk plays more games, scores more points and makes his line mates better. Please compare seasons in which they didn't play together for reference.

ThatOneGuy* is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 06:04 PM
  #60
Ricelund
We like our team.
 
Ricelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zune View Post
Theres no "back and fourth". Datsyuk plays more games, scores more points and makes his line mates better. Please compare seasons in which they didn't play together for reference.
As I mentioned already, Zetterberg played with Samuelsson and Holmstrom in '05/'06 and scored 39 goals and 85 points. Samuelsson and Holmstrom also had career years. Datsyuk, on the other hand, was setting up Shanahan and ended up with two more points than Hank.

Zetterberg has a Smythe on his resume. You can say all you want, but that must be taken into consideration.

I've said pretty much all I believe in this thread. You're pretty biased towards Datsyuk and that's evident. He's out-performed Zetterberg so far but Zetterberg outperformed him in the playoffs last year. I think the two are extremely close, so close that there's not much of a point in arguing.

Hank will re-sign for a reasonable deal.

It really is funny how these negotiations can effect a fan's views on a player. Datsyuk was receiving the same kind of treatment while negotiating his two most recent deals too.

Ricelund is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 06:12 PM
  #61
ThatOneGuy*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
As I mentioned already, Zetterberg played with Samuelsson and Holmstrom in '05/'06 and scored 39 goals and 85 points. Samuelsson and Holmstrom also had career years. Datsyuk, on the other hand, was setting up Shanahan and ended up with two more points than Hank.

Zetterberg has a Smythe on his resume. You can say all you want, but that must be taken into consideration.

I've said pretty much all I believe in this thread. You're pretty biased towards Datsyuk and that's evident. He's out-performed Zetterberg so far but Zetterberg outperformed him in the playoffs last year. I think the two are extremely close, so close that there's not much of a point in arguing.

Hank will re-sign for a reasonable deal.
Datsyuk played with Shanahan and Draper and it was a terrible line, you know it and I know it. It was three people, on a line with no chemistry.

The argument before this season was that Zetterberg and Datsyuk were basically equal. They play on the same team, in the same system and get the same amount of ice time. They also play the same position so comparing them is extremely easy.

So yes, if one outscores the other its easy to say which is better. The fact that Datsyuk is the one outscoring Hank is the reason you say its "Too close to call". Its also the reason why you reference points per game instead of actual points scored.

Zetterberg is quickly becoming the second coming of Forsberg. In the sense people care more about what he could do instead of what he really is doing. Forsberg, at the pace he was scoring last season, COULD have scored 150 points. On the other hand, he rarely played.

Hank scored four more points than Datsyuk in the playoffs. He scored one more than Hossa in one more game. Don't act like he was unbelievably better than the rest.

ThatOneGuy* is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 06:22 PM
  #62
Ricelund
We like our team.
 
Ricelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zune View Post
So yes, if one outscores the other its easy to say which is better. The fact that Datsyuk is the one outscoring Hank is the reason you say its "Too close to call". Its also the reason why you reference points per game instead of actual points scored.
... or it could be because I actually believe it's too close to call. I think Zetterberg is better defensively of the two. He's more injury prone, but when both are playing at their peaks it's pretty even. I use PPG because of Hank's injuries -- which also have to be taken into account in his next contract.

Quote:
Hank scored four more points than Datsyuk in the playoffs. He scored one more than Hossa in one more game. Don't act like he was unbelievably better than the rest.
When did I act like he was unbelievably better than the rest? I said I think he outplayed Datsyuk. Most people did, as evidenced by the Smythe. Who was out there in those big 5-on-3's? Zetterberg, not Datsyuk.

Ricelund is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 06:29 PM
  #63
ThatOneGuy*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
... or it could be because I actually believe it's too close to call. I think Zetterberg is better defensively of the two. He's more injury prone, but when both are playing at their peaks it's pretty even. I use PPG because of Hank's injuries -- which also have to be taken into account in his next contract.


When did I act like he was unbelievably better than the rest? I said I think he outplayed Datsyuk. Most people did, as evidenced by the Smythe. Who was out there in those big 5-on-3's? Zetterberg, not Datsyuk.
Lilja was out there for one of the five on threes, I guess hes the second best defender on the team? Zetterberg plays on five on threes because hes more passive defensively. He doesn't challenge at all on PKs. Datsyuk on the other hand gambles, which a lot of the time leads to a takeaway, clear or a short handed scoring chance.

Datsyuk won the Selke last season and even though you think Z is better defensively, the writers thought otherwise. I don't understand why this point is up for debate. Datsyuk won handidly against Madden and Z. And it wasn't because of the extra 5 points he scored.

ThatOneGuy* is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 06:35 PM
  #64
Ricelund
We like our team.
 
Ricelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zune View Post
Lilja was out there for one of the five on threes, I guess hes the second best defender on the team? Zetterberg plays on five on threes because hes more passive defensively. He doesn't challenge at all on PKs. Datsyuk on the other hand gambles, which a lot of the time leads to a takeaway, clear or a short handed scoring chance.

Datsyuk won the Selke last season and even though you think Z is better defensively, the writers thought otherwise. I don't understand why this point is up for debate. Datsyuk won handidly against Madden and Z. And it wasn't because of the extra 5 points he scored.
Yeah, I don't think there is anything wrong with saying Lilja is the second best PK defenseman on the team.

Zetterberg had two shorthanded goals in the playoffs last year. Datsyuk had none.

Zetterberg won the Smythe based largely on his defense.

You're the one saying Datsyuk is better in all aspects. I'm saying it's more even than you think.

Ricelund is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 06:40 PM
  #65
ThatOneGuy*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
Yeah, I don't think there is anything wrong with saying Lilja is the second best PK defenseman on the team.

Zetterberg had two shorthanded goals in the playoffs last year. Datsyuk had none.

Zetterberg won the Smythe based largely on his defense.

You're the one saying Datsyuk is better in all aspects. I'm saying it's more even than you think.
OK and if things are so equal, why is everyone pushing to throw the bank at Z? If things are "Equal" and the cap is falling, the economy is terrible and theres even talks of the NHL contracting, how does anyone, including yourself justify Zetterberg making more than Datsyuk?

Inflation isn't the answer. When Z's deal kicks in, the cap number will be nearly identical to that of Datsyuk's.

ThatOneGuy* is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 06:45 PM
  #66
Ricelund
We like our team.
 
Ricelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zune View Post
OK and if things are so equal, why is everyone pushing to throw the bank at Z? If things are "Equal" and the cap is falling, the economy is terrible and theres even talks of the NHL contracting, how does anyone, including yourself justify Zetterberg making more than Datsyuk?

Inflation isn't the answer. When Z's deal kicks in, the cap number will be nearly identical to that of Datsyuk's.
I don't and have never justified breaking the bank for Zetterberg. Taking Datsyuk's circumstances into account when he signed the deal (playoff bust, not elite defensively) and Zetterberg's (Smythe winner, Selke runner-up,) I think a small raise is justified.

In an ideal world, they'd be paid the same amount -- but because of the reasons I just listed, along with several others listed in this thread, Hank's going to get more than Pavel.

Ricelund is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 06:52 PM
  #67
ThatOneGuy*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
And Thornton and Iginla were both "Elite" players before they signed their current deals, both making less than $7 million. Brodeur also has a deal below $7 million.

Is Hank better than Thornton in 05-06?

ThatOneGuy* is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 07:30 PM
  #68
Ricelund
We like our team.
 
Ricelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zune View Post
And Thornton and Iginla were both "Elite" players before they signed their current deals, both making less than $7 million. Brodeur also has a deal below $7 million.

Is Hank better than Thornton in 05-06?
...and Richards makes $7.8 million, Gomez makes $7.3 million, Drury makes $7 million, Spezza makes $7.5 million... then there's the Lecavalier and Briere deals.

BTW, Thornton makes $7.2 million. Both Thornton and Iginla made considerably more money prior to their current contracts than Hank has in his career.

How do you justify Hossa making $7.45 million? He's at a point per game exactly, just like Hank, and played with Datsyuk for the majority of the season so far.


Last edited by Ricelund: 01-11-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Ricelund is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 08:31 PM
  #69
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus
 
TheFirebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Yoshinoyama, Nara
Country: Japan
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
...and Richards makes $7.8 million, Gomez makes $7.3 million, Drury makes $7 million, Spezza makes $7.5 million... then there's the Lecavalier and Briere deals.

BTW, Thornton makes $7.2 million. Both Thornton and Iginla made considerably more money prior to their current contracts than Hank has in his career.

How do you justify Hossa making $7.45 million? He's at a point per game exactly, just like Hank, and played with Datsyuk for the majority of the season so far.
About Hossa's signing; have you ever heard of the saying "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"?

That was an opportunity centered around a one year contract. How many teams, do you think, would have killed to have Hossa for a one year contract at 7.45? The same would be true of Zetterberg, but anything after an experimental one year contract for a place on a yearly Stanley Cup contender such as the Red Wings, given that the salary cap is likely to decrease, will have to be for less money per year.

Honestly, I expect at least Zetterberg and Hossa to sign a contract similar to Datsyuk's. Both players have said that they want to stay with the Wings, and neither player wants to take away from the mojo of the team by pushing their teammates off through demanding higher salaries. Franzen might be the only one
stubborn enough to try something like that; he is The Mule, after all.

His loss if he decides to leave, just gives us an opportunity to bring in Helm or Leino.

TheFirebird is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 08:35 PM
  #70
Comely
Registered User
 
Comely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 1,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
... Spezza makes $7.5 million...
Spezza's Cap hit is 7 and Heatly's is 7.5 actually, that being said if Zetterberg signs for anything less then 7.5 he is giving you guys a deal.

Comely is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 09:51 PM
  #71
HockeyinHD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zune View Post
And Thornton and Iginla were both "Elite" players before they signed their current deals, both making less than $7 million. Brodeur also has a deal below $7 million.

Is Hank better than Thornton in 05-06?
Percentage of cap at the time the deal is signed is relevant.

HockeyinHD is offline  
Old
01-12-2009, 02:14 AM
  #72
benusmc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Z is also banging a rich superstar who I'm sure brings plenty of money to the table also. Z is due for a raise but don't make it sound like he's eating hamburger helper while Dats is eating steaks. At the end of the day Datsyuk is better defensively he has more take aways and won the Selke(what does that award mean again...) granted yes Z won the conn smythe on his defensive play in the finals, but through the entire season people seemed to think Dats was better. Z also has more goals but less points then Dats, lastly he is injuried much more then Dats. You also have to keep in mind who is doing better now that they are split apart.(when you think about it maybe that is Holland and Babs plan in order to lower his asking price) The cap is going down so why should we just say well inflation from Dats comes into play, and not keep in mind the cap. Also yes he does show great commitment to the team if he takes less in order to keep Mule and Hudler that is something Stevie Y and Lids HAVE DONE. Which is what helped make them the legend of hockeytown and untradable, call us selfish, but Wings fans love character and expect it out of the C more so then anyone else on the team. Z himself admitted he needs to take a bit less then he could get in order for the team to be able to maintain high end talent. In the end if Z makes more then 7 I will be highly disappointed.

benusmc is offline  
Old
01-12-2009, 08:12 AM
  #73
zecke26
Registered User
 
zecke26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by benusmc View Post
At the end of the day Datsyuk is better defensively he has more take aways and won the Selke(what does that award mean again...) granted yes Z won the conn smythe on his defensive play in the finals, but through the entire season people seemed to think Dats was better.
i think Z is the better D-player. stats and awards are the curse of modern hockey discussions. i wonder if anyone actually watched the games or if people just read the stats.

which stat shows us how good the positioning of a player is to make the space smaller for opponents or to take out players completely?

datsyuk is the flashy puck stealer, but Z is the guy who takes away space. it's nice to have both types on a team btw. gives you plenty of options on PK and in critical moments.

zecke26 is offline  
Old
01-12-2009, 08:43 AM
  #74
ThatOneGuy*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
i think Z is the better D-player. stats and awards are the curse of modern hockey discussions. i wonder if anyone actually watched the games or if people just read the stats.

which stat shows us how good the positioning of a player is to make the space smaller for opponents or to take out players completely?

datsyuk is the flashy puck stealer, but Z is the guy who takes away space. it's nice to have both types on a team btw. gives you plenty of options on PK and in critical moments.
OK since a select few of you think Datsyuk didn't deserve the Selke than Zetterberg didn't deserve the Conn Smyth. I have nothing to back that up, its just my opinion and on this message board opinion and personal preference trumps fact..

Datsyuk won the Selke last season, making him the best defensive player in the league. Hes probably going to win it again this season, who was the last player to win the Selke back to back? Jere Lehtinen? I guess that was a fluke too.

ThatOneGuy* is offline  
Old
01-12-2009, 08:45 AM
  #75
Jussha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
i think Z is the better D-player. stats and awards are the curse of modern hockey discussions. i wonder if anyone actually watched the games or if people just read the stats.

which stat shows us how good the positioning of a player is to make the space smaller for opponents or to take out players completely?

datsyuk is the flashy puck stealer, but Z is the guy who takes away space. it's nice to have both types on a team btw. gives you plenty of options on PK and in critical moments.
I think it is very difficult to say who is outright the better defensive player, but imo one of the things that makes Zetterberg seem better is that he appears to work harder at defense than Datsyuk does, but this I think is due to Datsyuk making everything look effortless, that you don't think he is trying as hard on defense (don't know if that makes sense). Like, when you say Datsyuk take the puck away from someone he makes it look so routine that you may not realize how good he is defensively, whereas Zetterberg you constantly see hounding the opposing forwards that you see how hard he is working at playing defense it appears that he possibly working harder than Datsyuk, when in reality they are probably working just as hard as the other.

One thing I have noticed this year is that Datsyuk is actually doing full dives to the ice to block shots now, added to his recent element of body checking, I really don't think there is a thing on the ice Pavel can't do now, he is simply amazing.

Jussha is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.