HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Star Game: No Backstrom...Green

Old
01-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Kegger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I don't understand people that thought Backstrom would make it. I knew that one of Elias or Parise wouldn't make it, and they both have more points than Niki. I'm not shocked that Green didn't make it, but thought he had a chance. The All-Star game always features veterans making it over younger guys whenever there is a choice, so why are people surprised that Chara made it over Green or Wideman?
I don't think its more a surprise that Wideman or Green did not get in, but more so that Komisarek did get in thanks to the flawed voting (over them). Same for Kovalev, and say someone more deserving like Elias or Backstrom.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:15 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I don't understand people that thought Backstrom would make it. I knew that one of Elias or Parise wouldn't make it, and they both have more points than Niki. I'm not shocked that Green didn't make it, but thought he had a chance. The All-Star game always features veterans making it over younger guys whenever there is a choice, so why are people surprised that Chara made it over Green or Wideman?
Two words....unrealistic expectations.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Burgh32

Nicky makes the sophomore team for the Youngstars per NHL Live. No Alzner. Biggest surprise is no Bobby Ryan on the freshman team.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:24 PM
sk84fun_dc

Youngstars 10 per team:

Sophs
F: Backstrom; Lucic; Dubinsky; Little; Setoguchi; Cogliano; Raymond

D: Marc Staal; Kris Letang

G: Ersberg

Rookies
F: Versteeg; Wheeler; Stamkos; Frolik; Neal ; Boedker; Berglund

D: Doughty; Schenn

G: Mason

Once again, someone is going to be left off. As pointed out, no Ryan (not sure how much the recent scoring surge and perhaps fewer games played factored in; no Grabovski - Schenn on the team, plus perhaps the suspension.

How about Hunwick; left off since Wheeler is representing Boston?
addn: No Goligoski - he is the leading scorer among rookie dmen (although I think he played wing last night?) Although I would have thought Hunwick would have been the one there along with Doughty, FWIW.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:59 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Youngstars 10 per team:

Sophs
F: Backstrom; Lucic; Dubinsky; Little; Setoguchi; Cogliano; Raymond

D: Marc Staal; Kris Letang

G: Ersberg

Rookies
F: Versteeg; Wheeler; Stamkos; Frolik; Neal ; Boedker; Berglund

D: Doughty; Schenn

G: Mason

Once again, someone is going to be left off. As pointed out, no Ryan (not sure how much the recent scoring surge and perhaps fewer games played factored in; no Grabovski - Schenn on the team, plus perhaps the suspension.

How about Hunwick; left off since Wheeler is representing Boston?
addn: No Goligoski - he is the leading scorer among rookie dmen (although I think he played wing last night?) Although I would have thought Hunwick would have been the one there along with Doughty, FWIW.
No Ryan (25 points, +12), but the NHL made sure to sneak Stamkos (14 points, -11) in there. Too bad.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:06 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
No Ryan (25 points, +12), but the NHL made sure to sneak Stamkos (14 points, -11) in there. Too bad.
What a sham the NHL all star games are turning in to.

Old
01-09-2009, 01:10 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
I doubt that should surprise anyone even if many, including this poster, don't agree with the decision. With Schenn, his TOI and performance on the Leafs as a young dman make that selection fall into a different category than Stamkos', IMO, although as I noted above, there were several others that could have been selected.

edit: also, another reason to leave off Hunwick, it's 2 Bruins already, Lucic and Wheeler, out of 20 players

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 01-09-2009 at 01:26 PM.
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Burgh32

One could also argue that Krejci was more deserving than the two other B's who got in.

Old
01-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Burgh32

Quote:
To put an exclamation on that stats comparo, Ryan has only played 24 games to Stamkos' 40 games.

Old
01-09-2009, 06:52 PM
rockinghorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
To put an exclamation on that stats comparo, Ryan has only played 24 games to Stamkos' 40 games.
Shame on the NHL.

rockinghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:11 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimie View Post
Shame on the NHL.
I find I've been saying that quite a bit lately. <Sigh> I remember when I actually looked forward to the NHL All-star game as it used to be a pretty fun time .... now it feels like a scripted "event" -- all about the sponsors and less about the game.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:15 PM
lucas33

Hopefully next year it will be in DC so we can all vote in Green, Backstrom, Semin, Ovechkin.

There were even reports of the MTL voters bring corrupted... Cmon Bettmanm, open your eyes!

lucas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas33 View Post
Hopefully next year it will be in DC so we can all vote in Green, Backstrom, Semin, Ovechkin.

There were even reports of the MTL voters bring corrupted... Cmon Bettmanm, open your eyes!
there's no all-star game next year, and there are no plans to have it in DC anytime in the near future, and most certainly not while Abe Pollin is alive.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:21 PM
oneandonlytankers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas33 View Post

No All Star game next year due to the olympics. Once again, who cares about an all star game, it's mostly for corporate sponsorship and the game itself is boring.

oneandonlytankers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:25 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I would like to see the all star game played after the SCF. That way, injuries won't wreck your season and I can pay literally no attention to the game.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:31 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I loved Ted's remarks during intermission a few games ago. "I know a little something about computers. If it was a big deal, they (more Caps) would have been in the game". Suggesting that he could rig/automate the voting just like fans of other teams did.

Good stuff Ted.

Old
01-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
I loved Ted's remarks during intermission a few games ago. "I know a little something about computers. If it was a big deal, they (more Caps) would have been in the game". Suggesting that he could rig/automate the voting just like fans of other teams did.

Good stuff Ted.
Yeah I remember that. He said if he wanted to spend the time and money on it the Caps would have more players in the all-star game. Then he said that's not what our team is about.

I really like Ted as an owner...

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote