HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Check this video...

Old
01-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Titan124

vCash: 500
Lol @ people saying how a 9 year old is going to get knocked on his ass because of what he does in a shoot out. Ignore the stickhandling if you want, his skating is still the best I've seen from a 9 year old.

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:38 PM
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Here's a 10 year old doing the same thing...

Youtube is littered with young kids doing this. A lot more kids are practicing it these days, you see it a lot more. It's really not that hard to do is part of it- virtually every decent player can pick up the puck, and once you lift it doing those moves isn't that hard. Just takes a little practice.

Doing something like that in a game takes a whole lot more effort and skill. If you do it in a game, I'll be impressed. But for kids like that, I'm more impressed by things like this:

By the way, the kid in the second video is 8.
And who's to say that the kid in the original video can't do that or doesn't do that on a regular basis? How do we know he's not a great little player that listens to his coach, brings a great attitude to the rink every week and is a good teammate and friend to the players on his team?

All MikeD wanted to do was show a great move by a little kid during an intermission shootout.
And what happens? We have people challenging this kids skills, personality and calling him a hotdog.
We even get a hockey coach who would berate one of his players for attempting to do something like that.

I sure hope my son never runs into hockey 'fans' or coaches like you people.
Geez, a freakin child can't do anything without getting ripped for it.
You're the same kind of people that used to yell and belittle a young Wayne Gretzky because he scored too many goals or stole the spotlight on every team he was on.

P.S. I forgot to point out the obvious in the 8-year-old's video. He was cherry-picking! Where's the outrage!?!? Where's the amateur, volunteer coaches screaming about this? This was taken during game action so you can make the case that this kid doesn't listen to his coach, doesn't care about defense, and only cares for himself. Fire! Brimestone! HATE! ARGH!

Last edited by BogsDiamond: 01-05-2009 at 01:46 PM.
BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:09 PM
krax

Sorry, couldn't resist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXIaTT6qg80
#12 just turned 6 when the video was taken. Scores in last second in a U10 tournament.

The nine y.o. from the original video is a real good skater and stickhandler. Wow!

Last edited by krax: 01-05-2009 at 03:21 PM.
krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:41 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolemitesP1mpHand View Post
And who's to say that the kid in the original video can't do that or doesn't do that on a regular basis? How do we know he's not a great little player that listens to his coach, brings a great attitude to the rink every week and is a good teammate and friend to the players on his team?

All MikeD wanted to do was show a great move by a little kid during an intermission shootout.
And what happens? We have people challenging this kids skills, personality and calling him a hotdog.
We even get a hockey coach who would berate one of his players for attempting to do something like that.

I sure hope my son never runs into hockey 'fans' or coaches like you people.
Geez, a freakin child can't do anything without getting ripped for it.
You're the same kind of people that used to yell and belittle a young Wayne Gretzky because he scored too many goals or stole the spotlight on every team he was on.

P.S. I forgot to point out the obvious in the 8-year-old's video. He was cherry-picking! Where's the outrage!?!? Where's the amateur, volunteer coaches screaming about this? This was taken during game action so you can make the case that this kid doesn't listen to his coach, doesn't care about defense, and only cares for himself. Fire! Brimestone! HATE! ARGH!
Overreact much?

All I'm saying is that it's not too impressive to me because
a. It's not during game action. Nobody is trying to take the puck away. He has all the time he wants. Do that in a game against other 9 year olds and it's amazing.

b. A lot of really young kids are learning that move. It's not uncommon these days. For something to be really amazing, it has to be somewhat of a rarity. Doing that in a game is a rarity. Doing it in an exhibition like an intermission game isn't. Nothing's on the line if it goes wrong.

Go to a youth hockey practice and ask if any of those kids know that move. You'll find it's a lot more common then you think it is.

As for the rest, I don't know about it. The kid could be the greatest player on his team, a prodigy, a great teammate, a hard backchecker and all that. I never claimed or meant to imply that he wasn't. But I refuse to be impressed by a hot dog move that isn't all that uncommon in practice situations.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:46 AM
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Overreact much?

All I'm saying is that it's not too impressive to me because
a. It's not during game action. Nobody is trying to take the puck away. He has all the time he wants. Do that in a game against other 9 year olds and it's amazing.

b. A lot of really young kids are learning that move. It's not uncommon these days. For something to be really amazing, it has to be somewhat of a rarity. Doing that in a game is a rarity. Doing it in an exhibition like an intermission game isn't. Nothing's on the line if it goes wrong.

Go to a youth hockey practice and ask if any of those kids know that move. You'll find it's a lot more common then you think it is.

As for the rest, I don't know about it. The kid could be the greatest player on his team, a prodigy, a great teammate, a hard backchecker and all that. I never claimed or meant to imply that he wasn't. But I refuse to be impressed by a hot dog move that isn't all that uncommon in practice situations.
Me overreact???? Look at your post.
Who cares if this isn't in game action. I know a lot of adults that can't do this move. And I really couldn't give two-craps and a **** if every 9-year old can do this move in practice.
This kid did it to perfection, in front of a live audience of a pro hockey game. Talk about pressure.

My whole point is this. Has our world degraded and become this cynical that we can't even enjoy a young kid executing a cool move without bashing or downplaying it.

You guys all need a life. This kid doesn't need to 'impress' anyone here. I'm sure he was thrilled he could pull that move off in front of his family and a number of audience members. It's more than 99.9% of the people here can say.

I would love to hear your reaction if this was your kid. Would you say "Big deal. I see 20 9-year-olds do that every weekend"? I highly doubt it.

BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
How about we leave the arguments about showboating and whatnot for when the kids at least start hitting puberty? It was a kid playing in the intermission of an NHL game having fun.
I agree. Kovalev is argueably the best stickhandler in the world. I bet he can do things that he would never try in a normal game situation as well.

I agree that's it's a waste of time while the kids could be learning better things. I always tell my kids that ice time is very limited. Try practing backhanding a shot post and in for five minutes instead of picking up the puck with your stick. The best way to do this is to encourage goals kids score by doing the right thing.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 03:56 PM
RedAce

Did someone say Kovalev?? Must see TV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM0L8jwppXU

RedAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 04:01 PM
RedAce

I hope Alex pulls off some of this stuff at the allstars skills comp.
Then you'll see kid's everywhere working on these kinds of tricks.

Better then wasting time dumping the puck into a corner and then chasing after it.

Last edited by RedAce: 01-12-2009 at 04:54 PM.
RedAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAce View Post
Did someone say Kovalev?? Must see TV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM0L8jwppXU
I'm more impressed with his hat.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote