HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone have info on O'byrne?

Old
01-12-2009, 10:50 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Anyone have info on O'byrne?

How's he doing in the minors? I see he's got 6 games played, 0 points, 0 plus minus but stats don't say everything. He's not a point producer but does anyone watch hamilton games and know if he's playing some solid hockey? I know he's the last thing on anyone's mind but still, let's avoid the o'byrne sucks comments. He may very well be a full time roster player next year for us or maybe even return this year, we don't know yet, anything's possible.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
I'm sure getting send down was probably a downer for him much like it was fox MaxPac.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
zurg999

Lever said on Friday he was happy to have him back for the physical play and mentioned that the other big D seem to be taking a cue from that.

Hamilton's defense is huge with O'B, Belle, Henry and Dan Jan. Belle is listed at 6'1" but looks and plays like 6'5". Similar to the Calder Cup run team in the way they punish opposition forwards down low.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:50 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
How's he doing in the minors? I see he's got 6 games played, 0 points, 0 plus minus but stats don't say everything. He's not a point producer but does anyone watch hamilton games and know if he's playing some solid hockey? I know he's the last thing on anyone's mind but still, let's avoid the o'byrne sucks comments. He may very well be a full time roster player next year for us or maybe even return this year, we don't know yet, anything's possible.
I've been keeping a close eye on him since I think I've become president and sole memeber of the Ryan O'Byrne fan club. He's looked better with each passing game, has actually had some shots on goal, one or two big hits, he was out there in the final minute on Friday night when trying to protect the SO for Lacasse. But he still at times struggles with passing it up the boards for an icing.

The Habs will need to make a decision on him soon since he is not in Hamilton on loan, he's down for a conditioning stint which is only 2 weeks but can be longer if he agrees to it, as he will still get paid his NHL salary.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Who cares,he will soon be a member of the tampa bay lightning

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:27 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I've been keeping a close eye on him since I think I've become president and sole memeber of the Ryan O'Byrne fan club. He's looked better with each passing game, has actually had some shots on goal, one or two big hits, he was out there in the final minute on Friday night when trying to protect the SO for Lacasse. But he still at times struggles with passing it up the boards for an icing.

The Habs will need to make a decision on him soon since he is not in Hamilton on loan, he's down for a conditioning stint which is only 2 weeks but can be longer if he agrees to it, as he will still get paid his NHL salary.
If OByrne does improve his play with the puck and gains in confidence, then we'll be thankful that BG kept him. Big guys with that kind of mobility are hard to find.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:33 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
If OByrne does improve his play with the puck and gains in confidence, then we'll be thankful that BG kept him. Big guys with that kind of mobility are hard to find.
Count me in too.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:38 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

I still have hope for him considering I think his problem was confidence. That's why I've never been against trading for Kaberle since I think he would be the perfect partner for O'Byrne just as Markov is the perfect compliment to Komisarek. I guess time will tell if he can become more than a board dumping Dman.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Bullsmith

I'm in the O'B fan club, but my expectations aren't that high: NHLer yes, top 4 not so sure.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think O'b will be a good 2nd pair d-man in 2-3 years, he was pretty solid last year, and I think he may have come into this year a bit overconfident and lost his focus at times. He'd play well for 90% of the game and would make a bid mistake and everybody would be on him, like the NYI "own goal", the Frantzen give away and the Kessel deke at the blue line.

I have no problem if he is traded, as long as it's for a good return, if he is a thow in to a trade then it's dumb.

Old
01-13-2009, 08:57 AM
HotHabsFan*

he has to get back to the o'byrne from hamilton, that made really hard hits!!!

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
he has to get back to the o'byrne from hamilton, that made really hard hits!!!
The O'byrne in Montreal made really hard hits too. that's not why he's back down there.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:56 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The O'byrne in Montreal made really hard hits too. that's not why he's back down there.
when was that ? oh yeah in early 2008 against Florida. ever since that hit he has been going downhill.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:21 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'm definitely a member of the O'BYrne fan club, so hoping he comes back on fire so we dont see Brisebois.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
when was that ? oh yeah in early 2008 against Florida. ever since that hit he has been going downhill.
He's had an up and down year, but his physical game is what kept him here so long. We missed him in games like the Toronto one.

Old
01-13-2009, 03:19 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
I'm in the O'B fan club, but my expectations aren't that high: NHLer yes, top 4 not so sure.
Agreed. I'm thinking Hal Gill if he improves his positioning. He's never really shown any offensive capability - leading the rush, big shot, etc. His footwork isn't going to get much better, he's a big guy and not exactly the speediest skater. But defensively he can become a very imposing player if he works on positioning.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Maxpac

If he would just find a constent mean streak in his game he woudn't be in the AHL right now. GROW SOME BALLS BUDDY!

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:38 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Who cares,he will soon be a member of the tampa bay lightning
He'll be back up with Hamrlik after Captain Kelowna becomes a member of the Lightning.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:47 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
He'll be back up with Hamrlik after Captain Kelowna becomes a member of the Lightning.
I hope BG looks at all other options before he would deal Gorges. IMO this guys your everyday go to player. He is steady and consistent and will be a solid 3/4 dman for many years.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Habbadasher

Count me as another O'Bie fan, I hope he makes it.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

He should fight more often. With the shape he have, it might give him more tools to make the NHL and rebuild his confidence at the same time.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:15 AM
peperebougon*

Let's all send positive vibes to O'bee!!!! I really liked him last year. We need his big body out there... Go O'bee!!!!

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote