HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dmitri Kugryshev a steal

Old
01-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 500
I wonder how much of challenge the QMJHL is for Kugryshev. He can survive in that league on raw skill alone whereas the AHL would force him to evolve into a more balanced, mature player. He's leading the Q among rookies in goals and points, which makes for a confidence-building introduction to the North American game. Just the same, though, he'd probably be better off heading to Hershey next season so long as there's consistent ice-time for him. There's no hurry in rushing him to Washington but there's no sense in wasting an additional season in the Quebec league if it's not going to make a whole lot of developmental sense.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

Kugryshev named QMJHL rookie of the month, with four goals, nine assists, a +6 in seven December games. Each of the QMJHL rookies of the month this season have been Russian (Kulikov twice and Ostapchuk once were the others).

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I think it is a good setting for where he can develop his defensive game without much pressure. He would have a bit of time getting quality minutes in Hershey, if he could crack the roster at this point. Or at least, he might, but where would he play? (even if I say that at risk of being called out on his blog. )

He can always come up after Juniors is over and be a black ace or make a push for the Calder Cup.

But I think he might not get the time in Hershey he gets in the Q.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:56 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Watched a two or three Russian games at the WJC. Was impressed by Kugry's dangle sause and his ability to take on a defender one on one and his general seminesque type handling skills...that can't be taught. His top end speed seems to need a little work as well as the quickness in the off season but that is typical of pretty much any hockey player his age.

Some times his line would be out there for 25 seconds so not sure if he was on the "4th line" or what.

01-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Watched a two or three Russian games at the WJC. Was impressed by Kugry's dangle sause and his ability to take on a defender one on one and his general seminesque type handling skills...that can't be taught. His top end speed seems to need a little work as well as the quickness in the off season but that is typical of pretty much any hockey player his age.
Sounds like Flash.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:41 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I wonder how much of challenge the QMJHL is for Kugryshev. He can survive in that league on raw skill alone whereas the AHL would force him to evolve into a more balanced, mature player. He's leading the Q among rookies in goals and points, which makes for a confidence-building introduction to the North American game. Just the same, though, he'd probably be better off heading to Hershey next season so long as there's consistent ice-time for him. There's no hurry in rushing him to Washington but there's no sense in wasting an additional season in the Quebec league if it's not going to make a whole lot of developmental sense.
I think you're right, but at the same time, I think that he must learn to take hits in the QMJHL before making it to the next level. How can he perform while being hit in the AHL when he has troubles doing it in the Q?

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:34 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I think you're right, but at the same time, I think that he must learn to take hits in the QMJHL before making it to the next level. How can he perform while being hit in the AHL when he has troubles doing it in the Q?
Have seen him take hits in the Worlds - he still held on to the puck... I think that he will be ok...

Anyways - his blog is updated.. http://www.icedaily.com/blog/58/Dmitry-Kugryshev awesome stuff!!!

Last edited by FeedDaPuck: 01-11-2009 at 10:23 PM.
FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:59 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Good read.

I may understand now why he had troubles last weekend. Head still at the WJC?

Old
01-11-2009, 10:14 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Good read.

I may understand now why he had troubles last weekend. Head still at the WJC?
Ask him! - he seems to answer the questions! But yeah, he does seem jinxed...

Old
01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Honestly - none... please - pose that question to him. I wonder what he will answer!!! http://www.icedaily.com/action/askQuestion

Old
01-11-2009, 10:51 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

I would like to have him back in Quebec, but I know that for his development, it would be better if he plays in Hershey. If he can get enough ice in Hershey, he should be there next season. But still, the Q didn't hurt Krejci, Voracek, Frolik and Radulov. Dominating a level before going to the next is always good.

Old
01-11-2009, 11:59 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
I would like to have him back in Quebec, but I know that for his development, it would be better if he plays in Hershey. If he can get enough ice in Hershey, he should be there next season. But still, the Q didn't hurt Krejci, Voracek, Frolik and Radulov. Dominating a level before going to the next is always good.
From hearing things about him he shoul be challenged. Q - is not for him. He MUST be put into a situatio where he fails - and must succeed. Q is not it...

Old
01-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
so true. i feel like in the "new" NHL there are many people that expect kids should be ready to play in the NHL right away or that they can only develop in the AHL.

the team is deep. there is no need to rush Kugsie

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:34 AM
txpd

I am increasingly convinced that the Caps want to keep the players coming in the order in which their entry level deals start. They only "skip a grade" when the player can't be held back, like Alzner. They have so many players in the system that are realistic NHL players they have to work very hard to manage their developement time as a group.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:40 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

It's not like he is dominating the Q right now. But I do understand that they all prefer playing in the AHL/NHL than in juniors because I would too.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:23 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
When a guy is dominating the league he is in, its time for the next challenge. Waiting for the season to expire only delays the inevitable next challenge. Like Alzner as player of the year in the WHL, I think his development didnt progress as much as it could have in the AHL or NHL.

Keep up the good work Kooger. I know its probably not easy moving from Russia to Quebec what with the language barrier and all, but keep doing well and your time there will be that much less.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote