HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm/tor

Old
01-14-2009, 04:07 PM
FruityPants3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Which is just as ridiculous as the first proposal.
Yes, clearly undersized, second year pros on pace for 8 goals and a 1st round pick are worth an exponential amount more than one of the top 10 defensemen in the league who is on an affordable contract.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:09 PM
bang bang

At least its not as bad as the Ryder Halak and 2nd proposal

bang bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:13 PM
BattleGuy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
Yes, clearly undersized, second year pros on pace for 8 goals and a 1st round pick are worth an exponential amount more than one of the top 10 defensemen in the league who is on an affordable contract.
It sure is when your giving up one of the best young players in the game for a defensemen who would be on the 3rd pairing and costs too much money.

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:22 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
It sure is when your giving up one of the best young players in the game for a defensemen who would be on the 3rd pairing and costs too much money.
I agree he's not a good fit in Edmonton, but that's getting silly. I think that something similar is what it would cost to get him and of course Edmonton would pass, but I think that's the value...

Old
01-14-2009, 04:27 PM
IWD

Quote:
Just so I can fully understand what you're saying. And so that every one else reads it.

Are you suggesting that Kaberle is a third-pairing defenseman and Schremp is one of the best young players in the game?

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale View Post
Just so I can fully understand what you're saying. And so that every one else reads it.

Are you suggesting that Kaberle is a third-pairing defenseman and Schremp is one of the best young players in the game?
I think what he's saying is that, at the moment, we don't need a top 4 offensive defenceman and the young player he's talking about is Gagner, not Schremp.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:48 PM
BattleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
I think what he's saying is that, at the moment, we don't need a top 4 offensive defenceman and the young player he's talking about is Gagner, not Schremp.
Yep your bang on. I was talking about Gagner. And I think Kaberle is a great Dman. But we're not breaking up our top two pairings so Thomas would be on our 3rd pairing with Staios. That's just too much to give up for a player we dont' want

Old
01-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Homesick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBro View Post
to TOR
Schremp
Garon

to EDM

Kaberle
1. Please tell me you're a Leafs fan
2. The value isnt there for Toronto.
3. I can't see why theLeafs would want Garon(for even a mid round pick)
4. Edmonton doesnt really need 4 defenseman making 4+ million.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:12 PM
brevard*

Toronto may be on the outside looking in trying to find a deal for Kaberle. I agree that normally he would be worth a good prospect and 1st round pick however even with his personal low price tag the salary cap has changed things.
If a team already has his role filled they are not going to be interested. In that respect sometimes a guy being a rental UFA gives him more value than a guy signed long term at good numbers. The team can use him for the cup run and not be tied down after. Kaberle's contract eliminates nearly all of the top 10 ranked teams (excepting maybe New Jersey and Washington) from interest.
I could see Florida as a possible home for Kaberle in a deal where JayBo and a 1st come back to Toronto but while Kaberle is a good talent he has very few proper suitors at this time.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Arian

Quote:
Kaberle 3rd pairing LOL? He's a first pairing defenseman, and Schremp as said before is close to being a failed prospect.

Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:24 PM
My Sweet Shadow

The shoe is on the other foot for this one.

But no, there's no way Toronto even considers this. We don't need two average starters and a career AHL-er. And just why does Edmonton want another offensive defenseman? Aren't Souray, Visnovsky, Gilbert, and Grebeshkov enough?

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 06:00 PM
BattleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arian View Post
Kaberle 3rd pairing LOL? He's a first pairing defenseman, and Schremp as said before is close to being a failed prospect.
I was talking about Gagner and not Schremp..but Shremp is outscoring every prospect Toronto has. So i guess Toronto has no prospects.

Old
01-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arian View Post
Um...yes. On the Oilers he'd be a third pairing d-man. This thread's value isn't about Kaberle...for that you can start a value of thread. This thread is regarding a specific team...so try looking at it from EDM's POV.

Souray, Vishnovsky, Gilbert, Grebeshkov are all puck rushing d-men that fit well into EDM's system. The pairings are working very well and you don't mess with the pairings when they're working. That means Kaberle would be on the third line with Staios.

Even if you ignore all those puck rushers EDM has Petry and Chorney in the system both of which are projected to be top 2 pairing d-men.

Schremp may be seen as a failed propsect by many, but even Schremp for Kaberle wouldn't fit EDM's needs, wants, or salary cap. So for EDM's POV Schremp for Kaberle isn't a good deal unless they first trade off Vishnovsky...a guy who has been playing VERY well in EDM. Why move a guy that's playing well, has a big contract so it'll be harder to move him, and seems to love the city for someone who might not like playing here?

In terms of raw value Schremp + Garon does not = Kaberle. In value to EDM Kaberle = pick (2nd or third) and low prospect.
It would be too much work to try and enjoy 2 years of Kabs salary before he wanted his own raise...just doesn't make sense.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBro View Post
guys are funny. ive seen hella worse than this. from what ive seen everyone thinks kaberle is worth a blue chip + 1st. I really dont like kabs and would be happy to see him go as one of the last long standing leafs. Adding Garon would make a nice tandem tosk+garon (plus leafs would have to take some salary back in the deal) and schremp is ready to play NOW instead of waiting another 2-3 years for the draft to work....if it does at all.

EDM doesnt seem to want schremp with the big club and Garon releases their 3 man goaltending "issue".

Are we still dreaming of hodgson + 1st???
Are you high?

Obama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Let's add in Schenn and Kulemin guys!

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:11 PM
GRIZZ

WOW How many times are we going to see this thread?

GRIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:20 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard View Post
Toronto may be on the outside looking in trying to find a deal for Kaberle. I agree that normally he would be worth a good prospect and 1st round pick however even with his personal low price tag the salary cap has changed things.
If a team already has his role filled they are not going to be interested. In that respect sometimes a guy being a rental UFA gives him more value than a guy signed long term at good numbers. The team can use him for the cup run and not be tied down after. Kaberle's contract eliminates nearly all of the top 10 ranked teams (excepting maybe New Jersey and Washington) from interest.
I could see Florida as a possible home for Kaberle in a deal where JayBo and a 1st come back to Toronto but while Kaberle is a good talent he has very few proper suitors at this time.
As I mentioned in the other thread, what is to stop ANY team that can fit him in at the deadline from treating him like a rental and flipping him in the offseason to recover some of those assets? (beyond the NTC, which is obviously being waived the first time). Plus, he's the kind of defenseman on a solid contract you don't mind restructuring a defense around.