HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#43 -- Penguins at Flyers -- January 13, 2009 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
01-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Jroach19

vCash: 500
we can't beat the trap!!

Jroach19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:17 PM
forzanerazzurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroach19 View Post
we can't beat the trap!!
Is that we we coudlnt beat the devils for 10 years?

What scares me is Stevens said the problem was poor board play. I thought it was pretty obvious we didnt even get any board time because of our horrible neutral zone play.

forzanerazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
Any higher than I was sitting and I would have had a birds-eye view of the game. Those opportunities were golden, he needs to convert on them. Lupul was kind of floating out there from what I saw... he seemed apathetic tonight.

Was nice to see him pot one, though. And that was a nice hit, as well. Raise that trade value!

I heard at least 2-3 other people call Jones an idiot tonight. The Crosby sucks chants were fun. The trap was boring and sucked the life out of the game.
He broke his stick on 1st opportunity. He was there he was not behind the play

Take away Knubles fluke goal and what kind of performance do you have?

Richards line MIA. Is it because of Gagne who does not look like him self lately or is it because of Mike who is holding on to the puck too long or is it because of Knuble who is constantly behind the play and can't connect 75% of his passes and does not really forecheck.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:25 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I hate losing to the Pens as much as much as any Flyer fan on this board. But look at it this way, we are 1 point out of first with 2 games in hand. The Pens are fighting for their playoff lives. You knew they were going to be a desperate team tonite and they were.
Relax people. We will kick the **** out of the Lightning on Thursday.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I hate losing to the Pens as much as much as any Flyer fan on this board. But look at it this way, we are 1 point out of first with 2 games in hand. The Pens are fighting for their playoff lives. You knew they were going to be a desperate team tonite and they were.
Relax people. We will kick the **** out of the Lightning on Thursday.
As I recall, that was the same exact situation this time last year. Pens have proven to be a 2nd half team the last couple of years (like the Phils).

Teams that have played a passive and smart game against us the past couple years have given us fits...tonight was no different.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:35 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
Pizza just got here..........Double Ham Double Mushroom with Feta......That will kill the Pain
from Me N Ed's in Burnaby? lol

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
from Me N Ed's in Burnaby? lol
That sounds more like a Panago pizza...Panago comes up with the craziest ****.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:52 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hole Sun View Post
Pizza sounds so good right now.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:30 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
or even Pizza Factory. When I used to live in Burnaby, my roommates and I used to order Artichoke Heart and Feta Cheese pizza. Damn good too.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:40 AM
Opus

Quote:
Panago pizza is some good schtuff, delicious!

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:14 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
That was the first game i was at this season that they lost in regulation.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
That was the first game i was at this season that they lost in regulation.
It was the first game in quite some time that I turned off after the first period because it was unbelievably boring and frustrating to watch.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Just a total disgusting effort !

Keep these cocky ****s at the rink and bag skate the mother ****ers

Amen Brother.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroach19 View Post
we can't beat the trap!!

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:58 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
Lupul played very poorly out there tonight. Lots of chances, and couldn't bury them. When Briere gets back, I'd demote Lupes and try Briere with Carter and Harts for a couple games.
It looks like it might be time for another line juggling.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
It looks like it might be time for another line juggling.

It saved Therrien's job for a few days. The Pittsburgh announcers sounded like they wanted to give him the Jack Adams for putting Cooke with Crosby.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:54 AM
TheFlyingP

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzanerazzurri View Post
Lately? Actually pretty much all season. I was never in favor of him being captain. I would rather have seen Kimmo take it. Richards is too young. Ive said it once and ill say it again, the captaincy went right to his head. His smirks on the ice, the way he fools around with the puck, etc. It has nothing to do with him not being a great leader, it has to do with him being 23. Give a 23 year old the captaincy on a big team like the Flyers and he will immediately become a cocky jackass.

Knuble and Gagne are great players. They have proven themselves to be consistently productive and as great as Richards has been, he hasnt proven himself yet IMO. He needs to do a better job carrying that line. Knuble and Gagne are two players who are great offensively but have always needed a good playmaker (like Briere, Forsberg, etc.) to get the job done. It dosent make them worse players, it is just their style of play. Richards has not been able to do that lately. I dont think I really need to explain it, but Richards play of late is a direct cause of Knuble and Gagnes struggles. He needs to make that pass on the numerous 2 on 1's he creates instead of making foolish low percentage flashy plays that rarely work out. I cant tell you how many times ive yelled at my TV for him to pass it to a WIDE OPEN Gagne who has a harder, more accurate shot than Richie.

His play is flawed at the moment and disappointing because we all expect so much of this talented kid. I love the guy, but lets be realistic here.
Wow, that is so moronic on so many levels.

TheFlyingP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:18 AM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
It saved Therrien's job for a few days. The Pittsburgh announcers sounded like they wanted to give him the Jack Adams for putting Cooke with Crosby.
bob errey is an arse and that staggy clown is the biggest homer there is. Easily the two most painful guys to listen to in hockey.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzanerazzurri View Post
Lately? Actually pretty much all season. I was never in favor of him being captain. I would rather have seen Kimmo take it. Richards is too young. Ive said it once and ill say it again, the captaincy went right to his head. His smirks on the ice, the way he fools around with the puck, etc. It has nothing to do with him not being a great leader, it has to do with him being 23. Give a 23 year old the captaincy on a big team like the Flyers and he will immediately become a cocky jackass.

Knuble and Gagne are great players. They have proven themselves to be consistently productive and as great as Richards has been, he hasnt proven himself yet IMO. He needs to do a better job carrying that line. Knuble and Gagne are two players who are great offensively but have always needed a good playmaker (like Briere, Forsberg, etc.) to get the job done. It dosent make them worse players, it is just their style of play. Richards has not been able to do that lately. I dont think I really need to explain it, but Richards play of late is a direct cause of Knuble and Gagnes struggles. He needs to make that pass on the numerous 2 on 1's he creates instead of making foolish low percentage flashy plays that rarely work out. I cant tell you how many times ive yelled at my TV for him to pass it to a WIDE OPEN Gagne who has a harder, more accurate shot than Richie.

His play is flawed at the moment and disappointing because we all expect so much of this talented kid. I love the guy, but lets be realistic here.
The bolded is the only thing I can slightly even kind of agree with, and that's only based on one instance I saw last night during the game. Richards went in and pretty much tried to shove the puck under MAF's pads, when all he had to do was pass it to Knuble who was wide open on the right side of the net. I believe it was fairly close to the beginning of the game in the 1st.
Aside from that, I can't find much to even remotely agree with. I'd rather have a captain that smirks and shows a "cocky" attitude, then have one that jumps people off the faceoff and punches players in the balls. He's been one of the most important players we've had, and for it only being his first season with it, I'd say he's done a damn good job of carrying the C, especially only being 23. He's gonna have it for the next 11 seasons, so I'd suggest you got used to it.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:52 AM
facts

I thought they pushed us around. the cooke goal was embarrassing. Cote's fight was disgusting as have his last five been. It says alot when metro is your best forward and alberts is your best d for the night.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
I thought they pushed us around. the cooke goal was embarrassing. Cote's fight was disgusting as have his last five been. It says alot when metro is your best forward and alberts is your best d for the night.
I wasn't able to watch the game Saturday, but I heard he kicked Deveaux's ass pretty good. And I'd have to say his fight was pretty damn respectable against Parros, especially for it being Parros. Sure he's not the best, but I respect the hell out of him for at least trying to do his job.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:43 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Richards needs a talkin' to. He just tries to do way too much. When he and Gagne were on the PK unit, he tried to make a play to set Gagne on a breakout when it was just the wrong play to make. He is completely overzealous when they play the Penguins.

Don't listen to the Pens' announcers. Most Penguins fans think that duo is a joke.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:37 AM
AaronTrieu

no one expected the pens to trap. The Flyers haven't played a trapping team is so long. It was actually smart coaching by MT. The Flyers were not prepared for it and couldn't make the on-ice adjustments. This loss stings, but the Flyers will come out stronger because of it.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Mike Richards 18

I hate the Pens annoucers as much as buffalos. all of the Pens players are all stars and when Cannon couldnt finish that goal at the begining of the game he made the wrong choice and the defense made him freeze.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
McNasty

The trap isn't some secret game plan, you just clog up the neutral zone. When you combine a trap with a team that simply wants the puck more, your going to find yourselves in trouble. Richards did not have a good game, that line is in a funk at even strength and while none of the 3 have played particularly well as of late, it starts with Knuble. He is consistently the trailer, and with Richards skating the puck out of the zone most of the time, if he gets forced to dump it in its usually Gagne going to retrieve it. Gagne is a great player, who does a lot of things well, but I don't consider him good at winning battles along the boards. The other problem is that once they set up, they pretty much exclusively work behind the net. Pretty tough to score from back there.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote