HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Monkey?

Old
01-14-2009, 03:53 PM
tcjsport1928

vCash: 500
Hockey Monkey?

I am just wondering if anyone has ordered from http://www.hockeymonkey.com? I am just seeing if this site is legitimate and if you think it is a good equipment site. Thanks.

tcjsport1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:54 PM
RJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcjsport1928 View Post
I am just wondering if anyone has ordered from http://www.hockeymonkey.com? I am just seeing if this site is legitimate and if you think it is a good equipment site. Thanks.

very legit i use that site or ice warehouse

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:56 PM
rk50

Use it all the time. No problems.

rk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:02 PM
tcjsport1928

Great thank you for the quick feedback. Im going to order some Easton s5 gloves that are priced real well.

Old
01-14-2009, 04:53 PM
kmd mode

i love it, i buy almost all my gear from there.

kmd mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Griff57

pretty much all my equipment is from goaliemonkey...which is the same company. always had very good luck with them.

Griff57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Great thank you for the quick feedback. Im going to order some Easton s5 gloves that are priced real well.
Like the other guys, I've used HockeyMonkey plenty of times and haven't had any big issues. The S5 glove in particular, you might have a better selection of colors/sizes by ordering off of HockeyGiant. They also have the glove for $29.99 with the coupon code easton0114.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:02 PM
raganblink

Although, you really should buy stuff at your local store.

Why? Because if they don't have it, they can order it. And if they do have it, you get it right away.

And if they go out of business, who will sharpen skates? Who will be able you to try on equipment? You'll always guess on sizes and sometimes (alot of times, actually) you get ripped off. Their "suggested retail price" or regular price, whatever they call it, is about 10% higher than what the company suggests them to sell it at.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:02 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

They're legit, but I have better luck with prices at icewarehouse.com on some items.

edit: raganblink, not all local stores have a lot of selection, and the prices are higher. And if they have to order it, the only benefit they have is gone- that is, being able to try stuff on. While LHS are nice, Online does have better prices, and judging by the poster's remark about a great deal, that's more important to him. As long as he doesn't go in and cost them money, I don't see a problem.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

one of the biggest online hockey stores

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post

Why? Because if they don't have it, they can order it. And if they do have it, you get it right away.
Like cptjeff says, it's all relative to your local store. If my memory serves me correctly, you're in Canada so your stores will be much better stocked than mine here in San Diego. I try to give my local shop as much business as possible, but if I walked in right now, they probably don't have a single pair of 13" gloves. My local rink also stocks equipment, but they mark everything up.

Old
01-14-2009, 05:29 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post

And if they go out of business, who will sharpen skates? Who will be able you to try on equipment? You'll always guess on sizes and sometimes (alot of times, actually) you get ripped off. Their "suggested retail price" or regular price, whatever they call it, is about 10% higher than what the company suggests them to sell it at.
I'm a major supporter of local pro shops, but if the store isn't used as a fitting room, you are doing absolutely nothing wrong by going online. IMO

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:37 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
What are peoples opinion of buying hockey pants online without trying on? I always used a local store in Calgary, but now I've moved to downtown Vancouver and don't think I have one close by. I need to replace my pants, and have some Christmas money to spend, so was looking at the Tackla's on this Hockey Monkey site. By their chart I should be a large, is this something I can just go ahead and by or should I try on first?

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Hockey Monkey is awesome, although I usually drive down there when I need to buy something. It's about an hour away but it's worth it.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:59 PM
tcjsport1928

thanks for all of the help. Brodeur I checked hockey giant and i got that promotion code as well but they do not have the color i am looking for. I usually buy my equipment at the local shop but they are selling the s5 gloves for 70, when i can wait a week and get them for a little over 40 with shipping and handling.

Old
01-14-2009, 06:30 PM
JorgeRocks!

Only thing I have heard is that the sticks are whippier than they should be when people get them. One guy said he got a 87 flex, but it felt more like a 77.

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 06:40 PM
pgreene

great site, good help. in fact, i just got a new order from them today and called with questions, got them answered immediately.

oh, and for those saying "buy local," keep in mind that much of the universe doesn't have hockey stores local. i don't think there's a dedicated hockey store in my entire state, much less one "local." i gotta get gear somewhere...

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
What are peoples opinion of buying hockey pants online without trying on? I always used a local store in Calgary, but now I've moved to downtown Vancouver and don't think I have one close by. I need to replace my pants, and have some Christmas money to spend, so was looking at the Tackla's on this Hockey Monkey site. By their chart I should be a large, is this something I can just go ahead and by or should I try on first?
Do you have a car? If so you should check out The Hockey Shop in Surrey (http://www.thehockeyshop.com/). If not there is also Cyclone Taylor which is quite good as well, they have locations in Vancouver, Surrey, Richmond and Coquitlam (http://www.cyclonetaylor.com/). I just started getting into ice hockey and The Hockey Shop is definitely great service in getting me geared up.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:44 AM
spjon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Like the other guys, I've used HockeyMonkey plenty of times and haven't had any big issues. The S5 glove in particular, you might have a better selection of colors/sizes by ordering off of HockeyGiant. They also have the glove for $29.99 with the coupon code easton0114.
Buy from Hockey Giant only if you want gear from companies going out of business or if it 3 years old. Hockey Giant, at least every time I have ordered from them, has screwed up my ordered and taken forever to get the order correct (at least 6 weeks for a pair of hockey socks)

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:13 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I did that with my Tacklas (which I found on sale for about $50 bucks for the pro pant, so I couldn't not do it) And the waist size chart worked fine. Pants are actually one of the items that you can fit better online as long as you don't care about length too much as waist size is pretty reliable.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:21 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
I had a wheelbag from Hockeymonkey years back. It had hockeymonkey.com logos on it, which was kinda lame.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:41 AM
stick9

Quote:
thanks for all of the help. Brodeur I checked hockey giant and i got that promotion code as well but they do not have the color i am looking for. I usually buy my equipment at the local shop but they are selling the s5 gloves for 70, when i can wait a week and get them for a little over 40 with shipping and handling.
I'm a big "go to your LHS guy" but this is one of those times where deal is too good to pass up.

I only once from hockeymonkey and I had to return it. Never had a problem with the order or the return. I've since used hockeygiant and icewarehouse. Both of which were very good.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by spjon25 View Post
Buy from Hockey Giant only if you want gear from companies going out of business or if it 3 years old. Hockey Giant, at least every time I have ordered from them, has screwed up my ordered and taken forever to get the order correct (at least 6 weeks for a pair of hockey socks)
Yeah, I also try to avoid HG unless there's a tremendous deal to be had. They had a 30% off coupon in December, so that was a nice deal for Xmas gifts. Although the one bonus is that the warehouse they ship out of is in northern San Diego, so things generally get shipped pretty quickly to me.

Old
01-15-2009, 02:23 PM
DevsFan84

I've never had a problem with Hockey Monkey (specifically, Goalie Monkey but one in the same)

Hockey Giant aka Goaliedeals.com is another story though. I've had nothing but problems with them.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:41 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Icewarehouse > Hockeymonkey

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote