Old
01-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
Congrats on the win, entertaining game.

But wasn't it Loui who scored the winner? Looking at the replay it looked like Loui sweeped it in and was about to celebrate when Daley starts celebrating and thus got credited with the goal.
Loui was off to the side with a Detroit player and Osgood...Nisky passed to Daley, Osgood made the save, and then Daley punched in the rebound in the crease. I thought the same until I just saw the NHL on the Fly replay.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Captain Awesome

vCash: 500
Yep I think Grossman is awesome. I really liked it in OT when he just took the puck up to the halfway line with Franzen of all people all over him and he dumps it. That was just great.

So many unlikely heroes tonight, you know it's just like a ton of flukes crashed together. Ott, Parrish from Barch of all things, Grossman, etc. Of course, on the other end there was Sydor... and on a goal or two Turco. Still, a pretty entertaining game and a great come from behind win.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I agree. I just miss totally disagreeing with you.

What happened to the good 'ole days of fights over wording of the new injury policy and Turco suckage vs. Defense suckage? One of us is getting soft .... and I'm not naming names ..... but they have the number 4 in their name.
I think Sydor has brought many of us together.

And hmm... should we fight about how Modano didn't show up at all tonight? Or that Richards has astoundingly white teeth? Could they be related, with the buck teeth and habit of only showing up when they feel like it being the only clue?

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Captain Awesome

On Modano's very first shift he went into the slot with the puck, I almost gasped. He must have gotten a taste of the contact and decided he didn't want any more. He made some nice passes, if he showed up he seriously might still be the best player on our team. At the very least the best shooter.

Is it just me or is Eriksson doing everything right and just not scoring right now? And Ribeiro seems like he's been snakebit all season, he gets these golden chances and seems to get robbed a lot.

Old
01-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
And Ribeiro seems like he's been snakebit all season, he gets these golden chances and seems to get robbed a lot.
Insert Ribeiro and/or Richards and it's the same for both.

First Nabokov, now Osgood.

Old
01-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Game Thread Notes -
This is the 2nd longest REGULAR SEASON game thread ever on the Stars board (second only to the Richards debut game thread).
This is also the 3rd longest game thread ever on the Stars boards (Richards debut game/game 1 vs San Jose).

Last edited by Stars99Lobo37: 01-12-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old
01-12-2009, 11:05 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
On Modano's very first shift he went into the slot with the puck, I almost gasped. He must have gotten a taste of the contact and decided he didn't want any more. He made some nice passes, if he showed up he seriously might still be the best player on our team. At the very least the best shooter.

Is it just me or is Eriksson doing everything right and just not scoring right now? And Ribeiro seems like he's been snakebit all season, he gets these golden chances and seems to get robbed a lot.
Ribeiro has been robbed because he's played a significant portion of the season with Ott, Parrish, Barch, Conner, or what ever bottom 6 grinder or misplaced AHLer you want to name.

The one thing I have realized though is that Lehtinen and Ribeiro don't have chemistry. We all believed they did, but he is just like Miettinen and Eriksson. They all fed off the magic that was Morrow and Ribeiro. The only time Ribeiro has looked good was with Neal and Brunnstrom. That guy needs to get healthy quick.

Ott and Modano played well together last year. Lehtinen and Modano have a career of kicking ass together. See where I'm going?

Lundqvist-Richards-Eriksson
Neal-Ribeiro-Brunnstrom
Ott-Modano-Lehtinen
Petersen-Sutherby-Wilson
Barch/Parrish

The world would be a better place.

Richards and Eriksson don’t seem like they can consistently take the pressure of the focus of the other teams checking. They’ve taken a step back with Brunnstrom out of the picture too.

Now, I’m in no way saying Brunnstrom is the reason for the mini-slide. He just balances the lines and makes Ribeiro more effective. I firmly believe that the Modano line I have could shutdown most teams best lines. Plus, either Richards or Ribeiro’s lines the way they are above could/should be productive every night. That 4th line is just gritty and defensively responsible, and Wilson and Petersen have shown they have the ability to score every once in a while.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:15 PM
BigG44

Furthermore, those lines set up nice for next year as well.

We haven't seen it yet, but I bet Neal would look amazing with Richards and Eriksson. Morrow returns to the rightfut and much needed spot next to Ribeiro. Neal slides up (down, sideways, whatever) to the Richards line.

Sawada slides right into the Wilson or Lehtinen spot. I believe it will be Wilson. He's played well lately, but the guy's 33/34. It'll be time next year to get Sawada in the mix.

I know I'm thinking far ahead, but I think that would be in the Stars best interest. Believe you can make the playoffs this year, but don't do anything to slow down the future.

Kritter – Anything to argue there?

Old
01-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I'd only (potentially) flip Ott and Neal, depending on the opponent and the need for a true checking line. Without Ott, that Ribeiro line doesn't have a puck-chaser in the offensive end or a good defensive forward. Morrow, obviously is the puck-chaser and the, er, good defensive effort forward when he's healthy. But since he's out for the year, I think Ott fits better there.

Neal and Modano have played very well together at times this year, and Lehtinen is a stabilizing force on both of them.

If you're looking at a PP unit, that's where Lehtinen and Neal replace Lundqvist and Ott on those top two lines.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:32 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Mind if I interject really quick to post this picture? No? Good.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:45 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadmata View Post

Awesome!

Niskanen's face is great, but Ott's best post game pick is still the stinky palm to Neal's face after the game winning SO goal.

Old
01-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadmata View Post

I so call that avatar if piq makes one out of it (the nisky face avatar).

Old
01-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Chad_

At present, Neal would look good on any line. He's really playing well and providing the type of play he's displayed earlier in his career, only at the NHL level now.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:53 PM
BigG44

Who can come up with the best caption?

Ott: "You see that lady in the stands? I totally had [relations] with her last night."

Niskanen: "That my Mom!!!"

Old
01-12-2009, 11:56 PM
catters078

First Televised game for the stars here in Australia and what a game to see!!!.

Boy, Nicklas Grossman is going to be some kind of player for dallas in the future..

He has that animal instinct..

-I think its funny the it took two hockey lessons care of Pavel Datsyuk to finally get the masseage through to tippett that we need to alter the niskanen-sydor pairing..I like Niskanen with Daley, Id like to see them for a while..

D pairings i think would work over the next 10 games..

Daley-Niskanen
Grossman-Hutchenson
Robidas-Sydor

its not perfect but i think they could work..it worked tonight...

-Dallas has a real shot to win at least 5 of the next 7 games...look at our stretch

Buffalo
LA
Tampa
Atlanta
florida
Columbus
Detroit

If we win 5 then we should be a playoff team by Feb...

-Finally I really liked Ott's game tonight..his kamikaze hussle was brilliant, i know hes hot an cold , but if he can consistatnly play like that..he is a big asset to our team...the best moment i felt was when he chase lidstrom down and avoided that icing call, only a small play, but add in the hits, steals and goal he converted, he was superb..

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Chad_

Along the same lines . . .

Niskanen: "I'm doing that one."
Ott: "I just wanted to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about.”

Old
01-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Captain Awesome

Whoever gets that avatar would complement my Neal Patrick Harris one perfectly. Also, Chad, Big44... lol.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:29 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
I found that pic in hi-res, avatar forthcoming

There's a joke in there somewhere about that story Versus ran during the intermission about the Special Olympics...

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:45 AM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Ribeiro has been robbed because he's played a significant portion of the season with Ott, Parrish, Barch, Conner, or what ever bottom 6 grinder or misplaced AHLer you want to name.

The one thing I have realized though is that Lehtinen and Ribeiro don't have chemistry. We all believed they did, but he is just like Miettinen and Eriksson. They all fed off the magic that was Morrow and Ribeiro. The only time Ribeiro has looked good was with Neal and Brunnstrom. That guy needs to get healthy quick.

Ott and Modano played well together last year. Lehtinen and Modano have a career of kicking ass together. See where I'm going?

