HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Citi Field vs. Yankee Stadium

View Poll Results: Citi Field vs. Yankee Stadium
Citi Field 62 46.97%
New Yankee Stadium 70 53.03%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-13-2009, 09:00 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
the politics of all of this really makes me not want to support either club at this point.
Yep.

01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
nyrtrublue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I'm a Met fan and I love the way Citi Field looks from the outside. Inside I think it will be a cozy atmosphere, w/ some great sighlines. I think it looks better than Yankee stadium from the outsided (I always loved Ebbets field).

that being said I have 2 problems w/ it:

1. Should have made more seats. Enough said there.

2. The Jackie Robinson Rotunda - should never be named this. should not have a statue of him. he was a DODGER not a MET. Should have been named the Tom Seaver Rotunda, and had a statue of Tom Seaver. The Greatest MET of all time. Hell I would've been happier w/ the Mike Piazza Rotunda. Jackie Robinson has no place w/ the Mets. I know what he did for baseball but, still he had nothing to do w/ the franchise. Also, if we are going to celebrate him, why not also celebrate the man who had the courage to sign him as well in Branch Rickey. Should have a statue of both of them. If it wasn't for Branch Rickey, Jackie Robinson would not even be known today. It would have happened eventually but somebody had to take a step and actually sign a colored ballplayer. But that's another Rant. It should be Named After a Met not a Dodger.

The Mets are probably just trying to appeal to more minorities so they get a more diverese fanbase that will spend money on Mets merchandise

nyrtrublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:41 AM
alkurtz

Totally disagree about the Jackie Robinson Rotunda. As Ranger fans we are heirs to a special tradition, the Original Six, that most of us regard as special and holds us to unique obligations to preserve the history of the game.

As a Mets fan, I am part of another unique tradition....that of National League baseball in New York....a tradition that predates the Yankees by a quarter of a century.

Jackie Robinson is part of that tradition. His importance in American history cannot be overstated and his role in making America more open society worthy of respect and admiration.

The Rotunda is not a way to appeal to minority fans, but a recognition of JRs role in baseball, NY, and American history. As an old NY baseball Giants fan, I am glad its there. He transcends baseball: as much as I love Seaver, et al, they are not worthy of a rotunda; a statue, yeh, but nothing more.

But lets face facts. Before Citi Field was named, there was a groundswell of support to name the stadium after JR: even as that old Giants fan, I was much in favor of that.

Once the Wilpons sold out and ran off with the cash from Citi (by the way, I hear they are in financial trouble yet again), and alienated many, they named the rotunda after JR to appease all the people coming down on them. Just a typical, cheap, second class move from my beloved Mets.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Totally disagree about the Jackie Robinson Rotunda. As Ranger fans we are heirs to a special tradition, the Original Six, that most of us regard as special and holds us to unique obligations to preserve the history of the game.

As a Mets fan, I am part of another unique tradition....that of National League baseball in New York....a tradition that predates the Yankees by a quarter of a century.

Jackie Robinson is part of that tradition. His importance in American history cannot be overstated and his role in making America more open society worthy of respect and admiration.

The Rotunda is not a way to appeal to minority fans, but a recognition of JRs role in baseball, NY, and American history. As an old NY baseball Giants fan, I am glad its there. He transcends baseball: as much as I love Seaver, et al, they are not worthy of a rotunda; a statue, yeh, but nothing more.

But lets face facts. Before Citi Field was named, there was a groundswell of support to name the stadium after JR: even as that old Giants fan, I was much in favor of that.

Once the Wilpons sold out and ran off with the cash from Citi (by the way, I hear they are in financial trouble yet again), and alienated many, they named the rotunda after JR to appease all the people coming down on them. Just a typical, cheap, second class move from my beloved Mets.

Well said

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:52 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

then where is Branch Ricky's name in all this. He is just as big a part as JR and even had a bigger part overall in baseball than JR. He also did more for the Dodgers than JR. and talking about JR than why don't we name it Moses Fleetwood Walker rotunda in honor of the first African American to ever play professional baseball.

this was a move to appease minorities plain and simple. it has nothing to do w/ the Mets, or the Mets' history. I think it should be Tom Seaver rotunda. he was the greatest MET to ever play for the organization, and was the face of the organization.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Mets fan. I just prefer the look and style of Citi Field.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:17 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Citi Field was designed after Ebbets Field... what is not classical about it?

I think Citi Field has character, and class.

In all honesty, i think the new Yankee Stadium looks and feels redundant and over done. It looks like a maximum security prison... it doesn't look inviting at all.

The only thing i dislike about Citi Field is the name.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:24 PM
alkurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
then where is Branch Ricky's name in all this. He is just as big a part as JR and even had a bigger part overall in baseball than JR. He also did more for the Dodgers than JR. and talking about JR than why don't we name it Moses Fleetwood Walker rotunda in honor of the first African American to ever play professional baseball.

this was a move to appease minorities plain and simple. it has nothing to do w/ the Mets, or the Mets' history. I think it should be Tom Seaver rotunda. he was the greatest MET to ever play for the organization, and was the face of the organization.
Field players always reap the credit while front office people fade into the background. Rickey is in the baseball HOF, however while Rickey was the enabler, something for which he deserves utmost credit, JR was the person who went out and did it.

Fleetwood Walker played briefly and was outcast (I think that's how it went). JR opened the door for what came later and was a benchmark in American History.

As for appeasing minorities, we all know how much trouble baseball is in among African-Americans, how few there are in the game and how few there are in attendance. I wish that wasn't so but it is. Having a rotunda dedicated to JR has zero to do with appeasement, will not make one bit of difference in who attends the game, and everything to do with honoring a towering figure in New York and American History.

Would love to see the Mets honor their retired numbers with statues outside CF (Seaver is my all time favorite Met) and find a way to honor others. What happened to the Met HOF, wasn't there one once but its disappeared?

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:24 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
The new Yankee Stadium is distinctive. When you look at alot of these new stadiums, most of them are outstanding, but they are also all beginning to look very similar. If you take a quick glance at Citi Field, it looks just like the Ballpark in Arlington or Coors Field or any place like that. The new Yankee Stadium actually looks like the original stadium from the outside and sort of a combination of the two on the interior. Both stadiums are going to be outstanding though, but since I'm a Yankees fan I'll definitely be going there more.

My only complaint is that I expect the upper deck at the new Yankee Stadium to be steeper than the current one..but that's the direction all of these places are going. And I will miss the mezzanine seats at Shea - great sight lines (as long as you were below about row L), cover in case of rain and relatively close to the field.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

i mean im pretty sure which ever fan you are your going to vote for your stadium haha

p.s-lets go mets!

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 08:48 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
My only complaint is that I expect the upper deck at the new Yankee Stadium to be steeper than the current one..
It's the exact opposite. The new stadium's upper deck is not as steep, which causes you to be slightly farther away, but improves the sightlines and risk of feeling you're one slip on someone's beer puke away from falling to a death in front of 56,000.

nevesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 09:13 PM
jmb9191

only problem with citi field is going to be the piece of crap team playing on it (the home team)

and I am a Met fan by the way. Sheets or bust at this point. I gave up on manny....ownership just doesn't get it. they are nothing but a small market team lost in New York.

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:36 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Gee and I would have thought a Ranger fan would stop judging something based on what something costs.
Good logic. Except it is not a sports team we are talking about. If I spent 100 million on a house, it would be better than say if you spent 60 million on a house. Its not something that can waiver like the performance of a free agent. With a building of any kind, you get what you pay for.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZherdeV View Post
It's the exact opposite. The new stadium's upper deck is not as steep, which causes you to be slightly farther away, but improves the sightlines and risk of feeling you're one slip on someone's beer puke away from falling to a death in front of 56,000.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Us Yankee fans that live here in Flushing tease our Mets fan friends by calling it "Sh-tty Field"...Lmao

I can see it out my window and it's coming along nicely. It's definitely an upgrade over Shea...but I love how the new Yankee stadium didn't change much.

Did anyone see how they starting tearing Shea apart??

Looks violent, almost. There are pieces of the roof missing and even though I'm a Yankee fan I've lived here for 30 years and it's still sad to see a landmark like that go.

-Brian

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Good logic. Except it is not a sports team we are talking about. If I spent 100 million on a house, it would be better than say if you spent 60 million on a house. Its not something that can waiver like the performance of a free agent. With a building of any kind, you get what you pay for.
Ever been to FedEx Field or the new Nationals park in DC? They both look pretty ******.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:52 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I flew over the new Yankee Stadium.Looked nice.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:53 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
As for appeasing minorities, we all know how much trouble baseball is in among African-Americans, how few there are in the game and how few there are in attendance. I wish that wasn't so but it is. Having a rotunda dedicated to JR has zero to do with appeasement, will not make one bit of difference in who attends the game, and everything to do with honoring a towering figure in New York and American History.

Would love to see the Mets honor their retired numbers with statues outside CF (Seaver is my all time favorite Met) and find a way to honor others. What happened to the Met HOF, wasn't there one once but its disappeared?
Again, it still has nothing to do for the mets.

MLB has retired his #.
The LA Dodgers (the franchise he PLAYED for) has not named anything after him
The Indians have not named anything after Larry Doby (who broke the color barrier in the AL)

Why do the Mets feel the need to do it? It is to keep certain fans happy. It's a marketing ploy. He has NOTHING to do w/ the Organization. They should Honor the players who played for this franchise first and foremost.

If they wanted to do something in honor of him, than change some naming for the Brooklyn Cyclones. at least its the burrough JR played in.

I'd rather they have named it after Doc and Daryl rotunda. At least they did something for THIS organization.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:08 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Nope. Money can't account for taste and style. I've seen some very expenses houses that are flat out atrocious.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:10 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
In the end, it's pretty much impossible to make an educated decision until you actually go and see a game in either of these parks.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:48 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
In the end, it's pretty much impossible to make an educated decision until you actually go and see a game in either of these parks.
Thats true, I just meant it to be a first impressions poll. You know, based on all the photos and stuff. Of course, no one can really tell which is better until they both open

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:29 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Sorry about bumping this but I figured some of you would be interested in going to the first game at Citi Field for pretty cheap. Granted it's not the Mets but it's not bad if you want to go just to see the ballpark.

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/pre...=.jsp&c_id=nym

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 01:12 PM
ANTC

citi field, i also just bought my season package for the mets 15 games 2 seats 600 bucks, not that bad of a price. I watched citi field be built all of last year sitting in section 45 (upper deck) of shea i have huge expectations for the stadium next year. the last game at shea was a heart breaker I could only look at citi field and hope for the best next year.

ANTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:00 PM
GarretJoseph*

I'll reserve my vote until I get to go to both ballparks when they actually play a game.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:58 PM
The Thomas J.*

I need to actually visit both of them b4 I reneder a decsion. I'm sure they are both very nice in there own individual ways.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote