HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible dispersal draft with the Coyotes-Rangers interests

Old
01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
chew on this: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2009

NAS last 5 years:

'04: #28 '05: nil '06: 25 '07: 23 '08: 27

Nashville is always good with attendance?
Look at the percentages. I never said they sold out every game, but there are always several teams who have bigger attendance problems than they do. Again, attendance has never been the big problem in Nashville. It's corporate support, and now, in a weak economy, it's an even bigger issue, not just in Nashville either, I'm sure.

To get back on topic, though, is this even worth discussing at this stage? This is such raw information, and we really don't have any idea what form this situation is going to take on. I wouldn't bet on a dispersal draft though, nor would I bet on contraction. Relocation before contraction, no doubt.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 04:03 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Coyotes lost some of their revenue sharing from last season:

Quote:
Burnside reports the Coyotes were penalized 25% of their portion of the revenue-sharing pot last season. Teams can only collect their share of the revenue-sharing money if they attain certain revenue and attendance targets.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2629...=headlines_nhl

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Biggest surprise to me on that chart: NJD #5 in road attendance average. I wonder what's driving that?
Pittsburgh at 22 is more surprising

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 05:35 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Look at the percentages. I never said they sold out every game, but there are always several teams who have bigger attendance problems than they do. Again, attendance has never been the big problem in Nashville. It's corporate support, and now, in a weak economy, it's an even bigger issue, not just in Nashville either, I'm sure.

To get back on topic, though, is this even worth discussing at this stage? This is such raw information, and we really don't have any idea what form this situation is going to take on. I wouldn't bet on a dispersal draft though, nor would I bet on contraction. Relocation before contraction, no doubt.
ok, by percentage in 08 they are 84% at home which is 24th. I think corporate sponsorship and ticket sales are probably pretty close as far as fluctuations from year to year. If the team is good, they both go up and vice versa.

This isn't just about the Preds, it's about some very poor decisions during the '90s that were made as far as the number of teams in the league, the locations for expansion and relocation, etc. It's not a fluke or a trick with numbers when the bottom 1/3rd of the league for attendance are mostly in the sunbelt. The lack of revenue impacts their rosters which impacts revenue. This is Bettman's legacy, he hoped for a big TV contract but he'll never let one of these franchises fold under his watch. It would confirm the utter failure of his gamble.

At any rate, the best thing we could hope for is Don Maloney returning to MSG and taking over the GM duties. Any draft will not see us near the top no matter how its conducted.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:46 AM
MTK

attendence numbers are like +/- it is a bad way to evaluate.

Capacity % is what to go by in looking at attendence since every arena has different amout of space.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attend..._pct&year=2009
look at %. Isles are no where close to the bottom. If they sold out every game they would not make the top 20 due to only fitting 16,200.

PHX looks to be in real trouble and having the league approve all transactions is a big issue. Like someone said before Bettman will not admit a mistake. The guy approved franchises to all these hot areas with people having little to no interest to the sport in the area.

They would be moved somewhere. Hopefully bringing the Whalers back to the NHL. I can dream.

Also, Jim Basille needs to worry about his stock rather then getting an NHL team.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:53 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAUTIKA16 View Post
attendence numbers are like +/- it is a bad way to evaluate.

Capacity % is what to go by in looking at attendence since every arena has different amout of space.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attend..._pct&year=2009
look at %. Isles are no where close to the bottom. If they sold out every game they would not make the top 20 due to only fitting 16,200.

PHX looks to be in real trouble and having the league approve all transactions is a big issue. Like someone said before Bettman will not admit a mistake. The guy approved franchises to all these hot areas with people having little to no interest to the sport in the area.

They would be moved somewhere. Hopefully bringing the Whalers back to the NHL. I can dream.

Also, Jim Basille needs to worry about his stock rather then getting an NHL team.
I think you have to look at both. If a team has a 16,000 seat arena and only fills 14,000 seats, well, there's still 2,000 empty seats, what's to stop the other 2K from being filled? It's not like people stay away because the arena is almost sold out.

I think % is only useful when you have teams who are selling out their arena or close to it. If you are comparing two teams who are selling 18000 seats, but one has a 20K arena and one has an 18K arena, then you have an argument. However, when comparing teams who sell 17 or 18K+ seats and are at or close to capacity, with teams who have smaller arenas, but still can't sell 13K a night, capacity percentage doesn't mean a thing.

A good example would be San Jose vs. St. Louis.

San Jose sells 17.5K seats and is at 99.9% capacity while St. Louis is at 18.6K and only 88.7%. That's where the comparison makes more sense. We can say, well St. Louis sells more seats than San Jose, but San Jose can't really fit many more people anyway.

When the Isles sell 13.5K and are at 82.6% and Atlanta sells 14.4K and are at 77.5%, to me it doesn't make two s**ts difference, both aren't even coming close to selling out.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Mason530

First, they might trade away high price for low price to save cash. If that doesn't work, it would file for chapter 11 projection. That mostly likely the end of it, using Buffalo and Ottawa as example. If creditors didn't bite on any restructuring ideas, it would then be liquidated. In that case, any young players are good. Just don't take Ed Jovanoski.

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:48 PM
DutchShamrock

All of the numbers are deceptive, be it % or total attendance. They say in Phoenix they go out to the streets and hand out free tickets. Who cares how many people show up, I think the important factor is how many tickets are actually sold.

Quote:
Sources say the Coyotes are still dispensing free tickets like Pez candies in the desert, walking into restaurants and handing diners free tickets while they eat.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...pector_desert/

I'll be shocked if the Coyotes are in Phoenix next season but the prospect of contraction is not going to happen.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:01 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
All of the numbers are deceptive, be it % or total attendance. They say in Phoenix they go out to the streets and hand out free tickets. Who cares how many people show up, I think the important factor is how many tickets are actually sold.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...pector_desert/

I'll be shocked if the Coyotes are in Phoenix next season but the prospect of contraction is not going to happen.
please move them to either winnipeg hartford or quebec.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote