HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Vincent Lecavalier Thread - Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2009, 02:19 AM
  #1
Pr3Va1L
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Why would we want Vinny's contract?

Seriously?

Yeah, he's one of the top players today but his contract is horrible.


Like Tempa Bay realised they ****ed up so they want to deal that bad contract away before it starts...


Thoughts?

Pr3Va1L is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 02:34 AM
  #2
Tusk
Registered User
 
Tusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,651
vCash: 500
Because it comes with Vinny.

Tusk is online now  
Old
01-13-2009, 02:46 AM
  #3
Bumjoo Wang*
 
Bumjoo Wang*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Thoughts?
I think you should have posted in the All Vinny Lecavalier Rumours thread.

Bumjoo Wang* is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 04:09 AM
  #4
HabsHockey
Registered User
 
HabsHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Seriously?

Yeah, he's one of the top players today but his contract is horrible.


Like Tempa Bay realised they ****ed up so they want to deal that bad contract away before it starts...


Thoughts?
Not gonna happen?

HabsHockey is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:00 AM
  #5
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,571
vCash: 500
Gainey said Higgins could come back from injury and score alot of goals for us. And that PK could join our team someday. And Plek is getting hot again, and we might need scoring from him.

He said it's dangerous when a team can score from alot of different places (players).

la25ecoupe is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:10 AM
  #6
HabsHockey
Registered User
 
HabsHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
Gainey said Higgins could come back from injury and score alot of goals for us. And that PK could join our team someday. And Plek is getting hot again, and we might need scoring from him.

He said it's dangerous when a team can score from a lot of different places (players).
Hmmm, Gainey what are you trying to tell us?

HabsHockey is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:13 AM
  #7
drivefor25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Salary Cap not a problem

Hypothetically speaking - let's say the habs do get Vinnie ($7.7M) and resign Komi for $ 5.5 M - this would equate to $ 13.2 M for these two players.Remember that Tanguay ($5.2m), Lang ($ 4M), Dandelion ($ 1.8 M), Bouillon ($ 1.9 M) are all gone next year = Total of $12.9 M. This translates to Gainey trading Bouillon, Tanguay, Lang and Dandy for Vinnie and Komi - not a bad trade don"t you think?

drivefor25 is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:15 AM
  #8
MaKi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 500
I never really took any of this Vinny to Montreal **** seriously but this morning my girlfriend said she heard an audio clip of Bob Gainey talking about the possibility on CHOM.
Apparently he said something about Gorges and some other players, and he would be weighing the costs.

Is there actually something going on here for once? I mean usually there's no basis to Vinny trade talks, but is Gainey actually talking about it this time?

MaKi is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:18 AM
  #9
HabsHockey
Registered User
 
HabsHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,566
vCash: 500
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=594568

The thread right above you

HabsHockey is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:18 AM
  #10
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefor25 View Post
Hypothetically speaking - let's say the habs do get Vinnie ($7.7M) and resign Komi for $ 5.5 M - this would equate to $ 13.2 M for these two players.Remember that Tanguay ($5.2m), Lang ($ 4M), Dandelion ($ 1.8 M), Bouillon ($ 1.9 M) are all gone next year = Total of $12.9 M. This translates to Gainey trading Bouillon, Tanguay, Lang and Dandy for Vinnie and Komi - not a bad trade don"t you think?

Yes, but you've already lost 2-3 core players off the squad just ot get Vinny.

so hypothetically, is not resigning Tanquay, Lang plus potentially losing Pleky, Higgins, Subban, Georges worth Vinny and locking up 10 million for the next 10 years on one player worth it?

Not in my book...

nyhabsfan is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:22 AM
  #11
HabsHockey
Registered User
 
HabsHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKmtl View Post
I never really took any of this Vinny to Montreal **** seriously but this morning my girlfriend said she heard an audio clip of Bob Gainey talking about the possibility on CHOM.
Apparently he said something about Gorges and some other players, and he would be weighing the costs.

Is there actually something going on here for once? I mean usually there's no basis to Vinny trade talks, but is Gainey actually talking about it this time?
No he's being Gainey. Not really saying anything specifically.

HabsHockey is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:22 AM
  #12
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKmtl View Post
I never really took any of this Vinny to Montreal **** seriously but this morning my girlfriend said she heard an audio clip of Bob Gainey talking about the possibility on CHOM.
Apparently he said something about Gorges and some other players, and he would be weighing the costs.

Is there actually something going on here for once? I mean usually there's no basis to Vinny trade talks, but is Gainey actually talking about it this time?
I can't believe that Higgins, Pleky, Georges, Subban + at least one 1st round draft pick is worth Vinny and that horrible contract!

It could ruin team chemistry and would seriously hit our depth which took 10+ years to build!

Don't do it Bob, stay the course and trust the system.

If anything, go get a 4th dman!

nyhabsfan is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:29 AM
  #13
HabsHockey
Registered User
 
HabsHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
I can't believe that Higgins, Pleky, Georges, Subban + at least one 1st round draft pick is worth Vinny and that horrible contract!

It could ruin team chemistry and would seriously hit our depth which took 10+ years to build!

Don't do it Bob, stay the course and trust the system.

If anything, go get a 4th dman!
Gainey never said this to begin with.

