HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #45 - 01.13.09 | NY Rangers @ NY Islanders | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
01-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Show me one instance where I said I expected a cup in '09. My point was that if this team is as good as a third place team, then they should be expected to have a lengthy playoff run. But they aren't as good as a third place team, and that's why chances are they won't have a long playoff run. I'm tired of people telling me to look at the standings when I can just look at the product on the ice.

This teams most consistent performers ARE all the core youth of this team, but let me direct your attention to the core youth groups of teams like Chicago, Boston, Washington, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Columbus.

You want to talk about every Cup team in recent memory, well all the cup teams in recent memory have had SEVERAL franchise players that they built their club around. That's what all of these teams are doing, and that's why all of these teams are either already among the league's best or well on their way there.

While we're making small gains and hoping for big ones in the future, these other teams are already making big gains. That's because those teams took the proven method of success in professional sports, the rebuild. That's something the Rangers started, but they couldn't commit themselves to finishing it, could they? No, because they just had to make the big free agent splash. They just can't say no to buying players. And luckily for us, they decided to buy the wrong players, as well.
There is no middle ground with you and your kind of thinking, just 'tear it all down and start over these guys suck'. I'm not saying we are the best team in the league, not even in our own division(9-3 record though) i'm just excepting that we're flawed but headed in the right direction. The youth on this team concerns me most. I think we have them in a good place to learn and get better.

As for having as much young talent as other teams - we don't, and i blame Sather for not starting to rebuild when he first got here but that was many moons ago, we have to concentrate on the now - what we have and what can be built on. 29 teams in the league would LOVE to have a Lundqvist. Those same teams would kill to get a Marc Staal. Not to mention the top rated offensive rookie Dman in the "A", and a very nice looking prospect in Del Zotto. If Henke & those Dmen live up to expectations we don't need to worry so much about the other teams having such great scoring will we?

These are positives that keep me hopeful when we have a top prospect die, a top prospect bust and several other bad luck cases happen before our eyes over the years.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:08 PM
94now

Quote:
Show me one instance where I said I expected a cup in '09. My point was that if this team is as good as a third place team, then they should be expected to have a lengthy playoff run. But they aren't as good as a third place team, and that's why chances are they won't have a long playoff run. I'm tired of people telling me to look at the standings when I can just look at the product on the ice.

This teams most consistent performers ARE all the core youth of this team, but let me direct your attention to the core youth groups of teams like Chicago, Boston, Washington, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Columbus.

You want to talk about every Cup team in recent memory, well all the cup teams in recent memory have had SEVERAL franchise players that they built their club around. That's what all of these teams are doing, and that's why all of these teams are either already among the league's best or well on their way there.

While we're making small gains and hoping for big ones in the future, these other teams are already making big gains. That's because those teams took the proven method of success in professional sports, the rebuild. That's something the Rangers started, but they couldn't commit themselves to finishing it, could they? No, because they just had to make the big free agent splash. They just can't say no to buying players. And luckily for us, they decided to buy the wrong players, as well.
This is NY. We do not do many things small markets do. We use Detroit model. Detroit signs UFAs to huge contracts and succeeds in it. While NYR and TOR suck at it. It is not what you do, it is how you do it.
We've got exact the team our owner wants to have.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:11 PM
94now

Quote:
Yes, clearly it was Lundqvist who was the problem.
Yes, he was. Gomez and Redden are our grief at this point. They no loger matter.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
simple observations from last nights game.

we were not ready for the start of that game. again. out worked, out hustled, out chanced seems to be par for the course for this group. hank saved us from being down 2 or even 3 goals early.

mark striet is good. he creates from the blue line, something we do not have. period. in fact, the whole islanders d get involved in the play. i like that kind of hockey. kinda like anti-renney hockey. its fun and doesnt always mean its bad since our defense play ultra conservative and still manages to give up loads of odd man chances against.

ryan callahan is a hockey player. period. that pass he made to dawes was pure. fake the shot and right on the tape.

did you guys watch nigel on that goal? he is a true sniper because he knows what to do with the pill when he gets the chance. he doesnt control the puck or over handle it, he snaps it. that shot had a goal scorers touch, he almost redirected it or pushed it in rather than shot it. he is a finisher. always has been. we need to keep him and let him develop and hell eventually get 30.

redden and rozy both play like they are afraid of making a mistake. renney has beaten them down and they are both like robots trying to play the whole game like its the last minute of play.

renney had the 4th line out there with 2:10 left last night. again, sorry but you do not put your weakest players on the ice with 2 minutes to go in a 2-1 game. if you must play betts- then shorten the bench and play him with someone other than colton friggin orr.

i like dimitri kalinin. i just do. i swear, hes no worse than redden or rozy. the guy can play and no matter what, compared to the money we are playing those 2 clowns, hes a steal. mara too. love him. imagine this team with striet and orpik instead of redden and rozy?

the end of that game was a mess. we miss and open net chance and then give up a near 2 on 1 the other way and force hank to make what 4 big saves to preserve the win. bad. and renney still seems to be a deer in the headlights when its crunch time.

irregardless of the record, the isle play us tough in their building. thats a given. but, and this is important, we always play the same game no matter who we play. dont buy into the tough defensive game crap- like that was some renney strategy. thats the only game we have. we havent got the ability to play any other way. if we give up 2 goals or less we usually can get to a so atleast and maybe win. give up 3 and we will probably lose. 4 goals and forgedaboudit....

bottom line, we need the points. a win is a win. all of us would feel so much better though it we could just biotch slap these weaker teams and win a games 4-1 and be in control form start to finish rather than scrambling to get the win. at some point, this team needs to start making other teams respect us and after watching last nights game, we have a ways to go yet.

oh, and lets fire perry pearn and tom renney.
i agree with just about everything you said, except the rozsival hate. is he shaky at times? yep. are his errors unsubtle? absolutely...

but give his game another look. he goes that extra few inches to make headstrong plays and throws his weight around behind and in front of his own net. he is a great outlet passer and can slow the other team's momentum down with puck control. he is good to have on the point and turns away 2 on 2's, 1 on 1's, 2 on 1's all ****ing day. rarely does he EVER not do his job in these situations. there are very few defensemen who play like him. he is the glue that is holding the D together. and worth every penny.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:12 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You be a hater, no way to reason with you. You say stuff like 'huge dose of goalscoring' & 'complete coaqching overhaul' and i'm the one that is way off of reality.

You are having a horrible year following this team, you hate life right now, I really feel for you, I do.
too funny. you use language that gives away your age. im assuming you are one of these 20 something year old fans that has been following the rangers for 30 yrs....

that may be the single funniest thing ive read on this forum in quite awhile. really. who are you now, dr. frikin phil?

stop trying to psychoanalyze me and just look at his team for what it is.

oh.... and before i forget.

fire renney and pearn.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
On the other hand, how much credit should we give our own team? How much did we create and how much could we test their goaltenders? Not much. Islanders had the better overall game in practically every aspect (creating quality chances, shots, crashing the net, hitting, pace), while we had the better goaltender.

I don't hold a grudge for it though, it has almost always looked like this. Islanders have outworked us a majority of the games between us. It's like they wake up and play the game of their lives when we face eachother, then it's back to "normality".

We handled ourselves better defensively than before, which has been the pattern of these last couple of games. Our real problem now, as before, is our complete inability to create scoring opportunities and actually scoring at those. And yeah, our PP is still bloody awful. We were supposed to be a speedy, north-south team this season, but I haven't seen much of that. We are more of the team that has to react to the other teams' tactics, instead of the other way around. It's we who are constantly caught on our heels.

This team is concerningly enough still a one trick pony. Lundqvist. If he stands on his head, we have a chance to win. If not, we lose. It's not good and we all know it.
Well the Islanders had more chances but what I saw is us back-off and just not test the other goaltender more or less because it seemed like Renney liked our chances better if we sat on a 2-1 lead than if we tried to build on that lead and maybe turned it over. After that first period there weren't many odd-man rushes I can recall against us. Lundqvist was good and he made some timely saves in the 3rd period especially with little time left. Maybe I'm delusional but I don't remember him seeing many shots during the 2nd or the 3rd until late.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:22 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
There is no middle ground with you and your kind of thinking, just 'tear it all down and start over these guys suck'. I'm not saying we are the best team in the league, not even in our own division(9-3 record though) i'm just excepting that we're flawed but headed in the right direction. The youth on this team concerns me most. I think we have them in a good place to learn and get better.

As for having as much young talent as other teams - we don't, and i blame Sather for not starting to rebuild when he first got here but that was many moons ago, we have to concentrate on the now - what we have and what can be built on. 29 teams in the league would LOVE to have a Lundqvist. Those same teams would kill to get a Marc Staal. Not to mention the top rated offensive rookie Dman in the "A", and a very nice looking prospect in Del Zotto. If Henke & those Dmen live up to expectations we don't need to worry so much about the other teams having such great scoring will we?

These are positives that keep me hopeful when we have a top prospect die, a top prospect bust and several other bad luck cases happen before our eyes over the years.
the only thing that's difficult to deal with about our system for me right now is that we have no potential top goal scorer at least none that we really know of on the way anytime soon.

It also stresses me that despite how awesome Sanguinetti is known to be offensively, that's going to disapear in the NHL because of Renney. We're JUST this season finally starting to see Staal move the puck into the zone we saw him do in Juniors. He used to never even attempt it. And I know he's more defensive minded but he would go coast to coast no problem in juniors and just bury it. Would've liked to see him at least PINCH or join the rush more often earlier on.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
too funny. you use language that gives away your age. im assuming you are one of these 20 something year old fans that has been following the rangers for 30 yrs....

that may be the single funniest thing ive read on this forum in quite awhile. really. who are you now, dr. frikin phil?

fire renney and pearn.

Clever.

Despite a half-assed effort last night, we came away with a win. I don't understand how there is SO MUCH FREAKIN' PANIC when the team is in a very good position to make the playoffs, and we're more than halfway through the season! If we were out of a playoff spot right now, or free-falling completely, then I could understand the panic. But until then, some of you really need to relax. Seriously.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Leave the personal attacks out of the discussion. You know who you are.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:27 PM
045NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Well the Islanders had more chances but what I saw is us back-off and just not test the other goaltender more or less because it seemed like Renney liked our chances better if we sat on a 2-1 lead than if we tried to build on that lead and maybe turned it over. After that first period there weren't many odd-man rushes I can recall against us. Lundqvist was good and he made some timely saves in the 3rd period especially with little time left. Maybe I'm delusional but I don't remember him seeing many shots during the 2nd or the 3rd until late.
the islanders did have a lot of chances, but we could have made this game easily a 3 or 4 goal game. cally missed 2 open nets and prucha couldnt bury the pass from duby. so we did have some good chances. overall they did out-play us though.

045NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:33 PM
John Torturella

The ice conditions were terrible last night. Makes me wonder if they intentionally made the ice terrible as it was hot as I have ever felt in any hockey rink. I was actually sweating. Could be one reason why we had trouble controlling the puck and getting out of our zone last night.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:35 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
The ice conditions were terrible last night. Makes me wonder if they intentionally made the ice terrible as it was hot as I have ever felt in any hockey rink. I was actually sweating. Could be one reason why we had trouble controlling the puck and getting out of our zone last night.
It could just be how run down the Colliseum is too.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

fire renney and pearn.

I'm sure you'll find a reason to fire Mike Pelino eventually too

I'm not into namecalling and all that...I WAS, but now i'm not

I'm in my 30's and I call this team like I see it. No need to get upset and rant and rave cause they're not an elite team, thats all i'm saying. I just can't imagine why you would want to come here so much and spread so much hate, like Fly said, maybe people just need a place to vent, and thats a good thing. I did it from 98-2005 when it made sense to rail against this organization.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

I'm in my 30's and I call this team like I see it. No need to get upset and rant and rave cause they're not an elite team, thats all i'm saying. I just can't imagine why you would want to come here so much and spread so much hate, like Fly said, maybe people just need a place to vent, and thats a good thing. I did it from 98-2005 when it made sense to rail against this organization.
No need to even reply to him. His avatar is a perfect description of him on this board. Some people

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:50 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
It could just be how run down the Colliseum is too.
I dont know about that. I have been to plenty of games there, as well as the last one. I dont remember it being so warm or the ice lookings so bad for that matter. Could be gamesmanship on the Isles part.

Put a bad ice surface out there, send a 3 man forecheck, making it very hard for the Ranger d-man to get the puck past the oncoming forecheckers.

Just a thought. I would not even blame them if they did this.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:58 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
Clever.

Despite a half-assed effort last night, we came away with a win. I don't understand how there is SO MUCH FREAKIN' PANIC when the team is in a very good position to make the playoffs, and we're more than halfway through the season! If we were out of a playoff spot right now, or free-falling completely, then I could understand the panic. But until then, some of you really need to relax. Seriously.
i am concerned with this team and its makeup. the continued lack of goal scoring and woeful pp concerns me. where we are now is a measure of the past not the present.

forgive me if i dare to critique the team or make observations and suggestions.

and for the record, i am quite relaxed.

Old
01-14-2009, 03:59 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
No need to even reply to him. His avatar is a perfect description of him on this board. Some people
my avatar is my reminder to all of you that i um........ am not a big tom renney fan.

Old
01-14-2009, 04:07 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

i dont care about pelino really. hes a pk guy and out pk is one of the best.

i dont spread hate bro. at all. thats your call. some will say hate, others will see humor, some will see truth and perhaps i may even have a few who are in agreement. whatever, this is the team we have and each see them differently.

expression comes in all forms. i only respond to those who get at me and call me out for my opinions. i am consistent in what i say because i say it with conviction. i believe this team would be better off without renney and pearn. so i say so. alot.

i say the pp bloes horse. and costs us points. it does. and i say so.

there are those who see the glass half full with this team. so be it. and then there are those who dont. we can agree to disagree. no need to get your panties in a bunch. its all good.