HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Tom Renny teach Robbie Schremp how to play NHL hockey? (merged)

Old
01-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
When I think of Schremp, I think of Alex Bourret. The Rangers organization was unable to fix Bourret's issues, I see no reason to believe they will be the magic cure-all for Schremp.
Good call, totally agree.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:01 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
When I think of Schremp, I think of Alex Bourret. The Rangers organization was unable to fix Bourret's issues, I see no reason to believe they will be the magic cure-all for Schremp.
Mmmm where would you rank him in the Rangers prospects if he came over?

01-13-2009, 10:09 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Schremp have a better skill set the bourret, and a higher ceiling.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Fletch

I think at age 18-20, Shremp had a slightly better skillset and slightly higher upside. I believe Shremp was taken lower in draft than Bourret, but if I remember correctly, his draft class was a bit better.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Well the guy sure isnt feeling the love from the Oilers. Maybe he's on the edge, a guy with sick skills but for whatever reason cant play at the NHL level game in game out.

Perhaps a trade would be beneficial. If it didnt cost a lot, why not take a chance. He can play wing as well as center and he can play the PP. I know the 150pt season in juniors is the past, but he put up a pt per game last year in the AHL. If nothing else he could help the Pack

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Well the guy sure isnt feeling the love from the Oilers. Maybe he's on the edge, a guy with sick skills but for whatever reason cant play at the NHL level game in game out.

Perhaps a trade would be beneficial. If it didnt cost a lot, why not take a chance. He can play wing as well as center and he can play the PP. I know the 150pt season in juniors is the past, but he put up a pt per game last year in the AHL. If nothing else he could help the Pack
Possibly. But he is a RFA next season, so I imagine he'd want some NHL time this season if he intended to resign wherever he landed.

I saw the couple games he was called up for, and he looked decent, but didn't strike me as a guy who would be an impact player here. I know he plays the point on the PP, but after the one shift of Drury on the point, I doubt we see another forward back there.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:38 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Ok.... I'm just brainstorming some more "dormant" scoring for the Rangers I guess

Old
01-13-2009, 10:53 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

i cannnot think of any player less likely to fit into the "renney system" than robbie schremp.

hes all offense. no defense. all creativity. no structure. all one on one stick handling and no "5 in the box" mentality. heck hes none in the box. hes zherdev without the skating speed or the edge.

no doubt, robs got some filthy stick skills. but in the renney system, where blair betts is a wet dream, hes not gonna fit. within weeks of arriving, schremp will be banished to the press box, takin turns with petr prucha and smiling at pretty girls.

pass.

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
haha hossa, he had the talent to really be something in the NHL, but he just didnt have the motivation or drive to do it. its sad to see a guy with his talent not become something in this league.
Sadly, Hossa would probably been just as good an option as some of the others on the roster now. I mean, who in the bottom 6 is doing a job that he couldn't?

The same applies to Schremp. The expectations to remain in the Rangers lineup are virtually non-existent, so it's hard to imagine that someone with even motivation issues can't reach them. Can he bring any less to the lineup than Sjostrom?

Fritsche, straight up.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:02 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Well Thats where Renny comes in. Sometimes I question Rennys managing of the game, but I think hes an Excellent teacher, coach. Perhaps he can reach Schremp where the Oilers have failed

Old
01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Fritsche, straight up.
I mean really, wheres the downside on this?

Old
01-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Hockey2000nyr

if the oilers were interested id do fritsche for schremp straight up, heck id even consider maybe doing a dawes for schremp.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Voros is creative?

Im talking Prucha, Zherdev, Dubinsky.

Voros is just scratched because he is a terrible hockey player. Though I guess he does play a "Renney" type game since for some reason he was put back into the line to only take bad penalties and bring a line down. But as long as he doesnt try to be creative then he's good to go.
Voros was a joke. he was the only player besides Prucha I could think of that's been held of the lineup (which is how I interpreted benching)

Prucha was benched because he wasn't playing good enough, not because he wasn't safe enough (17 points in 70 games before he put up his first point this season).

I remember Zherdev being benched once, never Dubinsky. if Dubinsky were benched, I think it would have more to do with his 6 points in 19 games streak (even though his ice time never dipped below 12:40 in that span and his average ice was 16:52).

Renney does not stifle creativity. Nylander excelled under Renney, but is finding the pressbox a lot under his new coach.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:45 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Renney does not stifle creativity. Nylander excelled under Renney, but is finding the pressbox a lot under his new coach.
Bad example. Nylander is two years older and coming off major shoulder surgery now. If you recall, he also was one of the few vets to ever find a seat in the press box under Renney.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Stepan Razor

As everyone else has said, Schremp is all stick skills and one-on-one: with the puck, that is. For somebody so highly touted he may have the worst hockey sense I've ever seen. He's lazy in the neutral zone and is almost always a step behind when sliding into coverage and that will not work in this system.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:59 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
I remember Zherdev being benched once, never Dubinsky. if Dubinsky were benched, I think it would have more to do with his 6 points in 19 games streak (even though his ice time never dipped below 12:40 in that span and his average ice was 16:52).
Dubi was benched against the Islanders on October 27, which just happened to be right about when his scoring touch disappeared.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:07 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Dubi was benched against the Islanders on October 27, which just happened to be right about when his scoring touch disappeared.
Yeah, that was one of the moves that pushed me into the fire Renney category.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
So your boss reprimands you and you respond by handing in ****** work for awhile and the boss is to blame for your work not being good? Is this what your saying?

Old
01-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
so are you saying that Renney cutting a couple of Dubinsky's shifts (he played 11:24), is the reason he hasn't produced in two and a half months?

Old
01-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Fletch

Squishy...

I believe Nylander sat once. The Rangers won and played well without him and he returned to the lineup the next game. It may've been a token benching, but he was benched.

As for Schremp...he does need a change of scenery, but that doesn't mean he'd excel elsewhere.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Fletch

"Dubi was benched against the Islanders on October 27, which just happened to be right about when his scoring touch disappeared"

So in other words, Renney's a genius for foreseeing this and he tried to do something to stop the slump before it happens, but unfortunately it was inevitable.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:45 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
So your boss reprimands you and you respond by handing in ****** work for awhile and the boss is to blame for your work not being good? Is this what your saying?
Quote:
so are you saying that Renney cutting a couple of Dubinsky's shifts (he played 11:24), is the reason he hasn't produced in two and a half months?

Correction is one thing, but hurting a young player's confidence can go a long way towards making that player less effective. I certainly noticed that Dubi wasn't driving through the neutral zone like he was when he was scoring like a madman. He wasn't getting in deep to forecheck like he had been, either. He was playing "safe."

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Correction is one thing, but hurting a young player's confidence can go a long way towards making that player less effective. I certainly noticed that Dubi wasn't driving through the neutral zone like he was when he was scoring like a madman. He wasn't getting in deep to forecheck like he had been, either. He was playing "safe."
if Dubinsky really is that sensitive, it's going to be a long, frustrating career
fortunately, I don't think he is.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:55 PM
NYR Viper

I would trade fritsche or a 4th round pick for him. We all have been wanting another skilled winger who can put up points on this team. Whether it is to play with dubi/zherdev or gomez/naslund the opposite side of those lines is kind of weak offensively(callahan/korpikoski/voros). Don't get me wrong, I really like korpikoski and callahan however if you want this team to put up more points then this team needs more offensive skill. It's that simple. The team defense has been getting better and better and IMO the rangers can afford to take a flyer on a guy who could potentially be a 30 goal scorer. Does he come with some problems? Absolutely. But so did zherdev and look how that has worked out. This is what this team NEEDS to do in order to get the talent they need. They need to buy low. Hope that players can turn it around. They have enough players in their system who can fill the bottom lines and play well both ways. What they need are players who consistently put the puck in the net and make the players around them better.

I say get the deal done and see what the guy has. If he doesnt work out, oh well. What's the downside? The loss of a late pick? The loss of some depth at forward? I would gladly take that.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

If he doesn't work you've wasted time, money and energy that couldve been used on someone who's worth it. I'd rather not throw Schremp in with the rest of our youth. Don't like what could happen there.