HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mont-Edm Mont-NYI

Old
01-09-2009, 02:27 AM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
You have to be impressed by the educational system up there in Canada.
Please do not judge us from this poster. I skip any post with language like "Gunna" and so on I'm assuming he's probably about 12-13 yrs old anyways so....What can you do

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Montreal offered Souray 5.5 for 4 years and Edmonton offered 5.4 for 5 years

Do you have a link? Its the first time I've heard of this.

There really isnt a big spread between the two.

Sheldon Souray 38GP 12G 17A 29Pts 0+/- 51PiM 3GWG 24:54TOI 15:56ES 3:49PK 5:08PP 35BkS 33GvA 21TkA 35Hits
Andrei Markov 40GP 6G 24A 30Pts +9 20PiM 2GwG 24:31TOI 16:01ES 3:11PK 5:17PP 56BkS 54GvA 30TkA 34Hits

Souray has the leadership, and has no problem dropping the gloves(not sure if thats a good or bad thing)
I don't klnow how I'm supposed to link to the 300 people I know that wanted Hemsky over Souray. I'm suer previous threads could be dug up highlighting how even last year many Edmonton fans were disappointed with Horcoff over Hemsky. I know you're in Stony Plain, but could you provide a link to people you know saying Souray over Hemsky?

Everybody I personally know (coworkers included) were disappointed Hemsky wasn't selected again. Based on points and abilities Hemsky has proven himself to be one of the best RW playmakers in the league. Souray is a great d-man, but the West is strong in d-men so Souray was by no way a shoe-in for the all star game. One d-man in amongst a field saturated with defense verse a RW who is one of the most dynamic playmakers in the West.

It's a matter of opinion which is why I said MANY instead of all. Very key word there.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Bohemian93

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
And I don't see why Montreal would want Souray.
hes a good pp qaurterback but i dont agree vwith this because souray alreday left montreal unlikely hell go back

Bohemian93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo4VP View Post
No doubt. And I am a Nucks fan.

Defenseman like Markov aren't what teams need come playoff time. Markov is in the same category as Kaberle,Streit,Boyle,Visnovsky,Campbell etc,. All small guys who are terrific offensively and through the transition game. But unless your name is Lidstrom,Niedermayer or Zubov.....you will get owned in the PO's. People lay everything on the line at that time. And seeing from what happened with Campbell,Streit and Markov in last year's playoffs, I think it's safe to say they aren't the answer.

Defenders like Pronger,Chara,Phaneuf,Regehr,Weber,Souray are cash in the post-season. They all battle very hard, play tough as nails, fight,hit, lead....you name it. Grit and heart is what you can expect from these guys, not guys listed above.

I believe the only exception to this rule is Kimmo Timonen, and even then, I saw him struggle in the first round last year against the Caps.

I don't think you can compare Streit to Markov - and that comes from an Islander fan who spent several days defending Streit on the Habs board.

Streit, on his best night, does not have Markov's defensive reads, positioning, and overall smarts in his own zone. I don't think Campbell, Boyle, or Vish do either (although they are all superb talents).

I also think it is a mistake to assume that a finese-oriented player won't step up and play through the rough stuff in tough playoff contests.

01-11-2009, 12:43 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac12 View Post
Bringing back the old....I want Souray and or Streit Back!!!

To get Souray:
Montreal gets - Souray, and '09 2nd
Edmonton gets - Latendresse, O'Byrne, and D'Agostini

OR

Montreal gets - Souray, Eberle, and '09 2nd
Edmonton gets - Latendresse, O'Byrne, D'Agostini, and Higgins

Analysis: 1st trade giving the fact that Souray is 32 years of age and the three players that Habs are trading are young roster players.
2nd trade I now have a man-crush on Eberle after seeing him in the World Juniors so i feel him and a 2nd is equal to Higgins.

To get Streit:
Montreal gets - Streit
New York gets - 1st '10, 2nd '09 and Pavel Valentenko

Analysis: The Islanders are clearly about to clean house and Streit being 31 years old i feel he could be one to be traded at the deadline, and a 1st, 2nd and a defensive prospect seems to be a very good pick up for Mark.

Thoughts and any counter offers??????
Souray was a negative player when he was here, at that contract why would we want him back? Three more years left with cap set to go down in 2 years. The team was a better team after he left back in '07.

Kuba with Higgins involved would be something more looking into. We have to move Bouillon in this deal to make caproom work. Would like a little something back where Kuba is UFA and Higgins is RFA.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Luongo4VP

Zdeno Chara was a combined -60 in four seasons with the Islanders, as soon as he went to OTT he was a machine. Look at where he is now, a Top-5 defenseman in the league.

Sheldon Souray was a combined -44 in 6 seasons with the Canadiens, and he is a Rock-solid defenseman this year with the Oilers. He has easily been a Top-10 defenseman this year.

Has anybody ever concluded that some players just don't fit in with other teams' systems? +/- is a horrid stat to determine a players value, just take a look at these two.

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Zdeno Chara was a combined -60 in four seasons with the Islanders, as soon as he went to OTT he was a machine. Look at where he is now, a Top-5 defenseman in the league.

Sheldon Souray was a combined -44 in 6 seasons with the Canadiens, and he is a Rock-solid defenseman this year with the Oilers. He has easily been a Top-10 defenseman this year.

Has anybody ever concluded that some players just don't fit in with other teams' systems? +/- is a horrid stat to determine a players value, just take a look at these two.
Good post. In the case of a player on a lousy team, +/- is especially meaningless.

One other thing to add with Chara/Souray: both are also older and wiser. In particular, Chara was a newbie at the time he was with NYI. For dmen especially, experience is gold.

Trottier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Saw Jiris Tlusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
This comment coming from a fan of Letang

I forgot, A D-man's true value is measured in the shootout
He was talking about the proposals, and I think fanbases of both teams can agree that they indeed are.

Saw Jiris Tlusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:50 PM
GNick42

Quote:

No, Montreal wouldn't be interested in acquiring Souray back. He's injury prone, has a big contract and was terrible defensively. He was here for 7 years.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:44 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I don't think they are the same value wise - and this come from somebody who likes Souray's game. Markov is a lot more effective over all - he is faster, sees the ice much better, and is far less likely to get toasted from the outside by some opposing forward.

Souray has a better shot, and is much more gritty and physical.

Put it this way, Souray without his offense, would not be much more than a #4 dman.
Markov, without his offense, would still be a solid #2 on many teams.
I agree entirely with the bolded part Souray defensively speaking is like your run of the mill physical 4th defense man, but offensively speaking the guy is definetly one of the best defensemen in the league particularly on the PP, with his cannon of a shot. People who say Souray is poor defensively don't have a clue the guys defensive game lags behind his offensive game, but it's still quite solid if his defensive game was on par with his offensive he'd be up their with the Prongers and Lidstroms of the league, but it's a step below that so he's a step down from them. Defensively speaking he's about as good as Brendan Witt or the Jason Smith (of old), but he has a very good offensive game on top of that making him a pretty special player though not quite in that upper echelon of defensemen.

FacelessButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:46 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
As a Habs fan, I'm happy with both gone.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 06:49 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by supeg93 View Post
I take Souray the way he is playing this year over Markov 100% of the time.

lmao @ this post, so hard i popped my hemorrhoids back out..chit !!!

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:20 PM
bleuetbio

Quote:
Originally Posted by supeg93 View Post
Um Hell no. You want Souray, who is monster for us, then we are only going to be working with Price.

I also think its funny how you think Higgins=Eberle in trade value.

Not a chance homer.
I have fun too Of course Higgins is better right now. We will see how good will Eberle will become, but Jordan still just a 22nd overall.

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote