HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Concussions

Old
01-05-2009, 04:41 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Concussions

So I'm coming back tonight from my 3rd concussion in 2 years. Second one was because I came back too early from my first though.

Out of curiousity, how many have you had (that you know of, and think you may have had)? I'm curious where I stand amongst others.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Red Dragon

I have had a minor one, wasn't even bad just don't remember a span of a minute or so. Don't wear a mouth guard though.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:43 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
I have had a minor one, wasn't even bad just don't remember a span of a minute or so. Don't wear a mouth guard though.
I see you caught my avatar. Apparently wearing one helps. After my first 2 I didn't care but after the 3rd that's enough for me to give it a try.

Old
01-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I see you caught my avatar. Apparently wearing one helps. After my first 2 I didn't care but after the 3rd that's enough for me to give it a try.
Strange as it seems, the mouthguard is more about concussions than teeth. A lot of the damage from an impact is when your jaw slams together sending the impact into your skull. The mouthguard cushions that impact significantly.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:51 PM
MikeD

another product that would help would be a maltese gel interior for your helmet. The gel attenuates the impact energy. Drop an e-mail to phil@maltesehockey.com for more info. You can also PM Headcoach for info on the gel product for the players helmet. I dont put much faith in the mouthguards ability to prevent concussion. With its mandated wear one would assume since that time, there would have been significant reduction in the incident but the number(USA) has only increased.

As for where you stand....on the edge. One more major and your looking at never playing again and a high risk of permanent injury.

I believe I have had one mild in 40+ years of play (goalie) but since not going to a Doctor, I cant be sure.

Last edited by MikeD: 01-05-2009 at 07:00 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:25 PM
190Octane

I think mouth guards help significantly if it's the right mouth guard. Also one thing to consider is that the number of concussions is probably higher because they are more reported now.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I dont put much faith in the mouthguards ability to prevent concussion. With its mandated wear one would assume since that time, there would have been significant reduction in the incident but the number(USA) has only increased.
There's lots of reasons that the reported number of concussions is up and it has nothing to do with mouth guards being ineffective, but, as stated earlier, with the way concussions are handled and reported. Mouth guards still help lessen impacts and help to prevent concussions just as helmets do. To say that the number of concussions has increased even with mandated wear is saying that wearing helmets is of no help since they are mandated by USAH. The corelation just isn't there to justify such a statement.

Old
01-07-2009, 08:37 PM
MikeD

You cant compare the helmet mandate and the mouth guard mandate. Its apples and oranges. My statement is nothing like your suggested alternate.

We(you and I) have been through this discussion too many times. You can keep with that line because its been spoon fed but in the field and in the lab its effectiveness in reducing the incident of Concussion is very limited, almost negligible, in regards to the sport of HOCKEY. It is more a play on parental fear as a sales ploy than an effective prevention. Can anyone provide study results as related to hockey or is it just a regurgitation of "he said/She said". Take a look at the patent reports in both US and Canadian Patent offices....those speak volumes in regards to the topic with whats NOT included with in the documents. Concussion reduction may be on the sales package but its not a POI for those who have secured patent.

The sad part about it is that the protection offered is limited to a very restricted type of impact that is sport specific to hockey yet guys like the OP will go out there thinking the thing will provide significant safety increase, related to concussion, over play with out one. The truth of the matter is that it is marginal protection in that regard and the players who have had multiple incidents should not be led into a false sense of security. Thier fully functioning life and future is still at great risk, even with the addition of even the best mouth guard.

Last edited by MikeD: 01-07-2009 at 08:46 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:16 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
One of the most commonly held myths in sports medicine is the premise that wearing a mouthguard will prevent concussion. The origins of this contention are obscure, but an evidence based review of the scientific support for this concept has not been previously published.
http://bjsm.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/35/2/81

Mike's absolutely right.

That said I've had 1, but I think I had a second, since it felt that way. Both occurred from blows to the back of the head. Once was playing football, and some ****** buried his face mask square in the side of my head, almost knocking me out cold. I threw up and couldn't walk on my own for a good 10 minutes afterward (The thew up part would have happened even if I wasn't hit, it was one of those mornings). My mother, a nurse, and a family friend, a Dr. checked me out and agreed I had one. The other one came from a wrestling match in HS when I got tripped up, snapped back, and went (back) head first into the mat. I blacked out for a split second and snapped back into it. The rest of the night was a little hazy. I don't remember much of both, didn't suffer much after however. Quick recovery from both too.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:48 AM
densetsu

I've had one mild one. Then again, that was while curling, not playing hockey. Slipped backwards and smashed the back of my bare head on the ice. The bruise swelled up so quickly and rapidly, in a matter of seconds the bruise popped the skin and blood was everywhere. Looked a lot worse than it actually was. Again, this is while curling.

I've always been on the fence with regards to mouthguards, but have never worn one. I might see a benefit of wearing one as a player (taking a shoulder to the chin, etc), but as a goalie behind a mask I don't see a lot of situations where a mouthguard would be beneficial.

I'd be interested to read any studies, especially studies I don't have to pay for a site membership to read.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:55 AM
devsfan4life

Ive had 2 from hockey.

One from getting hit from behind, and the other was from getting checked headfirst into the post.
The first one was worse because i threw up from it, the second one was minor.

devsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:36 AM
noobman

Mouthguards do help protect against concussions, as a hard jaw snap-shut can cause a mild concussion. That actually happened to a friend of mine who wasn't hit that hard in the head....

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 05:47 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
You cant compare the helmet mandate and the mouth guard mandate. Its apples and oranges. My statement is nothing like your suggested alternate.

We(you and I) have been through this discussion too many times.

Actually Mike, we have never had this discussion before. Not sure who you have me confused with but rest assured, it wasn't me.

Old
01-08-2009, 05:57 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
I can guarantee you that for every article you post against it, I can probably find two in support of mouthguards and lessening the impacts that cause concussions. It's obvious that nothing prevents the concussion, but the mouthguard helps lessen the impact just as the helmet does by spreading the force over a wider area and absorbing the shock to a lesser degree.

Old
01-11-2009, 10:11 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

It's kind of hard to prove if mouth guards do help. In theory it sounds correct, but, there's no way to rate if you have one. If you wear one and take a hit and don't get a concussion, what's to prove that you would definitely get one if you weren't wearing it? You can't, because each hit is different. They could do statistical studies saying that of all concussions x percent wasn't wearing mouth guards, but in the end, it's just stats and no science.

As for me, it can't hurt to wear one and protect the pearly whites anyway, so I started wearing one. Hasn't hindered my yelling on the ice, and just have to pull it out when I'm on the bench and talking.

Old
01-12-2009, 12:42 PM
supaman

I've had 2 in my life (that I know of). 1 minor one when I was younger, and 1 major one at the end of 07. The minor one went away and didn't really effect me at all. The major one I didn't think was that major at the time cause I didn't even know or have any symptoms until 2 weeks after. All I noticed was that I was a little off balance when I played and was letting in a few week goals. Then I saw the doctor for the headaches I was getting. Found out is was a concussion that ended up lasting until June.

How long ago was your last concussion?

supaman is offline   Reply With Quote