HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blueshirts, Zherdev Talk New Contract

Old
01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
oh my god a player is skilled but all his skill doesn't translate directly into points!

he must be a constant disappointment

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Sure I can. This guy is as talented as anyone in the league.

And he has as many goals as that cursed Chris Drury and the offensive wizard Ryan Callahan.
But he's a play maker first not a sniper, so that is expected...

And who exactly can pass to Zherdev on this team? Maybe the Gomez from last year. Do we have to expect Zherdev to just dangle through everyone and scores goals? Thats pretty much the only way hes going to score.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
oh my god a player is skilled but all his skill doesn't translate directly into points!
No, but somehow salary does.

01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
But he's a play maker first not a sniper, so that is expected...

And who exactly can pass to Zherdev on this team? Maybe the Gomez from last year. Do we have to expect Zherdev to just dangle through everyone and scores goals? Thats pretty much the only way hes going to score.
I would settle for more shots on goals and less dangling. I would prefer not skating into a corner.\

Interesting that Zherdev is immune from criticism.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:45 PM
nyrfan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Well Kalinin will be gone for sure and I am sure that Sather would trade someone like Rozsival or (God willing) Redden at the draft or in the offseason. Christ i would trade Redden to trade down. But if Sather can convince a team to give us a superstar for Anson Carter...I think he can get it done.
I wish they could trade Redden, but I don't see anyone wanting to take on the huge contract of this bum. Could we agree to pay a portion of it? That wouldn't be bad.

Anyway, great to hear that Z wants to be here and that the Rangers are in the first steps of locking him up.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:16 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I would settle for more shots on goals and less dangling. I would prefer not skating into a corner.\

Interesting that Zherdev is immune from criticism.
No one is immune from criticism. But Zheredev has produced more than any other player on the team and doesn't have a big salary (yet). Why are you expecting him to be criticized?

That implies that every player should be judged on a continuum of [no criticism -----Lindros grumbling----- Tom Poti treatment]. Of course EVERY player can improve things, especially when viewed on a game-to-game basis. Personally I view players on a continuum of [Gretzky-like adulation-----no criticism-----Tom Poti treatment]. Of all the players on the team, Zherdev is about the farthest to the left of the midpoint.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:20 PM
gravytrain6t

The article talks about the same stuff we've been discussing all year on here. The only thing it confirms is that Zherdev likes it here in NY.

Zherdev is bascially what we had with Kovalev except I think Zherdev (if the Rangers can show he and his agent the money) will make it here in NY. He does dangle the puck a lot. Renney wants him to shoot more. But he's obviously not a turn over machine like K was when he was here. Z is one of few Rangers on the positive side of the plus/minus and it may even be the highest.

He's got to be signed. I'm not saying right now he's Malkin but he is our version of him or Kovalev or Radulov or who ever. Well not who ever. There are those guys down here and Alex O is way up idk where.

Alex O is the next "great one." No doubt about it.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:29 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
One of the forwards-Drury or Gomez has to move in the summer.Drury has a NMC but he does have the home in LA.Drury to Colorado for either Brett Clark or Ruslan Salei both of whom have one year remaining on their contracts.The Rangers save $4 million in 09-10 and $7 million in the following two seasons.The Rangers take back another smaller contract to bury in the AHL.Gomez gives the Rangers a list of 3 teams where the Rangers can't trade him.When the Rangers were attempting to clear space to sign Mats Sundin,I heard Bob McKenzie on the NHL Live say Markus Naslund was one of the players possibly in play to clear room for Sundin.He has a NMC but if he is traded to a good team and good city,Naslund will move b/c he has no ties to NY.His salary is $3 million next season.$4 million cap.25-30 goal scorer.
Why would Colorado want Drury. They want to get younger. This is a rebuilding team.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
No one is immune from criticism. But Zheredev has produced more than any other player on the team and doesn't have a big salary (yet). Why are you expecting him to be criticized?

That implies that every player should be judged on a continuum of [no criticism -----Lindros grumbling----- Tom Poti treatment]. Of course EVERY player can improve things, especially when viewed on a game-to-game basis. Personally I view players on a continuum of [Gretzky-like adulation-----no criticism-----Tom Poti treatment]. Of all the players on the team, Zherdev is about the farthest to the left of the midpoint.
Because I believe he should be a better player than he is. And his inconsistency is a huge concern. He's already been traded once because of it.

Old
01-13-2009, 03:49 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
6year/30million do it! Anything less than 5 million per would be outstanding!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:53 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Why would Colorado want Drury. They want to get younger. This is a rebuilding team.
so were we supposed to be!

but Colorado might want him for those oh so great intangibles.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:02 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Because I believe he should be a better player than he is. And his inconsistency is a huge concern. He's already been traded once because of it.
And he's responded with his best season to date.

He's on pace for his best points totals of his career while also on pace for his best +/- numbers of his career.

He's leading a team that is currently in 8th in the NHL. He's taken what he's learned from Hitch, and what he's learned from Renney defensively and has put that into practice and has become a much more complete player this year.

If Penner gets 4.5 million a year, and Jordan Staal gets 4 million a season you can bank on it that Zherdev will get 5+ million per season and based on the way he's played to date, he's earned it.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:17 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

The only reason Zherdev has been anything to rave about this season is because he's the only one to rave about this season.

He's been just decent, really. Valid points about nobody setting him up but he's barely having a career year and isn't scoring goals or shooting the puck.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:24 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Naslund is tied with Gomez for second.
Drury is tied with gomez and naslund aswell.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:26 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Good news to hear, let's get it done. He's been inconsistent at times, but his skill is definitely worthy of a 4 year deal at least, in my opinion.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:29 PM
NYROrtsFan

I hate how people only equate consistency with scoring. It is nearly impossible to be consistent with scoring. There are always going to be lapses. The only thing a player can keep consistent is the effort. Zherdev has been doing that since he's been here.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Levitate

Quote:
No, but somehow salary does.
You're all over the place. He's not going to get top dollar, he's going to get something in the range of what a 60-70 point player should get.

If your argument is that the Rangers should wait and hope that range comes down, then your argument about "wanting more from him" is irrelevant. He is what he is. He's worth a salary in that range. You wanting more from him won't change that.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:35 PM
GarretJoseph*

anything over 5 million a season and i'll pass

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
And he's responded with his best season to date.

He's on pace for his best points totals of his career while also on pace for his best +/- numbers of his career.

He's leading a team that is currently in 8th in the NHL. He's taken what he's learned from Hitch, and what he's learned from Renney defensively and has put that into practice and has become a much more complete player this year.

If Penner gets 4.5 million a year, and Jordan Staal gets 4 million a season you can bank on it that Zherdev will get 5+ million per season and based on the way he's played to date, he's earned it.
And I feel his career best is not good enough with the talent he has. I've seen him score goals that two maybe three players in the league can score.

He's leading a team full of players that people more or less have underachieved

If he gets 5+ M, I'm not sure I keep him.

Old
01-13-2009, 04:43 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
4mill a season sounds fair.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:46 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
You're all over the place. He's not going to get top dollar, he's going to get something in the range of what a 60-70 point player should get..
I'm not all over the place. I see a guy who is immensely talented yet hardy a difference maker. He has as many goals as Drury and Callahan. And if he's a playmaker, do we need another?

We don't know what players who score 60-70 points are going to command. He's not going to get top dollar? What is top dollar?

Quote:
If your argument is that the Rangers should wait and hope that range comes down, then your argument about "wanting more from him" is irrelevant. He is what he is. He's worth a salary in that range. You wanting more from him won't change that.
I need to see more in that I'm not sure he's the guy I want to invest big money and years in (especially with this team as it's currently constructed and when you are talking about buying out years of UFAgency from him)

Again, I'm willing to wait and see what a salary in that range really is.

Old
01-13-2009, 04:48 PM
045NYR

i'd say around 22.5 million for 5 years would be fair.

045NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Fletch

I'm fine with Zherdev's overall production. I don't always look at the black and whites, because there's too many combinations and permutations to really do that sometimes, so it doesn't always come down to goals scored by an individual. His assists are more than just outlet passes to a guy who does a heck of a lot to score a goal. Further, I think when you have a guy like Zherdev on the ice, it keeps defenses and goalies on their toes, which may not translate into a goal the minute Zherdev's on the ice, but I'm a firm believer that constant pressure, good shifts and quality chances results in goals for the team, and that's a good thing.

On the negative side - there are too many nights when he's not that guy on the ice that keeps defenses on their toes. But there really seems to be a problem with the Rangers forwards (showing up every night and being effective, that is - except for Callahan and Betts).

The number will be more than $4MM per season. It probably will at least approach $5MM, and it all depends on how he finishes the season and if there are playoffs, what he does in those playoffs.

Again, I think it's a bit more than just comparing goal totals (if that were the case, $1.6MM would be the benchmark for $1.6MM contracts for RFAs). But certainly it cannot be ignored.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Fletch

I will add this...

the problem with the Rangers' cap position is it doesn't have enough Zherdevs. By that, I mean guys with his productivity (call it low, or call it high, but it is what it is) who are going to be UFAs. If Zherdev is a redundant player to, say, Gomez, then in an ideal world you sign Zherdev to a contract that's a couple million $$ less than Gomez. The Rangers don't have enough home grown talent (top six) and went outside for that talent and overpaid. It would be a shame to lose him and have to bring in another UFA, and a UFA at the same cost will be less productive by definition.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
6year/30million do it! Anything less than 5 million per would be outstanding!
i'm thinking something like this as well. maybe a little less if he performs less, point-wise, come playoffs (assuming that's where we're headed)

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote