HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Your prayers may be answered: Teppo might sit Wednesday

Old
01-13-2009, 02:49 PM
zbubble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpachoMan View Post
I'm still stunned that Ruff chose Tallinder to single out after the NYR game considering Lydman's play.
True, but how do you sit a guy who is in a Finnish mid 80's death metal band with a name that looks like it was picked by merging Mika and Noronen?

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
I'm still stunned that Ruff chose Tallinder to single out after the NYR game considering Lydman's play.
I'm not surprised as you have to take into account the paucity of defenseman they have that can adequately play the RH side. Due to that, Lydman is much more integral to remaining in the lineup than Tallinder.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
I'm not surprised as you have to take into account the paucity of defenseman they have that can adequately play the RH side. Due to that, Lydman is much more integral to remaining in the lineup than Tallinder.
paucity [paw-si-tee]
noun

- smallness of quantity; scarcity; scantiness: a country with a paucity of resources.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Husko

I don't understand why we don't put Tallinder back with Rivet. They both played their best hockey of the year when they were together at the beggining of the season. That would leave Sekera with Lydman (Sekera plays best when with a defensive rock) and Spacek with Butler.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
I don't understand why we don't put Tallinder back with Rivet. They both played their best hockey of the year when they were together at the beggining of the season. That would leave Sekera with Lydman (Sekera plays best when with a defensive rock) and Spacek with Butler.
The reasonings pretty simple in that you'd be moving Sekera back to the LH side after he's established himself on the RH and forcing Butler to swap over to the LH side.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
The reasonings pretty simple in that you'd be moving Sekera back to the LH side after he's established himself on the RH and forcing Butler to swap over to the LH side.

what we should see is:
Spacek-Sekera
Tallinder-Lydman
Butler-Rivet

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Megaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
That's just not always the case when you can't match up on the road or during the second period when you have the long way to get to the bench and can't get off the ice. There were at least a handfull of times I saw Butler out against Hossa and Datsuyk in the Red Wings game. The d-pair changes overlap more than the forwards. I'll give you the minutes, but to say he *only* plays against 3rd and 4th lines is just not accurate. Sometimes you get caught and you just have to play against whomever is out there.
It pretty much is the case, really. Butler played less against Datsyuk than he played against any other forward on the Red Wings. He also played less against him than any other Sabres defenseman. Obviously in any game the players end up on the ice against all the other players to a certain degree. I will grant you that no defenseman only plays against the 3rd and 4th lines because of changes. But even on the road, Ruff pretty much keeps Butler away from the first and second lines.

At even strength Butler played only 2.2 minutes against Datsyuk and 3.7 against Zetterberg, while Sekera played 8 against Datsyuk and 8.2 against Zetterberg. And given the fact that Butler doesn't play on special teams while Sekera is a regular on the penalty kill, their ice time versus top offensive players would have been even more skewed than that.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:46 PM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGR
It looks like Chris Butler is going to sit this one out along with Nathan Paetsch and Andrew Peters. Lindy Ruff did not confirm those scratches, but everything from the morning skate would indicate that.
Go figure

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:41 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Go figure
Of course

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote