HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Higgins, what happened??

Old
01-13-2009, 12:05 PM
FrankMTL

vCash: 500
Chris Higgins, what happened??

First of all, let me just say that I like the guy a lot. He's been a pretty good player for us in the last few years and seems like a really good guy. I have been hoping for a 30-30 season from him up till and including this year.

Having said that, i've been dissapointed with his progress over the last few years as i had him pegged as a future captain of this team. Injuries have obviously played a large role in his lack of progress as I have never seen the Chris Higgins of the past since his serious injury a couple of years ago. What really annoys me is that every year I hear how hard he trains in the off season, and i'm always hoping for a big year from him, and I always end up dissapointed. I thought he really had the CH tatooed on the heart as he was a big fan when he was a kid, but I don't see any of that passion in him anymore when he plays....just a player going through the motions most of the time. In all of the games he played this year, how many was he actually noticable in??

I don't want to add this to the fire as I don't really care for radio 730 (corrus sports) but they mentionned this morning that a lot of people notice that Chris is performing much better off the ice (bars and clubs) then he is on the ice...and this is true. he always seems to be in party pictures.

Since he seems to be in most trade rumors, do you think his value has fallen in the eyes of Bob Gainey, or does he simply have more maturing to do??

Last edited by FrankMTL: 01-13-2009 at 12:14 PM.
FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Doctor House

Everyone is expendable - well except Price, Markov & Komisarek.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:14 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor House View Post
Ya I should change that title...

Old
01-13-2009, 12:21 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
First of all, let me just say that I like the guy a lot. He's been a pretty good player for us in the last few years and seems like a really good guy. I have been hoping for a 30-30 season from him up till and including this year.

Having said that, i've been dissapointed with his progress over the last few years as i had him pegged as a future captain of this team. Injuries have obviously played a large role in his lack of progress as I have never seen the Chris Higgins of the past since his serious injury a couple of years ago. What really annoys me is that every year I hear how hard he trains in the off season, and i'm always hoping for a big year from him, and I always end up dissapointed. I thought he really had the CH tatooed on the heart as he was a big fan when he was a kid, but I don't see any of that passion in him anymore when he plays....just a player going through the motions most of the time. In all of the games he played this year, how many was he actually noticable in??

I don't want to add this to the fire as I don't really care for radio 730 (corrus sports) but they mentionned this morning that a lot of people notice that Chris is performing much better off the ice (bars and clubs) then he is on the ice...and this is true. he always seems to be in party pictures.

Since he seems to be in most trade rumors, do you think his value has fallen in the eyes of Bob Gainey, or does he simply have more maturing to do??

Get the "A" off his jersey. His head will deflate and maybe he will bconcentrate more on his game.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Habitants

you guys are funny! what the hell do you want him to do score goals from the press box?! he is freakin injured! give it a damn rest!

last season he was one of the highest scorers in the league after the all star game. at least wait till he get back on the ice!

long live HF. stop complaining, **** and enjoy the hockey!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

he hasn't been the same player since that ankle injury a couple seasons ago. Since then Higgins has shown to be inconsistent and injury prone. I disagree with any assessment of Higgins that brings into question his heart or effort though. I have never got the sense that Higgins has struggled through a lack of effort, but rather that he often tries to play outside of his abilities.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Get the "A" off his jersey. His head will deflate and maybe he will bconcentrate more on his game.
And why do you think he's got an ego problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
he hasn't been the same player since that ankle injury a couple seasons ago. Since then Higgins has shown to be inconsistent and injury prone. I disagree with any assessment of Higgins that brings into question his heart or effort though. I have never got the sense that Higgins has struggled through a lack of effort, but rather that he often tries to play outside of his abilities.
His injury happened in his second season. Last year, his third, he played in all 82 games. This year, he's gotten hurt. That's one injury since his ankle one. I would hardly call that injury prone. I just don't know if he was totally healed when he came back from it earlier this season.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-13-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:30 PM
AH

The guy is living his dream. Complacency is what I call it. Giving him the 'A' was not a good move.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
His injury happened in his second season. Last year, his third, he played in all 82 games. This year, he's gotten hurt. That's one injury since his ankle one. I would hardly call that injury prone. I just don't know if he was totally healed when he came back from it earlier this season.
didn't he get hurt again though in his 2nd season after he hurt his ankle?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:32 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
And why do you think he's got an ego problem?
It was too early in his carreer to give him an "A". Komisarek is even more deserving than him.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I think most of that is just fan perception/overreaction.

If you look at his numbers last year, 27 goals playing 2nd line and 2nd PP. I'm pretty sure there are not a ton of 2nd liners with more than 30 goals. When you add his play on PK and strong defensive play, I'd say he is a quality 2nd liner.

I still think he can improve his game a bit by being more consistant and using his speed a bit more regularly. He could easily average 30-30-60 from now until the end of his career, that's a pretty solid all around player.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

He actually missed most of camp with a groin injury(I think that's what it was).

Old
01-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think most of that is just fan perception/overreaction.

If you look at his numbers last year, 27 goals playing 2nd line and 2nd PP. I'm pretty sure there are not a ton of 2nd liners with more than 30 goals. When you add his play on PK and strong defensive play, I'd say he is a quality 2nd liner.

I still think he can improve his game a bit by being more consistant and using his speed a bit more regularly. He could easily average 30-30-60 from now until the end of his career, that's a pretty solid all around player.
Word, homeboy.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
didn't he get hurt again though in his 2nd season after he hurt his ankle?
11-Dec-08 Hand injury, sidelined indefinitely.
25-Oct-08 Missed 6 games (groin).
10-Oct-08 Groin, day-to-day.
03-Mar-07 Missed 2 games (virus).
27-Feb-07 Virus, day-to-day.
24-Feb-07 Missed 1 game (upper body injury).
21-Feb-07 Upper body injury, day-to-day.
16-Dec-06 Missed 18 games (ankle injury).
07-Nov-06 Ankle injury, mid-December.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...adiens&id=2883

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Magic33

He works hard and all, scores here and there, but I dont get how people say that wont trade him. In my opinion, he is a good player, but he is replaceable. Other players can step in and provide exactly what he does. Like someone said already, every player is expendable except for a couple. Higgins is a good player, but replaceable.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Maitz
Chucky#27

I'm a big fan of Higgins and I really hope he will find his game when he'll comeback.

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
He works hard and all, scores here and there, but I dont get how people say that wont trade him. In my opinion, he is a good player, but he is replaceable. Other players can step in and provide exactly what he does. Like someone said already, every player is expendable except for a couple. Higgins is a good player, but replaceable.
He's the type of player you win with though. Our last 2 cups we had a lot of guys like him and only Roy as a true all-star/superstar.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:59 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Personally, it's just better for us that Plekanec has been struggling and that Higgins has been hurt.

Hopefully it makes their next set of contracts cheaper for us

Maybe we can sign Higgins for around $2.5 - $2.75M next season and Pleks to a contract around $3.25M.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:00 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Personally, it's just better for us that Plekanec has been struggling and that Higgins has been hurt.

Hopefully it makes their next set of contracts cheaper for us

Maybe we can sign Higgins for around $2.5 - $2.75M next season and Pleks to a contract around $3.25.
I was thinking exactly that....

Old
01-13-2009, 01:03 PM
HFboarder*

Quote:
+ Kosts + Pacioretty + PK Subban

HFboarder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:06 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
It's far too early to give up on Chris Higgins, he just needs a good straight talk with Carbo about defining what exactly his role is.

He needs to return to what he was touted to become. He needs to stop thinking he is a 2nd line sniper with defensive abilities and start acting like he's a potential Selke trophy winner who can chip 25-30 goals.

He'll figure it out one day or another and be a hell of a assets to a contending team.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:07 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
lol he doesn't have a big head at all. Its actually the complete opposite, he admittedly lacks confidence.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:14 PM
HFboarder*

Quote:
I have been hoping for a 30-30 season from him up till and including this year.
30-30 season from Chris "I can't score on an empty net" Higgins?

HFboarder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
You are right - eveyone is indeed expendable - no exceptions!

Remember a guy named Gretzky? If he can be traded, who is not expendable?

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFboarder View Post
30-30 season from Chris "I can't score on an empty net" Higgins?
Unfortunately, there's still people who believes it might happen someday...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote