HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Johnson

Old
01-14-2009, 12:27 PM
SFKingshomer

vCash: 500
I'd like to apologize to Habs fans on behalf of Kings fans for that joke of a proposal by Kurrlino or whatever his name is.

Pacioretty/A. Kostitsyn/1st/Mcdonagh is severely overrating JJ.

I live an hour from where Pacioretty played in the USHL and let me tell you Habs fans, he is special. Him and Phil DeSimone tore it up for Sioux City in the 2 games I watched. Andreas Nodl was matched up against him and he's not even close to being as good as Pacioretty.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
If a guy's dad is at practice, talking to the media, alarms go of in my head and believ me, it's very seldom that anything happens up there.

Jesus Christ, imagine Toe Blake hearing that Cournoyer's Dad was telling the media that all was well. Thank God, Toe's not around for this.

That is the same knock many people are starting to have with Crosby. Living with the owner and the dad at too many team functions.

I agree. Grow a set.

Remember the Next One...Lindros...

Those who do not heed history....

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:45 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
That is the same knock many people are starting to have with Crosby. Living with the owner and the dad at too many team functions.

I agree. Grow a set.

Remember the Next One...Lindros...

Those who do not heed history....
There's a point that you stop driving them to games, and even if you just like to be around, do it quietly.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
There's a point that you stop driving them to games, and even if you just like to be around, do it quietly.
or "Dad, it's time you got a girlfriend to keep you busy now that you have retired because of me."

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjidm View Post
I highly doubt the King's will trade Jack. Jack's dad is at a lot of the King's practices and talks to fans whoever wants to speak with him. He did mention he was a little frustrated on how things were being run last year (Crawford not letting the young ones play), but thinks the Kings are now in the right direction.
Quote:
If a guy's dad is at practice, talking to the media, alarms go of in my head and believ me, it's very seldom that anything happens up there.
Seems like there's a bit of a difference in what was written and what was read that's causing some weird misconceptions about Jack Johnson and his father. There has thankfully been no indications of a Carl Lindros streak in Jack Johnson Sr.

There was an in-depth feature on Fox Sports on Jack Johnson where his parents talked about being a bit disturbed that the Carolina Hurricanes would approach them directly to try and influence their son's decision about playing at Michigan versus the NHL. To me, the willingness to be hands-off and allow their child to make his own decision should be enough to dispel the "Lindros" comparison.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:21 PM
BulldogFever

I'd have to do it! If Komi goes, we don't have any physical d-men except Hamrlik (and sometimes Gorges). JJ is a beast, don't even try to make an argument to keep Higgins. I love the guy's style but MaxPac's sudden emergence makes him redundant.

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:44 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
Seems like there's a bit of a difference in what was written and what was read that's causing some weird misconceptions about Jack Johnson and his father. There has thankfully been no indications of a Carl Lindros streak in Jack Johnson Sr.

There was an in-depth feature on Fox Sports on Jack Johnson where his parents talked about being a bit disturbed that the Carolina Hurricanes would approach them directly to try and influence their son's decision about playing at Michigan versus the NHL. To me, the willingness to be hands-off and allow their child to make his own decision should be enough to dispel the "Lindros" comparison.
I read the poster's comments as stuff the guy said around the rink, if it's not, no big deal.

Regarding the whole Canes/JJ saga. I remember McGuire at some point in his radio bit talking about the draft process. He says he asked JJ, and I may have gotten this wrong and it was a Canes representative, if he would sign with them after a year or so, he amsered yes. I always found it odd that no one ever ran with that, as that answer definitely affected the process.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
I read the poster's comments as stuff the guy said around the rink, if it's not, no big deal.
His father is very approachable so he'll talk to anyone who wants to strike him up for a conversation. I'm just saying he doesn't air out anything through the media, nor is he the type to meddle in his son's affairs in unnecessary fashion.

Quote:
Regarding the whole Canes/JJ saga. I remember McGuire at some point in his radio bit talking about the draft process. He says he asked JJ, and I may have gotten this wrong and it was a Canes representative, if he would sign with them after a year or so, he amsered yes. I always found it odd that no one ever ran with that, as that answer definitely affected the process.
As you noted he answered yes and it's exactly what he ended up doing by signing with the Kings at the end of his second year in college. Johnson didn't want to sign right away with the Hurricanes because that would have made him ineligible to play for Michigan University, which was a personal dream of his.

The Hurricanes' front office began an effort to pressure him into leaving early with multiple phone calls, e-mails, text messages, and even an attempt to try to convince his parents to change Johnson's mind. Needless to say that really put him off with the organization and his continued denials eventually forced Caronlina's hand because they wanted to defend their Stanley Cup title.

Old
01-14-2009, 05:12 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
His father is very approachable so he'll talk to anyone who wants to strike him up for a conversation. I'm just saying he doesn't air out anything through the media, nor is he the type to meddle in his son's affairs in unnecessary fashion.

As you noted he answered yes and it's exactly what he ended up doing by signing with the Kings at the end of his second year in college. Johnson didn't want to sign right away with the Hurricanes because that would have made him ineligible to play for Michigan University, which was a personal dream of his.

The Hurricanes' front office began an effort to pressure him into leaving early with multiple phone calls, e-mails, text messages, and even an attempt to try to convince his parents to change Johnson's mind. Needless to say that really put him off with the organization and his continued denials eventually forced Caronlina's hand because they wanted to defend their Stanley Cup title.
What did they get when they trade EJ?

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
What did they get when they trade EJ?
You meant JJ (Jack Johnson) and not EJ (Erik Johnson of the St. Louis Blues) ...right?

Jack Johnson netted Carolina: Eric Belanger, Tim Gleason, and the ability to salary dump Oleg Tverdovsky onto the Kings. They had signed Tverdovsky to a contract that had two-years remaining at $2.5 million a season that they wanted no part of anymore.