HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Game #45 - 01.13.09 | NY Rangers @ NY Islanders | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
01-14-2009, 01:45 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
You know what, for the most part I respect most of you and considering the rivalry, shots are supposed to given and taken.

But give me a break Jonathan. Do I need to pull up videos from 2001 when the Islanders and their fans invaded MSG like it was the Colisuem on a Saturday night?

This **** has been going on for a while. The Islanders have been a terrible team for a long time now, but don't start putting the word FAN in quotations. The Islanders have plenty of fans, but we're a seriously bruised bunch and at this point - I have no idea how any Ranger fan should see it differently. Look at what we put up with.. it's not fair. It's that simple, but don't question any team's fandom.

I can take a potshot, but I can't take questioning loyalty. There's plenty of us here, believe me.. but it's not exactly rocket science on why we don't show up. Come on man.

As for the game, Lundqvist is the ****. Really ends there, I would LOVE to be able to watch such a gifted athlete daily. You guys are very lucky, and that's an understatement. His lateral ability is disgustingly clutch.
This guy does have a point, sort of.

But hey, look at the brightside, my fishy friend: I think you guys are finally, finally on something near the right track. In fact, I envy you. I wish we were on the same track (though many, many stations ahead).

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Macke*

Naslund and Gomez(Despite Gomez putting up points) are really in a slump.. Couple times tonight where Naslund would ahve got a couple points tonight but the puck just didn't get put away.

I'd like to see Naslund with Drury next game.. or maybe Dubi and Zherdev again..that line was great for a week or so.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:36 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
BTW, I think we all got a pretty darn good glimpse of how much better Mark Streit is than Redden. Streit creates chances almost every single time he's on the ice. Meanwhile, we're thrilled when Redden completes basic tasks that are expected from any third-pairing defenseman in the NHL.
I'm gonna play a little Devil's Advocate here and make an argument for Redden here.

Streit's been in pressure-free situations last year and this year. Last year, he contributed to the Habs as a 7th d-man and a 3rd/4th line forward. This year he's on a team where he's surrounded by nothing, they're in dead last and they've been pretty bad for awhile, and the fans have absolutely no expectations. He's in a great position to really do whatever the hell he wants, and when a player is loose like that and has talent it's going to shine.

It's a what if scenario, yeah, but put Redden in Streit's shoes and he might be having a very solid year. He's more of a complete defenseman that thinks defense at this point of his career, so I don't think you'd see quite the same #'s or anything. But you put Streit in a Rangers uni, we're probably sitting here badmouthing (well, most of us, I personally have a hard time faulting Redden or Kalinin, it's not like they aren't busting their ***** out there) him saying we should've signed this guy and that guy instead. They've mentioned it ONCE or TWICE on HNL on MSG, but I really think there's an assimilation process for players like Kalinin and Redden, who spent their entire careers in small cities to this point, to come play for the Rangers. It takes a toll, and I'm not feeling sorry for them but sometimes I feel like the only person in the tri-state area that takes a step back sometimes and remembers that these guys are humans too.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:38 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Gomez did make a nice pass to Drury, but on the whole, this was yet another terrible game for him. Tons of pointless shots, several terrible turnovers, that horrible offensive zone power play. It's every game with him.

Overall, I think it's very funny that MSG and the team is trying to play it off like this is exactly what they wanted, low-scoring wins. They were dominated for much of the game by the worst team in the league and owe the victory to Lundqvist who was outstanding.

One of Dubi's best games in a while, that move he pulled before he sent the pass across the slot to Prucha that #25 almost scored on was a beauty, as was the pass itself. Callahan was the Rangers best skater tonight.

BTW, I think we all got a pretty darn good glimpse of how much better Mark Streit is than Redden. Streit creates chances almost every single time he's on the ice. Meanwhile, we're thrilled when Redden completes basic tasks that are expected from any third-pairing defenseman in the NHL.
The Islanders dominated the first period, that's about it. Don't give them so much credit. While we played a conservative game the rest of the way through we really didn't give them much after the 1st intermission.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:55 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
The Islanders dominated the first period, that's about it. Don't give them so much credit. While we played a conservative game the rest of the way through we really didn't give them much after the 1st intermission.
On the other hand, how much credit should we give our own team? How much did we create and how much could we test their goaltenders? Not much. Islanders had the better overall game in practically every aspect (creating quality chances, shots, crashing the net, hitting, pace), while we had the better goaltender.

I don't hold a grudge for it though, it has almost always looked like this. Islanders have outworked us a majority of the games between us. It's like they wake up and play the game of their lives when we face eachother, then it's back to "normality".

We handled ourselves better defensively than before, which has been the pattern of these last couple of games. Our real problem now, as before, is our complete inability to create scoring opportunities and actually scoring at those. And yeah, our PP is still bloody awful. We were supposed to be a speedy, north-south team this season, but I haven't seen much of that. We are more of the team that has to react to the other teams' tactics, instead of the other way around. It's we who are constantly caught on our heels.

This team is concerningly enough still a one trick pony. Lundqvist. If he stands on his head, we have a chance to win. If not, we lose. It's not good and we all know it.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-14-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
This guy does have a point, sort of.

But hey, look at the brightside, my fishy friend: I think you guys are finally, finally on something near the right track. In fact, I envy you. I wish we were on the same track (though many, many stations ahead).
You do realize that the track the Islanders are on is most likely going to end at the absolute bottom of the standings, right? I guess this means that you are a believer in the Tavares/Hedman hype, then. Was Tampa on the right track last year when the rails were leading to Stamkos?

Call me crazy, but I'll take a trip to the playoffs (where literally anything can happen) over a blue-chip prospect any day. Expressing envy for the worst team in the league is just absolutely laughable.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:34 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

This is Tom Renney hockey.Close 1 goal games.The Rangers were not in playoff position at this point last season and turned their season around by playing close conservative hockey.When Renney talks about liking the Rangers game right now,he likes it because they have allowed 2 goals in 4 games if you take out the Montreal debacle where Henrik was terrible.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:41 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

simple observations from last nights game.

we were not ready for the start of that game. again. out worked, out hustled, out chanced seems to be par for the course for this group. hank saved us from being down 2 or even 3 goals early.

mark striet is good. he creates from the blue line, something we do not have. period. in fact, the whole islanders d get involved in the play. i like that kind of hockey. kinda like anti-renney hockey. its fun and doesnt always mean its bad since our defense play ultra conservative and still manages to give up loads of odd man chances against.

ryan callahan is a hockey player. period. that pass he made to dawes was pure. fake the shot and right on the tape.

did you guys watch nigel on that goal? he is a true sniper because he knows what to do with the pill when he gets the chance. he doesnt control the puck or over handle it, he snaps it. that shot had a goal scorers touch, he almost redirected it or pushed it in rather than shot it. he is a finisher. always has been. we need to keep him and let him develop and hell eventually get 30.

redden and rozy both play like they are afraid of making a mistake. renney has beaten them down and they are both like robots trying to play the whole game like its the last minute of play.

renney had the 4th line out there with 2:10 left last night. again, sorry but you do not put your weakest players on the ice with 2 minutes to go in a 2-1 game. if you must play betts- then shorten the bench and play him with someone other than colton friggin orr.

i like dimitri kalinin. i just do. i swear, hes no worse than redden or rozy. the guy can play and no matter what, compared to the money we are playing those 2 clowns, hes a steal. mara too. love him. imagine this team with striet and orpik instead of redden and rozy?

the end of that game was a mess. we miss and open net chance and then give up a near 2 on 1 the other way and force hank to make what 4 big saves to preserve the win. bad. and renney still seems to be a deer in the headlights when its crunch time.

irregardless of the record, the isle play us tough in their building. thats a given. but, and this is important, we always play the same game no matter who we play. dont buy into the tough defensive game crap- like that was some renney strategy. thats the only game we have. we havent got the ability to play any other way. if we give up 2 goals or less we usually can get to a so atleast and maybe win. give up 3 and we will probably lose. 4 goals and forgedaboudit....

bottom line, we need the points. a win is a win. all of us would feel so much better though it we could just biotch slap these weaker teams and win a games 4-1 and be in control form start to finish rather than scrambling to get the win. at some point, this team needs to start making other teams respect us and after watching last nights game, we have a ways to go yet.

oh, and lets fire perry pearn and tom renney.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I'm gonna play a little Devil's Advocate here and make an argument for Redden here.

Streit's been in pressure-free situations last year and this year. Last year, he contributed to the Habs as a 7th d-man and a 3rd/4th line forward. This year he's on a team where he's surrounded by nothing, they're in dead last and they've been pretty bad for awhile, and the fans have absolutely no expectations. He's in a great position to really do whatever the hell he wants, and when a player is loose like that and has talent it's going to shine.

It's a what if scenario, yeah, but put Redden in Streit's shoes and he might be having a very solid year. He's more of a complete defenseman that thinks defense at this point of his career, so I don't think you'd see quite the same #'s or anything. But you put Streit in a Rangers uni, we're probably sitting here badmouthing (well, most of us, I personally have a hard time faulting Redden or Kalinin, it's not like they aren't busting their ***** out there) him saying we should've signed this guy and that guy instead. They've mentioned it ONCE or TWICE on HNL on MSG, but I really think there's an assimilation process for players like Kalinin and Redden, who spent their entire careers in small cities to this point, to come play for the Rangers. It takes a toll, and I'm not feeling sorry for them but sometimes I feel like the only person in the tri-state area that takes a step back sometimes and remembers that these guys are humans too.
I agree with you 100%. The performance on ice comes down to Gordon vs. Renney, not Streit vs. Redden. The Rangers, by Sather's own admission, are built to play the game the way the Isles are playing it.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:00 AM
bumrusherer

Quote:
By the same token, we often didnt give ourselves much throughout the game.

Their really is no reason for us to be counter aggressive against the worst team we will face all season.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:16 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
You do realize that the track the Islanders are on is most likely going to end at the absolute bottom of the standings, right? I guess this means that you are a believer in the Tavares/Hedman hype, then. Was Tampa on the right track last year when the rails were leading to Stamkos?

Call me crazy, but I'll take a trip to the playoffs (where literally anything can happen) over a blue-chip prospect any day. Expressing envy for the worst team in the league is just absolutely laughable.
Amen! Good post.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:21 AM
gravytrain6t

Not too mention and I'm not bashing the Islanders here or anything. The truth is just that. But besides these dead last finishes. They have the worst arena in the NHL. They might want to think about getting on track with that as well.

Old
01-14-2009, 08:24 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
By the same token, we often didnt give ourselves much throughout the game.

Their really is no reason for us to be counter aggressive against the worst team we will face all season.
The Islanders will never be the worst team we face all season. They play like its game 7 of the Cup finals every time we face them.

Old
01-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
simple observations from last nights game.

we were not ready for the start of that game. again. out worked, out hustled, out chanced seems to be par for the course for this group. hank saved us from being down 2 or even 3 goals early.
Eh, actually no. The Rangers came out strong and dominated the first 5-10 minutes or so. Had some good chances, limited the Isles, but then took a penalty and got caught up in playing "chase" hockey instead of playing their game. That's when the Isles got the better of them for the rest of the period.

So I wouldn't say they weren't ready to start the game, I'd say they got off their gameplan after a good start. In the second and third period, they got back on it pretty much and limited the Isles the rest of the way while getting good chances of their own. They pretty much outplayed the isles for 45 out of 60 minutes.

My biggest gripe was that there were periods of inactivity where they weren't letting the Isles get anything going, but weren't generating pressure themselves. It was just kind of boring hockey.

More cycling pressure would be nice.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

oh, and lets fire perry pearn and tom renney.
Same old same old from you. I'll tell ya this, i'd rather watch our 'boring' 2-1 wins all year long than read more whining rants like yours.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Same old same old from you. I'll tell ya this, i'd rather watch our 'boring' 2-1 wins all year long than read more whining rants like yours.
We win too boringly.

Score goals that aren't highlight film worthy enough.

01-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Please I freaking beg someone to argue this points with me

The Capt is the worst in team history totally sucks
We are out muscled by a group of girl scouts
Our defense shy's away from getting hit and turns the puck over
This team is out in the first round if we even make it the way they float
Same captain that scored the tying goal?

Man, reading through the first period comments you realize how many poser Ranger fans there are on this board.

Old
01-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
We win too boringly.

Score goals that aren't highlight film worthy enough.
Bottom line, we're a winning team, no matter how that is happening. Never gonna be the 80's Oilers but we can be one of the better defensive teams in the league and after many miserable offerings pre lockout, this team and the way it plays should be no surprise to anyone. Accept it for what it is or drive yourself crazy, is it really a hard choice?

We all know this animal, so anyone coming here day after day to rail against it has a few screws loose

Old
01-14-2009, 10:29 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Same captain that scored the tying goal?

Man, reading through the first period comments you realize how many poser Ranger fans there are on this board.
We know BN. You are a superior Ranger fan because you call out other "less" superior Ranger fans who show frustration after a bad period. Keep up the good work.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Levitate

Well most people are pretty whiny

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
We know BN. You are a superior Ranger fan because you call out other "less" superior Ranger fans who show frustration after a bad period. Keep up the good work.
We all get frustrated, but not all of us say the same old boring **** thats posted around here - "Theres Renney chewing his gum and acting smug", "Oh our captain is the worst ever", "Boo hoo, our effort isnt 100%, tear apart the whole team !", "Gomez and his giveaways!", "We are the softest team in the league!"

You're right Fly, I should aspire to be more like the above, good call

Old
01-14-2009, 10:49 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
We all get frustrated, but not all of us say the same old boring **** thats posted around here - "Theres Renney chewing his gum and acting smug", "Oh our captain is the worst ever", "Boo hoo, our effort isnt 100%, tear apart the whole team !", "Gomez and his giveaways!", "We are the softest team in the league!"

But its a message board...what else do you expect?

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:50 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:

Oh, you, and your eternal optimism!

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:52 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:

I said from the 1st game we were gonna win a lot of 2-1 3-2 games. We don't score alot of goals, ok fine, but we don't play a shut down type of defense either, we let Hank win the games for us. That's not gonna get it done.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Garv23

The most frustrating part about watching the Rangers lately is having to sit through that ****in John Basedow commercial 6 times a game.

Other than that I wasn't suprised with how this game went and I'm suprised that people were suprised. For years, every Ranger/Isles game have been tight like this.

2 pts. baby! That's all that matters.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote