HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Vincent Lecavalier Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Le Gros Bill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.

If Vinny wasn't saddled by his massive 11-year contract I'd jump on it. Even then, I might still do it; the good part of said ridiculous 11-year contract is that you're getting a 9-million player for a 7.7 million cap hit, at least so long as he is worth 9 million. I'm a big fan of Higgins and Pleky but we have the depth to cover Higgins' loss on the wings and as good as Pleks is Vinny is a massive upgrade.

Too bad it's such a complete and utter pipe dream.
If Vancouver was willing to pay $10 million a season to Sundin and Crosby is worth (according to the deal he signed) $8.7 million a season, Vinny at $7.7 million is fair to me.

He's 28-29 now, and another 10 years would be fine by me. And he's certainly not Rick DiPietro!

Old
01-11-2009, 09:03 PM
clarke19

Dreger said there was 4 roster players involved.

Who else would go?

Old
01-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Forget about it, Vinny in Montreal would be eaten alive if he doesn't have 100 pts seasons every year. He's a legit number 1 center,but I'm not sure that he can keep up with the pressure day in day out.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:05 PM
OneSharpMarble

Don't want Lecavalier, especially if it means we lose all the pieces we waited so long to build. Let him rot in Tampa, I don't give a damn.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Amputechture

I don't want to part ways with Subban. I like this kid way too much. Plus he's a huge Habs fan and WANTS to play here.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarnicky View Post
Montreal does NOT need Vinny at all. He does not have any canadian loyalty anyway. Screw him. And screw his ridiculous contract.

Montreal has some AWESOME prospects. Subban, Fischer and McDonagh will be NHL top pairing D-men. Why even think of dumping them for Mr. USA.
Montreal may not need Vinny at all cost but getting him would put us over the top. And while the three guys you mentionned are interesting prospects , they are not in the Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/Kane ect league and would therefore be expendable for a bonafide proven 40+goals/90+pts superstar entering his prime.

The only risk is his contract. I don't like it but i'd probably still take a chance anyway but that's just me.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
I don't want to part ways with Subban. I like this kid way too much. Plus he's a huge Habs fan and WANTS to play here.
You send Subban to Tampa and he becomes a Bruins fan.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:07 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Gros Bill View Post
If Vancouver was willing to pay $10 million a season to Sundin and Crosby is worth (according to the deal he signed) $8.7 million a season, Vinny at $7.7 million is fair to me.

He's 28-29 now, and another 10 years would be fine by me. And he's certainly not Rick DiPietro!
He'll be elite for maybe 5 more years. Then you're paying 7.7M a year for an aging player. It would be a dumb move, especially since the cap might go down.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
Dreger said there was 4 roster players involved.

Who else would go?
Tanguay is my guess.

Would fit cap space wise

Old
01-11-2009, 09:08 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post
That's one ****ed up lineup Imagine Vinny at the point with Markov With that trade we would solve 2 problems: big center and PP point shot. Won't happen anyway, but thinking about it is very near masturbation.
That line up is impossible as Montreal will have to give up MaxPac and other prospects and deraft picks for Vinny. If he is traded.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:11 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges St Laraque View Post
The only risk is his contract. I don't like it but i'd probably still take a chance anyway but that's just me.
Make the trade, go for a serious cup run this year. Win the cup. Then his NTC applies July 1st so trade him before that (or after if he waves it) to the Panthers for Horton+ so he can be back closer to home and we can still get quality players for him before his contract eats us alive down the road. Oh, then I wake up next to Angelina Jolie.

Old
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Me too, still I wouldn't sign anyone for 10 millions, except Ovy.
I'd take Crosby and Malkin at 10 millions as well but that's just me

Old
Maitz
Chucky#27

peoples haven't learn with all that false hope with Vinny !?

Old
01-11-2009, 09:12 PM
habman6

Lecavalier probably doesnt want to play for Montreal just as much as Tanguay didnt want to...

Old
01-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
It would kill me to part with Subban. Subban plays with a heart of a lion. He just cares so much about winning and he's a Habs fan to boot.

Lecavalier would be a huge addition but I just don't like the idea of giving up so much for a player who doesn't want to be here.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Gros Bill View Post
Well, Darren Dreger just said on the NHL on TSN that

1) There is some debate within the Lightning's front office on whether to deal Lecavalier.
2) There has been dialogue between Bob Gainey and the Lightning, with a package that COULD include players like Higgins, Plekanec, Subban and draft picks
3) Vinny's agent Kent Hughes is off to Tampa to talk about such a possibility and whether the team is actually interested in trading him or not.

It should be a very interesting couple of months...
This is a good summary of the Dreger comments. Glad you emphasized the word COULD which covers the widely speculative aspect of the development and you've noted that there's some internal debate about whether VL is even available.

Dreger is arrogant and an ass at times, but at least to me he seemed quite dialed in to the Melrose situation before it developed earlier this season. He may have good TB relationships. And it's Gainey's job to kick those tires, this really should be no surprise here.

The Lecavalier trade dreams have been historically just that. Poorly thought out ideas lacking two key catalyst ingredients - a TB team motivated to trade VL and a Montreal team having the assets to make it a win-win for TB.

So... have the planets finally aligned? I am staying tuned.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Make the trade, go for a serious cup run this year. Win the cup. Then his NTC applies July 1st so trade him before that (or after if he waves it) to the Panthers for Horton+ so he can be back closer to home and we can still get quality players for him before his contract eats us alive down the road. Oh, then I wake up next to Angelina Jolie.
Florida's on the verge of bankruptcy. So you'd trade all those players and prospects for a run at the Cup this year (never a guarantee) and then Nathan Horton for the future?? That's gross!

Old
01-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by habman6 View Post
Lecavalier probably doesnt want to play for Montreal just as much as Tanguay didnt want to...
Or Laraque who wrote on his blog that he would never play for the Habs.

I don't think that we will ever see Vinny in a Habs uniform but those "he don't want to play here" arguments are exaggerated.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:17 PM
m00ks

You don't survive in this team and in this city on talent alone. Takes a special breed of players that thrive on the pressure and spotlight to be successful in this environment. You'd have to want it and Lecavalier doesn't. Move is risky on a lot of levels (cap issues, player response,..). I see this primarily as a gift to the french media hounds.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:19 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Florida's on the verge of bankruptcy. So you'd trade all those players and prospects for a run at the Cup this year (never a guarantee) and then Nathan Horton for the future?? That's gross!
(It was a joke... except the Angelina part )

Old
01-11-2009, 09:19 PM
HabsHockey

He can't come to Montreal, he can't wear number 4.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
I thought it would be over..... really.....

it will never end.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Sometimes in life you have to take chance.

Bob did when he traded Iginla for Nieuwendyk for a run at the cup at look how it turned out. I'm not saying that David99 proposal would be ideal but you get my point.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

And here I thought that when Lecavalier signed his last contract with Tampa, that it would be the end of those ridiculous rumours bringing him to Montreal. Crap!

Lecavalier had a couple of chances to sign with us and he didn't. Why in the blue hell would we want him here? We already have a contender in our hands with great prospects coming up. We have several UFA's to address this summer so does it make any sense to take on $7.7 million for such a long term?

Things just don't add up folks! It's not like Gainey.

Old
01-11-2009, 09:28 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges St Laraque View Post
Sometimes in life you have to take chance.

Bob did when he traded Iginla for Nieuwendyk for a run at the cup at look how it turned out. I'm not saying that David99 proposal would be ideal but you get my point.
It was just a joke. Everyone was complaining about his contract so I gave an example of how to get around it. Let's just say we traded Higgins, Plecks, Subban and draft picks as was reported (not that it would get it done) for Lecavalier. Go for a cup run this year. If we like him, keep him. If he's good but not worth the cap hit, especially down the road, trade him before his NTC kicks in this summer for something similar to what you gave for him. Or keep him for a couple years. I just mentioned Florida because his family is there and would be more likely to lift his NTC.

This of course would only be done on NHL 09.

Closed Thread