HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Vincent Lecavalier Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2009, 01:55 PM
gillyguzzler

vCash: 500
If the rumoured Vinny deal is real, I would do it in a heartbeat...

I like Plek but I think Kovy and MaxPac wouldn't mind Vinny replacing Plek.
I like Higgins but with the emergence of MaxPac and D'Ago, he's more replaceable than ever.
I like Subban but he's a couple of years away and we have many D prospects

Cap hit? He's only making 2M more than Tanguay. Don't resign Tanguay and Dandy next year and there you go, 7M for Vinny.

Old
01-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
BG said if he feels there's a position where his team needs improvement, it's on D. But you got the feeling he's still always open to improve his team in general.

With that statement, I doubt BG would trade any of our crucial Ds. So Markov/Komi/Hamr/Gorges are not going anywhere.
I'm skeptical about this whole situation in general. Just read my above post to see why it would make sense that Hammer is included.

Just my opinion though.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:00 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Subban is near NHL ready imo

Old
01-12-2009, 02:00 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
OK what dumb ass comment? Habs get a top scorer who is 28. We get a 34 yr old blue liner who costs $5.5mil. It wasnt meant as a dumbass comment. Look at if from a TB perspective.
You do realize that there is more then scoring.....he brings stability and great defensive play, something that the Bolts are sorely lacking.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:03 PM
SAKS AVENUE

Well boys, there are packages on the table. This seems more real then ever before. I tend to shy away from listening to Vinny rumors since they always seem to end in a "It was never going to happen to begin with anyway" type of resolution.......

BUT

It's not Eklund posting this crap. They are legit sources putting it on the fronts of their websites and even Spector is warming up to the idea of it being true. He always dogs the idea.

Well.....Habs Inside/out says there is a second package on the table as well as a possible return scenario. It's picking up steam and I'm getting excited. I hope it's not for nothing once again.

INSIDE/OUT

"Two rumored deals on the table for Vinny Lecavalier. The first one includes Christopher Higgins, Tomas Plekanec, P.K. Subban and a draft pick, for Lecavalier, and possibly Jussi Jokinen, Paul Ranger, or both. The second has Robert Lang, Chris Higgins, Ryan O'Byrne, and Kyle Chipchura, and a 2010 1st round pick, for Vinny, and once again, Jussi Jokinen, and/or Paul Ranger."

I would do both deals in a heartbeat, and consider the second one a steal. As sad as it would be to trade Pleks and Higgins.....I could definitely learn to live with it.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins 21 View Post
I'm skeptical about this whole situation in general. Just read my above post to see why it would make sense that Hammer is included.

Just my opinion though.
I know cap wise it makes sense, but that's the only reason. We could say the same about Markov and any player with a high cap hit on our team.

But other than that, it makes zero sense.

You don't make a trade that will help you and hurt you at the same time. Losing Hamrlik would be incredibly bad.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Tackleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
If the rumoured Vinny deal is real, I would do it in a heartbeat...

I like Plek but I think Kovy and MaxPac wouldn't mind Vinny replacing Plek.
I like Higgins but with the emergence of MaxPac and D'Ago, he's more replaceable than ever.
I like Subban but he's a couple of years away and we have many D prospects

Cap hit? He's only making 2M more than Tanguay. Don't resign Tanguay and Dandy next year and there you go, 7M for Vinny.

Hmmm, interesting offer.
But, TB needs top shelf blue liners. Not just one but several. TB doesnt need a package with several forwards. IF I WERE GM, I would ask for Markov, Komisarek, Gorges, and Plecky and 1st rd draft pick in 2009.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Peacock

This is exciting but I'm pretty skeptical.

It seems like every year we're going to get Vinny at some point and it never happens. So I wont believe anything until I see it =P

Old
01-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Tackleberry

Just to keep in mind that TB has about $6.9mil in available cap space right now.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
This is exciting but I'm pretty skeptical.

It seems like every year we're going to get Vinny at some point and it never happens. So I wont believe anything until I see it =P
The question is:

Is this the year?

Old
01-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I know cap wise it makes sense, but that's the only reason. We could say the same about Markov and any player with a high cap hit on our team.

But other than that, it makes zero sense.

You don't make a trade that will help you and hurt you at the same time. Losing Hamrlik would be incredibly bad.
I agree with you completely. What I'm saying is that Tampa would probably want a reliable defenseman in the return that could play now, and I highly doubt Montreal deals Markov or Komi.

That being said, I could see Hamrlik going the other way if Gainey wants Lecavalier that badly.

It's all speculation though...

Old
01-12-2009, 02:08 PM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting offer.
But, TB needs top shelf blue liners. Not just one but several. TB doesnt need a package with several forwards. IF I WERE GM, I would ask for Markov, Komisarek, Gorges, and Plecky and 1st rd draft pick in 2009.
ouch ouch ouch !!!!

If we lose those 3 D we are doomed... being Sens #2.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:09 PM
lxzred

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting offer.
Really only one thing to say to that, LOL
Come on, 3 top 4 Dmen And a #1/2 center?
Is this not even for a young lemieux

Old
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting offer.
Would you provide the broom for the reaming at least?

Markov, Komisarek and Gorges. You want a team to give up 3 of its top 4 defensemen? Has that happened ever in the history of the NHL?

Old
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Hmmm, interesting offer.
And if I were the other GM I'd hang up the phone immediately. Lecavalier is a great player, but that trade would leave us with the worst defense in the NHL. Good luck getting that kind of return for someone with such a bloated contract anyways.

I don't think we're going to get Vinny, but if we do it's to add to the team we've already got, not to start another rebuild around him.

Old
SAKS AVENUE

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting offer.

and you would probably not get a phone call back. Gainey would never ever make that deal, that would be suicide. That would also allow us to trade places with Tampa in the standings. NO THANKS!

Old
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting offer.
You'd want our three of our four best defensemen in one trade?

No way that would ever happen, we'd come out of it looking like the Senators.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:11 PM
couz

Markov's value although inferior isn't that far off of Lecavalier's value.

Markov was 4rth in norris trophy voting last year.

Old
googlymoogly

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting offer.
So you think our GM will trade away a center for a center then throw in three of our top 4 defensemen plus a 1st rounder? I wouldn't even do that for Ovechkin.

Old
Skrudland

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting offer.
You can't ask for 3 of a team's top 4 D and expect the other GM to seriously consider it. Especially if the only D you get back is Paul Ranger. And I like Paul Ranger.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Tackleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
And if I were the other GM I'd hang up the phone immediately. Lecavalier is a great player, but that trade would leave us with the worst defense in the NHL. Good luck getting that kind of return for someone with such a bloated contract anyways.

I don't think we're going to get Vinny, but if we do it's to add to the team we've already got, not to start another rebuild around him.
OK, what will you pay for a future Hall of Famer? What do you have on your farm team for blue liners? TB has Wishart. That is about it. Got to pay to get quality.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting offer.
Lollllll.
And you actually think you'd get that much??..There's not 1 team in this league that would offer them that much.

Do you realize you're asking for our Top2 Ds, on top of our 1st line centerman last year, and our 4th D that was a huge steal AND a 1st Rounder??...

lolll..what a ridiculous offer..Better yet, how about trading our 6Ds and 12Forwards..
You can't possibly be serious with that offer.

All this for a guy that has an 11year contract, that will be over paid next year considering he only broke the 80pts+ mark twice out of nine years.

This is wishful thinking from your part. Seriously I can't believe you'd actually think Vinny is worth that much. Nobody is, not even Malkin, nor Crosby, nor Ovechkin, nobody.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
Markov's value although inferior isn't that far off of Lecavalier's value.

Markov was 4rth in norris trophy voting last year.
Not only that but his contract is a pure steal at 5.75M for 2other years.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:16 PM
habdynasty

I heard Price, Latendresse, both Kostitsyns , Plekaneck and several draft picks for Vinnie..... lol

Old
01-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
OK, what will you pay for a future Hall of Famer? What do you have on your farm team for blue liners? TB has Wishart. That is about it. Got to pay to get quality.
Honestly, I'm not sure I'd give up very much. I think his contract is too heavy to justify giving up major pieces of our NHL roster for him, especially considering he doesn't even want to play for the Canadiens.

This team currently scores quite a few more goals than they give up and that's with an abysmal powerplay that has slowly been showing signs of life. To think that Gainey would decimate the defense to boost an already strong area is insane.

You're right, you have to give up good stuff to get good stuff and that's why I'm not really interested. If he wanted to play here, well he had his chance as a free agent. If he is traded, Tampa will not be dealing from a position of strength though, so you never know I guess.

Closed Thread