HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, European & Juniors discussion (no AHL) (con't...)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
That's what I figured as well. Seems like he has the skillset to maximize his potential though.
I'm just hoping he doesn't become another Ken Roche, Billy Ryan, David Inman or Darin Olver

Old
01-13-2009, 09:52 AM
McRanger

A week old but I didn't see it anywhere so...

Stepan got WCHA's rookie of the week honors last week.

Quote:
Wisconsin Badgers men's hockey center Derek Stepan has been named the Western Collegiate Hockey Association's rookie of the week after scoring a pair of goals in last weekend's nonconference series against Northern Michigan.

http://www.badgerbeat.com/news/article/id/431123

Old
01-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'm just hoping he doesn't become another Ken Roche, Billy Ryan, David Inman or Darin Olver
I think the big thing with guys like Ryan and Olver is that they never really improved from year to year. That will be the big indicator to me about what type of prospect Stepan is. If he gets better each year and is the leading scorer on his team in a few years, then I think things are looking pretty good. If he stagnates like Olver and Ryan, then there's cause for concern.

I don't think Roche ever really had the top end skills, and I don't know much about Inman.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Oh boy, now you've done it.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:26 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think the big thing with guys like Ryan and Olver is that they never really improved from year to year. That will be the big indicator to me about what type of prospect Stepan is. If he gets better each year and is the leading scorer on his team in a few years, then I think things are looking pretty good. If he stagnates like Olver and Ryan, then there's cause for concern.

I don't think Roche ever really had the top end skills, and I don't know much about Inman.
None of them are really good comparisons. Stepan has already outscored Ryan, Roche and Inman in their rookie seasons, and Olver was drafted going into his sophomore year at a seriously inferior program.

Stepan is somewhere between the above mentioned names and Zach Parise (who was drafted at 19 after his freshman year) in terms of his development.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Oh boy, now you've done it.
Nah, we're due for another early round Savard/York type player...knock on wood

Old
01-13-2009, 11:24 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Nah, we're due for another early round Savard/York type player...knock on wood
then we can trade him for a czech that has 2 decent years with us while stepan becomes a point per game player for a decade.

Old
01-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
None of them are really good comparisons. Stepan has already outscored Ryan, Roche and Inman in their rookie seasons, and Olver was drafted going into his sophomore year at a seriously inferior program.

Stepan is somewhere between the above mentioned names and Zach Parise (who was drafted at 19 after his freshman year) in terms of his development.
I wasn't trying to compare production, I was making the point that in order to turn into a NHL player, Stepan has to continue to improve, unlike the other players mentioned. Ryan had a solid sophmore year and looked like he was getting better, but then stopped, and backslid. Olver had a very good rookie year, very good and improve sophmore year, but then went backwards in the next two years and ultimately, from scouting reports, it sounds like he never actually improved his game all that much (or at least enough to make the next jump).

So, Stepan may be doing well, he may have a very nice rookie year, but he needs to continue to improve his game each year he's in college or he'll end up like the other guys mentioned.

Old
01-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I wasn't trying to compare production, I was making the point that in order to turn into a NHL player, Stepan has to continue to improve, unlike the other players mentioned. Ryan had a solid sophmore year and looked like he was getting better, but then stopped, and backslid. Olver had a very good rookie year, very good and improve sophmore year, but then went backwards in the next two years and ultimately, from scouting reports, it sounds like he never actually improved his game all that much (or at least enough to make the next jump).

So, Stepan may be doing well, he may have a very nice rookie year, but he needs to continue to improve his game each year he's in college or he'll end up like the other guys mentioned.
You make a good point. Some players have it nice when they're getting freshman and sophmore type icetime - when its their turn to steer the reigns its a whole new ballgame.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:33 PM
McRanger

Quote:

I agree, though that can be said about any prospect at any level leading up to the NHL. All you can do is look at what you have, and Stepan's freshman year so far, at age 18, is better than any of the others. By a fair margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
You make a good point. Some players have it nice when they're getting freshman and sophmore type icetime - when its their turn to steer the reigns its a whole new ballgame.
True, though from the looks of it Stepan is already playing an (increasingly) important role. And considering this is Wisconsin and some some podunk school, that says something.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
I agree, though that can be said about any prospect at any level leading up to the NHL. All you can do is look at what you have, and Stepan's freshman year so far, at age 18, is better than any of the others. By a fair margin.

True, though from the looks of it Stepan is already playing an (increasingly) important role. And considering this is Wisconsin and some some podunk school, that says something.
I agree, its very encouraging, just dont ever count the chickens before they hatch. I've learned that lesson many times following this team over the years

Old
01-13-2009, 09:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Mike Taylor scored his ninth goal tonight for Charlotte. Leslie seems to think he's worth watching, so I'll start including him in the stat recaps. He's now at 9-13-22 in 34 games.

Tomas Zaborsky recorded an assist for Dayton. He stands at 4-3-7 in 7 games with Dayton.

It's just pain.
Old
01-13-2009, 11:07 PM
squishy

From a translation of a short interview with Grachev after the WJCs:

Quote:
- After the games in the play-offs fans in Russia have recognized you the revelation of our team. What do you have to say about that?

- I didnít know about that. Very nice! I very much love games in which everything is decided, where you need to fight every moment, where passions are at the limit. But I know that I didnít play like that in group play.
http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...key-every-day/

Old
01-14-2009, 09:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Erie Otters defenseman Mitch Gaulton will have his surgically repaired left elbow evaluated again today. By tonight, club officials will know if he will rejoin the lineup for this weekend's games at Tullio Arena, Sherry Bassin, managing partner/general manager, said today.

"I feel very confident (Gaulton will play this weekend)," Bassin said
http://www.goerie.thinkhost.com/mt/a...ng_fate_t.html

January 13-2:21pm

Old
01-14-2009, 09:15 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
That is awesome Gaulton is coming back. It would be nice if he turned into a steal...even as a 6th NHL Dman.

Old
01-14-2009, 09:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
That is awesome Gaulton is coming back. It would be nice if he turned into a steal...even as a 6th NHL Dman.
His appointment with the Rangers doctors kept being pushed off.

Old
01-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Nich

well a 6th d man would be good for his late draft position, but don't forget prior to injury people were saying 2nd round pick....so his ceiling is supposedly higher than a 6th d man.

Old
01-14-2009, 03:48 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Sherry Bassin, Erie Otters' managing partner/general manager, said today that defenseman Mitch Gaulton has been cleared by team doctors to play this weekend. But Bassin still awaits confirmation on Gaulton's surgically repaired left elbow from New York Rangers' doctors.

"He's ready to play as far as we're concerned," said Bassin, who didn't hear from Rangers' doctors Tuesday night, as originally anticipated, and was unable to reach them by telephone earlier today.

Bassin expected to speak with Rangers' officials tonight at the CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in Oshawa, Ontario, where Bassin lives. Gaulton, a Rangers' prospect, hasn't played since last January and in only five games since dislocating his elbow in Owen Sound in October 2007
http://www.goerie.thinkhost.com/mt/a...to_play_s.html

Old
01-15-2009, 10:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Grachev with a goal and assist tonight (+3). 22-20-42 in 34 games.

Old
01-16-2009, 12:12 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Impressive. Impressive, indeed.

Old
01-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Wow. Kid is having a hell of a season.

Old
01-16-2009, 07:48 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Saw that - sweet.

Hodgson had a hat trick in the same game. How do we get him from Vancouver...?

Old
01-16-2009, 07:54 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I missed it from Wednesday night but Tysen Dowzak recorded an assist. He now has 6 assists in 26 games with 43 PIM (+4). Kid is humongous at 6'5" 230, and he has a nasty streak to him. I don't really know about how defensively sound he is, but he was obviously strong enough to earn a contract from us. I think he's one to keep an eye on.

Also, didn't realize he had played in the CHL Top Prospects game in 2006. He came out of Shattuck St. Mary's, and played with Angelo Esposito, Jonathan Toews and Taylor Chorney.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 01-16-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old
01-16-2009, 09:44 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I missed it from Wednesday night but Tysen Dowzak recorded an assist. He now has 6 assists in 26 games with 43 PIM (+4). Kid is humongous at 6'5" 230, and he has a nasty streak to him. I don't really know about how defensively sound he is, but he was obviously strong enough to earn a contract from us. I think he's one to keep an eye on.

Also, didn't realize he had played in the CHL Top Prospects game in 2006. He came out of Shattuck St. Mary's, and played with Angelo Esposito, Jonathan Toews and Taylor Chorney.
Hope your assessment is right, nyr2k2. Prospect Park keeps complaining that the kid doesn't play with the edge they'd like to see (although apparently he has been better recently, since the Kelowna coach called out the entire D corps).

Old
01-17-2009, 10:18 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Grachev with an assist. 22-21-43 in 35.

Hillier continuing to play extremely well. He had a goal and two assists, now at 7-9-16 in 35. Mike Taylor also netted an assist. 9-13-22 in 35.

Stepan with a primary assist. 5-15-20 in 25.

Campbell with a goal. 9-3-12 in 22. Leads his team in goals.

Closed Thread