Lundqvist-Richards-Eriksson
Neal-Ribeiro-Brunnstrom
Ott-Modano-Lehtinen
Petersen-Sutherby-Wilson
Barch/Parrish

The world would be a better place.

Richards and Eriksson don’t seem like they can consistently take the pressure of the focus of the other teams checking. They’ve taken a step back with Brunnstrom out of the picture too.

Now, I’m in no way saying Brunnstrom is the reason for the mini-slide. He just balances the lines and makes Ribeiro more effective. I firmly believe that the Modano line I have could shutdown most teams best lines. Plus, either Richards or Ribeiro’s lines the way they are above could/should be productive every night. That 4th line is just gritty and defensively responsible, and Wilson and Petersen have shown they have the ability to score every once in a while.
I smell what you're stepping in. And I dare say I like it!

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:21 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

The Good:

Grossman with a heck of a game. Wow he bought it and I love when he gets aggressive skating the puck up and shooting. Do more of that please.

Parrish-Sutherby-Barch, dear god I can't believe I'm writing this but I liked them in the Phoenix game and wished Tippet had given them more shifts and I really liked them in this game. It's not pretty but they bang, hound and generally keep the other team in their zone. They even create chances. They deserve to keep playing and deserve an extra shift or two when they are on like tonight.

James Neal is the man. He was awesome.

Trevor Daley once again shows he really does have good offensive instincts. It doesn't always result in a scoring chance but he really adds an extra dimension to our rush and transition when the puck is on his stick or when he joins in the play. More of that please. Maybe some of it will rub off on Niskanen and Grossman.

The Bad:

I have no words to describe how horrific Sydor was. Please dear hockey gods can he finally be benched? What more is it going to take? Sydor made baby Jesus cry on those Datsyuk goals. He and Niskanen should not be killing penalties and he should never be on the ice during a power play. I've never seen anyone telegraph their shot more.

Turco. Yes at least twice the defense left him out to dry but two goals against were because he was out of position or just flat out didn't make the save. That game would never have gone to overtime had Turco been at least league average. Please Tippet stop cramming him down our throats. Dallas is picking up points despite him, not because of him.

Modano, have you forgotten how to play in the last two weeks? Does making the all star game excuse poor play and nightly turnovers? Mental errors and let's not forget a complete unwillingness to get his nose dirty in a corner or along the walls. I hold out no hope for Tippet to bench anyone besides the kids but he should bench you a time or two. Maybe it will light a fire in your hockey soul.

The Ugly:

I know Ott scored but why is he out on the powerplay instead of Lundqvist? Joel has better hands.

The powerplay came darn close to blowing this game again. How can we continue to be this bad? Please Brunnstrom get healthy soon.

Sydor and Niskanen as a defensive pairing killing penalties. No more. Enough is enough.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:36 AM
Chad_

Grossman jumped in on the offensive side of the blue line during the preseason, but quickly went back to previous ways once the losses started mounting.

Much has been written about Sydor, including by me, but the Stars are stuck with him this year and until he retires. He won't retire after this season, unless, God forbid, he gets a serious injury, so we should just get used to him being in the lineup at least for another season. Following the 2006-2007 season when the Stars didn't re-up him, I felt confident we wouldn't see him in a Stars jersey until he was applauded by the organization, if then. However, he made a big stink over it and Modano made a minor one in the press (imagine what he said behind closed doors [memo to Michael Young: some things should stay behind closed doors]).

It's highly unlikely the Stars will risk looking like they are dumping on him again, and despite what should be painfully obvious to anyone who has watched him play at least the last three seasons in that his skills have deteriorated below the standards of the NHL's fast or faster paced game, he'll be a Dallas Star and, potentially, impede the progress of Fistric, Vishnevskiy or any other current young blueliner the team has if there is another needed acquisition in the blue line this offseason. No, it doesn't make me happy, but that's the way it is.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:07 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Chad,

Doesn't Sydor's contract expire at the end of this season? I thought that was one of the really bad things about the trade at the time. Why was Dallas trading defenseman with the same darn contract and taking the worst one? I can't imagine Jackson offering him another year. I also really, really hope Sydor sees the light and decides to hang them up. It has become beyond embarrassing.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:30 AM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Much has been written about Sydor, including by me, but the Stars are stuck with him this year and until he retires. He won't retire after this season, unless, God forbid, he gets a serious injury, so we should just get used to him being in the lineup at least for another season. Following the 2006-2007 season when the Stars didn't re-up him, I felt confident we wouldn't see him in a Stars jersey until he was applauded by the organization, if then. However, he made a big stink over it and Modano made a minor one in the press (imagine what he said behind closed doors [memo to Michael Young: some things should stay behind closed doors]).

It's highly unlikely the Stars will risk looking like they are dumping on him again, and despite what should be painfully obvious to anyone who has watched him play at least the last three seasons in that his skills have deteriorated below the standards of the NHL's fast or faster paced game, he'll be a Dallas Star and, potentially, impede the progress of Fistric, Vishnevskiy or any other current young blueliner the team has if there is another needed acquisition in the blue line this offseason. No, it doesn't make me happy, but that's the way it is.
Let's tap the brakes just a bit on Sydor. He got undressed twice by Pavel Datsyuk tonight, but Pavel Datsyuk does that to a lot of NHL defensemen. I watched the Ducks, Sharks, Devils and Wings games all in person (first time in a looooong time ...) and my impression from Sydor in all 4 games was the same, "he's just a guy at this point ... not that good, not that bad, just a guy." Sydor's history with the organization, his Cup rings and his combativeness all -- in my estimation -- help make him attractive as a cagey vet to mix in with all our defensive youth. Now, obviously, none of that matters if he can't play, and I don't have any evidence to suggest to you that he can, other than to say that's not what I've seen the last couple weeks.

We went into this season with Zubov, Robidas, Daley, Boucher(Sydor), Niskanen and Grossman, a very nice group of 6, with the Janik's and whoevers sitting on the periphery. Zubov's injury has exposed everybody but Robidas in my estimation -- people are being asked to do more than they're maybe capable of. Niskanen in particular hasn't looked as good this year without Zubov as he did last year with him. We'll either get Zubov back next season or we'll get his $5m back; either way, Robidas and Daley won't be our 1/2. If Sydor's back next season, he'll be a 6/7D, which is probably where he belongs at this point. He hasn't been nearly as bad as some of the appraisals I've been reading on here; he's maybe been overmatched at times, but look at that Stars lockerroom this season and show me someone who hasn't.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 06:32 AM
DarkReign

That game was more along the line of what I was expecting last week.

Highly entertaining game to watch if you had no preference for a winner. I bash Ott for last game and then what happens? Seems to go that way...

Anyway, Dallas played an inspired game and someone mentioned it and I agree, Dallas won that game in spite of Turco. He was horribly out of position on nearly every shot that came his way. His defense bailed him out constantly on the loose pucks in the blue.

But that doesnt diminish Dallas' intensity from the second period on. Really took it to the Wings in all facets of the game which led to PP after PP (save for the Riberio dive, but thems the brakes).

Grats on the win.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:50 AM
FissionFire

Great win guys. Detroit didn't seem interested in competing after the first period and like good teams do, you guys took advantage and blitzed us. I'm amazed we even made it to OT honestly. Outstanding game by Dallas, and on national TV no less. Been a long time since Detroit's had it handed to them like that. This is why all the forum experts and wannabe analysts who are writing Dallas off are crazy. Sure you've got injuries. Sure some players have struggled. But this is a team who was in the conference finals last year and they know what it takes and I have no doubt that they'll be scaring the crap outta some high seeded team when the playoffs roll around.

And a different note, who the heck is Mike Heika and did he take a puck to the head? His three star choices for Dallas were pretty odd. Robidas 1st star over Daley? Barch who didn't even play 5:00 and was one of only two Stars not to even record a shot as a 3rd star over Grossman or Richards or Ott? Maybe I was watching a different game than he was.....

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote