HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Vincent Lecavalier Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2009, 01:56 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tollb2 View Post
.. Habs fan's reaction every year in the past when UFA's are supposed to be rummored to sighn here .............
and then dont ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV30Vd_CYqk
Wow man..that's just mean.
How could you possibly think it would be funny to that to your kid?..Unless you truly bought one and just took it out as a little prank for the cam.

If not, I'd slap that mom.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road for the 25th View Post
I have been thinking the exact same thing for Gorges... Chemistry is huge, and even though Higgins might be traded, we all know this will affect Komisarek. Sure, it's part of the game, you get traded and it happens, but the last thing you want is to mess up the chemistry by sending both Higgins and Gorges away...
Gorges..Komi..Price..Higgins..Chipper and O'Byrne are all good friends.
It's not because they're friends that they will finish their career on the same team.

This is a business, and they know it's all part of the game.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:58 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalevDeke View Post
If we trade for Vinny, it's 100 % sure they want a center in return ...

Plekanec (26) + Higgins (25) + Chipchura (22) + Jaroslav Halak (23) + 2 First Round Pick

VS

Lecavalier + Kolzig
Could also see McDonagh and/or O'Byrne added, but that's a pretty legit deal...

I just hope we can keep Subban.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:00 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Madsen View Post
Pretty bad. I hated getting socks, but getting pants in an Xbox Box is about as low as you can get. The jerk laughing in the background needs a punch. Got to give it to the kid, he looks like this is pretty normal for his family and he takes it in stride, not like some yuppy suburban kids that expect a car on graduation and get pissed because it is a corolla instead of a mustang.
Wow, I understand what the parents were doing, but how big of a ****** can you be? Get the kid's hopes up to crush them? Pretty evil, esp for parents. Its things like that that turn kids into arsonists.

On another note, Lecavalier is seriously considering going to MTL, so wether or not he wants to be here, will be answered by him. And I don't believe Gorges or Subban will be dealt. I believe that it will be Pleks, Higgins, McDonnagh, a first in 2010, 2011, and maybe a 2nd in this years draft. Something like that. After PK's performance, we would be a fool to part ways with him.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:02 AM
lou4gehrig

From Tampa newspaper:

Lawton says: Vinny not untouchable (1/12/09)
http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/...-vinny-is.html

Old
01-13-2009, 02:03 AM
KovalevDeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Could also see McDonagh and/or O'Byrne added, but that's a pretty legit deal...

I just hope we can keep Subban.
yeah me too , Subban is not only great hockey wise but I want to hear is interview as a hab ... Best character guy ever

Old
01-13-2009, 02:10 AM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccrecords View Post
I only believe Eklund
The Fourth Period says the Lightning called the Habs....

and that the trade is still on the table....

Old
01-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
The Fourth Period says the Lightning called the Habs....

and that the trade is still on the table....
TFP don't have any sources, they report what journals/sports sites/channels say.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:13 AM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
TFP don't have any sources, they report what journals/sports sites/channels say.
I know...just poking fun at Eklund type sites.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:17 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Wow man..that's just mean.
How could you possibly think it would be funny to that to your kid?..Unless you truly bought one and just took it out as a little prank for the cam.

If not, I'd slap that mom.
I agree. That's just wrong..

Old
01-13-2009, 02:19 AM
Doc McKenna

I don't see how everyone is so sure we will be drafting great for years to come to compensate for Lecavs 7.7 million when we will be dealing 2 1st round picks AND we may lose timmins as they think he has the stuff to be a great GM. So take this into consideration.

Gone timmins=crappier drafting, lost 2 1st rounders, Gorges gone and problems replacing him in the future with Subban or McD traded.
In 2 Years we will be so handcuffed between Komi(who some said as recent as last week is worth 6 million) price and trying to keep guys like Kovy, Saku Tang Lang etc. If Lats has a knockout season next year what do you think that will costs us.
So lets assume komi gets an ok contract as does price next year, we can assume we keep saku at a discount of say 4.3 million. That means our 1/2 centres cost 12 million while our 3 D plus price cost 21 million 5 player and our starting goalie and we ar at 33 million in what is expected to be a cap of maybe 51 million if the economy tanks not even that bad.
We will lose 2 first rounder and maybe not draft well because of no timmins.
Then you got andrei (already3.2) chips(RFA this year) sergei, lats laps dags patches all getting raises How do you do it when you have only 18 million to fill 17 roster spots and we already know AK46 is 3.2 of that so about 14.8 million for 16 spots. No more kovalev and our D would be webber carle and o'byrne? Lang gone, tang gone. What the hell kinda support does Lecav have at this point? We are now worse than the situation in pitts or Ott or even Tampa as they will have all our players.

Vinnie is not worth it, esp when you project to 11 years out that 7.7 million.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:37 AM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Madsen View Post
In 2 Years we will be so handcuffed between Komi(who some said as recent as last week is worth 6 million) price and trying to keep guys like Kovy, Saku Tang Lang etc. If Lats has a knockout season next year what do you think that will costs us.

If we get Vinny, we're not keeping Koivu AND Kovalev AND Tanguay. In fact I bet we let Kovafloat and Tanguayfloat leave. As for Lang, he's already ancient. He's not playing here at 40 with Koivu and Vinny here.

True, if every player starts blowing up and becoming great (Lats, MaxPac, A Kost, S Kost, Jesus) then we'll have to pay them. But it's what happens. You pay your core (Vinny, Markov, Komi, Price) and fill in the rest each year and try to win a cup.

Look at Detroit. They Won a cup, then signed Hossa to one year deal, but then had to let Quincey go for nothing. Now this offseason they'll lose Hossa and barely have enough for Zetterberg.

You can't always keep asking "what if tomorrow". Sometimes you have to commit to a core and go for the cup 100% full force.

Yeah, we can sit back and keep collecting assets. But honestly Timmins and Gainey have been collecting assets for this reason. To build a solid young team and then have trade chips to acquire a superstar. If we just keep collecting and collecting, we'll never have more than a decent team with no superstars.

It's rare a franchise player becomes available, let alone a hometown hero. Look at the Sakics, Yzermans, Modanos, Sundins, Fedorov, Forsberg, Thornton, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, etc. type players. How often do they become available in their primes? Almost never.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:55 AM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Quote:
If Lecavalier thinks the rumors and speculation are bad now, wait till the Montreal native goes home for the Jan. 25 All-Star Game. As he said Monday, "I'm just glad we're in California and not Canada. I haven't even looked at the Internet."
Huh uh. Why do we even want him?

My feeling is he wants nothing to do with being here, and that if he comes here he'll be miserable and sink our beautiful ship.

Meanwhile he can continue to play with Matt Pettinger in his beautiful earthly paradise.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:58 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Huh uh. Why do we even want him?

My feeling is he wants nothing to do with being here, and that if he comes here he'll be miserable and sink our beautiful ship.
Thats not a boat! Its a Yacht!

Old
01-13-2009, 03:02 AM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
I would rather offer something like ; Higgings, Plekanec, Laraque, D'Agostini, O'Byrne, Weber, McDonagh and draft picks for Mikko Koivu, Brent Burns and Derek Boogaard than trade for Lecavalier

Old
01-13-2009, 03:07 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
I would rather offer something like ; Higgings, Plekanec, Laraque, D'Agostini, O'Byrne, Weber, McDonagh and draft picks for Mikko Koivu, Brent Burns and Derek Boogaard than trade for Lecavalier
That 3 way trade is pretty massive for 1 player. I think we'd get more then just Vinny

Old
01-13-2009, 03:30 AM
Max et Guillaume

he meant "rather do that trade instead of Lecavalier"... not, lets do trade 1, afterwards do trade 2...

Old
01-13-2009, 04:31 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Look at it this way:

Higgins - Has done NOTHING for us this season. Replacable.
Plekanec - Has produced very little, even though he is a fan favorite and a hard working player he is pretty soft.
Gorges / O'Byrne - I love Gorges but he is replacable, he has little offensive upside and is just another defensive dman. O'Byrne is less replacable (he's fkn HUGE) but played poorly this year.
1st rnd pick - It's a pick, if we win in the PO's for years to come, the picks will be late round picks

We're not giving up much...

Old
01-13-2009, 04:33 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
IF I'm Doug Risebrough, I say no to that. But I want to comment on who is likely to be moved.

Bob Gainey said in today's press conference that young players on the roster who have a chance to become regulars in the next three months will not be moved.

That basically means Pacioretty and d'Agostini and leaves Chipchura as a question mark. I also think that Josh Gorges is as close to untouchable as anyone can be. For SURE, he won't be a throw-in to a deal. The only way he's moved is if he is the key piece going the other way, and the player coming in is signed long-term. I say this because Bob stated at the PC that defence is his main concern. I can't see him weakening the very area he is concerned about unless the return is overwhelming.

Whether it's Mikko or Vinny, the Habs are going to have to send a centreman back the other way. We can't have 5 centremen in the lineup, when we're not not even including Chips. It won't be Saku Koivu in either case. I can't see Robert Lang being a great value to TB if their plan is to rebuild for the future, so he would have to be a throw in to a deal with a significant piece ALREADY going TB's way. Then it's a short-term salary equalizer and TB can let him walk after the season unless he takes a big haircut.

So we're left with Tomas Plekanec or Maxime Lapierre. I think Lapierre has more value to Montreal than to our trading partner. We can't play with only skilled offensive types; we need some grit, too. At the same time, the other team's management can't sell Lapierre as one of the main catches in the deal. Thus logically, Plekanec goes the other way.

Pleks isn't enough from the trading partner's standpoint though. Also, the Habs have a logjam at forward. Thus, the stars are aligned for another young forward to go the other way. I think they would prefer an established guy to someone like Chips, though if we HAD to throw Chips in, I would be ready to do it. But first a bigger piece. I think it has to be Higgins, unless TB (or Minny of course) would think highly enough of Latendresse to send over their best player for him and Pleks and chump change.

I won't go farther in analyzing a Minnesota trade, other than to say that others are free to do so starting with the base I outlined above (Pleks plus Higgins or Tender) and HOPE that Risebrough might bite.

A short-term salary dump should be included if we're dealing with TB. The two main choices are Lang and Tanguay. I think Kovalev HAS to stay until the Cup-seeking effort is over. He is our biggest offensive threat right now. Having him here, especially on a different line than Vinny, will divide the opponents' defensive coverage attention. And at the same time you don't dump your captain when your team is going well and you are trying to ADD and go over the top.

Between Lang and Tanguay, I would prefer to offer Tanguay. From a chemistry POV Lang is more important to our club right now, yet Tanguay probably has more market value and could allow us to get a Paul Ranger type of guy back in the deal (can be #5 or #6 D-man this year and represents depth since there are 3 UFAs on the Habs' blueline).

In any type of rebuildling deal for TB, we have to cough up a significant prospect. Ryan McDonaugh, the American-born defenceman who starred at the WJC might do the trick. Ben Maxwell could also give TB some talented upside. Ryan O'Byrne is available, and might fit in well in TB seeing as he is already quite well known there by both the in-crowd and the authorities. Basically, I would give TB the choice of ANY prospect other than d'Ago, Patches and PK.

Finally, TB will require a first-round pick, and it seems expected to give in to that, but I would want a third-rounder back.

So, to sum up:

To Tampa Bay:
Tomas Plekanec
Chris Higgins (or Guillaume Latendresse)
Alex Tanguay
Ryan McDonaugh (or any other prospect excluding Dago, Patches or PK)
First round draft pick 2010

To Montreal:
Vincent Lecavalier
Paul Ranger
3rd round draft pick 2010

Possible combos:
Lecavalier-d'Agostini-A.Kostitsyn
Lang-Kovalev-Pacioretty
Koivu-S.Kostitsyn-Latendresse (or Higgins)
Lapierre-Kostopoulos-Chipchura/Begin/Laraque

Komisarek-Markov
Gorges-Hamrlik
Ranger-Bouillon
..Brisebois

Once Dandy returns, Chips may have to go down

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 01-13-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Old
01-13-2009, 04:35 AM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkiness View Post
Look at it this way:

Higgins - Has done NOTHING for us this season. Replacable.
Plekanec - Has produced very little, even though he is a fan favorite and a hard working player he is pretty soft.
Gorges / O'Byrne - I love Gorges but he is replacable, he has little offensive upside and is just another defensive dman. O'Byrne is less replacable (he's fkn HUGE) but played poorly this year.
1st rnd pick - It's a pick, if we win in the PO's for years to come, the picks will be late round picks

We're not giving up much...
Only problem being that this package seems to be the bare minimum being tossed around for Vinny. It could be just as likely that the actual deal would be even steeper. If the package is Higgins, Plekanec, O'Byrne (Gorges is alot more valuable than he is at this point IMO) and a 1st...its gotta be made. But once you start adding extra picks, some prospects and maybe another roster player...that's when people start to get squeamish.

Old
01-13-2009, 04:49 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
Only problem being that this package seems to be the bare minimum being tossed around for Vinny. It could be just as likely that the actual deal would be even steeper. If the package is Higgins, Plekanec, O'Byrne (Gorges is alot more valuable than he is at this point IMO) and a 1st...its gotta be made. But once you start adding extra picks, some prospects and maybe another roster player...that's when people start to get squeamish.
Let's start off with Higgings, Plekanec, O'Byrne + 1st Rnd Pick

What did Hossa garner? Armstrong, Christensen, Esposito + 1st Rnd Pick

Hossa was a rental but LeCavs huge contract kinda counter-balances the rental aspect. Our proposed deal is ALREADY better than the Hossa deal.

If we were to tweak it a bit: Higgins, Plekanec, Subban + 1st Rnd Pick It would be an overwhelming trade but still a good one. You gotta give to get. And we're not giving much that we'll miss. I'd throw in D'Agostini if we can find a way to keep Higgins or Subban.

My point is that we won't have to give up A LOT, but expect Higgins and Pleks to be hotly discussed.

Old
01-13-2009, 05:14 AM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkiness View Post
Let's start off with Higgings, Plekanec, O'Byrne + 1st Rnd Pick

What did Hossa garner? Armstrong, Christensen, Esposito + 1st Rnd Pick

Hossa was a rental but LeCavs huge contract kinda counter-balances the rental aspect. Our proposed deal is ALREADY better than the Hossa deal.

If we were to tweak it a bit: Higgins, Plekanec, Subban + 1st Rnd Pick It would be an overwhelming trade but still a good one. You gotta give to get. And we're not giving much that we'll miss. I'd throw in D'Agostini if we can find a way to keep Higgins or Subban.

My point is that we won't have to give up A LOT, but expect Higgins and Pleks to be hotly discussed.
Higgins and Plecks are RFA's next year, basically your giving up 1 prospect here.

Tampa would want more, add some more prospects into the mix. We're talking about LeCavalier here who's under contract for 10, that's worth gold right now fr that type of player. But he'sstated so many times that he's never gonna play in Montreal, don't keep your hopes up.

Closed Thread