HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Fess up: who did you really think would win the cup?

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I believe I predicted Ottawa vs Detroit with, I think, Ottawa winning.

Oh, but I was young and foolish then!

Old
08-03-2004, 09:21 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
you are really underrating both their talent and contributions just because of one bad season together. i dont understand why eveyrone seems to be writing them off now, they did very well in anaheim with not much supporting cast. i think the fact that they got that far with guy hebert in net is amazing in it by itself.
I can understand people being down on Selanne more than Kariya. They both still have world class talent and, especially in Kariya's case, the ability to be superstars. I'd bank on Kariya having a very good season provided he lands in a good situation. That situation could even be Colorado. Can't blame the guy for not producing when he wasn't playing. Selanne just... didn't work out last year. Doesn't mean he can't go somewhere else and play well. Hell, with a new coach and some changes, he could even work out in Colorado yet.

Old
08-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Of course they didn't have everyone at the start of the season, but going into the playoffs, and even pre-season.....Their team was not only loaded with front-end talent/superstars, but what appeared to be an extremely well balanced mixture of vets/young players.

And if yuo do not recognize the people on the third and fourth lines......well then, your loss. You can't have stars on each line. This was an extremely deep and powerful team on paper. Unfortunately, they were lead by an inept coach, and never managed to get any sort of chemistry with the new arrivals.
I agree that coaching seems to have been the major problem. It sure as hell wasn't goaltending. They suffered lots of injuries but had the talent and depth to play through it.

Colorado may not have had the best 3rd/4th lines and bottom-pair defense, but I agree with you that they were more than enough to get the job done -- especially after the trades. Konowalchuk and Gratton sure form the basis of a solid third line.

It takes a special coach to work with that much talent. Frankly, I think it is easier to coach a team of scrubs than a team like Colorado.

Old
08-04-2004, 01:15 AM
HfxMoose

The Senators of course. Only team I was afraid of was the Leafs and of course they met in the first round and the rest is history.

Old
08-04-2004, 01:50 AM
BugsyMalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Few of us predicted Tampa (although Tampa was clearly a deserving champ).

So, who did you really pick and what assumptions did you make that turned out to be wrong?

For the third year in a row, my pre-season pick was Ottawa. I though Bonk, Phillips, and Lalime would all take the next step (and, of course, Bonk and Lalime both when in the opposite direction). And, I thought Varada and Fisher were going to provide them with the plumbers they seemed to desperately need.
Ottawa. They were so close to beating NJ the year before and I thought they learned a lot in that series. Guess I was wrong!

Old
08-04-2004, 04:48 AM
fcbarcelona

this thread is ****** depressing for us avs fans.

Old
08-04-2004, 06:23 AM
hockeytown9321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Of course they didn't have everyone at the start of the season, but going into the playoffs, and even pre-season.....Their team was not only loaded with front-end talent/superstars, but what appeared to be an extremely well balanced mixture of vets/young players.

And if yuo do not recognize the people on the third and fourth lines......well then, your loss. You can't have stars on each line. This was an extremely deep and powerful team on paper. Unfortunately, they were lead by an inept coach, and never managed to get any sort of chemistry with the new arrivals.
Never said I didn't recognize the 3rd and 4th line guys, just that they're not very good. I would rather play 3 centers than give Gratton any ice time. Depth is what Detroit has. Depending on what day it is, their 4th line cener is either Kris Draper or Steve Yzerman. Thats depth.

Old
08-04-2004, 06:26 AM
hockeytown9321

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
you are really underrating both their talent and contributions just because of one bad season together. i dont understand why eveyrone seems to be writing them off now, they did very well in anaheim with not much supporting cast. i think the fact that they got that far with guy hebert in net is amazing in it by itself.
Trust me, I'm not judging them based on last season. I thought they were overrated long before that.

Closed Thread