HabsHockey is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:34 AM
  #14
MaKi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 500
Thanks for the info guys.
I trust Gainey will make the right decision either way, he knows alot more than me about the teams situation and what would benefit them more.
I'm guessing if he thinks our young players like D'ago and MaxPac can stay up in the big leagues without hurting their development he might do the trade.
Or maybe he knows he will be able to get something better at the trade deadline, or in the offseason.
All I know is the decision is his, so I'm not going to stress over it.

MaKi is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:35 AM
  #15
Thinkaboutthat
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
La Presse has talked to Lecavalier after yesterday's game. He says he's very interested to play for the Habs. Lightning GM Brian Lawton added that no player on his team is untouchable.
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...r-montreal.php

Mathias Brunet ont the trade talks:
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...en-discute.php

I don't see anything on the Journal website (canoe.qc.ca) yet.

Thinkaboutthat is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:36 AM
  #16
JMMR
Registered User
 
JMMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,355
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Also you still would need to replace one winger and two defenseman.

JMMR is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:42 AM
  #17
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,488
vCash: 500
Some comments from Vinny suggest he wants nothing to do with us, others suggest he wants to play here...

Very confusing!

If he indeed doesn't want to play in a pressure cooker, eff him. He's not a true competitor if that's the case. If he'd rather play with Steve Downie as his star winger then let him.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:42 AM
  #18
HabsHockey
Registered User
 
HabsHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkaboutthat View Post
La Presse has talked to Lecavalier after yesterday's game. He says he's very interested to play for the Habs. Lightning GM Brian Lawton added that no player on his team is untouchable.
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...r-montreal.php

Mathias Brunet ont the trade talks:
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...en-discute.php

I don't see anything on the Journal website (canoe.qc.ca) yet.
Your misquoting Lecavalier

HabsHockey is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:43 AM
  #19
strutsboa
Registered User
 
strutsboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
Links about The Vincent Lecavalier Saga!

The Vincent Lecavalier-thread is quite massive and it's really heavy to go through. Could we have this thread to just post links about the saga without posting any own opinions?

It might be an easy way to stay updated without spending hours of searching for the links. If it's a bad idea - delete it!

strutsboa is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:46 AM
  #20
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..
 
HellasLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,208
vCash: 500
That package is a lot but, worth it.

Lecav replaces Plekanec
Pacioretty replaces Higgins
Goerges has been good for you guys, but no irreplaceable within your system or through a deadline deal.
Subban, he is not a roster player. Good but expendable. Again, not a deal breaker. His value is really high right now. May not be a bad idea to capitalize.
1st rounder + may have to bite the bullet here.

It's worth it. Lecavalier will be your first line centre for years and you do not re-sign Koivu to help ease the contract burden.

HellasLEAF is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:50 AM
  #21
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
Your misquoting Lecavalier
S'il avait à faire une courte liste des villes où il aimerait jouer, Montréal serait-elle en bonne position? «C'est sûr» a-t-il répondu.

deandebean is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:51 AM
  #22
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,273
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
That package is a lot but, worth it.

Lecav replaces Plekanec
Pacioretty replaces Higgins
Goerges has been good for you guys, but no irreplaceable within your system or through a deadline deal.
Subban, he is not a roster player. Good but expendable. Again, not a deal breaker. His value is really high right now. May not be a bad idea to capitalize.
1st rounder + may have to bite the bullet here.

It's worth it. Lecavalier will be your first line centre for years and you do not re-sign Koivu to help ease the contract burden.
I know Gorges isn't a "deal-breaker" but for me, he is. There has to be a D-man coming back. I'm not going into the play-offs with Markov-Komisarek, Hamrlik-Brisebois, Bouillon-O'Byrne.

We'd get slaughtered.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:51 AM
  #23
Thinkaboutthat
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
S'il avait à faire une courte liste des villes où il aimerait jouer, Montréal serait-elle en bonne position? «C'est sûr» a-t-il répondu.
You beat me!

Thinkaboutthat is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:54 AM
  #24
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
S'il avait à faire une courte liste des villes où il aimerait jouer, Montréal serait-elle en bonne position? «C'est sûr» a-t-il répondu.
Doesn't = "I'm VERY interested to play for the Habs!"

All he did there was not say "F U" to the journalist, basically.

waffledave is offline  
Old
01-13-2009, 06:54 AM
  #25
sandman08
Registered User
 
sandman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hyderabad, India
Country: India
Posts: 2,382
vCash: 500
as mentioned its not simply as easy as "lang, dandenault, bouilion and tanguay make x number of dollars" when it comes to acquiring lecavalier as opposed to who replaces those guys spots in the lineup and how much do they make PLUS whoever we have to replace from the lineup of guys who are dealt for lecavalier, ie. if the supposedly proposed trade of plek, higgins, gorges/o'byrne + prospects (subban?) then who takes the spots of those guys (unless someones coming back with lecavalier like paul ranger as mentioned somewhere).. in that case ranger would replace gorges (if he is included even) fine.. lecavalier takes lang's spot yes (relatively speaking), then the wingers lost would be tanguay and higgins being replaced by pacioretty and d'agostini (im assuming at least) but we're still "losing" 2 defencemen that have to be replaced by someone (who ideally would have to make the league minimum or be on their entry level deals)
all in all, i'd say gorges would have to stay given all that of that (so ranger would replace one of dandy or bouillion) which would make the whole thing more palatable.
finally, those figures that you mention all work based on the current cap and not on one that is projected to decrease

sandman08 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.