HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Schneider to Habs all but a done deal?

Old
01-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
That's more than Nick Kypreos offered
Didn't read the OP. So this is a Kypreos rumour, that explains it.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
I got as far as "smart general manager" before collapsing into laughter, Mike Ribero for Janne Niinimaa says hello
Well as a Leaf fan, I'm not surprised you don't know what a smart GM actually is.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I have mixed feelings about the possibility of seeing Schneider in a Habs' uniform to finish the season. He had a great year last year but he's truly struggling this season. Is it due to the fact that he's playing on an awful team or is it that age is finally catching up to him? His cap hit is his cap hit. We'd only be going after one player anyway so at the end of the season, it's irrelevant if we use it all or not.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:24 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
See, now that's thinking. Havelid would instantly make Montreal better on the PK with his superhuman shotblocking, be able to log 23+ minutes a night of extremely steady work, and probably hit some nice outlet passes.
The more I think about the Havelid scenario, the more I see how he fits perfectly of what Montreal is looking for. Obviously there are better options out there like Kaberle and Bouwmeester, but Havelid is definitely alot cheaper(both salary wise and in his potential return), a UFA, and is a solid player. I have heard rave reviews about his shot blocking, which is a HUGE focal point of Carbonneau's defensive scheme. I have to admit, him playing in smaller markets like Atlanta and Anahiem, and him also being a late bloomer somewhat IIRC, I haven't been able to get a total feel for the type of game he plays. But he is definitely very intruiging IMO as a potential trading target for Montreal near or at the deadline.

Could you share some more qualities he displays and what kind of player he is?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:40 AM
Philanthropist

So Higgins for a guy that was free 3 months ago?

No thanks.

Philanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:45 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

usually i feel the habs want to underpay but LOL at higgins for schneider i've heard nothing but bad things about schneider this season.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:55 AM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAbbott View Post
So Higgins for a guy that was free 3 months ago?

No thanks.
Well, not exactly "free"... Now he's roughly half-price.

Schneider would help the power play a bit, but be a detriment in almost every other way. There's also the matter of cap space. And why would the Habs move Higgins for a 39yr old UFA? Try again, Kipper.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:17 AM
Goalchenyuk87

***** it. Schneider is not an offensive defenseman anymore.

Rather stay with the actual team than getting Schneider.

Breezer can do the job.

Goalchenyuk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:33 AM
bobg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
If this is in fact Schneider for Higgins Montreal will be screwed yet again in a trade.
This is a hope that Montreal trades higgins for a washed up d-man. The Canadien fans weren't willing to give up Higgins for a all-star d-man(Kaberle). I hope you overpay to the max.

bobg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Crystal Met

hey maybe the nhl scouts of the habs really sucks and thinks schneider is still good, higgins for schneidder would be a ribeiro -ninimma part II.. but i think gainey learned from that

i wish we could get jay boumeester at the deadline, tho the asking price will be high, the habs can afford it and they really need help at D.

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:23 PM
FlamesFan80

To add some fuel...

Atlanta picked up depth D Brett Skinner yesterday.

Funny enough Schneider missed the morning skate for Atlanta this morning.

Something in the works or is it all coincidence?

FlamesFan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Magnus Fulgur

The Thrashers official site blogger says that Schneider's allowed to have optional practices whenever he needs them.

Still, Atlanta is preparing to move him. There's no way on earth they resign him for next season, and there's no way on earth that they make the playoffs.

And Higgins is out of service now...

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:38 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
The more I think about the Havelid scenario, the more I see how he fits perfectly of what Montreal is looking for. Obviously there are better options out there like Kaberle and Bouwmeester, but Havelid is definitely alot cheaper(both salary wise and in his potential return), a UFA, and is a solid player. I have heard rave reviews about his shot blocking, which is a HUGE focal point of Carbonneau's defensive scheme. I have to admit, him playing in smaller markets like Atlanta and Anahiem, and him also being a late bloomer somewhat IIRC, I haven't been able to get a total feel for the type of game he plays. But he is definitely very intruiging IMO as a potential trading target for Montreal near or at the deadline.

Could you share some more qualities he displays and what kind of player he is?
Silent leader type, never takes a shift off, has had a huge impact on Toby Enstrom, has consistently led the team (and top 10 in the league) in blocked shots since he has been here, comfortable with the puck, has a decent slapper but shoots for rebounds/deflections instead of trying to paint the corners... Also I've only seen Toby have to face 1 or 2 odd-man rushes in his career and I'm pretty sure it was when the pairings got shuffled.

In summary,

Offense: 6/10
Defense: 8/10
Endurance/Durability: 9/10

Honestly the guy is probably one of the best kept secrets in the southeast simply for how consistent he is. He's like a smaller Volchenkov with more offensive ability.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote