HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kukkonen waived

Old
01-12-2009, 02:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan1216 View Post
Did you just compare Lasse freaking Kukkonen to Patrick Sharp. WOW.

Kukkonen has gone through waivers twice and hasn't been TOUCHED. I cant believe the hardon some flyer fans have for this scrub.Not physical. No offensive game. He stinks. No other nhl team wants him. He'll be back in Europe soon enough.
No, I compared the assessment of the player, not the players themselves. Sharp wouldn't have 'asked' to be traded if Hitchcock didn't make him want one and claim that he couldn't win with him. And it's not a hard-on, it's an inference many people have made on this board, including the wildly-respected Bill Meltzer in the past. Nikolai Khabibulin passed through waivers, does he 'stink?' And there are teams who could actually use him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
there's a reason why Alberts is in the lineup and Kukkonen is on waivers. Alberts>>>Kukk's.
So were Modry and Vandermeer better than Kukkonen last year? Everyone else (who never watched Modry regularly) were so glad to be rid of Vandermeer they didn't realize/know how bad Modry was.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:25 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Thank God you don't run this team.
So basically you're saying that with Kukkonen in the lineup over Alberts we'd lose? Thank God I don't run the team? Because I would dress Kuks over Alberts? Yeah big game changer there.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:40 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
All it says is that other teams have their rosters and salary structures set and that it's not worth moving another piece to bring Kukkonen in. It says nothing about whether he belongs in this league.
At his salary it does, I think. I wonder how many teams out there can afford the extra pittance that Kukkonen gets paid. Most, I'd venture.

I don't think he sucks like some here assert but clearly he's not a fitting target of the adulation many here rain upon him.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Flyersfan1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
So basically you're saying that with Kukkonen in the lineup over Alberts we'd lose? T
What are you talking about ? I never said that. All I said is that Alberts is much better then Kukkonen.

Alberts > Kukkoblow

Flyersfan1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:51 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
At his salary it does, I think. I wonder how many teams out there can afford the extra pittance that Kukkonen gets paid. Most, I'd venture.

I don't think he sucks like some here assert but clearly he's not a fitting target of the adulation many here rain upon him.
They could afford it, but why displace someone they already have? If Kukkonen becomes available in the offseason I think he has a very good chance to be signed to a small deal as a 6th/7th defenseman if he wants to stay on this side of the pond. I don't think he's God either, but I certainly think he's a serviceable third pairing defender falling victim to the fact that the Flyers have quite the surplus of third pairing defenders.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Flyersfan1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
No, I compared the assessment of the player, not the players themselves. Sharp wouldn't have 'asked' to be traded if Hitchcock didn't make him want one and claim that he couldn't win with him. And it's not a hard-on, it's an inference many people have made on this board, including the wildly-respected Bill Meltzer in the past. Nikolai Khabibulin passed through waivers, does he 'stink?' And there are teams who could actually use him.

I think that Khabibulin's salary had something to do with him not being claimed.

Flyersfan1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 05:30 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
I think that Khabibulin's salary had something to do with him not being claimed.
Ah, so we see the light.

Old
01-12-2009, 05:55 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Bye Kuks, I get scared to death whenever he touched the puck. The guy really couldnt play. How were people defending him here? I dont feel like reading all these pages.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:27 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Yes, but it's comparable to the Kukkonen situation, still. I mean, Khabibulin only makes $5,875,000 more per year than Kukks.

Old
01-12-2009, 10:30 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
They could afford it, but why displace someone they already have?
Well a team woud only do that:

a) if Kukkonen was better than their 7th defenseman, and
b) if they could afford the $875,000 salary.

I am guessing that the latter was not a factor.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:10 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Does the fact that Kukkonen was waived suggest that the Flyers attempted to trade him, but didn't get any offers for him...not even a 7th round pick?

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Does the fact that Kukkonen was waived suggest that the Flyers attempted to trade him, but didn't get any offers for him...not even a 7th round pick?
Maybe they'd rather send a contract back instead. Any team holds leverage against the Flyers for whatever trade they're going to make. They've seen Kukkonen not get sent to the minors, so if stonewalling Holmgren means he has to move someone else for less out of necessity, it's certainly worth it for that said team. When you trade a draft pick or claim a player, you don't just get the player, but his contract too. How every much or little, it all adds up in the end.

People claim everyone in the league thinks he's useless and it shows how terrible be he is. Lo and behold, he's been waived twice and still remains on the Flyers roster.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:21 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Sure seems that way. And the notion that
his $875,000 salary is a factor here is pure Kukkophile pablum and laughable in the extreme.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
his $875,000 salary is a factor here is pure Kukkophile pablum and laughable in the extreme.
You're confusing "we think he's great" myth with the "we think he's not so much worse than Alberts and Jones" reality.

Old
01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Well a team woud only do that:

a) if Kukkonen was better than their 7th defenseman, and
b) if they could afford the $875,000 salary.

I am guessing that the latter was not a factor.
When the alternative is a $500k AHL callup, his salary actually is a factor. Being subject to waivers (as opposed to said AHL callup) would be one as well.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:39 PM
MsWoof

I don't think two many teams are going to be jumping at any players with the salary cap expected to come down and with so much uncertainty with the economy as it is. Too many teams are close to the salary cap while many others are in deep doo doo financially to do much of anything.

Don't forget, Kyle Wellwood was waived by the Canucks earlier this season and has turned out to be one of their best players. He's making under a million, too. Using the Khabibulin excuse that a player is too expensive doesn't always wash. There is a lot to factor in with every team these days.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Jeff

Is there any news or rumours about Kukkonen moving back to Europe in near future?

Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:51 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
When the alternative is a $500k AHL callup, his salary actually is a factor.
I don't think so.

But I would like to see how close teams are to the cap.

And, really, part of the whole point here is that if a $500,000 AHL callup is a real alternative to Lasse Kukkonen, then Lasee Kukkonen just ain't that good.

Old
01-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not quite sure what that means...and nor do you probably...but it's beautiful none the less.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:16 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
I'm not quite sure what that means...and nor do you probably...but it's beautiful none the less.
I think I know what it means , but my sentence structure has sucked of late.

Old
01-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
I don't think so.

But I would like to see how close teams are to the cap.

And, really, part of the whole point here is that if a $500,000 AHL callup is a real alternative to Lasse Kukkonen, then Lasee Kukkonen just ain't that good.
Kind of like Randy Jones, huh.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Paul Holmgren made a panic trade for Andrew Alberts, so it's apparent that outside of Parent, they don't see anyone on the Phantoms capable of even spot duty, which is an absolute joke in itself.

Old
01-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post

Yes lets drop the only veteran offensive forward we have in our everyday lineup. Its not like hes on pace for yet another 25-30 goal season. Experience means nothing anyway, lets bring up some 20 year old rookie with no experience that has potential but wont live up to it this year so when we get into the grind of the playoffs we can fall apart. But hey the quicker we lose in the playoffs the higher the pick...right?
Briere? Gagne? And at what point in time will guys like Richards, Carter, Hartnell and Lupul be considered veterans? I mean they've been around for 4 years now and they played a significant role on a team that went to the ECF. If you change the word "veteran" with "old guy", I might agree. But this team has more then enough leadership here to be able to sustain the loss of Knuble.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Mike Richards 18

i still cant believe no one was interested in Kukks in a trade or even to pick him up off waivers as well.

Still a shocker

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Briere? Gagne? And at what point in time will guys like Richards, Carter, Hartnell and Lupul be considered veterans? I mean they've been around for 4 years now and they played a significant role on a team that went to the ECF. If you change the word "veteran" with "old guy", I might agree. But this team has more then enough leadership here to be able to sustain the loss of Knuble.
Veteran experience is completely different from leadership.

Richards is a leader, NOT a veteran.

Carter is a very good player, NOT a veteran.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote