Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wondering Giordanos upside?

Old
01-09-2009, 10:02 AM
The Fuhr*

vCash: 500
Wondering Giordanos upside?

Been following him all season for fantasy team and noticed his ice time and PP duty is all over the place game to game.

Was wondering what his offensive potential is?
And will he be a top four defenseman?

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Congo

I can see his offensive potential being in the 40-50pts range. He's never going to be a Mike Green-esque PP beast, and he can't rush the puck quite like some other defencemen like Campbell. That said, he's got very good vision, and I'd argue that he's got some very good hands for what he's doing.

Also, I can see him becoming a top-4 defenceman very soon. This is largely because he's a downright incredible skater. In fact, I would argue that he's the best skater on the Flames. He's not the fastest, but speed isn't the hallmark of a good skater. Giordano always has near-perfect balance, and shifts himself from any stride to another at a moment's notice, and does so VERY smoothly. If Playfair can teach him to be more of a smart defenceman in the vein of Lidstrom, then Giordano's mobility will almost guarantee he'll hold a top 4 spot.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo View Post
I can see his offensive potential being in the 40-50pts range. He's never going to be a Mike Green-esque PP beast, and he can't rush the puck quite like some other defencemen like Campbell. That said, he's got very good vision, and I'd argue that he's got some very good hands for what he's doing.

Also, I can see him becoming a top-4 defenceman very soon. This is largely because he's a downright incredible skater. In fact, I would argue that he's the best skater on the Flames. He's not the fastest, but speed isn't the hallmark of a good skater. Giordano always has near-perfect balance, and shifts himself from any stride to another at a moment's notice, and does so VERY smoothly. If Playfair can teach him to be more of a smart defenceman in the vein of Lidstrom, then Giordano's mobility will almost guarantee he'll hold a top 4 spot.
I think you're slightly overstating his potential and offensive productionl.

Giordano right now is a #5/#6 defenceman. He might be a #4 defenceman, but I see him staying as a #5 guy. He's a bit similar to Joe Corvo, as both are good skaters, make good first passes, and have a bit of flair. Giordano, though, doesn't have Corvo's shot.

Giordano isn't an overly big or physical player, but he's adequate. His defensive instincts at time can be questionable, which ultimately will limit him to being a #5 guy. He provides a great effort, though, each game.

I think his offensive potential is around 30 to 35 points.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Lunatik*

its pretty simple to me... Mark Giordano = Andrew Ference... they play almost the same game... and will have similar careers

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:06 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I think you're slightly overstating his potential and offensive productionl.

Giordano right now is a #5/#6 defenceman. He might be a #4 defenceman, but I see him staying as a #5 guy. He's a bit similar to Joe Corvo, as both are good skaters, make good first passes, and have a bit of flair. Giordano, though, doesn't have Corvo's shot.

Giordano isn't an overly big or physical player, but he's adequate. His defensive instincts at time can be questionable, which ultimately will limit him to being a #5 guy. He provides a great effort, though, each game.

I think his offensive potential is around 30 to 35 points.
I like the sounds of that. Solid bottom pairing guy + PP duty.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:29 PM
cross16

I think Gio is what he is and there really isn't much potential there. He is a 5/6 2nd unit PP guy. Will never be that good defensivly but should be good for between 5-10 goals a year plus 30 ish points.

I really don't see any potential in him for more.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Congo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
I think Gio is what he is and there really isn't much potential there. He is a 5/6 2nd unit PP guy. Will never be that good defensivly but should be good for between 5-10 goals a year plus 30 ish points.

I really don't see any potential in him for more.
I don't know. I tend to be a firm believer that skating is the most important skill in hockey, and because of that I'm very optimistic because of Giordano's superb skating ability.

Old
01-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Body Checker

Giordano is a bonafide top four defenseman. He is a "new NHL' type of defenseman.

It is because he was an undrafted free agent that people can't swallow their pride and admit he is top 4.

I am tired of draft status determining a guy's reputation and salary. For example Jordan Staal at 22 points and being a top 5 pick just resigned for $4 million a year. David Moss with 20 points and comparable style of play will be lucky to see over $1.5million.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:23 AM
cross16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Giordano is a bonafide top four defenseman. He is a "new NHL' type of defenseman.

It is because he was an undrafted free agent that people can't swallow their pride and admit he is top 4.

I am tired of draft status determining a guy's reputation and salary. For example Jordan Staal at 22 points and being a top 5 pick just resigned for $4 million a year. David Moss with 20 points and comparable style of play will be lucky to see over $1.5million.

Has nothing to do with it.

It has everything to do with the fact that Gio struggle with higher minutes, struggled with better players, and still hasn't learned enough defensive responsibility to be considered as a top 4 dman.

I think the bigger questions is what is wrong with just admiting that someone is a depth puck moving dman that can run a PP? Thats a big asset in today's NHL. its not like by saying Gio is not a top 4 that someone people are saying he isn't usefull to the team. I am very happy to have Gio because he gives the team an element, for cheap too i might add, they didn't have in previous seasons.

Old
01-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Congo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
It has everything to do with the fact that Gio struggle with higher minutes, struggled with better players, and still hasn't learned enough defensive responsibility to be considered as a top 4 dman.
This will be his second season in the NHL. He's only 25. To be exact, he's 1 1/2 years older than our beloved Dion. How come we continually look at Dion and say, "It's only his third season, he's still getting better," whereas we look at Giordano and say "He's hit his ceiling, he'll never be better." Heck, I would argue that a lot of great defenceman (Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Stevens, Daneyko) actually got better around 25-30. I mean, they went from "Really good" to "Game changers," during that period, but I don't see why Gio can't go from "Good," to "Pretty good."

I'm not saying that at this moment he's a top-4 defenceman, what I'm saying is that Playfair's coaching will determine if he remains a depth guy or if he becomes a Top-4 guy that you don't mind on the penalty kill. He doesn't have the frame to be a physical shut-down man ala Regehr, so it depends if Playfair can teach him to be smart positionally, and smart with his stick. If Playfair can't do that, then this is Gio's ceiling right now. If he can, I can see him being a legitimate third defenceman.

Old
01-10-2009, 12:51 PM
cross16

Quote:
This will be his second season in the NHL. He's only 25. To be exact, he's 1 1/2 years older than our beloved Dion. How come we continually look at Dion and say, "It's only his third season, he's still getting better," whereas we look at Giordano and say "He's hit his ceiling, he'll never be better." Heck, I would argue that a lot of great defenceman (Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Stevens, Daneyko) actually got better around 25-30. I mean, they went from "Really good" to "Game changers," during that period, but I don't see why Gio can't go from "Good," to "Pretty good."

I'm not saying that at this moment he's a top-4 defenceman, what I'm saying is that Playfair's coaching will determine if he remains a depth guy or if he becomes a Top-4 guy that you don't mind on the penalty kill. He doesn't have the frame to be a physical shut-down man ala Regehr, so it depends if Playfair can teach him to be smart positionally, and smart with his stick. If Playfair can't do that, then this is Gio's ceiling right now. If he can, I can see him being a legitimate third defenceman.
Because you have to look at his game. You can teach defensive zone coverage, but not defensive zone instincts. Look at Phaneuf for a second. Here is a guy that has been defensive instincts than Gio, and look at what adapting his game has done to him this year.

I'm not saying that Gio won't improve and that he is what he is right now. I'm just saying dont' expect him to move into being a top 4 dman. He doesnt have the frame, size, or physicality to play against better opponents, and IMO is not even close to having the defensive awareness to make up for his lack of size/physicality. Thats why I don't see him improved. If he had 1 of those 2 things yes. But IMO, you can't teach a person with bad instincits to suddenly be a great defensive dman.

And also, i don't see the need to try and change Gios game. Gio is a great asset to have just like he is right now. Don't mess with it. I'm ok with them messing with Phaneuf because of the high end potential he has. But i'd rather let Gio play his game becuase he is a huge asset just like he is. Not every player has to improve to be usefull to the team.

Old
01-14-2009, 03:10 AM
tfong

I think Gio, at the rate he is improving at, could become a good 2nd pairing dman. He lacks something I can't identify to be able to call him elite or a first pairing d man though.

Something along of wanting to see if he has gamebreaking abilities or not I guess is the closest I can think.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:

First of all, Giordano will never even begin to compare with Lidstrom, Niedermayer and Stevens. These are the elite - those who win Stanley Cups, Olympic Gold medals and Norris trophies. (Not sure why Daneyko's name came up.) However, he should continue to improve as he learns more about the game. A seasoned vet to pair with him, mentor him and be a roommate on roadtrips would address that issue. Think the point that needs to be driven home is that the time in the Russian League may have helped his wallet and prevented his pride from being wounded by possible trips back down to the AHL, it hampered his development.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote